BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,814 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

Friend said Tanaka Ramen has closed. I can find no confirmation of this online. I hope not as it's one of my go-to places.
my kids will hate this....they love that place. me - not so much. i can't eat 3000 carbs in one setting without feeling sick. i can certainly drink 3000 carbs though.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
TyHolden said:

FlyRod said:

Friend said Tanaka Ramen has closed. I can find no confirmation of this online. I hope not as it's one of my go-to places.
my kids will hate this....they love that place. me - not so much. i can't eat 3000 carbs in one setting without feeling sick. i can certainly drink 3000 carbs though.
Where does Egg Nog fall in on this scale of calorie consumption?
TyHolden
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

TyHolden said:

FlyRod said:

Where does Egg Nog fall in on this scale of calorie consumption?
I'd puke it up probably so I'd guess negative calories.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Captn_Ag05 said:

lockett93 said:

Per BCAD COCS still owns the property. So I'm guessing Levcor didnt complete the acquisition.

I'm having some trouble (ooops) following the maps and such. The map included shows Pebble Creek Pkwy but that road does not fit with the others.

In the material from the website, the land is the property to the north of Costco which was announced as part of some large development deal months ago. The beginning part of the OG Levcor document seems to show that. The streets match on their map.

The included map shows a different land use with the middle retail gone and different dividing toward the rear and then a large plot defined for hotel/multi-family.

I'm assuming the PCPkwy road designation is a mistake when making the map. I should be Corporate Pkwy.
Would an upscale hotel be a good idea for SoCS? Is real estate cost there viable for a hotel project?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

lockett93 said:

Per BCAD COCS still owns the property. So I'm guessing Levcor didnt complete the acquisition.

I'm assuming the PCPkwy road designation is a mistake when making the map. I should be Corporate Pkwy.
Would an upscale hotel be a good idea for SoCS? Is real estate cost there viable for a hotel project?
I believe that is getting into property that is near where the sketches of the potential convention center/ multipurpose center would be, so it may be the hotel associated with the multipurpose center if that all comes to fruition.
snaglepuss
Anyone heard of what's to be going in at the corner of HWY6 and Tabor Rd. Sam has sold the J&S body shop property and is moving to a different site on HWY6. Prime corner!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plans have been submitted for a new apartment tower in Northgate at 415 College Main (called "The Pinecrest"). This is across College Main from the Factory apartments (corner of College Main and Cherry). It will be 20 stories and house 199 units (605 bedrooms). The developer is Rhode Partners (https://www.rhodepartners.com/).

This will be a busy area for construction as work recently began on an 8-story apartment at the corner of College Main and Cherry that is diagonal to this project.

Rex Racer
AG
I have to ask the question: When are we overbuilt in the rental market?
techno-ag
AG
Rex Racer said:

They were asking that years ago, though. The way I heard it dorms were deliberately never heavily built out, so rental unit expansion has been a thing ever since they rescinded the Corps requirement.

Plus now we're the largest university in the country by student pop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_by_enrollment
maroon barchetta
Where will their waste water go?
TommyBrady
AG
We will hit 80,000 students in 5 years
Rex Racer
AG
techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

They were asking that years ago, though. The way I heard it dorms were deliberately never heavily built out, so rental unit expansion has been a thing ever since they rescinded the Corps requirement.

Plus now we're the largest university in the country by student pop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_public_university_campuses_by_enrollment
I'm well aware, but how many 20 story apartment buildings and other large complexes can we support? I also know that RELLIS is growing and will continue to do so, so maybe we're nowhere near overbuilt. Just asking the question.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The REV, which is the newest high-rise that was just completed is completely sold out with a pretty long wait list for every floor plan. Students want to be in that area and in the new, nice places. I think student populations at places along Southwest Parkway and near the mall, for example, will continue to decline and those apartments will either continue to go down-hill, repurpose themselves to appeal to non-student populations, or be torn down and replaced with other development. Students consolidating near the University is a great thing in my opinion.

This development would add housing for 600. If A&M and RELLIS are adding 2,000 students a year for the next few years, you'd need 5-6 more of these type of developments just to keep up.

I am surprised with the growth of RELLIS and expected further growth, that there aren't any new apartment or commercial/fast food development going on along 47.
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plans have been submitted for a new apartment tower in Northgate at 415 College Main (called "The Pinecrest"). This is across College Main from the Factory apartments (corner of College Main and Cherry). It will be 20 stories and house 199 units (605 bedrooms). The developer is Rhode Partners (https://www.rhodepartners.com/).

This will be a busy area for construction as work recently began on an 8-story apartment at the corner of College Main and Cherry that is diagonal to this project.

Lately, it seems like we always have 2 or 3 under construction in the Northgate area. What is the likelihood the 8 story can finish before the 20 story plans are approved and construction starts in earnest?
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The REV, which is the newest high-rise that was just completed is completely sold out with a pretty long wait list for every floor plan. Students want to be in that area and in the new, nice places. I think student populations at places along Southwest Parkway and near the mall, for example, will continue to decline and those apartments will either continue to go down-hill, repurpose themselves to appeal to non-student populations, or be torn down and replaced with other development. Students consolidating near the University is a great thing in my opinion.

This development would add housing for 600. If A&M and RELLIS are adding 2,000 students a year for the next few years, you'd need 5-6 more of these type of developments just to keep up.

I am surprised with the growth of RELLIS and expected further growth, that there aren't any new apartment or commercial/fast food development going on along 47.

My only thought on that is there is nothing out at RELLIS. Having an apartment out there would make the commute to school/work nice, but then you have to take a trip to get to anything else.

And without any residential, any restaurant would basically be a lunch only thing with very little dinner traffic.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Pickleball Kingdom announced that they have a franchisee opening a location in College Station.

https://pickleballkingdom.com/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pickleball-kingdom-continues-expansion-throughout-texas-with-new-premier-indoor-franchise-in-bryancollege-station-301901010.html
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

This keeps me up at night…tidal wave of wastewater toppling my house.
Captn_Ag05
AG
6 Whiskey Co, a "Texas lifestyle brand" announced they are relocating from Marfa to BCS.

https://6whiskey.com/
Hornbeck
TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

This keeps me up at night…tidal wave of wastewater toppling my house.

To answer the question, down Rosemary.
TyHolden
AG
More wind to keep us cool....

MS08
AG
Do not be thrown off by the high-rise building type and how many stories: 605 rooms is the main thing to focus on. That's a drop in the bucket compared overall student population.

Put three of them together and you get 2000 beds. That's still 20% of the incoming freshmen class.
rocketscience
AG
There's a discussion by the regents at this weeks' meetings about the potential development of an applied research lab at the RELLIS campus. I think this could potentially be pretty big for Brazos County (t.u.'s employs about 500, Penn State's employs about 1000, and Johns Hopkins APL employs about 8000). It could also help attract defense companies to set up a presence here too. With the Bush Complex, upcoming hypersonic wind tunnel, and upcoming semiconductor research center it's a no brainer in my opinion.

https://www.tamus.edu/regents/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2023/08/AGENDA-August-17-2023-F-1.pdf
AggieCVQ
I work in software remotely in BCS and an ARL would be a dream come true. I know the pay is never amazing, but advancing science is such a noble goal. Would love to do that in a few years.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I am no rocket scientist, but I agree.
Rex Racer
AG
rocketscience said:

There's a discussion by the regents at this weeks' meetings about the potential development of an applied research lab at the RELLIS campus. I think this could potentially be pretty big for Brazos County (t.u.'s employs about 500, Penn State's employs about 1000, and Johns Hopkins APL employs about 8000). It could also help attract defense companies to set up a presence here too. With the Bush Complex, upcoming hypersonic wind tunnel, and upcoming semiconductor research center it's a no brainer in my opinion.

https://www.tamus.edu/regents/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2023/08/AGENDA-August-17-2023-F-1.pdf

Also the military proving ground.
kraut
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

6 Whiskey Co, a "Texas lifestyle brand" announced they are relocating from Marfa to BCS.

You don't know how disappointed I was clicking that link and finding clothing for sale instead of alcohol.

Edit - disappointed in my spelling this morning.
trouble
AG
And tacky overpriced clothing at that
medicalag
AG
Me too!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

And tacky overpriced clothing at that
that's what hipsters wear every day....
trouble
AG
My point stands
treyyates
AG
kraut said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

You don't know how disappointed I was clicking that link and finding clothing for sale instead of alcohol.

I agree but I believe 6Whiskey was her grandfathers tail number/call sign in Korea
Captn_Ag05
AG
kraut said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I tried to prevent any false sense of excitement by putting their description of a Texas lifestyle brand.

The location will be out at Lake Walk.
trouble
AG
Whiskey is a lifestyle, sir
medicalag
AG
So right….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Fair

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.