BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,789 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw a concrete pumper and lots of concrete trucks coming and going at the Holleman/Wellborn McDonald's site this morning
AggiePhil
AG
Very likely. They're building a new McDonald's.
BQ_90
AG
AggiePhil said:

how many times will this make it for that location, is this the 3rd or 4th version
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Wellborn/GB location is being bulldozed. They are replacing with the new one at Wellborn and Holleman.
maroon barchetta
AggiePhil said:

AggiePhil
AG
LOL, I know. I was just messing around. There will continue to be lots of construction activity at that location as they build the new store.
PS3D
BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

how many times will this make it for that location, is this the 3rd or 4th version
That McDonald's opened new c. 1996. It didn't replace anything else.
TyHolden
AG
PS3D said:

BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

the rumor was Coryatt owned it......or Buckley
maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

PS3D said:

BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

It was a hit!
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

PS3D said:

BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

It was a hit!
legend...I remember exactly where I was when this happened. Thursday night game - will never forget it.

maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

PS3D said:

BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

It was a hit!
legend...I remember exactly where I was when this happened. Thursday night game - will never forget it.

I was at Backstage in Houston getting ready to run lights for a friend's band

Wasn't that the same day that Magic announced he had HIV and he was retiring?
doubledog
MsDoubleD81 said:

rockelle said:

According to Councilwoman Shurtleff on WTAW this morning, a trolley service under a new federal grant will service downtown Bryan, midtown, Century Square and the MSC.

more info from KAGS
https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/local/brazos-transit-district-receives-965-million-dollar-grant-for-sustainable-public-transportation/499-c5927447-9698-4ea3-a923-2deae1efdd60#:~:text=BRYAN%2C%20Brazos%20County%20%E2%80%94%20The%20Brazos,emission%20vehicles%20around%20the%20nation.

https://150.bryantx.gov/timeline-1901-1930/
History repeating itself:
Starting in 1910 and running for 13 years, the Bryan-College Interurban Railway was a trolley line that connected Bryan to Texas A&M, four miles to the southeast. The trip from Bryan took 30 minutes, and the cost to ride was 15 cents round-trip.
Its reliability was often called into question, particularly in its early years when it was propelled along its tracks by an underpowered gasoline engine. These early cars had to be pushed up the Hillcrest incline on Saturday afternoons when the trolley was crowded. Eventually, the trolley was converted to electric power in 19 15.
When difficulties occurred (and they often did), the accepted cry was "Ladies, keep your seats; Profs, get out and walk; and Cadets, get out and push!"

Interesting! Wish COCS could do some type of transportation on game days. Didn't buses used to run from the mall or that big building out on University into campus?
So another bus route. Will the bus look like a trolley?
TXAGBQ76
AG
They run from downtown Bryan now
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

TyHolden said:

PS3D said:

BQ_90 said:

AggiePhil said:

It was a hit!

I was at Backstage in Houston getting ready to run lights for a friend's band

Wasn't that the same day that Magic announced he had HIV and he was retiring?
didn't realize that but yeah, it was the same day. coryatt stole magic's thunder....
michaelab
AG
I have all the information you need! Please feel free to ask any questions you have!

(Edit: Specifically about the De Baca Steakhouse query from yesterday though I can give all sorts of unreasonably false answers to any and all general questions)
Tailgate88
AG
michaelab said:

I have all the information you need! Please feel free to ask any questions you have!

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
maroon barchetta
michaelab said:

If God can do anything, can he make a rock so big that he can't lift it?
michaelab
AG
maroon barchetta said:

michaelab said:

If God can do anything, can he make a rock so big that he can't lift it?
LOL, well, I was attempting a response to a question about De Baca Steakhouse, so I'll let the philosophers ponder that answer! I have now learned about the quote and reply function.
michaelab
AG
Tailgate88 said:

michaelab said:

What is airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Straight to the gorge of eternal peril for me, I'm afraid. Although now I've learned about the quote and reply so I can make edit that this was in reply to De Baca Steakhouse
Tailgate88
AG
You can avoid the gorge of eternal peril if you tell us everything you know about said Steakhouse.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Burlington going in where Bed Bath and Beyond was per councilwoman Harvell.
Fbuckie
I've wondered for years why they weren't here. But now they open stores that are just like Marshall's/TJ Max. They are far from the large Burlingtons with tons of variety.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

They are going to kill selling all those coats for the six weeks of winter we normally get.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

They are going to kill selling all those coats for the six weeks of winter we normally get.

Except that one year we get Snowmageddon!
toolshed
AG
I saw the new Supermercado Poco Loco Mexican market store is open at 21 and Texas. Parking lot was packed today.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Burlington removed the coat factory branding years ago. As another poster said, they are very similar to Ross and Marshall's these days. A lot of clothes and some other things completely unorganized.
Bigfootisreal
So what is the lowdown on DeBaca?
michaelab
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

So what is the lowdown on DeBaca?
We're an upscale steakhouse coming to Tower Point in 2024! Our chef is Patrick Swetnam, a five-star chef coming from Colorado Springs. Jim Baca is owner/operator, and currently the point of contact. He's been in restaurants for 30 years. Jim and I moved here with our kids from Denver in 2015 and I teach at A&M. I got both my MA and PhD from A&M and I love teaching new generations of Aggies!

We are currently working on sourcing all local products and are very excited to work with the BCS community on all aspects of our project. Please reach out either to me on here or to jim@debacasteakhouse.com!

The menu will be locally sourced, high-quality fare. Think classic steakhouse with a modern twist! We'll offer an extensive wine list plus a full bar and a private dining room for events.

Sneak peak menu item: One of the stars of our menu is the table-side chateaubriand, recently featured in The Best of Aggieland cookbook!

Groundbreaking ceremony should be in the next couple of weeks and then construction will begin in earnest! Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer!
Tailgate88
AG
Definitely look forward to dining with you. Where in Tower Point?
michaelab
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Definitely look forward to dining with you. Where in Tower Point?

Right behind the IHOP!
PS3D
toolshed said:

I saw the new Supermercado Poco Loco Mexican market store is open at 21 and Texas. Parking lot was packed today.

Did they add a gas station component too?
toolshed
AG
Not that I noticed, unless it's on the side.
trouble
AG
Chill milkshakes and waffle bar has closed

maroon barchetta
I don't recall hearing that it existed. If I heard it, that info left my memory long ago.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I don't recall hearing that it existed. If I heard it, that info left my memory long ago.

We had gone a few times. Shakes were good but it was always empty. That retail location is tough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.