BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

660,311 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Brazos Kid said:

Apparently per Rusty, yet another one is about to bite the dust.

Cracker jack reporting there, Rusty. What's the reporter equivalent of click bait?
Look Out Below
AG
I heard the rent there was almost 20K/month
JMac03
AG
Look Out Below said:

I heard the rent there was almost 20K/month
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That might be what happened to Which Which on Northgate.

I know some people that are upset about that one closing.

No drive thru

Too bad, other than here, I do WW 1-2 times/week
maroon barchetta
It was all student walk up traffic from across the street. It didn't need a drive thru.
Collectonian
JMac03 said:

WOB - I cannot imagine the leasing company not wanting to renew with ALLLL that vacant space. Why give up $$$. I'm not saying it wasn't, but why not get some money instead of no money?
Tax write off for the loss maybe
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
maroon barchetta
Collectonian said:

JMac03 said:

WOB - I cannot imagine the leasing company not wanting to renew with ALLLL that vacant space. Why give up $$$. I'm not saying it wasn't, but why not get some money instead of no money?
Tax write off for the loss maybe

Ok, Kramer
AggieCVQ
Wait, 20K/mo for the mad taco space by RxPizza? Are there crackheads pricing the space or something?
trouble
AG
I think they are talking about the WoB space
BlueMiles
AG
I saw this new place on Longmire: Barks and Rec dog boarding (https://boardbarksandrec.com).
AggieCVQ
Ah so just regular crazy.
trouble
AG
Yes
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
maroon barchetta said:

It was all student walk up traffic from across the street. It didn't need a drive thru.

Agree to disagree based on the outcome if true
Maybe consider the rent in your equation.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
What better way to offset rent than to go after the majority of your market. It was a bad location choice. Too bad, it's a real good sandwich

You can keep harping on the drive thru aspect. Most restaurants are not located across the street from a campus of 70,000 students and 10,000 faculty and staff while also being located on the ground level of two high-rise private dorms.

Piada does good. They have no drive thru. Nor does any other restaurant at Century Square.

Jersey Mike's at Jones Crossing or the one by Scott & White? No drive-thrus.

Which Which closing probably wasn't a customer count issue. It was probably an "everything about running a business in this location is too expensive".
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

You can keep harping on the drive thru aspect. Most restaurants are not located across the street from a campus of 70,000 students and 10,000 faculty and staff while also being located on the ground level of two high-rise private dorms.

Piada does good. They have no drive thru. Nor does any other restaurant at Century Square.

Which Which closing probably wasn't a customer count issue. It was probably an "everything about running a business in this location is too expensive".

I've been to a "real" Which Wich before and I was never impressed. ("Real" as opposed to the campus location active about a decade ago)
maroon barchetta
That may be the case.

But I know some students and employees that are unhappy that it closed. That said it was the most economical and decent tasting value on that side of campus.
AggiePhil
AG
I liked Which Wich, but admittedly did not go very often. It was the closest thing I've found to Quiznos, which I also miss.
MS08
AG
Quiznos! Throwback! Where the Lupas/Gogh Gogh is now on Southwest Pkwy.
hijakeroo123
AG
PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

I've been to a "real" Which Wich before and I was never impressed. ("Real" as opposed to the campus location active about a decade ago)
Which Wich has changed fairly drastically since then too and has lost much of its charm. They no longer have the fresh baked cookies that they were known for, and the ordering bags for the sandwiches have been consolidated into just a few categories (and many locations just have patrons order at the counter). My wife and I both loved Which Wich back in the day (and live in DFW, their home market), but haven't been in several years due a perceived drop off in quality. Firehouse Subs and Jimmy John's are our go to these days, particularly Firehouse.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Jersey mikes should take over the space. I could also see a Dunkin doing well there.
CN
Poke Stop is transitioning to a pho shop. I tried to order online but their domain was for sale. The restaurant is still open and when I mentioned that their site was down, that's when I was told they were transitioning. I didn't ask when or what to but I'm assuming it'll be the Pho Shack. My friends and I had actually ordered some pho from there a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly good. But I'm going to miss Poke Stop. It was good and convenient.
phillytex24
I would love to see Fat Burger return to a place across from campus again! I miss those days.
TyHolden
AG
WOB looked deserted tonight....it was sad.
FlyRod
CN said:

Poke Stop is transitioning to a pho shop. I tried to order online but their domain was for sale. The restaurant is still open and when I mentioned that their site was down, that's when I was told they were transitioning. I didn't ask when or what to but I'm assuming it'll be the Pho Shack. My friends and I had actually ordered some pho from there a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly good. But I'm going to miss Poke Stop. It was good and convenient.

Well crap. Of the three poke places in town that's my favorite, and imo the best. In my regular work lunch rotation. This makes me very sad.

But what the hey I like pho so who knows…
techno-ag
AG
TyHolden said:

Thanksgiving break?
trouble
AG
techno-ag said:

TyHolden said:

Thanksgiving break?
They closed for good on Sunday
Captn_Ag05
AG
TyHolden said:

Did you want a bunch of people to go to a closed restuarant?
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

techno-ag said:

TyHolden said:

Thanksgiving break?
They closed for good on Sunday
Oh I thought they were closing soon. There were people there last night and the lights were on. I guess moving out.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty had some intel on the old Ozona property. Our favorite strawberry tart poster may need to come spill the beans…
chickencoupe16
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Rusty had some intel on the old Ozona property. Our favorite strawberry tart poster may need to come spill the beans…

This would be fantastic news! My wife and I ate at the old Eccell for one of our first dates, at the new Eccell after we got engaged, and had Burger Mojo the night before both our daughter and, as of today, son were born!

Picture from Rusty's Facebook.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Congrats!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.