BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,629 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
MsDoubleD81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://wtaw.com/discovery-of-an-old-municipal-swimming-pool-at-bryans-midtown-park/

"You would have to be a longtime resident of the twin cities to know that the city of Bryan's Midtown Park once was the site of a municipal swimming pool.

City manager Kean Register told the city council during their October 10th meeting that the remnants of the old pool was under the site of Midtown Park's future movie-bowling-restaurant building and a new road connecting that with Big Shots.

A change order was made to the contract to build the road to remove the old pool.

Register says that has pushed back completion of the road until next summer."
Rex Racer
AG
It's not that long ago. I moved here in 1989, and I remember when they filled in that old pool. In fact, I could have sworn that the pool wasn't filled in until sometime in the 2000's. But maybe it was the 1990's.
halibut sinclair
I remember that pool being there.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I was born in 1985 and took swim lessons there
UmustBKidding
I of course remember the pool having been here since the 70s but I also remember when they pushed all decking and portions of the surrounding structures containing the equipment into it and covering it with dirt. Thought at the time was at some point they will regret not just breaking it up and digging it out then instead of later being full to crap and having to do it.
Guess time has come.
bcstx06
I remember the pool being there until at least the early 2000s. All they did was fill it with dirty, you could still see the edges of it I remember but I hadn't paid attention to it lately.
TyHolden
AG
Who wants to swim in a dirt pool??? Probably somebody from Lubbock…
AggiePhil
AG
bcstx06 said:

I remember the pool being there until at least the early 2000s. All they did was fill it with dirty, you could still see the edges of it I remember but I hadn't paid attention to it lately.

Edge was still visible until 2012-2013.
GSS
For the CoB to not be aware of a long used , now covered by dirt, pool is mind boggling. Parts of the filter system remained, long after the pool was covered.
Next they will say "we just learned arsenic was an issue, for Muni lake..."
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Hornbeck
The mayor is a lifelong Bryan resident. I'm betting he was aware a pool was there. Next thing you know, there will be soil issues….
FlyRod
There have been many stories of late about the disappearance of public/municipal pools across the country.
CN
FlyRod said:

Also, iWon Korean BBQ place open on George Bush Ave (don't have address right now).
It was good but it took a long time to get seated even though they weren't full yet. Perhaps they're still trying to work out the kinks but prepare to wait. And you're going to smell like food when you leave if you're grilling.

I don't know if this is typical but the last Korean BBQ place we went to in Houston provided side dishes like kimchi, radishes, etc. iWon did not. The place in Houston brought sauces to the table. iWon didn't mention them but I found them at the bar for the hot pot. You really need the sauces because the BBQ is pretty plain without them. We didn't have the hot pot so I can't comment on that yet.

Regardless, we enjoyed our meal and plan on going back. The variety and food was better at the place we went to in Houston but iWon is good for College Station.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I don't think the issue is that they didn't know the pool was there. I think the issue is they didn't know the pool wasn't properly demo'd and backfilled to proper compaction for new roadway/structure to be built over it.

I'm as quick to scrutinize government as much as anyone else here, but I think this was bound to happen unless their geotech took a bore within the pool area. And had they done this upfront, costs to remediate would've been included in base contract.

I don't think this is anywhere near the level of "boondoggle" as the CS ballpark or anything.
maroon barchetta
This is a failure of previous leadership at the city. A "kick the can down the road" move. They passed on the cost of removing the old pool to a future set of city leaders.

Now it will cost a lot more to demo the pool. Once they pay to remove all the dirt to get to it, of course.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Agreed. The leadership that didn't properly remove the pool 20+ years ago is at fault here, IMO.
techno-ag
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Article about esports at TAMU.

Has some details about the esports venue that CoCS and TAMU announced for the old Macy's.

https://www.txamfoundation.com/maroon/fall-2023/game-changer.aspx
Nice article thanks! I didn't realize Blinn was so far ahead of A&M in esports.
TyHolden
AG
If this was Austin, they'd turn that dirt into a giant mud pool and we'd build a hog resort. Save the pigs!
EBrazosAg
AG
Going soon @ Tad's?
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/10/13/restaurant-report-card-october-12-2023/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Going soon @ Tad's?
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/10/13/restaurant-report-card-october-12-2023/

78 is unacceptable for an ongoing business. Serious illness can occcur and IMO represents extremely poor food safety management

It's really really bad.
AG
Esp when you get dinged for not holding both hot and cold stuff at proper temps.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
If you want to do a google search to compare:

IMO, IHIOGA,

The cantaloupe listeria breakout in Colorado (2012?) that allegedly killed several and severely sickened many more was from a facility with a 3PA inspected food safety rating of > 90…… from an inspector hired on behalf of the producer/supplier

The "Round Up Restaurant " food safety failure in South Texas closed down the essential "founder" of commercial restaurant fajita dinners and put a bunch of people in the hospital. So many that doors were shut and new entities emerged.

Its a big deal. These inspections are one of the VERY few contributions that local government actually produces/performs
AG
The Round Up…holy smokes, guey..talk about a blast from the past. That incident took down an institution of the RGV that people still talk about to this day. It's been almost 40 years now?
chickencoupe16
AG
And that might have been one of their good days!
DisneyFan5
Charpie said:

The Round Up…holy smokes, guey..talk about a blast from the past. That incident took down an institution of the RGV that people still talk about to this day. It's been almost 40 years now?
I still remember how good is was! The Round Up has a facebook page.

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish that I didn't have to go to the Valley to find a good Botana Platter.
Charpie
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

Charpie said:

I still remember how good is was! The Round Up has a facebook page.

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish that I didn't have to go to the Valley to find a good Botana Platter.

Same
Captn_Ag05
AG
Salad and Go in CS is open.
Hornbeck
I'm still protesting the death of the Kettle.
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck said:

It's alive in Bryan
TyHolden
AG
Hornbeck said:

but that salad place is almost up. they were working late last night on it.

the only other one I've seen is near Rice University and I've never seen a car there....
maroon barchetta
Rice students can't drive.
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Rice students can't drive.
I think a cheap salad place is just beneath the folks that live in that area....
australopithecus robustus
Salad and go is a wildly successful, fast growing concept out of Arizona. They should do very well. Their drive thru moves very fast, so presumably you're not seeing cars because they don't stay there long like whataburger
Hornbeck
I'm not driving all that way for a good breakfast. In CS, yup. Allll the way into Bryan? Sheesh.
trouble
AG
It opened yesterday
TyHolden
AG
trouble said:

It opened yesterday

Yeah it was Friday night. I was in no condition to drive after the game yesterday…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.