BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,588 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had their cobb tonight - chicken, bacon, blue cheese crumbles, tomato, green onion, avocado, and egg. I had them add croutons. Still under $7. Great deal!
Tailgate88
AG
We tried Salad 'n Go yesterday. I had the Buffalo Chicken and my wife had the Thai salad. Both were good and for the price, can't be beat. Service was fast and very friendly.

My only complaint was the chicken was cold, and I like warm chicken on my salad. In fairness, I didn't ask for it to be warm and don't know if they could do that or not, but I will ask next time. Cold buffalo chicken was a little odd, but that's a personal preference.

Another tip - the bowls are pretty deep and all the toppings sit on top of the lettuce. It was a little difficult to dig down to the lettuce without spilling toppings. But, when I was done eating and putting the lid back on my bowl, I noticed printed on the top:

1) Pour it on
2) Shake it up!
3) Enjoy!

So ... yeah if I'd followed directions, probably wouldn't have had that second problem.

We are definitely going back and I look forward to trying a wrap and/or breakfast.
Hittag1492
AG
Salad and Go was solid. Good value as you get fresh tasting food and a decent sized portion for what you pay. I would not go past good though on anything. It is good, not great-tasting/value, everything. It is a fats way to get a salad for sure and a good change from other fast food. On the balance though-still wish the Kettle was there, lol.
snaglepuss
When did this board turn into a restaurant review board ??????
Captn_Ag05
AG
The comings have really slowed down the last couple of months. Bring us some new businesses!
Cyp0111
welcome to higher interest rates.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://news.golftec.com/golftec-opens-new-center-in-college-station-texas/
Hornbeck
Cyp0111 said:

welcome to higher interest rates.

100% this. Cost of capital went up considerably. Thanks Joe.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Charpie said:

The Round Up…holy smokes, guey..talk about a blast from the past. That incident took down an institution of the RGV that people still talk about to this day. It's been almost 40 years now?

1989 I think. Coulda been 1990. I know 3 people that got small PI checks out if that deal. Few hundy IIRC
AG
VeraBank is going to build another branch location. This one will be located at Fitch and Barron, next to Urban Table.
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

VeraBank is going to build another branch location. This one will be located at Fitch and Barron, next to Urban Table.

This is great news to kick off the week! I almost couldn't find a bank while sleep-walking last night.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I just don't understand why there are so many banks being built. Huge, expensive brick & mortar buildings. I guess they are profitable but how many people actually bank at Verabank? Or maybe it is commercial business?
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I just don't understand why there are so many banks being built. Huge, expensive brick & mortar buildings. I guess they are profitable but how many people actually bank at Verabank? Or maybe it is commercial business?

Maybe they are fronts for ….

… money laundering????

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
ratfacemcdougal
If you cant find a Pilgrim Bank, in 10 minutes you are lost. Yeah, I am old
maroon barchetta
ratfacemcdougal said:

If you cant find a Pilgrim Bank, in 10 minutes you are lost. Yeah, I am old
Captn_Ag05
AG
A Five Below is going in at the Tejas Center.
AggiePhil
AG
Hittag1492 said:

Salad and Go was solid. Good value as you get fresh tasting food and a decent sized portion for what you pay. I would not go past good though on anything. It is good, not great-tasting/value, everything. It is a fats way to get a salad for sure and a good change from other fast food. On the balance though-still wish the Kettle was there, lol.
Tried it again today. It was OK. Forgot my extra packet of dressing (which I'd paid for) and messed up my friend's order. Both issues were resolved, but are worth mentioning. Lettuce was kind of tough and didn't taste all that fresh. Overall, a good value for $7.50 but I'd rather pay $9.50 to get a better tasting salad somewhere else. Just my opinion.
CWIsom
Digital signage for menu boards went up in Chicken Oil this week...
https://fb.watch/nTOlsb7XnJ/?mibextid=lOuIew
Average Joe
AG
CWIsom said:

I'm glad they kept the look and feel of the old signs.
Average Joe
AG
Average Joe said:

CWIsom said:

I'm glad they kept the look and feel of the old signs.

It also looks like they are set up ready to open.
trouble
AG
I just saw that clip.
trouble
AG
Same kind of signs they put in at the chicken.
Average Joe
AG
trouble said:

Same kind of signs they put in at the chicken.

I'm not sure I've looked at the menu at the chicken in years. If it changes, they will tell me when I order.
EBrazosAg
AG
Poche' summary:
Horrible location
Great raw oysters - only offering PEI right now which shows good taste and judgment. Very fresh.
Disappointing salad - especially considering 1860 connections.
Good entrees - etouffee and grilled snapper. Above average for this town for sure
Service good. Not exceptional but good.
Overall- it's gonna be a winner if it stays in business. In the wrong part of town for the clientele that was there it seems. Should be on Hwy 6 between Costco and BSW.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Are you saying it's too far from the bypass?
EBrazosAg
AG
It's on 2818 in the middle of apartment hell. Nothing to do with the bypass. Maybe I won't care when construction is done in 2031.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Poche' summary:
Horrible location
Great raw oysters - only offering PEI right now which shows good taste and judgment. Very fresh.
Good entrees - etouffee and grilled snapper. Above average for this town for sure
Overall- it's gonna be a winner if it stays in business. In the wrong part of town for the clientele that was there it seems. Should be on Hwy 6 between Costco and BSW.
The location does seem bizarre to me. A higher-end seafood joint surrounded by nothing but predominantly student apartment complexes.
CWIsom
1860 is next to a Pizza Hut
maroon barchetta
CWIsom said:

1860 is next to a Pizza Hut

Italian food strip center
AggiePhil
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

EBrazosAg said:

Poche' summary:
Horrible location
The location does seem bizarre to me. A higher-end seafood joint surrounded by nothing but predominantly student apartment complexes.
I made the same observation but everyone said "Oh, the college students over there have plenty of money to burn." Well I get that, but I don't think that type of food is really their forte, by and large.
techno-ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

EBrazosAg said:

Poche' summary:
Horrible location
I made the same observation but everyone said "Oh, the college students over there have plenty of money to burn." Well I get that, but I don't think that type of food is really their forte, by and large.
Agreed. Especially with seemingly all east to west routes under construction at the moment, it's not the easiest to get to.
Tailgate88
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

EBrazosAg said:

Poche' summary:
Horrible location

Lotus of Siam is in an old rundown strip center in a bad area of Vegas and it is one of the best Thai restaurants in the country. If the food is good, the people will travel.
snaglepuss
I guess I missed the fact that Mac Bolt and Steel moved. I figured they went under but they just moved. I have heard that they will no longer do the steel and it has been dropped from the name. Glad they are still open.

From their Facebook page:

We are officially moved!!! Regardless what the competition says we are still open and serving our customers. We will be getting out in the new Mack Bolt vans next week to be seeing everyone. We have been ordering fasteners like crazy and we are almost completely stocked up. remember if we don't have we can get it. We want to thank all the customers that have helped us move and stuck with us through this all. I am so happy to keep my parents legacy alive and to be moving the business forward!!

1651 N. Earl Rudder Fwy. Bryan, TX 77803

woodiewood1
Hittag1492 said:

i personally eat salad to lose weight. If it's a fats way to get a salad, no thanks.

I used to study in college every night in the first kettle there was was and was there the day they opened.

I haven't gone too many times the past few years, but will miss it.
woodiewood1
MyNameIsJeff said:

EBrazosAg said:

Poche' summary:
Horrible location
They probably received great lease terms. Also, all of the kitchen appliances including fire suppression system, finished interior walls, flooring, light fixtures, etc. was already there when the previous restaurant was almost open then Covid hit. Even many tables and chairs were left, but I don't know it the current owner is using them.

They may have saved tens of thousands of dollars of up-front money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.