BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,518 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
crbongos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hooters closing is bc Twin Peaks is so much better.
CRBongo
dilliam
Captn_Ag05 said:

City of Bryan donated land to Brazos Transit District to build a parking garage to service Midtown Park. The Transit District is apparently applying for a grant to help with costs. If it happens, the parking garage would have retail and restaurant space on the ground level and potentially space for a hotel.

https://wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/BryCoun022223MidtownPkPkgGarageMap.jpg
A development like this could really catalyze development in the surrounding neighborhood. Get a coffee shop, a small convenience store and maybe a bar in the commercial space and you've got a sweet little walkable development.
maroon barchetta
You said development twice.
sirhc
AG
Cuppa said:

HometownAg22 said:

Bcs90 said:

HEB near wheeler ridge is supposed to break ground this week.
yeah this is 100% not true.

Wife works for HEB. In their all company planning meeting last week they did not list any BCS stores planned for the next 18 months. Things can change though, but i wouldn't hold on to hope for anything soon.
I drive from this area all the way to the WDF location weekly. really need one
Captn_Ag05
AG
sirhc said:

Cuppa said:

HometownAg22 said:

Bcs90 said:

HEB near wheeler ridge is supposed to break ground this week.
yeah this is 100% not true.

Wife works for HEB. In their all company planning meeting last week they did not list any BCS stores planned for the next 18 months. Things can change though, but i wouldn't hold on to hope for anything soon.
I drive from this area all the way to the WDF location weekly. really need one
You have a Kroger right there
AG 86 BC
AG
Also need an HEB on Hwy 47 to serve West Bryan.
trouble
AG
Ewwwwwww.
Captn_Ag05
AG
AG 86 BC said:

Also need an HEB on Hwy 47 to serve West Bryan.
I think it is a while before an HEB would be justified in that area.
I'd really like to see an HEB in Northgate in the base of one of these new mid-rises going up. It would help keep the students away from the other HEB locations around town as well.
PS3D
trouble said:

Ewwwwwww.

Kroger has its own problems, yet all but the nicest HEB stores probably have more in common than Walmart than Kroger. I mean, warehouse store, low prices, store name promoted at the cost of everything else, limited deli department, huge parts of the parking lot converted to some sort of curbside service...
trouble
AG
That Kroger is a mess. There's nothing I like about it.

HEB and Walmart feel nothing alike, imo. And HEB branded products kick the ass of great value or whatever they are calling Walmart's stuff these days.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I shop at Kroger a lot. The fuel points are great, and the selection of organic items is really good.
Charpie
AG
trouble said:

HEB and Walmart feel nothing alike, imo. And HEB branded products kick the ass of great value or whatever they are calling Walmart's stuff these days.

This. Plus their own products usually test higher than the national brand. They take pride in that.
PS3D
trouble said:

I agree that individual stores are different, and H-E-B's stuff is probably better than Great Value on average (H-E-B meat is also superior, never said they were the same), but the overall selection is astonishingly mediocre for the sizes of the stores. But...not every H-E-B is going to be Jones Crossing-tier and the chain is vastly, vastly overrated.

Either way, an East Bypass/Miramont H-E-B is a few years away at the minimum.

Meanwhile, Da Baca Steakhouse (in College Station) WILL be groundbreaking in about 3-4 months and be done by early 2024.
KaneIsAble
AG
Went back 5 pages and didn't see it; what are they building at the corner of Wellborn Rd and Royder?
maroon barchetta
I think the sign said Scott & White clinic but I didn't get a good look.
FlyRod
Comparing HEB to Walmart might be the funniest thing I've read here in ages.

Any new HEB coming makes me happy. As someone else noted, might help to spread out the crowds.
trouble
AG
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so
Hittag1492
AG
FlyRod said:

Yes! I assumed it was just trolling. Even if comparing to Kroger, still a joke. Must be someone who works there? Anyway-I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. I worked at Walmart up to the district manager level and am no hater at all-I actually like many of the things they have improved over the past few years, but no Walmart or Kroger compares to HEB as far as a grocery store. Not even close.
BiochemAg97
AG
PS3D said:

trouble said:

Ewwwwwww.

Kroger has its own problems, yet all but the nicest HEB stores probably have more in common than Walmart than Kroger. I mean, warehouse store, low prices, store name promoted at the cost of everything else, limited deli department, huge parts of the parking lot converted to some sort of curbside service...

Huge parts of the parking lot… ie a couple dozen or so spaces.

BiochemAg97
AG
PS3D said:

trouble said:

Ewwwwwww.

Look, I'll agree that if you are looking at an HEB Pantry sized store, like the one in Ingleside TX, you are going to be somewhat space constrained and limited.

However, all the recent builds (last 10 years) I know of have a full deli, full bakery, sushi bar, tortilla ladies, etc similar to Jones Crossing and Tejas Center. I've also seen multiple similar sized (or bigger) locations built in Austin area in the last decade. I have yet to see a Walmart or Kroger with Tortilla ladies and a sushi bar.

They usually also have large parking lots (but never big enough during the 5-6pm rush) so that the curbside spaces are usually a small fraction of the space.

I admit that in some of the builds they added on (taking out parking space) when they started curbside (~5 years ago). I can think of at least three in Round Rock where that happened. But for the most part, that was side of the building parking that saw limited use anyway. Anything new includes the curbside facilities in the new build.
PS3D
Hittag1492 said:

FlyRod said:

Yes! I assumed it was just trolling. Even if comparing to Kroger, still a joke. Must be someone who works there? Anyway-I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. I worked at Walmart up to the district manager level and am no hater at all-I actually like many of the things they have improved over the past few years, but no Walmart or Kroger compares to HEB as far as a grocery store. Not even close.

Not trolling and without an agenda. H-E-B is the most overrated grocery store in existence, and this is from someone who spreads out shopping trips in another city (not CS anymore) between Walmart, HEB Plus, and a third grocery store.

HEB doesn't carry a lot of items that the other two do (at least one of them) despite being way bigger. You can debate me on another thread but I stand by my opinion.

maroon barchetta
There are some organic or natural items that I can get at Kroger or Village Foods that I can't get at HEB.

But for 99% of people or the products they want, HEB is the standard.

I've known people that moved to Houston for a temporary job assignment from north or east Texas and got spoiled by HEB and still complain that HEB has not moved further north, now that they are back home.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I've stumbled into the grocery store critic and strawberry tart fan forums it appears.
Charpie
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I've stumbled into the grocery store critic and strawberry tart fan forums it appears.
Hittag1492
AG
PS3D said:

Hittag1492 said:

FlyRod said:

Not trolling and without an agenda. H-E-B is the most overrated grocery store in existence, and this is from someone who spreads out shopping trips in another city (not CS anymore) between Walmart, HEB Plus, and a third grocery store.

HEB doesn't carry a lot of items that the other two do (at least one of them) despite being way bigger. You can debate me on another thread but I stand by my opinion.

No need to debate as it is not that big of a deal. People will just vote by where they shop. Multiple choices is a good thing. HEB will be fine either way it appears if popularity/sales/profitiblity are any kind of measure. All good-you shop at Wal-Mart and Kroger, I'll shop at HEB - not a problem.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

What if HEB started carrying the strawberry tart!

MindBlown.gif
AggiePhil
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

What if HEB started carrying the strawberry tart!

MindBlown.gif

I bet the HEB bakery could do them well!
EBrazosAg
AG
This is pretty derailed if you ask me……
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
BiochemAg97 said:

PS3D said:

trouble said:

Ewwwwwww.

However, all the recent builds (last 10 years) I know of have a full deli, full bakery, sushi bar, tortilla ladies, etc similar to Jones Crossing and Tejas Center. I've also seen multiple similar sized (or bigger) locations built in Austin area in the last decade. I have yet to see a Walmart or Kroger with Tortilla ladies and a sushi bar.

Kroger in Bryan has had a sushi bar since before the recent remodel.
MS08
AG
NEXT.
Carry on with coming & going.
That is all.
Hittag1492
AG
MS08 said:

NEXT.
Carry on with coming & going.
That is all.

If HEB was running this thread we would have already moved on. This whole distraction is 100% on Kroger…
toolshed
AG
What is being built on Harvey, next to Koppe Bridge on Pamela. It's been going on forever, especially the dirt work. I'm assuming it's an office of some sort.
FlyRod
Heard last night that the 1860 Italia/Petit Cochon folks are looking into opening a seafood restaurant.
toolshed
AG
I saw this on FB somewhere. It's a seafood restaurant and seafood market as well. I'd heard of a new fish market south of town, I assume this is it.
PS3D
toolshed said:

What is being built on Harvey, next to Koppe Bridge on Pamela. It's been going on forever, especially the dirt work. I'm assuming it's an office of some sort.

Dudley Dunham Engineering - https://www.arcthreestudio.com/harvey-hillsides-office

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.