BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,558 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First National Bank of Central Texas is about to break ground next to Gringos.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Just what we needed - another bank.

But for real - I don't understand why there are so many bank branches. That puts Chase, ANB, ExtraCo, Veribank, Guaranty Bank, Frost Bank, First Financial Bank, maybe more in like a 1-2 mile radius of that area.
maroon barchetta
Nail salons have to park their money somewhere.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
maroon barchetta said:

And we can't forget about the car washes.
KidDoc
AG
FearNoWeevil said:

Believe that work along Texas is Atmos gas line installation.
Yes I ran into the city manager yesterday and he said it was gas pipeline installation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieCVQ
Curious as to how other cities get large employers to get interested in their town.

We are growing, but we kinda lag in that area.
techno-ag
AG
AggieCVQ said:

Curious as to how other cities get large employers to get interested in their town.

Bryan has worked on it. Axis Pipe and Tube and Toyo Ink spring to mind.
AggieCVQ
Yeah feel like I've heard way more progress on Bryan side rather than CS side.

Saw BVEDC had a new chairwoman. Maybe she'll help.
Cyp0111
the hope should be that easier access to IAH will help college station. However, the cost of living isnt too much lower if at all than suburban Houston so it's a hard pitch.

College Station is also more or less a suburb in design, so you do not have the sense of place that other smaller towns or college towns may have in attracting corporations. I guess to an extent, it matters what type of business you are trying to attract.

I think to an extent, the University needs to lead the way with public/private venture labs/space to incubate companies. Difficult with the pull of Austin in that space for early stage companies.
maroon barchetta
AggieCVQ said:

They don't run off Brett Giroir while he's busy pulling in Biotech companies.
rocketscience
AG
Cyp0111 said:

the hope should be that easier access to IAH will help college station. However, the cost of living isnt too much lower if at all than suburban Houston so it's a hard pitch.

College Station is also more or less a suburb in design, so you do not have the sense of place that other smaller towns or college towns may have in attracting corporations. I guess to an extent, it matters what type of business you are trying to attract.

I think to an extent, the University needs to lead the way with public/private venture labs/space to incubate companies. Difficult with the pull of Austin in that space for early stage companies.

The university was successful in getting $220 million in the supplemental budget from the state (SB 30) to fund the construction of a semiconductor research and secure fabrication facility on the RELLIS campus for the semiconductor institute approved by the regents a couple weeks ago. Something like that (especially the fabrication part) I think could be good at attracting larger business investments, especially for suppliers.
Txmoe
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AggieCVQ said:

They don't run off Brett Giroir while he's busy pulling in Biotech companies.
You, sir, are a man who knows things.
Cyp0111
Rellis is a start. I'm also thinking how the city attracts sufficient, white collar jobs that are not reliant on the University. May be a tall ask.
Captn_Ag05
AG
rocketscience said:

Cyp0111 said:

The university was successful in getting $220 million in the supplemental budget from the state (SB 30) to fund the construction of a semiconductor research and secure fabrication facility on the RELLIS campus for the semiconductor institute approved by the regents a couple weeks ago. Something like that (especially the fabrication part) I think could be good at attracting larger business investments, especially for suppliers.
What is the timeline on starting construction at RELLIS for the semiconductor facility?
MS08
AG
It is a small business, entrepreneur, self employed, and A&M centric town. Also, Easterwood is a deterrent for BIG Business and Corps. I mean look at Lakewalk Area - all of those are corporate campus sites and it's very serene over there, but the corporate campus sites have had zero traction/remain available and undeveloped and they have actually lost 2 (ViaSat - I think they are done?; and Woodbolt) that were previously up and running.

I agree it is a need and would help the City but I do not see it happening with any sort of regularity. Maybe one company makes an attempt in 3-5 years.
maroon barchetta
Some $1 per year leases could be a good incentive.
ElephantRider
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

But for real - I don't understand why there are so many bank branches. That puts Chase, ANB, ExtraCo, Veribank, Guaranty Bank, Frost Bank, First Financial Bank, maybe more in like a 1-2 mile radius of that area.
I haven't been inside of a bank since before covid. I don't understand why there needs to be so many physical locations.
Average Joe
AG

maroon barchetta said:

And we can't forget about the car washes.

At least the yogurt and sushi places throttled back. I love both as much as the next guy, but quantity != quality.
Rex Racer
AG
MS08 said:

It is a small business, entrepreneur, self employed, and A&M centric town. Also, Easterwood is a deterrent for BIG Business and Corps. I mean look at Lakewalk Area - all of those are corporate campus sites and it's very serene over there, but the corporate campus sites have had zero traction/remain available and undeveloped and they have actually lost 2 (ViaSat - I think they are done?; and Woodbolt) that were previously up and running.

I agree it is a need and would help the City but I do not see it happening with any sort of regularity. Maybe one company makes an attempt in 3-5 years.
Viasat is not done. They just went remote.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ElephantRider said:

I haven't been inside of a bank since before covid. I don't understand why there needs to be so many physical locations.
I occasionally dip into Brenham National with the kiddo to get some free ice cream and withdraw some cash or deposit some. That's really about it.
Cyp0111
I think access to IAH through the new toll road could be a key growth item, with that said, I do not see many companies of note relocating.

You see college towns like Ann Arbor or Chapel Hill do well but they're closer to cities, have better towns and both have better institutions.
rocketscience
AG
The money is appropriated for the next biennium so starting construction I believe within the next two years.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
De Baca Steakhouse coming in behind IHOP SOCO
AggieCVQ
Let's hope that helps.

I work remotely but would love more opportunities to help keep more brains in town.
BiochemAg97
AG
ElephantRider said:

How much cash business does your business do? Businesses need a physical location to deposit cash and a place to get change.

Does it justify as many banks as we have? Maybe not, but every bank wants access to those business accounts so they all need physical locations.
BiochemAg97
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I think access to IAH through the new toll road could be a key growth item, with that said, I do not see many companies of note relocating.

You see college towns like Ann Arbor or Chapel Hill do well but they're closer to cities, have better towns and both have better institutions.

There is also a critical mass issue. Getting a few businesses of the same type can draw more talent to the area and make it more attractive to other businesses of that type.

Take the chip manufacturing. Get the institute set up, convince a couple of companies to open plants, then you have enough potential employees for a new company to come in a get up and running without worrying about relocating an entire workforce. Same with biotech.

Post COVID, companies that can rely heavily on work
from home can have an easier time, but still Easterwood makes it difficult (more expensive) for employees to come in for a group conference or something. I'm also guessing BCS is probably not that much cheaper to operate in than some Houston Suburb that is closer to IAH.
TommyBrady
AG
Online banking has made people forget there is a whole world of actual people and cash backing it all. Banks have to deal in cash for a ton of different financial offerings. As they grow through writing more loans and mortgages or increasing deposits etc. they have to still have actual cash to back it all. So if you plan to grow in an area you need a local location to manage the behind the scenes of the online banking world. You might never go into a bank, but banks by in large have to operate like its 1980 still due to regulations.
MS08
AG
My local bank branch came in clutch today! I was out on a bike ride with the kids and got an unexpected form that I needed filled out, signed, and notarized within the hour. Called my banker and he had everything ready to go for me when I showed up - made the deadline.
Bucketrunner
Sure glad we had a brick and mortar building today when I discovered they had what they called a computer glitch. Woke up to check my balance. Showed me overdrawn by $16,000. Nearly had a heart attack
TyHolden
AG
https://brazoslife.com/best-of-the-brazos-valley-voting/#//

Go vote for your favorite bank
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Glad they came through for you but any UPS or Fedex store in the area can notarize.
Tailgate88
AG
Poche's has a website and menu posted now... maybe not just fried seafood after all.

https://pochesseafoodshoppeandrestaurant.com/
trouble
AG
That looks pretty good
Captn_Ag05
AG
I like the different gumbos.
EBrazosAg
AG
If only it wasn't in a location that driving to makes me want to avoid it at all cost ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.