BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,624 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
legalbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Radio is a dead market. Sirius, Spotify, iTunes, etc. have taken over.

Sirius is almost turning into radio. The personalities talk more and more, and place less music. If you are paying more than $6 month for Sirius, you are paying too much.
AggiePhil
AG
CFA south has their parking lot all torn up today. Looks like a major construction project. Assume they're closed during it but not 100% sure.
Hornbeck
Bookface says they anticipate 2 weeks, but this is dependent on the project.
AggiePhil
AG
What's the project? Sewer line repair? Drive-thru lane reworking?
Captn_Ag05
AG
AggiePhil said:

What's the project? Sewer line repair? Drive-thru lane reworking?

These are the project details. Seems to be a bit behind schedule.
Dustoff00
AG
Hopefully it includes a few more leaders/employees that embody characteristics of most other CFA's. This location is the worst CFA experience I have ever had. Extensive wait times for food(waiting in alternate spot after going through Drive thru), incomplete orders, wrong items in the order, no "My Pleasure" after a thank you. IKIK First world problems, but still very disappointing.
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
Look Out Below
AG
Not any more dead than local TV. Radio is free and has local involvement in the community.

I only listen to radio. To each their own.
maroon barchetta
Look Out Below said:

Not any more dead than local TV. Radio is free and has local involvement in the community.

I only listen to radio. To each their own.

Listening to radio thru my phone right now.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Last Shot Expresso

closed

definitely not because of sky high rent
Garhett_W
AG
It can't be too far from the bypass on this one
maroon barchetta
Garhett_W said:

It can't be too far from the bypass on this one

It actually is quite a ways from the bypass.
trouble
AG
The last 2 times I tried to go, they were closed. No sign or anything.

Luckily, I was down there for kiddo well checks so I didn't just waste my time.
maroon barchetta
It never seemed open when I went by.

Having Starbucks, Goh-Goh, and Dutch Bros nearby didn't help.
rocketscience
AG
The City Council has an executive session item on the agenda for Monday's meeting to discuss and possibly take action on two real estate matters. One is the property next to CostCo. The other is the Northgate Parking Lot.

https://opendoc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=1907632&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVER

Additionally, when searching for more information on the property next to CostCo, I found a property brochure that shows REI is coming to the old Albertsons on University, along with Crunch Fitness. It looks like renovations are on the books.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/624f0297fdb8d76f00fef907/t/657091a64e35617a17b34118/1701876155317/601+University.pdf
maroon barchetta
What's going in at West Holleman and North Dowling?

Lots of dirt work starting.

More rentals?
AggieCVQ
Mr. Yancy mentioned how there would be some development there by Costco. Interested to see what it is.
phillytex24
rocketscience said:

The City Council has an executive session item on the agenda for Monday's meeting to discuss and possibly take action on two real estate matters. One is the property next to CostCo. The other is the Northgate Parking Lot.

https://opendoc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=1907632&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVER

Additionally, when searching for more information on the property next to CostCo, I found a property brochure that shows REI is coming to the old Albertsons on University, along with Crunch Fitness. It looks like renovations are on the books.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/624f0297fdb8d76f00fef907/t/657091a64e35617a17b34118/1701876155317/601+University.pdf

Wow!! Finally some competition to Academy!!! Woo woo!!!!!
BQwolf05
AG
And how did that work out last time....Gander Mountain
australopithecus robustus
Gander went broke nationwide. Bad business model.

I hope REI can make it here. I love it. I have my doubts. We're a pretty cheapskate town….
happyinBCS
Wonderful to see that the CS city council / real estate experts are on top of this, their past record is Steller.
BQwolf05
AG
Still think it is so funny how thet cane in then Academy uograded and then poof Gander was no more.
phillytex24
BQwolf05 said:

And how did that work out last time....Gander Mountain

I got an amazing deal on my Glock there. That was a long time before they closed.
Fan
S
I hope REI makes it! I think they have a different target market than Academy, so there should be room for both.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
rocketscience said:

For the property next to Costco - I'm really curious who could be exploring development of that parcel.

I'm guessing it'll be big box retail (Dicks Sporting Goods or some large user) or another major tenant anchored retail shopping center.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Fan said:

I hope REI makes it! I think they have a different target market than Academy, so there should be room for both.
This. Academy and REI have two significantly different target markets.

Bear Mountain is the closest we currently have to an REI based on brands carried and target market. I think an REI would be quite bad for them, although it seems like that store may be more of a hobby for the owners of Ace Hardware.
AgProgrammer
AG
I really wish there was another grocery option on the south end of town. I really love HEB, but the Tower Point location has become an absolutely nightmare unless you go during the middle of the workday. The expansion turning out to just be for Curbside was really a bummer.
AgProgrammer
AG
REI seems to have a closer draw to like what Gander Mountain had. I know Gander Mountain's closing was more of a national corporate issue, but I don't think the CS location was doing very well while it was open. I definitely think our market is missing a store like that, but not sure how different the results would be than Gander had.
MiMi
S
AgProgrammer said:

I really wish there was another grocery option on the south end of town. I really love HEB, but the Tower Point location has become an absolutely nightmare unless you go during the middle of the workday. The expansion turning out to just be for Curbside was really a bummer.

I do about 90% of my shopping at this HEB. If you go at 'off-hours' it isn't too bad. But, the increase in curbside delivery means the HEB personal shoppers, and their humongous carts, take up a lot of real estate in the aisles. I'm constantly having to get around or through them to get what I need.
hijakeroo123
AG
AgProgrammer said:

REI seems to have a closer draw to like what Gander Mountain had. I know Gander Mountain's closing was more of a national corporate issue, but I don't think the CS location was doing very well while it was open. I definitely think our market is missing a store like that, but not sure how different the results would be than Gander had.
REI is actually quite a bit different than Gander. Gander had a heavy focus on hunting/fishing, while REI has more of a focus on camping, hiking, climbing, cycling, canoeing/kayaking, etc. Much of Gander's struggles were brough on due to overexpansion, and in Academy's territory, they had quite a bit of product overlap (though Gander's selection tended towards the higher end). Meanwhile, REI's market is largely underserved for brick and mortar retail in BCS, as Academy's product selection often tends towards either entry level or mid range. During my time at A&M, quite a few friends would trek to the Austin REI for their sales.
Tailgate88
AG
Hopefully an H-E-B insider can chime in here, but based on a rumor I heard and all of the construction trailers and equipment forming up behind the store, I believe additional expansion is imminent to the Tower Point store.
Captn_Ag05
AG
REI is also big on clothing. Their selection of Patagonia will probably make them a draw for the college crowd.
UglyScientist
Not an insider, but I overheard one of the managers talking about it a few months back. They are indeed doing more expansion/remodeling. They were just starting with the new curbside area. Not sure what all they are doing though.
Smokeey
Looks like that Booneville HEB is happening. Can't attach photos but Bryan City Council agenda says they will be reviewing some tax breaks Tuesday for the property across from Miramont with the developer promising "an HEB or greater supermarket", mixed commercial and residential development attached as well.
phillytex24
hijakeroo123 said:

AgProgrammer said:

REI is actually quite a bit different than Gander. Gander had a heavy focus on hunting/fishing, while REI has more of a focus on camping, hiking, climbing, cycling, canoeing/kayaking, etc. Much of Gander's struggles were brough on due to overexpansion, and in Academy's territory, they had quite a bit of product overlap (though Gander's selection tended towards the higher end). Meanwhile, REI's market is largely underserved for brick and mortar retail in BCS, as Academy's product selection often tends towards either entry level or mid range. During my time at A&M, quite a few friends would trek to the Austin REI for their sales.

They will both do well at the same time. Currently we only have one option, Academy. With REI being next to campus they will be so busy. It's going to be nice to have options.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

Hopefully an H-E-B insider can chime in here, but based on a rumor I heard and all of the construction trailers and equipment forming up behind the store, I believe additional expansion is imminent to the Tower Point store.

I heard they are expanding in back and creating a tunnel into the water tower, where they will create a spiral tower of Charmin inside to be prepared for the next pandemic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.