BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,517 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
DimeBox17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Bryan Marine is closing.
Is there any other place in town that works on boat motors?

The Right Shop out on Hwy 30 does.
EBrazosAg
AG
I would call them before going, because my understanding is they only work on one or two brands. I have no personal experience with that but was told as much.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DimeBox17
AG
Gotcha. I took a Mercury there two years ago and they completed the work but not sure about what they do and don't work on.
UmustBKidding
Does bryan outboard still do boats or only stihl power equipment now?
EBrazosAg
AG
They stopped several years ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Earlier this year there was a highly debated zoning change for property at Double Mountain Road and Medical Avenue near BSW. The zoning change was changing from medical office to allow for apartments. BSW supported it saying they needed more housing for staff and visiting physicians. The request was approved by council 4-3.

The developer has now registered their project with TDLR. It is called "Alamo Residences at Double Mountain Road."

It will be a 305,000 square feet in total, 336 apartment units, and I believe the plans that were provided to council during the zoning change request showed it to be several four-story buildings.

The expected completion date isn't until September 2025.

PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

CS published their Northeast Gateway Redevelopment Plan

Quote:

NORTHEAST GATEWAY REDEVELOPMENT PLAN

In response to recommendations made by residents and elected officials, the City of College Station began a planning effort for the Texas Avenue & University Drive (FM 60) Redevelopment Area in December 2022, which was renamed the Northeast Gateway Redevelopment Plan. The planning effort engaged property owners and interested residents in a visioning process to create a cohesive district that welcomes visitors and residents into the City, incorporates vertical and horizonal mixed-uses, supports existing commercial uses, and provides a greater mix of housing options to support the growing population seeking to live, work, and play near Texas A&M University.

The plan imagines changes to the area to better serve the two major corridors that intersect within the redevelopment area and complement the nearby hospitality corridor, Eastgate area, and Texas A&M University campus.

https://www.cstx.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_12410832/File/Departments/PDS/PLAN/Small%20Area%20Plans/Northeast-Gateway-Redevelopment-Plan.pdf

There is a lot of unpack with this. I am not sure how much of it is grounded in reality or things that will ever happen vs. a city planners fantasies. I do find it interesting that the "preferred scenario" (below) replaces the big box stores on Texas between Live Oak and Lincoln (Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc.) with more dense development.

I do hope a private developer purchases the U-haul property at Texas and University and redevelops that soon.

Tearing down the Eastgate area for a bunch of Austin/Houston bughives just seems like a bad idea.

The B&N/Office Depot/Best Buy shopping center is still going strong and isn't speckled with large vacancies like Post Oak Mall is, and some of those restaurants are popular. I'd like to see Las Palapas and the Vietnamese restaurant behind it replaced with new stuff.
UhOhNoAgTag
The Rock Prairie east widening project should be starting soon.

And what is the really nice house going in near Midtown/next to the church?
rocketscience
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I wish they would shift their focus away from "let's do everything right by campus" and worry about other parts of the city.

This, like building the new city hall where they built it and refurbishing the old fire station by city hall, looks like "we get more traffic along here, so let's pretty this all up".

City Hall should have gone down near the police station or the other city buildings south of Southwest Parkway. They would have plenty of land on Texas do do exactly what this plan shows. But making sure the city hall was all the way at the north end of town across from main campus was a total "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" move.

The city likes to dabble in real estate. They missed an opportunity here because they were too focused on optics.
Has the city not worried about other parts of the city? A few examples: the new Wellborn District Plan (though that seems to be a "we don't want it" situation), the partnership with the Midtown City Center developer (that hasn't materialized yet, though this plan won't for another 10-20 years), and not the city itself but certainly supported by the city: Jones Crossing and the newer developments to the west of 6 and Fitch. Even in your example of putting city hall near the police station includes an example of the city doing things in other parts of the city.
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

This, like building the new city hall where they built it and refurbishing the old fire station by city hall, looks like "we get more traffic along here, so let's pretty this all up".

City Hall should have gone down near the police station or the other city buildings south of Southwest Parkway. They would have plenty of land on Texas do do exactly what this plan shows. But making sure the city hall was all the way at the north end of town across from main campus was a total "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" move.

The city likes to dabble in real estate. They missed an opportunity here because they were too focused on optics.
A "total 'LOOK AT ME' move"? The city hall has been in the same place its been since the 1960s.

Years ago it was supposed to move down around Dartmouth and Krenek Tap, and they had this elaborate plan with several government buildings...I can't remember the exact timeline but it was scrapped--the police station there is just a salvaged remnant of that plan.

Guess there's no pleasing some people.
Captn_Ag05
AG

Tailgate88
AG
Same address as Poke Stop. Hope it is an addition to the menu not a replacement. Great Poke!
maroon barchetta
True. City Hall had been there a long time. The police station had been in the same place a long time.

They should have moved both. If they want to dabble in real estate, they should have moved city hall and bulldozed the old building and the former fire station building and sold THAT land on Texas to developers.

It would be a much better business opportunity than Chimney Hill or Macy's.

And it would place city hall closer to the "middle" of town (we know Midtown isn't really midtown).

City hall of any city or town is a service building. It's not meant to be a monument suitable for framed photos. All of the grandeur is just people making decisions in a bubble and paying for it with other people's money.
australopithecus robustus
Agreed. Or at a minimum don't use some of the most prime dirt in town. Sure, build a nice city hall to be proud of, but city hall's are not very location dependent. The city could've ground leased that dirt to a developer for 99 years and generated massive funds for the city coffers for a century.
MiMi
S
Tailgate88 said:

Same address as Poke Stop. Hope it is an addition to the menu not a replacement. Great Poke!

Looks like a cloud kitchen.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is owned by the people that own the location in Sugar Land. Their menu looks good for all of your 1 AM cravings.

https://thephoshack.com/thephoshack/order
Captn_Ag05
AG
A cosmetic chain called Miss A is going in at Post Oak.

https://www.shopmissa.com/

maroon barchetta
That's a bold move.
ElephantRider
AG
At this point, I don't see why someone open anything in that ****hole. I really wish that whole thing would get redeveloped into something other than a big empty eyesore
75AG
AG
Yeah. Tear it down and build a giant carwash with a bank inside!
TXAGBQ76
AG
With 2-3 chick finger places, 4 nail salons and a couple of carwashes to round things out.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A 22 unit, 3-story townhome style apartment development is going into Midtown at Town Lake and Dorothy. It appears to be called Midtown 404.

techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

A 22 unit, 3-story townhome style apartment development is going into Midtown at Town Lake and Dorothy. It appears to be called Midtown 404.

Good for Bryan.

Oh wait, that's the other Midtown.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Is Mr Hamburger coming back? There's a See You in September sign up on there
trouble
AG
Supposedly. I haven't seen anything on their SM since they posted that.
EBrazosAg
AG
What should we call the part of town between the two Midtown? Tweentown?
Dumbfounded
Looks like it. They had a private event there last night.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A boutique named Evie + Oak is going in next to Wonderland Indoor Playground.
PS3D
ElephantRider said:

At this point, I don't see why someone open anything in that ****hole. I really wish that whole thing would get redeveloped into something other than a big empty eyesore
Selling $1 nail polish isn't exactly a good improvement to the center.
dallasiteinsa02
College Station should have called it South Town similar to San Antonio. Everyone calls it South College Station. Just embrace it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Or hell call it Uptown
ChampsAg
they are. old management confirmed
A Net Full of Jello
AG
trouble said:

Supposedly. I haven't seen anything on their SM since they posted that.

I drove by on Monday and noticed people working on the outside. Seems like a positive sign.
Average Joe
AG
Midtown 404? Are we going to be able to find it?
spike427
AG
Average Joe said:

Midtown 404? Are we going to be able to find it?

Blue star for you

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.