BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,592 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

Saw that. Edited after I wondered how they could get by TABC with that.
RIP Double Dave's Wild -n- Wooly Wednesday. (Original 1990's version).
Charpie
AG
deh40 said:

Started noticing restaurants adding surcharge for using a credit card.

That's been a thing for a while. Heck even Specs does that
deh40
AG
Charpie said:

deh40 said:

Started noticing restaurants adding surcharge for using a credit card.

That's been a thing for a while. Heck even Specs does that
Unless Spec's has changed, they have a listed price but you get a 5% discount for cash or debit.
We eat out quite a bit and I just started noticing restaurants in this area actually listing a surcharge on the bill over the listed menu price when you use a credit card.
Charpie
AG
The 5% discount is the swipe fee that you pay for the credit card swipe. It isn't a real discount. It's them charging you that fee.

CC swipe fees are pricy. Depending on the processor that the restaurant is using, it can be anywhere between 2% to 8%. When margins are already slim in eateries, you can see why they are starting to pass those fees to consumers.
BiochemAg97
AG
TyHolden said:

trouble said:

Where are you going that doesn't do free refills?
now that I think about it, I think it was the cinemark that said no free refills. Maybe that was the slurpee machine.

I'm just annoyed that an establishment in Bryan yesterday added gratuity to my bill and I didn't catch it until after paying. Her tip ended up being 40%. And she didn't bring my daughter a to-go drink like she said she would.

Cinemark had 1 free refill on their large popcorn and stopped that during COVID. I think the large drink may have also had 1 free refill. But I think it was mostly the potential for cross contamination with the popcorn bucket.
BiochemAg97
AG
trouble said:

Where are you going that doesn't do free refills?

Small mom&pops that sell cans/bottles.

And in Europe.
trouble
AG
I eat at some real small places but most of them serve tea
MsDoubleD81
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

It is at 6 and Southern Pointe parkway.

Oh gotcha duh. I was thinking Southern Trace.
halibut sinclair
Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

Saw that. Edited after I wondered how they could get by TABC with that.
RIP Double Dave's Wild -n- Wooly Wednesday. (Original 1990's version).

Double Dave's on Boonville was still including your first beer with W&WW pre-covid.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Back in the day, the Sports Club by a former punter on the football team had Drink and Drown Night", $5 cover charge for all the beer and well drinks you could drink. Place was hopping and pretty crazy.
tb9665
Double Daves on WESTHEIMER still has beer.
halibut sinclair
tb9665 said:

Double Daves on WESTHEIMER still has beer.

Double Dave's here still sells beer, just not included with WWW.
phillytex24
birdman said:

I've said it before on here but will repeat myself.

I don't understand the fascination with high end gas stations. I see them building Bucees everywhere and knockoffs. But I don't get it.

I don't get the Bucees thing either. They got rid of their good coffee creamers and went with some nasty non-dairy company instead. We've stopped going there on road-trips and many are upset. Since the pandemic, I've found that their food sits under hot lamps too long and tastes old. I'm so over it. It was cool before the pandemic. Just go there for the clean bathrooms and skip all the gimmick.
gigem92
AG
The coffee creamer change at Buc-Eee's pissed me off. The stuff they replaced it with is crap. Used to look forward to stopping there for coffee on road trips. Not so much anymore.

Still haven't figured out why they changed it.
BCSWguru
They ditched the vanilla flavoring on the fountains as well.
BiochemAg97
AG
BCSWguru said:

I liked the flavorings, was sad to see them go.

They have recently added Dr Pepper Zero Sugar to the taps which makes my wife happy.
Hornbeck
BCSWguru said:

Yes, the beaver went downhill when they did that, and replaced a lot of national sodas with theirs.
dallasiteinsa02
I just carry cash and ask them for a W9 when I pay if the fee is over 3% for a credit card. I pay my taxes why shouldnt you all.
MS08
AG
Hornbeck said:

BCSWguru said:

Yes, the beaver went downhill when they did that, and replaced a lot of national sodas with theirs.

Craft Soda only soda fountains are so lame. Cannot stand when establishments do it.
MS08
AG
What's The Buzz shop adjacent to Copy Corner on Texas is open. Just finished a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant. Tasty. Still think they are too proud of their coffee though.
TommyBrady
AG
Someone needs to tell the rest of America about how bad bucees has become. The four different ones we hit on our roadtrip through the south this week were absolutely packed and I barely was able to get my 3 meat sandwich
maroon barchetta
Have you considered drinking your coffee like you prefer your Metallica albums?
Tailgate88
AG
TommyBrady said:

Someone needs to tell the rest of America about how bad bucees has become. The four different ones we hit on our roadtrip through the south this week were absolutely packed and I barely was able to get my 3 meat sandwich

Tell me more about this 3 meat sandwich.
TommyBrady
AG
Its Turkey, chopped brisket, and sliced sausage with BBQ sauce. I grab chopped onions and pickles from the condiment section next to the sandwiches and its pretty awesome.
Tailgate88
AG
TommyBrady said:

Its Turkey, chopped brisket, and sliced sausage with BBQ sauce. I grab chopped onions and pickles from the condiment section next to the sandwiches and its pretty awesome.

Sounds great but I can't imagine trying to eat that in the car!
PS3D
So does TXB have a fresh kitchen like Buc-ee's does, where you can sandwiches and other stuff to go?

Buc-ee's used to have an awesome kitchen but they got rid of most of their menu after COVID.
BCSWguru
Yes. From what I saw the menu is limited, though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://txbstores.com/food/
halibut sinclair
Gonna get me one a them gas station chicken fried steaks!
maroon barchetta
FlyRod
phillytex24 said:

birdman said:

I've said it before on here but will repeat myself.

I don't understand the fascination with high end gas stations. I see them building Bucees everywhere and knockoffs. But I don't get it.

I don't get the Bucees thing either. They got rid of their good coffee creamers and went with some nasty non-dairy company instead. We've stopped going there on road-trips and many are upset. Since the pandemic, I've found that their food sits under hot lamps too long and tastes old. I'm so over it. It was cool before the pandemic. Just go there for the clean bathrooms and skip all the gimmick.

Their entire "coffee creamer" area is a love ode to diabeetus. Stopped at the Bastrop one and had a good laugh when my partner asked where the actual half & half was. "But there's this thing that shoots out congealed sugar-cream!" I pointed out. Not impressed.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
TommyBrady said:

Buccees owner right now reading this

toolshed
AG
China Wok is going. The mouse in the crock pot was the final straw.

Rex Racer
AG
toolshed said:

China Wok is going. The mouse in the crock pot was the final straw.

I remember when that was built!
TXAGBQ76
AG
But it was the year of the rat!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.