BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,601 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I listened to part of the City of College Station economic development podcast and it was mentioned that there is exciting development coming to the old Albertsons. They said they couldn't announce the name of the tenants (plural) yet. I am interested to see how that redevelops.
Finally! We can eat chicken fingers while getting our nails done all in one location: Chicken Express Nails is coming to College Station!
what about cashing a check???
buying vapes???

THIS is what is important to me!!!
Rex Racer
AG

bushytailed said:

So-Fly announced on Facebook that they are closing March 12 but will return as a ghost kitchen/secret menu at Burger Mojo.
Secret menus are annoying. Just open up a place selling the dang strawberry tarts. That's what the people want.
They are working on it, and very close.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
TyHolden said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I listened to part of the City of College Station economic development podcast and it was mentioned that there is exciting development coming to the old Albertsons. They said they couldn't announce the name of the tenants (plural) yet. I am interested to see how that redevelops.
Finally! We can eat chicken fingers while getting our nails done all in one location: Chicken Express Nails is coming to College Station!
what about cashing a check???
buying vapes???

THIS is what is important to me!!!
Smoked Chicken Express Nails?
Tailgate88
AG

Captn_Ag05 said:

I assume it is located in one of the new MegaBanks so one can kill THREE birds with one stone!
australopithecus robustus
maroon barchetta said:

Dang. That was fast.

Phil Romano, a restaurant concept genius, always said you'll know in 6 months. As successful as he was he had to close several, he knew it was trail and error at times. The smart ones know when to call it and pivot.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

The way it sounds it will probably be redeveloped as two or three smaller spaces, probably all new to the market. Filling all ~80k square feet space would be pretty unlikely, and even a full supermarket is a hard sell with University configured the way it is (even if Albertsons wasn't now locked in with a merger agreement with Kroger), though I still think maybe Sprouts will finally show up after promising to take over Linens N Things a decade ago. The other half? Burlington, probably.
gunan01
AG

bushytailed said:

So-Fly announced on Facebook that they are closing March 12 but will return as a ghost kitchen/secret menu at Burger Mojo.
Secret menus are annoying. Just open up a place selling the dang strawberry tarts. That's what the people want.
100% Agree. They took something that made them unique and everyone loved and axed it. Seems like they care more about the real estate business than the restaurant business.
Costa and Andreas
gunan01 said:

bushytailed said:

100% Agree. They took something that made them unique and everyone loved and axed it. Seems like they care more about the real estate business than the restaurant business.

It takes special equipment to make the tart. When we sold the cafe eccell building we no longer had a facility to do them, so we had to discontinue. We explained this at the time but it's understandable that many people didn't hear about it.

We had so many requests this last valentines that we decided to work very hard to figure how to do them again. WE HEARD THE PEOPLE! As recently as a month ago I told a friend we had no plans to resume the tart, but I also said "never say never". So we've had to figure it out with smaller equipment that would fit in one of the mojos.

We are still working on details, but our recent Facebook post depicted a beautiful tart shell.

This process has shown us the very emotional attachment that many people have to the tarts. When we resume production and have them available at the mojos it will be interesting to see if all of the commentary is supported.

Thanks everyone for your requests we will do our best to get them back on line. We need some electrical work done amongst some other peripheral things and should be up and running in the next few weeks.
gunan01
AG
THANK YOU For listening to your customers. Your business will be handsomely rewarded for it.
Costa and Andreas
Thank you!

We've already tabulated that we need to sell 48/day to be worthwhile so time will tell.
maroon barchetta
Costa and Andreas said:

Thank you!

We've already tabulated that we need to sell 48/day to be worthwhile so time will tell.

Advertise to sorority row. They will be all over this for special treats for parties and birthdays and whatnot.
Costa and Andreas
Also I failed to mention we will be doing something we didn't do before.

The tarts are made fresh every day. As soon as the pastry cream hits the shell it (the shell) starts to break down. Day old tarts are delicious, but they don't present as well as the fresh.

In the cafe eccell model we were reticent to sell day old tarts, but in the burger mojo model we see no issue with it. This alone helps the cause because we won't be throwing them away at the end of the day.

So, day old tarts will be available while they last at a reduced price!

As for fresh tarts, we will develop a par level as we go but once they run out, they will be out till the next day. This approach is further insulation towards ensuring their sustainability.
Rex Racer
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Also I failed to mention we will be doing something we didn't do before.

The tarts are made fresh every day. As soon as the pastry cream hits the shell it (the shell) starts to break down. Day old tarts are delicious, but they don't present as well as the fresh.

In the cafe eccell model we were reticent to sell day old tarts, but in the burger mojo model we see no issue with it. This alone helps the cause because we won't be throwing them away at the end of the day.

So, day old tarts will be available while they last at a reduced price!

As for fresh tarts, we will develop a par level as we go but once they run out, they will be out till the next day. This approach is further insulation towards ensuring their sustainability.

My wife suggested only making them on your busiest days, in order to be able to sell your 48 per day. That would be better than cutting them out completely. I LOVE the tarts, but I don't see myself eating one daily. :-D
Costa and Andreas
I don't think making them on certain days only is the answer as they seem to often be an impulsive indulgence. I see that only irritating some people.

If BCS with 250,000 people can't muster up 24 tarts at each mojo daily then the tarts aren't as popular as everyone thinks they are. Numbers always tell the story, so we will see.

PS3D
Costa and Andreas said:

If BCS with 250,000 people can't muster up 24 tarts at each mojo daily then the tarts aren't as popular as everyone thinks they are. Numbers always tell the story, so we will see.
Unfortunate for the tart-lovers out there, but luckily MyBCS isn't representative of the market.
BryanPooch
Costas,

Was someone new making the tarts the last year? We came in almost every week for 20 years or more to eat them.

But after the first Covid closure, we tried four times and the shells were overbaked --actually burnt, once -- and we just quit coming in. The shrinking menu and pizza oven being walled up didn't help with the switch to Public and Main. But, your tart creator clearly was off the mark.

Hope you are back on track soon! You are missed!
BryanPooch
Costa and Andreas
Man oh man Covid was such an unprecedented time and challenge for small businesses. Too many things to mention.

We will do our best on the tarts going forward as we do with the menus at large. Human error will always be a challenge to be sure.

Thank you so much for your business!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

gunan01 said:

bushytailed said:

It takes special equipment to make the tart. When we sold the cafe eccell building we no longer had a facility to do them, so we had to discontinue. We explained this at the time but it's understandable that many people didn't hear about it.

We had so many requests this last valentines that we decided to work very hard to figure how to do them again. WE HEARD THE PEOPLE! As recently as a month ago I told a friend we had no plans to resume the tart, but I also said "never say never". So we've had to figure it out with smaller equipment that would fit in one of the mojos.

We are still working on details, but our recent Facebook post depicted a beautiful tart shell.

This process has shown us the very emotional attachment that many people have to the tarts. When we resume production and have them available at the mojos it will be interesting to see if all of the commentary is supported.

Thanks everyone for your requests we will do our best to get them back on line. We need some electrical work done amongst some other peripheral things and should be up and running in the next few weeks.
I wasn't here when you closed Cafe Eccel or La Bodega, so yes, I missed those announcements. I also miss both Cafe Eccel and what La Bodega was before it moved down the street and became a bar with food trucks, for what it's worth. That queso with the guacamole? That was good stuff. Not that you have to share, but I'd be interested in knowing the reason for closing Cafe Eccel and La Bodega to do Burger Mojo et. al.
Costa and Andreas
That's easy.

The original Cafe Eccell had to close because its lease with the city ran out.

La Bodega closed because when the cafe eccell lease ran out we knew la bodega wouldn't make it without the cafe eccell parking, so we sold the property.

The second iteration of cafe eccell at the old Lubys closed becuase of Covid.

There was never a second location of La Bodega but we did try to serve La Bodega food at our bar, the backyard. That didn't function very well. But, now we have the two family run food trucks. The Backyard, pre and post food trucks, has been by far our most successful business to date.

The mojos have been a vision for long time as we wanted to get into the QSR business for quite and while and to get out of full service.

A Net Full of Jello
AG
Thanks for the response.
AggiePhil
AG
As long as you have the CHOCOLATE strawberry tarts, we will patronize!!!
Costa and Andreas
AggiePhil said:

As long as you have the CHOCOLATE strawberry tarts, we will patronize!!!

It's a possibility. Depends on if the original's sales trajectory gives us confidence the do the separate prep for chocolate as well. Historically the original outsold the chocolate 2 to 1.
AggiePhil
AG
Not good! Chocolate is where it's at!
Costa and Andreas
AggiePhil said:

Not good! Chocolate is where it's at!

I love it that you like it so much! I'm confident we will get chocolate going too. We are just being mindful not to waste product, time or $.
snaglepuss
How about someone make a tart thread...
phillytex24
Costa and Andreas said:

gunan01 said:

bushytailed said:

Just open a cafe concept for waffles, tarts and ice cream. That's what the people want! Be the Waffle House we need!
Costa and Andreas
Sounds wonderful for someone else to open so I can visit! Very happy where I am.
MsDoubleD81
AG
THANK YOU. I see 12 new posts and think something interesting. PR for a restaurant and their tarts.
maroon barchetta
Have you had one of the tarts? You won't be making that angry face if you do.
Hittag1492
AG
I am sure the tarts are wonderful, but enough with the tarts! Lol. Geez.
trouble
AG
She might. They are good but I've never understood the obsession.
UmustBKidding
Was in jones Crossing today and i heart mac and cheese had a lockout notice from yesterday
australopithecus robustus
So much passion, anger and feels
AggiePhil
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Was in jones Crossing today and i heart mac and cheese had a lockout notice from yesterday

Not surprised in the least. I was one of the first customers at the grand opening. Was an FLO, unfortunately.
cstxfn
Does anyone have an idea on when the "reconfiguration" will be finished at the Tejas Center HEB?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.