BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,671 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Tookieclothespin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It'll be a different clientele for sure. I stepped foot into the kettle reluctantly during college and will likely frequent this place.

That being said, I still would rather have seen it turn into waffle house.
FJB
PS3D
I'll be darned, the Chicken Oil Company reopening project isn't dead after all, though it won't be open for another year at least.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2023022963
Collectonian
Spotted a newer dessert place, Thousand Layers, in Culpepper Plaza beside Tanaka. Apparently been open a few months now, but don't remember seeing an announcement for them.

https://www.thousandlayers.com/

(it might be a part of Tanaka Ramen, or a connected business as early reviews mentioned being seated in Tanaka when they ordered)
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
maroon barchetta
Collectonian said:

Spotted a newer desert place, Thousand Layers, in Culpepper Plaza beside Tanaka. Apparently been open a few months now, but don't remember seeing an announcement for them.

https://www.thousandlayers.com/

(it might be a part of Tanaka Ramen, or a connected business as early reviews mentioned being seated in Tanaka when they ordered)

I'm particular about my deserts.

Would describe it as more Mojave or Saharan?

Something with a Tunisian flavor is hard to find but is my favorite.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Crust Pizza going in at old Double Dave's location at Bush/Texas

https://www.crustpizzaco.com/locations
MsDoubleD81
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

McAlister's Deli is building a location in south College Station - at the corner of Woodcreek and 6. That is just north of the center with Luigi's.

Now we need a Sonic!
Geralt of Rivia
S
There's one on Wellborn
MsDoubleD81
AG
rockelle said:

According to Councilwoman Shurtleff on WTAW this morning, a trolley service under a new federal grant will service downtown Bryan, midtown, Century Square and the MSC.

more info from KAGS
https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/local/brazos-transit-district-receives-965-million-dollar-grant-for-sustainable-public-transportation/499-c5927447-9698-4ea3-a923-2deae1efdd60#:~:text=BRYAN%2C%20Brazos%20County%20%E2%80%94%20The%20Brazos,emission%20vehicles%20around%20the%20nation.

https://150.bryantx.gov/timeline-1901-1930/
History repeating itself:
Starting in 1910 and running for 13 years, the Bryan-College Interurban Railway was a trolley line that connected Bryan to Texas A&M, four miles to the southeast. The trip from Bryan took 30 minutes, and the cost to ride was 15 cents round-trip.
Its reliability was often called into question, particularly in its early years when it was propelled along its tracks by an underpowered gasoline engine. These early cars had to be pushed up the Hillcrest incline on Saturday afternoons when the trolley was crowded. Eventually, the trolley was converted to electric power in 19 15.
When difficulties occurred (and they often did), the accepted cry was "Ladies, keep your seats; Profs, get out and walk; and Cadets, get out and push!"

Interesting! Wish COCS could do some type of transportation on game days. Didn't buses used to run from the mall or that big building out on University into campus?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Too far.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I was told by a few people that it shouldn't be a big deal when Piasanos moved a few miles away

(I know how out of the way it would be )
MsDoubleD81
AG
How is their business doing in the new location? Every time I've gone in they are busy.
Geralt of Rivia
S
No idea. They are out of the way for me now, so I haven't been

I hope they are doing well, though. They were awesome at the previous location
BCSWguru
Piasanos is no too close to the bypass. Won't make it.
maroon barchetta
BCSWguru said:

Piasanos is no too close to the bypass. Won't make it.

True.

The bypass starts a little bit north of them.
maroon barchetta
Geralt of Rivia said:

I was surprised at how good the pizza rolls are from Mad Piez. They were very tasty.

My wife loves their thin crust veggie pizza.
Garhett_W
AG
It's very easy to get in and out of that area though. I don't think they will struggle there.
maroon barchetta
Not the point of my post but I agree.
Roxie146
Marco's Pizza on Univeristy

For the 4th time in 4 weeks I ordered online for delivery only to have a phone call 30 minutes later that they do not have a delivery driver.(if they don't have a delivery driver why do they take delivery orders)

So - I'm done with Marco's.

Need good pizza delivery recommendations in the University area -

Thanks

Costa and Andreas
maroon barchetta said:

Geralt of Rivia said:

I was surprised at how good the pizza rolls are from Mad Piez. They were very tasty.

My wife loves their thin crust veggie pizza.

Let's not forget my brother in law and friend Peter Madden is a gifted chef with 35 plus years experience going all the way back to when we worked BCS' first wood fired pizza oven at Cafe Eccell!

He may be keeping it simple at Mad Piez, but I think the food will always be reliably good and you can count on unique features…

I know he just opened for lunch and is running some attractive promos. He really wants to be the first choice for delivery in SOCO. Check him out!
MS08
AG
Like the simplicity of the menu. Been meaning to check it out. Need to.
AggiePhil
AG
Tied Mad Piez for the first time last week. Was very impressed. Pizza rolls were sufficiently stuffed with cheese and pepperoni. A bit too much garlic flavoring on top but I'm sure that can be requested left off. Ranch was tasty and homemade, albeit a bit too thick. Cinnamon rolls were the best thing we had.
trouble
AG
Today was The Village's last day in their current spot. They are planning to do family meals to go like during the shutdown until their new concept opens in the spring. I don't have more details than that.

What's the Buzz will be moving into the space Village is currently in.
halibut sinclair
AggiePhil said:

Tied Mad Piez for the first time last week. Was very impressed. Pizza rolls were sufficiently stuffed with cheese and pepperoni. A bit too much garlic flavoring on top but I'm sure that can be requested left off. Ranch was tasty and homemade, albeit a bit too thick. Cinnamon rolls were the best thing we had.

Too much garlic? Not possible!
Jadetxag10
AG
Besides the Dutch Brothers on West Villa Maria next to Walmart, is there something else going in next to it? It looks like there is more than one area under construction.
trouble
AG
Car wash
medicalag
AG
There's already a car wash there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Sorry, it's a dollar tree. My kids are distracting me.
medicalag
AG
Lol. We've all been there. Thanks for the info
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Captn_Ag05 said:

McAlister's Deli is building a location in south College Station - at the corner of Woodcreek and 6. That is just north of the center with Luigi's.
The TDLR (TLDR ) listing shows the project as Renovation/Alteration at 3100 sqft. for $550k but the address puts it in the undeveloped lot just north of Honey Baked Ham. Can new construction of this size be done for $550k?

Honey Baked Ham looks to be about 2500 sqft.

Their current place appears to be about 4500 sqft.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

The TDLR (TLDR ) listing shows the project as Renovation/Alteration at 3100 sqft. for $550k but the address puts it in the undeveloped lot just north of Honey Baked Ham. Can new construction of this size be done for $550k?

Honey Baked Ham looks to be about 2500 sqft.

Their current place appears to be about 4500 sqft.

It is a new build. The site plans submitted to the city show the design and location. It will be 3,388 square feet and have a drive through pick up window.
MiMi
S
Hyperbole Bookstore is going in one of the slanted-roof buildings between Gold's Gym and Petsmart on Arrington Rd. The sign went up today.
techno-ag
AG
MiMi said:

Hyperbole Bookstore is going in one of the slanted-roof buildings between Gold's Gym and Petsmart on Arrington Rd. The sign went up today.
Best bookstore in the world.
trouble
AG
I'm excited for an independent bookstore!
spike427
AG
Oh my goodness I am VERY excited about that bookstore!! I am familiar with the owner's work and trust it will be outstanding!
TheOC16
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

De Baca Steakhouse coming in behind IHOP SOCO

Has there been any discussion on this? (My apologies if I missed it.) Does anybody know anything about this place?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.