BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

660,127 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's going in next to McCord Engineering and across from Allen Honda on SW Pkwy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
Still waiting while Century Square pablum flows ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Just want to thank the posters here for reminding me - I need to pay my century square parking ticket we got a while back. Been meaning to do that.
spike427
AG
EBrazosAg said:

What's going in next to McCord Engineering and across from Allen Honda on SW Pkwy?

Caliber Collision is listed as "Coming" to 1002 Southwest Pkwy E on the first page. I guess Allen Honda can just refer people right across the street for bodywork!
Txmoe
AG
[This is not a trolling thread and if you do it again you will get a ban. -Staff]
Captn_Ag05
AG
The posting on social media about this piece of property was about commercial opportunity along the Brazos River.

Further description:

Quote:

55+/- acres with over 2700ft of river frontage on the high bank of the Brazos River, located less than 5 miles from Texas A&M University. Property is a blank canvas of opportunity with no zoning restrictions, the ability to divide, and very limited restrictions. Well suited for single or multiple homesites, a subdivision, recreation, or commercial uses. The land has a mix of stunning native pecans, oaks, cottonwood trees, two ponds, a wet weather creek, and numerous natural springs.
https://oldhamgoodwin.com/properties/55-93-acres-along-brazos-river/

What are the boards thoughts on commercial development along the river? Feasible? Something there is demand for?

tb9665
Also, keep the river off of it.
phillytex24
Captn_Ag05 said:

The posting on social media about this piece of property was about commercial opportunity along the Brazos River.

Further description:

Quote:

55+/- acres with over 2700ft of river frontage on the high bank of the Brazos River, located less than 5 miles from Texas A&M University. Property is a blank canvas of opportunity with no zoning restrictions, the ability to divide, and very limited restrictions. Well suited for single or multiple homesites, a subdivision, recreation, or commercial uses. The land has a mix of stunning native pecans, oaks, cottonwood trees, two ponds, a wet weather creek, and numerous natural springs.

What are the boards thoughts on commercial development along the river? Feasible? Something there is demand for?

AGGIE RAINFOREST: Gameday cabana mansions on flood proof stilts with a view of the river that includes a tailgating theme park on ground level; IMAX televisions playing exclusive Aggie Football content. Drone beer and food delivery! There's billions to be made.
TyHolden
AG
phillytex24 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Further description:

Quote:

AGGIE RAINFOREST: Gameday cabana mansions on flood proof stilts with a view of the river that includes a tailgating theme park on ground level; IMAX televisions playing exclusive Aggie Football content. Drone beer and food delivery! There's billions to be made.

If that bill ever gets passed, it's Ozark time...

toolshed
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Further description:

Quote:

Too far from the bypass!

Serious answer, maybe in 30 years, but building a venue/ district 5 miles out that way from everything else isn't going to attract the masses to keep it going. People in CS won't drive to Bryan or the other way around because it's "too far".

Wellborn hasn't built up much in the way of retail and such even with all the rooftops that way. West Bryan hasn't built up much retail until just the last year, and that hasn't been much, even with all the rooftops there.
jrhmc
AG
AggieAces06 said:

lawless89 said:

Sorry if already mentioned, but what's going on at the other side of the Academy parking lot? Dirt work and construction fence going up yesterday. Can't be a bank since there's another one on the other side of the parking lot. Right??

Supposed to be a new restaurant. Varsity Grill I think?
I know the contractor working on the project. This is the correct name.
maroon barchetta
Hope there are no horns attached to the porch overhang.
TyHolden
AG
jrhmc said:

AggieAces06 said:

lawless89 said:

Sorry if already mentioned, but what's going on at the other side of the Academy parking lot? Dirt work and construction fence going up yesterday. Can't be a bank since there's another one on the other side of the parking lot. Right??

Supposed to be a new restaurant. Varsity Grill I think?
I know the contractor working on the project. This is the correct name.
https://brazosguardian.com/2023/03/17/lone-star-southern-grill-to-open-new-location-in-college-station/

https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/67f09148da834a07a7e93c5bd8427308.html

I believe it's the same restaurant (or owners) as Brenham's. Different name.
phillytex24
TyHolden said:

phillytex24 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Further description:

Quote:

If that bill ever gets passed, it's Ozark time...

I ubered some students to a house on stilts in the country, here in BCS. It was awesome. It provided shade, and a place to party for them. They had a bonfire, etc.
TyHolden
AG
If you haven't paid homage yet, you better get to the Kettle quick. It is being demolished right now. I think I found some rubble from the bathroom where I threw up once (or twice).
techno-ag
AG
Never forget.
"Settle for the Kettle."
crbongos
crbongos
AG
Quote:

They conveniently leave out that property is ~85% floodplain.
CRBongo
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
crbongos said:

Quote:

They conveniently leave out that property is ~85% floodplain.
And given the current state of the insurance markets in Texas and Florida - any underwriting involving the insurance costs is going to blow up that deal unless someone just really has a lot of cash they are ok throwing at it to make the deal work and plan to self-insure. But very few lenders are really going to be jumping at the bits to finance that deal
Captn_Ag05
AG
It appears Las Palapas has "closed for remodeling."
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

That's a good idea during the summer. Make it a Chacho's.
trouble
AG
Except it doesn't seem as though it was planned. Staff found out abruptly this week.
maroon barchetta
That is often my go-to on Mondays when Fuego is closed.
dallasiteinsa02
Hopefully, they are remodeling it into a San Antonio Las Palapas. I will never figure out why they didn't bring in their staff from one of those locations to at least train them. The quality isn't even in the same ball park.
TyHolden
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Hopefully, they are remodeling it into a San Antonio Las Palapas. I will never figure out why they didn't bring in their staff from one of those locations to at least train them. The quality isn't even in the same ball park.
did not know this. have not been to the one here but the ones in SA are great.
Hittag1492
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Agree here. It is like they thought they could run a discount version of their regular locations as far as food quality. Not horrible, just surprising and a step down (or 2) from the San Antonio locations I have been to.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I went once and have not returned. MasFajitas is similar price point but much better quality IMO.
AggiePhil
AG
McDonald's on Holleman is going up.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Sad carne guisada sounds
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Hittag1492 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Agree here. It is like they thought they could run a discount version of their regular locations as far as food quality. Not horrible, just surprising and a step down (or 2) from the San Antonio locations I have been to.

To be honest though… that taco cabana that was there before them also had pretty poor quality food too compared to the others. Which is a shame cause the location is solid, but I wonder if fuego just eats that much potential traffic that it makes it that hard.
war hymn aggie
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Red flag to me, ala Mr. Hamburger, when they announced something similar.

"remodeling" in a location that you've only been to about 2 years?

BTW, Salada will close for 2 weeks in June for a remodel.

I think that this is legit.
MS08
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Red flag to me, ala Mr. Hamburger, when they announced something similar.

"remodeling" in a location that you've only been to about 2 years?

BTW, Salada will close for 2 weeks in June for a remodel.

I think that this is legit.

Agree about Palapas. That was my initial thought too.
trouble
AG

Tailgate88
AG
New management at the same location ? Sounds like corporate fired the current managers and are going to reboot.
Charpie
AG
Someone needs to turn that into a Taco Palenque ASAP

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.