BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,747 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bring back La Bodega in that location!
Costa and Andreas
Hi all. I will comment on this.

1) there are no plans to re open cafe eccell. It's time has passed. Maybe a scaled down, different iteration, maybe, but likely not.
2) La Bodega may reappear, but not in the former ozona location.
3) The strawberry tart is available at both Burger Mojo locations.
4) The former ozona is about 5,000 sq ft too large for Burger Mojo. Additionally there's no drive thru, which is a required part of the business model.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Costa

Captn_Ag05
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Hi all. I will comment on this.

1) there are no plans to re open cafe eccell. It's time has passed. Maybe a scaled down, different iteration, maybe, but likely not.
2) La Bodega may reappear, but not in the former ozona location.
3) The strawberry tart is available at both Burger Mojo locations.
4) The former ozona is about 5,000 sq ft too large for Burger Mojo. Additionally there's no drive thru, which is a required part of the business model.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Costa

Thanks! Sounds a lot like our coaching search. We now know what it isn't, but have no idea what it will actually be.
Costa and Andreas
Well played, very well played….
EBrazosAg
AG
So now we known how much weight to put into Rusty's current intel… not the old Rusty news we already know ….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
australopithecus robustus
Rusty was correct that the property was closed on (sold) a couple weeks ago. That's all the intel that's reliably available at this point.
Captn_Ag05
AG
EBrazosAg said:

So now we known how much weight to put into Rusty's current intel… not the old Rusty news we already know ….

I took costa's post to mean that they may be doing something at the property, but it won't be an already done concept by them.
EBrazosAg
AG
I guess we will see. I'd love to see some different concept from them at that location.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EvenPar
AG
Was just typing… sounds comparable to "coach speak"
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. I don't take any commitment from his post.
MiMi
S
Signage is up for Evie&Oak Children's Boutique at Towerpoint, in the same building as Postal Plus.

The Towerpoint HEB has started using the newly renovated expanded section (formerly the hair salon, Chinese restaurant, and Anytime Fitness). The entire area is being used for their Curbside service. I guess I'm not surprised that Curbside needs such a huge space, but I was hoping for something a little more exciting for in-store shoppers (South Flo pizza or True Texas BBQ).
BQwolf05
AG
Agree. Was really hoping more was coming.
Jetty
AG
They won't be finished expanding until at least January 2025. They are going to push the front of the store out.
Info from store manager.
techno-ag
AG
Jetty said:

They won't be finished expanding until at least January 2025. They are going to push the front of the store out.
Info from store manager.
Yeah it's crazy how smaller towns have bigger HEBs. Oh well. At least they're bigger than the old Pantry Stores now.
SalesAg13
AG
Yes, smaller towns have one large HEB. We have 5 medium-large locations.
phillytex24
chickencoupe16 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Rusty had some intel on the old Ozona property. Our favorite strawberry tart poster may need to come spill the beans…

This would be fantastic news! My wife and I ate at the old Eccell for one of our first dates, at the new Eccell after we got engaged, and had Burger Mojo the night before both our daughter and, as of today, son were born!

Picture from Rusty's Facebook.

When I see a van parked in a closed location like that, I immediately think of Cheech and Chong! Lol
techno-ag
AG
SalesAg13 said:

Yeah we must be unique. I'm thinking the ones I've been at in San Marcos and the big suburbs are all large. Then again we're one of the few metro areas of this size in the country without an Interstate yet.
AggieCVQ
Put Mark Stoops in both the coming and going section.
Captn_Ag05
kraut
AG
AggieCVQ said:

It was all the one star reviews that did him in
AggieCVQ
If we had a convention center he could have learned to love this community.
BCStalk
Fields too far from the bypass.
Hornbeck
kraut said:

AggieCVQ said:

It was all the one star reviews that did him in

Yeah, When Greg D gives you the dirty Yelp review, it's over. Left on the tarmac before the plane left CLL.
KidDoc
AG
Had a great crawfish etouffee at Poche's today. As already mentioned, a bit expensive but it is two meals for me. On a positive note they are the only place that has Andygater on tap and only $3 a pint!
PS3D
techno-ag said:

SalesAg13 said:

Yeah we must be unique. I'm thinking the ones I've been at in San Marcos and the big suburbs are all large. Then again we're one of the few metro areas of this size in the country without an Interstate yet.
You have two options in San Marcos, an overcrowded HEB, or a small, dirty one.

I hate the Austin area H-E-B stores because of they're too crowded and ACL stores charge you for bags. At least we have Kroger here as an alternative and the H-E-B stores aren't that bad.
Hornbeck
We used to have Randall's and Albertson's - a real competition between the major players.
Charpie
AG
Hornbeck said:

We used to have Randall's and Albertson's - a real competition between the major players.

If you think that those guys are real players.

I had Randal's and Albertsons in Austin. Albertsons went bye bye and Randal's only has a handful of stores left. They are terrible. Kroger is still better than those stores and we have them here
FlyRod
Quote:

Had a great crawfish etouffee at Poche's today. As already mentioned, a bit expensive but it is two meals for me. On a positive note they are the only place that has Andygater on tap and only $3 a pint!

Any sense of if, or when they might be selling fresh seafood?
cslifer
Albertsons has over 2000 stores under several names, so yes I would call them a real player.
Charpie
AG
They weren't a real player in Austin. They literally got run out of town.
Hornbeck
This ain't Austin.
Charpie
AG
No it isn't. It's much much smaller
EBrazosAg
AG
Now that is some deep, insightful info.
PS3D
Untrue. They were profitable, but HEB was willing to put up a good price to buy them out of Austin. Same thing with College Station, they sold the stores at a profit (except for the Bryan store)
BiochemAg97
AG
PS3D said:

Untrue. They were profitable, but HEB was willing to put up a good price to buy them out of Austin. Same thing with College Station, they sold the stores at a profit (except for the Bryan store)

What you are saying is the profits were so low (but not negative) that it was worth more to the company to sell the stores to HEB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.