BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,987 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All valid questions that any taxpayer should look forward to seeing answered.

That said, there will be people that automatically fall in line and proclaim this to be a "win-win" because it says "Bryan" and "TAMU" on it.
rocketscience
AG
Roxie146 said:

I want to see what the financing is. Who is paying for it - who will benefit - how will the taxpayers in Bryan benefit.

Is this another boondoggle where TAMU gets all the benefit but the community pays for it?

TAMU has a responsibility to the community - Bryan, College Station, and Brazos County. The idea of "if you build it they will come" does not answer the question of who pays for the build and the infrastructure required behind all that building. - Water, Sewer, Streets, Emergency Response…………Policing, Fire …..

TAMU Golf is an example - sort of - lovely course, TAMU Golf - Traditions' homes are beautiful….. but I don't live there - and most of the Bryan citizens don't live there - so who truly benefits from their (TAMU's) presence.

It is great for the school but is it great for the city?

If there is a case for a symbiotic relationship between city and school - then I'm all for it - but if TAMU is the parasite -ie gets all the benefit - then no.

Why should the citizens of Bryan underwrite a sports need for TAMU? (yes I know College Station helped in the Kyle Field build - hows that working out? - Hotel taxes being diverted to serve TAMU)

If it is such a great idea let a commercial builder do it. They will do it cheaper, pay taxes on the property and income taxes and control payroll. I am not in support for additional city employees manning a Tennis complex.

May I remind all that TAMU has $1B in resources - while my property taxes are sky high - once again Bryan is building a non taxable property - ie it is city owned - off the tax roles -

A great idea in principle - but not when you show the money flow - Let's see the money.
The financials are pretty well laid out in the city council agenda. The city and university are each putting $675,000 annually towards it. The university gets to use it for regularly scheduled practices and matches and when it is needed due to inclement weather. Otherwise, Bryan gets to use it.

https://go.boarddocs.com/tx/cobtx/Board.nsf/Public
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

All valid questions that any taxpayer should look forward to seeing answered.

That said, there will be people that automatically fall in line and proclaim this to be a "win-win" because it says "Bryan" and "TAMU" on it.
Didn't TAMU recently rebrand to include BCS ? And Bryan started some kind of "Bryan - Home of Texas A&M" campaign? I honestly don't know. It may not be symbiotic but every time I hear the mayor of Bryan speak about Texas A&M on the radio, he mentions that "we need them" or something of that sort. Is he getting his 10 percent? I'd love to see the money trail on every city, state, federal, or international deal made (Ukraine war especially). No way that's happening though.

For the record, I'd rather this be in Midtown CS

https://www.tamu.edu/visitors/index.html

BiochemAg97
AG
According to Bjork, TAMU tennis would only use the indoor facility ~10% of the time. It will be interesting to see how Bryan uses it the other 90% of the time, but I would imagine community access time as well as some effort to host events and such. I imagine there is no shortage of tennis players that would use it, especially in the summer, rather than playing outdoors. Alternatively, if A&M built an indoor facility on campus, you know it would sit empty and unavailable that other 90% of the time.

Think of it this way, A&M is basically putting up half the cost and only using it 10% of the time.
techno-ag
AG
Roxie146 said:

I want to see what the financing is. Who is paying for it - who will benefit - how will the taxpayers in Bryan benefit.

Is this another boondoggle where TAMU gets all the benefit but the community pays for it?

TAMU has a responsibility to the community - Bryan, College Station, and Brazos County. The idea of "if you build it they will come" does not answer the question of who pays for the build and the infrastructure required behind all that building. - Water, Sewer, Streets, Emergency Response…………Policing, Fire …..

TAMU Golf is an example - sort of - lovely course, TAMU Golf - Traditions' homes are beautiful….. but I don't live there - and most of the Bryan citizens don't live there - so who truly benefits from their (TAMU's) presence.

If there is a case for a symbiotic relationship between city and school - then I'm all for it - but if TAMU is the parasite -ie gets all the benefit - then no.

Why should the citizens of Bryan underwrite a sports need for TAMU? (yes I know College Station helped in the Kyle Field build - hows that working out? - Hotel taxes being diverted to serve TAMU)

If it is such a great idea let a commercial builder do it. They will do it cheaper, pay taxes on the property and income taxes and control payroll. I am not in support for additional city employees manning a Tennis complex.

May I remind all that TAMU has $1B in resources - while my property taxes are sky high - once again Bryan is building a non taxable property - ie it is city owned - off the tax roles -

A great idea in principle - but not when you show the money flow - Let's see the money.
Have you seen the tax rates on those Traditions homes? Trust me, Bryan benefits.
TyHolden
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

According to Bjork, TAMU tennis would only use the indoor facility ~10% of the time. It will be interesting to see how Bryan uses it the other 90% of the time, but I would imagine community access time as well as some effort to host events and such. I imagine there is no shortage of tennis players that would use it, especially in the summer, rather than playing outdoors. Alternatively, if A&M built an indoor facility on campus, you know it would sit empty and unavailable that other 90% of the time.
Retirees play tennis and golf. Bryan has them both. The World of Tennis in Lakeway (outside of Austin) was built back when that area was known as an area for retirees. They built condos and a resort at the same time. They have tournaments year-round. Andy Roddick hosts one of them. The Hills of Lakeway (golf) has hosted the Fedex Cup many times. Texas A&M has an incredible tennis and golf program. You should know a couple of the big names. That's outside of the yearly local memberships.
txgardengirl
Just checked out the Coming Soon list and half of it is now open

Noting that traffic is starting to build, fish camps have begun and fall influx is near
Roxie146
I'm not questioning Traditions - just the TAMU golf relationship - like I said - its beautiful - and an asset to Bryan - just like any housing development elsewhere-

But like Miramont - private - you have to belong and pay for the club/ course

As a public institution with public dollars supporting it - (TAMU) taxpayer dollars supporting it - Traditions golf is private -

At least it sounds like the Tennis facilities will be public ….

And if this thread serves to open a window of transparency through discussion - and the information demonstrates a good public to public relationship - then I am all for it.

Trust but verify.
BQ_90
AG
This thread isn't for any of that discussion. It's comings and goings
TyHolden
AG
jja79
AG
Crust is really good. Great lunch specials.
Captn_Ag05
AG
techno-ag said:

TyHolden said:

SIAP...

Awesome. Bryan is doing great work.
From the board docs posted on the agenda for today:

The facility is 64,850 square feet and will house 6 tennis courts that also can be used as pickleball (12 courts). There are locker rooms, concessions, and seating for 980 people.

meezermom
There is a sign up in front of the Popeye's/Dutch Brothers on Texas that says "King Buffet Coming Soon" -- is it safe to assume this is the same as China King buffet? My kids want to know - they always loved the all you can eat desserts there...
rockelle
rocketscience said:

Roxie146 said:

Is this another boondoggle where TAMU gets all the benefit but the community pays for it?....

The financials are pretty well laid out in the city council agenda. The city and university are each putting $675,000 annually towards it. The university gets to use it for regularly scheduled practices and matches and when it is needed due to inclement weather. Otherwise, Bryan gets to use it.

But that ruins his rant.

Also, I'm hearing Bryan is getting a very large employer/manufacturer but I didn't hear the name of the company.
Chris98
AG
Any truth to Armalite HQ & manufacturing relocating to Bryan (200 acres on Mumford Rd)
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Chris98 said:

Any truth to Armalite HQ & manufacturing relocating to Bryan (200 acres on Mumford Rd)
Well I just looked at their website. Their address is in Arizona, but their phone number is a 979.

That's very interesting. (Assuming we're both talking about the firearms manufacturer).
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Chris98 said:

They reported it was a go on the news on Friday, WTAW. And said future plans included adding a retail portion of the site.
BCSWguru
Armalite in retail? hell yeah!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Chris98 said:

They reported it was a go on the news on Friday, WTAW. And said future plans included adding a retail portion of the site.
Any indication of how many jobs would be associated with the facility?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Chris98 said:

Short version - supposed to be up and running within 2.5 years, expect to have at least 45 full time jobs within 24 months after that. Then expect to have at least 70 full time jobs maintained after 5 years of operations.
Bigfootisreal
Any idea if they are hiring???
EBrazosAg
AG
It's the new "farm to table" for the BV - Lathe to Gunsafe
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG

Captn_Ag05 said:

Chris98 said:

Short version - supposed to be up and running within 2.5 years, expect to have at least 45 full time jobs within 24 months after that. Then expect to have at least 70 full time jobs maintained after 5 years of operations.
Bryan wins again!
Captn_Ag05
AG
I saw a post on Facebook that Rally House is holding a hiring event for their soon to be new location at Post Oak mall. Is the location at Texas/Bush moving or is this a second location? I would assume moving, but if moving I was confused why they are having a hiring event instead of just moving their staff from current to new location. Anyone know?
Captn_Ag05
AG

Captn_Ag05 said:

Chris98 said:

KBTX article

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/31/strategic-armory-corps-selects-city-bryan-their-new-world-headquarters/
TommyBrady
AG
Having the Army Future Command at RELLIS definitely helped bring SAC
AggiePhil
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Chris98 said:

KBTX article

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/31/strategic-armory-corps-selects-city-bryan-their-new-world-headquarters/
Exactly where on Mumford Road is this 204 acre property?
rocketscience
AG
There was discussion on the location of the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building previously. The university presented to the regents today that it will be on Lots 47. It was noted that this does not include a large performance venue to replace Rudder Auditorium which is being discussed.

Additional information and a rendering of the Aplin Center. Notably this is being structured as a P3 project.

TommyBrady
AG
rocketscience said:

There was discussion on the location of the Performance, Visualization, and Fine Arts building previously. The university presented to the regents today that it will be on Lots 47. It was noted that this does not include a large performance venue to replace Rudder Auditorium which is being discussed.

Additional information and a rendering of the Aplin Center. Notably this is being structured as a P3 project.

Yeah Beaver's $50 million gift is in kind. He won't actually give any gift money to TAMU.
maroon barchetta
Lot 47, that is currently being completely resurfaced, will then be torn up to hold a building?
Tailgate88
AG
Quote:

Do you mean, they are discussing putting a replacement somewhere else on campus? Why does Rudder Auditorium need replacing?
techno-ag
AG
rocketscience said:

Roxie146 said:

WTAW said the university pays for 71% if I heard right. TAMU gets priority in scheduling but then Bryan gets it the rest of the time. This is a great example of win-win.
maroon barchetta
Pipe down and pay your son's increased tuition and fees. And if he tries to take a class this summer that is only offered online, pipe down about the $995 Distance Education Fee, even though you live in town.
TXAGBQ76
AG
It is old and small.
Money is being raised via donations from individuals and Hollywood types
TommyBrady
AG
How old is Rudder?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.