BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

658,327 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TommyBrady said:

How old is Rudder?
Not so old that it can't be renovated if acoustic and technological upgrades are needed.

(The real answer is, Rudder Tower was built in 1974.)
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me too!
BryanPooch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rudder is anything but small. It has 2500 seats. But it's acoustics are problematic, in part, because so many traveling shows bring in their own sound systems which they only tune properly at about the time they are pulling out of town.

The largest Broadway theatre has 1994 seats.

BryanPooch
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rudder is old and tired. It was built in the 70s and, though updated a few times since, still feels very out of date (and has for at least the past 25 years). It's time for a new performing arts center. Rudder Tower and the Rudder Complex will likely be [eventually] torn down for an expansion of the MSC. It is THE most prime real estate on campus. Just my opinion.
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
At one time it was also proposed to take up Lot 40 which would make sense to colocate with the Music Activities Center. I'm surprised it's going there since that part of campus was previously targeted for engineering expansion.
1939
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

Rudder is old and tired. It was built in the 70s and, though updated a few times since, still feels very out of date (and has for at least the past 25 years). It's time for a new performing arts center. Rudder Tower and the Rudder Complex will likely be [eventually] torn down for an expansion of the MSC. It is THE most prime real estate on campus. Just my opinion.
Age has nothing to do with the quality of a performance center. Some of the best performance halls in the world are much older than Rudder. If it needs a facelift or more back of house space that's one thing but age and seating capacity are not reasons for replacing it.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That location would make more sense to me than tucking a $300 million building behind other buildings.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
At one time it was also proposed to take up Lot 40 which would make sense to colocate with the Music Activities Center. I'm surprised it's going there since that part of campus was previously targeted for engineering expansion.


Lot 40 will be the location of (Edit: two) new Corps dorms and likely an additional parking garage will be built on the lot to the East.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
At one time it was also proposed to take up Lot 40 which would make sense to colocate with the Music Activities Center. I'm surprised it's going there since that part of campus was previously targeted for engineering expansion.


Lot 40 will be the location of four new Corps dorms and likely an additional parking garage will be built on the lot to the East.
Has that been announced?
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of talk about the need for pickleball courts in BCS lately. I recently went to Chicken n Pickle in Grand Prairie. I think it would be a great concept for BCS. It looks like they are taking inquiries for new locations, so if anyone has a lot of extra cash sitting around...

https://chickennpickle.com/inquiries/
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have they broken ground on Schulman's yet?
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Chris98 said:

Any truth to Armalite HQ & manufacturing relocating to Bryan (200 acres on Mumford Rd)
They reported it was a go on the news on Friday, WTAW. And said future plans included adding a retail portion of the site.
Any indication of how many jobs would be associated with the facility?
Short version - supposed to be up and running within 2.5 years, expect to have at least 45 full time jobs within 24 months after that. Then expect to have at least 70 full time jobs maintained after 5 years of operations.


KBTX article

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/31/strategic-armory-corps-selects-city-bryan-their-new-world-headquarters/
Exactly where on Mumford Road is this 204 acre property?
https://goo.gl/maps/EqbLUq7zWbY2kJ6L9
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Tailgate88 said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
At one time it was also proposed to take up Lot 40 which would make sense to colocate with the Music Activities Center. I'm surprised it's going there since that part of campus was previously targeted for engineering expansion.


Lot 40 will be the location of four new Corps dorms and likely an additional parking garage will be built on the lot to the East.
Has that been announced?

Actually, my bad - it's two additional dorms, which is the number required to house the FTAB.

https://myaggienation.com/am_news/how-texas-a-m-s-corps-of-cadets-plans-to-increase-membership-to-3-000/article_fe063bb7-6e91-5187-ad3b-bd8b6f07f79d.html

Quote:

Last November, A&M officials announced the university was committing $50 million for its ROTC Patriot Scholarship to cover tuition, room and board to Corps members who are ROTC scholarship recipients. Stebbins said this scholarship will make attending A&M cost-neutral for students. In April, the Maj. Gen. Raymond L. Murray Scholarship was created to cover out-of-state tuition for out-of-state students, which Stebbins said will help with recruitment and allow out-of-state students to attend A&M with an in-state tuition rate.


Two additional Corps dorms are scheduled to be built by 2027-28 to accommodate for growth.


https://corps.tamu.edu/march-to-3000/

Quote:

Will the Corps need more facilities if it grows to 3,000?

Yes. The university's capital plan currently includes two additional Corps dorms that will support the Corps' growth to 3,000. Other buildings that will be necessary to support a larger Corps include a Multipurpose Center that will house Corps Academics, the Hollingsworth Center for Ethical Leadership and large meeting spaces, Leadership Learning Centers and the renovation of the Sanders Corps of Cadets Center.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Johnny Manziel is opening a bar on Northgate. He's gonna make all the $$$$

https://www.johnnysmoneybar.com/
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Johnny Manziel is opening a bar on Northgate. He's gonna make all the $$$$

https://www.johnnysmoneybar.com/


Bucky's says "Don't go there, bro"
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Johnny Manziel is opening a bar on Northgate. He's gonna make all the $$$$

https://www.johnnysmoneybar.com/


?ssl=1
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
St. Mary's is hosting an open house this Thursday from 4-7pm for anyone in the community who wants to come and see the new church. Staff members and students will be available to answer questions and give tours.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254903/a-glimpse-into-heaven-new-catholic-church-at-texas-a-and-m-university-to-be-dedicated?fbclid=IwAR2QIpu3DMbFn8E1TfIeHfihw-tXpxgNDWraE2yExM6m1fz_Kzi1yo8G2es_aem_AR571ocWyAQMSwP5jjAkOHX6IqZ9qPCe8if-52dn8YMQhg4kLVTLTTlG5bPbtlEuOEc
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw on FB that Board & Brush's last workshop was on 7/28. They are selling their remaining supplies.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building was going to be next to the newish garage on University so it could be seen when first coming down University. I am a little surprised they are "hiding" it between the engineering buildings. $300 million?
At one time it was also proposed to take up Lot 40 which would make sense to colocate with the Music Activities Center. I'm surprised it's going there since that part of campus was previously targeted for engineering expansion.


Lot 40 will be the location of (Edit: two) new Corps dorms and likely an additional parking garage will be built on the lot to the East.


That plan has changed. They had earmarked 40 (next to MAC) for 2 Band dorms but new commandant nixed that plan and was exploring how to add 200 beds to the quad to get to 3000.

Someone of authority finally realized the BQ/CT split is bad enough with the BQs on the quad and moving then off the quad would further separate BQ and CT?


Regardless, the talk of the arts center was at the other end of 40 on Bizzell street. Likely would have been room to have MAC, Dorms, Arts center if you got rid of the whole parking lot.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One issue with Rudder Theatre is set access. Part of the reason for putting the arts complex at Bizzell and GB (or on the periphery of campus) is to accommodate OPAS request for easy access for trucks for loading/unloading stage equipment. IIRC, they were talking about 3 loading docks and the ability to get trucks in and out without turning around.

Parking seems like it would be a problem for Bizzelll and George Bush. OPAS provides free parking at University Center Garage (Kuldus) garage for performances. Easy enough because most people parking in UCG go home around 5.

You would need to build a garage to replace what is lost of lot 40, but that is mostly on campus students. Even if OPAS guests paid for parking, there wouldn't be much space in the garage for a 7pm midweek performance if the garage is full of on-campus student cars. That area is not near much else, so it would be hard to get staff to park there and it wouldn't be useful as a guest parking garage.
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The parking garage is also used by the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra.
snaglepuss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Johnny Manziel is opening a bar on Northgate. He's gonna make all the $$$$

https://www.johnnysmoneybar.com/
and the fuzz will be all over that place!
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw that there was a sign announcing "King Buffet" right between Dutch Bros & Firestone between SW Parkway & Brentwood.
I assume that it's going to be located at the old China King/Old Country Buffet location as there is remodeling being done inside that location.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's The Buzz Coffee going in the spot where Kolache Rolf's was located.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hadn't seen that. Just that they were moving to the old Village spot.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Signage up for Postal Plus at Tower Point in the building with Chef Cao, the indoor playground and the smoothie place...
phillytex24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
snaglepuss said:

trouble said:

Johnny Manziel is opening a bar on Northgate. He's gonna make all the $$$$

https://www.johnnysmoneybar.com/
and the fuzz will be all over that place!


I miss the days I used to take my chugger and walk home with it in Northgate when the bars closed. It was so wonderful. Sadly, it's gotten too dangerous to go there anymore. It's fuzz central!

It's time to make it a shopping venue and not a bar district.
TLIAC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or they could use the left turn lane that is there for the two hotels. I used it when I would go to The Kettle.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like Johnny's bar is up at 115 College Main, the cramped space above the sake bar, where the lawyers' office used to be back in the early 2010s. I was thinking he'd have an actual storefront.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

It looks like Johnny's bar is up at 115 College Main, the cramped space above the sake bar, where the lawyers' office used to be back in the early 2010s. I was thinking he'd have an actual storefront.
Yes, the space labeled Mama's Lounge on this image. It is only 1775 square feet.

Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone heard any news or rumors lately on the old Albertson's location on University? It was late last year or early this year when someone from the city said that there was some exciting news on it that couldn't be shared quite yet.

On BCAD the property owner is HCL UNIVERSITY PARK LLC. I see one of the managers of HCL is Christopher J. Pappas (Pappas Restaurants). I can't remember if that was already discussed.
Hittag1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

PS3D said:

It looks like Johnny's bar is up at 115 College Main, the cramped space above the sake bar, where the lawyers' office used to be back in the early 2010s. I was thinking he'd have an actual storefront.
Yes, the space labeled Mama's Lounge on this image. It is only 1775 square feet.


I have a feeling this won't be your typical Northgate bar. I see a higher end/slightly older demographic. More money/lower volume. Just my 2 cents. Might actually work well if so.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hittag1492 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

PS3D said:

It looks like Johnny's bar is up at 115 College Main, the cramped space above the sake bar, where the lawyers' office used to be back in the early 2010s. I was thinking he'd have an actual storefront.
Yes, the space labeled Mama's Lounge on this image. It is only 1775 square feet.


I have a feeling this won't be your typical Northgate bar. I see a higher end/slightly older demographic. More money/lower volume. Just my 2 cents. Might actually work well if so.


The quotes from his partners about the technology in place would support less of a Dixie Chicken high volume vibe and more like what you are saying, higher end with fewer.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where did you see the quotes from his partners?
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.