BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,659 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's awful. They had some really nice breeds in there. And the cats were all friendly when I went.

Trying to cash in with a $500 rehoming fee is ridiculous
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

That's awful. They had some really nice breeds in there. And the cats were all friendly when I went.

Trying to cash in with a $500 rehoming fee is ridiculous

They had been struggling for a while, and trying to pawn off fixer-upper cats at a ridiculous price is probably less "cash in" and probably more trying to reduce a massive debt load.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
$3.7 million (common number these days) Union Oak Food Market renovation going in at Dartmouth - Holleman.

Captn_Ag05
AG
I found it interesting that the former FedEx property on Northgate that was previously marketed for construction of mid-rise housing is now being marketed just as a lease of the building and the parking lot. There was someone on here that mentioned that a 23-story building was planned for the space and issues were being worked through with the Methodist Church. It appears that is no longer in the cards. Maybe a sewage line issue?

https://d3k1yame0apvip.cloudfront.net/v2/client-10/website-9245/ccef944da42f9ab/509_University_Drive___Leasing_Flyer.pdf

Quote:

Exceptional traffic counts (~45,000 VPD)
  • Substantial foot traffic from densely populated Northgate District and Texas A&M University - Located on University Drive, directly across from Texas A&M University (Fall 2022 Enrollment over 74,000 Students)
  • Dedicated parking spaces with on site parking lot (36 spaces)
  • Prominent facade signage available - Area retailers include Starbucks, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Domino's Pizza, Potbelly, and CVS

Marooned_n_Aggieland
$650k renovation of the 4th, 5th, and 6th floors of the Varisco Building for TAMU lease space. Didn't know TAMU is leasing in downtown Bryan. Seems odd.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

$3.7 million (common number these days) Union Oak Food Market renovation going in at Dartmouth - Holleman.

Is that a convenience store? Not familiar with Union Oak Food Market
MS08
AG

Where The Lofts is? If so, good luck. The retail/commercial component there has been a massive failure from the get-go.
Captn_Ag05
AG
There were some stories about it a while back. I think it is TAMU's way of throwing a bone at the city of Bryan.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/12/29/varisco-building-downtown-bryan-getting-makeover-new-entertainment-venue-coming/
Captn_Ag05
AG
MS08 said:

Where The Lofts is? If so, good luck. The retail/commercial component there has been a massive failure from the get-go.
The address on TDLR is listed as 810 Holleman Drive East. This is the image of from the Loop Net site. It isn't at Dartmouth and Holleman.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/810-Holleman-Dr-E-College-Station-TX/24913984/
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Is that a convenient store? Not familiar with Union Oak Food Market
23k square feet is not insubstantial. It's smaller than a "real" supermarket but larger than Trader Joe's, Aldi, etc.
Tailgate88
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

The address on TDLR is listed as 810 Holleman Drive East. This is the image of from the Loop Net site. It isn't at Dartmouth and Holleman.

That's the old Sears place right behind the mall. It's been vacant for a few years.
MS08
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

That's the old Sears place right behind the mall. It's been vacant for a few years.
Yes, very familiar with the location. Seen construction trades trickle in and around there. Very much a no man's land location. Warehouse/Industrial use, sure, a store that requires day-in and day-out shopping seems bold and aggressive for this location. A risk I would not take, but best wishes to the developer and development!
maroon barchetta
It can be the new Texas Hall Of Fame!
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

There were some stories about it a while back. I think it is TAMU's way of throwing a bone at the city of Bryan.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/12/29/varisco-building-downtown-bryan-getting-makeover-new-entertainment-venue-coming/
Quote:

Major investment in Downtown Bryan with the Varisco Building, two stories of renovation for a distillery, rooftop bar, it should be a destination for Aggies and their parents and all the families here in the community," said Mayor Andrew Nelson of Bryan.

I'm sold
Captn_Ag05
AG
MS08 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

Yes, very familiar with the location. Seen construction trades trickle in and around there. Very much a no man's land location. Warehouse/Industrial use, sure, a store that requires day-in and day-out shopping seems bold and aggressive for this location. A risk I would not take, but best wishes to the developer and development!
The owner listed on TDLR has a couple of projects in Waco, one of which is Union Hall, a food hall (https://unionhallwaco.com/). They are using Union in the name here, so perhaps Food Market is actually going to be something similar to Union Hall rather than a store.
MS08
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

The owner listed on TDLR has a couple of projects in Waco, one of which is Union Hall, a food hall (https://unionhallwaco.com/). They are using Union in the name here, so perhaps Food Market is actually going to be something similar to Union Hall rather than a store.
Gotcha, I know the spot in Waco. Been there. It is a grouping of a lot of different restaurants in one location, cool concept! But, it is located in a downtown type area with a lot of traffic, other dining around it, and is walkable. But, again, it is a cool concept and I hope it is successful. I feel like the location is a stretch here. "If you build it they will come," maybe.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Agreed, if that is the idea for that location (which is just speculation at this point based on the owner), I think a spot in Downtown Bryan, perhaps in the area where the farmer's market sets up, would be a better spot. But, it isn't my money, so more power to them.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Perhaps this food hall is part of the development that the mayor and city council members have been alluding to by the mall. The indication was that there would also be apartments and townhomes built as part of the development.
MS08
AG
Interesting. Wouldn't surprise me as COCS has had Urban dreams for Wolf Pen Creek corridor right here since 2008. But, typically, you would see rooftops before commercial in a mixed use development area.
techno-ag
AG
MS08 said:

Interesting. Wouldn't surprise me as COCS has had Urban dreams for Wolf Pen Creek corridor right here since 2008. But, typically, you would see rooftops before commercial in a mixed use development area.
At least College Station didn't buy the place outright.
phillytex24
MS08 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

MS08 said:

It's the perfect location! Wolf Pen event traffic, easy access from the bypass, and Cavender's. I hope it's going to be like a Trader Joes!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I was incorrect on the location and thanks for quickly correcting.

That old Sears service place is, well, unattractive to say it nicely. It looks cheap and lacks an image of purpose. I would agree with others on this being a challenge for a retail location but I hope things take off for them.

There was a little discussion on the All Up in Your Business podcast about businesses looking for existing structures vs land for a new structure. What holds this area back from development? I would think the struggling mall across the street is a boat anchor.
phillytex24

That old Sears service place is, well, unattractive to say it nicely. It looks cheap and lacks an image of purpose. I would agree with others on this being a challenge for a retail location but I hope things take off for them.

There was a little discussion on the All Up in Your Business podcast about businesses looking for existing structures vs land for a new structure. What holds this area back from development? I would think the struggling mall across the street is a boat anchor.

Let me encourage you! That location is a hidden gem! It's such easy access, especially if you're coming from SoCo you just do the flipperoo turn-around on Hwy 6- not even a traffic light to wait at. Lots of foot traffic, as the population density is high over there; lots of students. Plus you can avoid the horror show that's become Harvey Road, with all the medians. Give it a chance, whoever chose that location is brilliant! I imagine they'll demolish the current building.
Bucketrunner
Yeah, shopping Harvey Road will become a pain in the rear.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I really can't tell if you are being sarcastic or supportive lol
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

It's a really well done post. Bill Burr would be proud.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Did we already talk about Murdoch's (https://www.murdochs.com/) opening a location at the mall? If feels like it has been discussed, but they are doing a $2.5 million renovation according to TDLR.
techno-ag
AG
phillytex24 said:

Let me encourage you! That location is a hidden gem! It's such easy access, especially if you're coming from SoCo you just do the flipperoo turn-around on Hwy 6- not even a traffic light to wait at. Lots of foot traffic, as the population density is high over there; lots of students. Plus you can avoid the horror show that's become Harvey Road, with all the medians. Give it a chance, whoever chose that location is brilliant! I imagine they'll demolish the current building.
It's right off the bypass.
ratfacemcdougal
Did you sell SoFly to Taco Bell ????
phillytex24
maroon barchetta said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

It's a really well done post. Bill Burr would be proud.

I'm serious. I used to live in SoCo, and worked at the mall. I used that flipperoo, turn around and could get to work in 7 minutes because I didn't hit any lights off Hwy 6. It will be a great location!!
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Did we already talk about Murdoch's (https://www.murdochs.com/) opening a location at the mall? If feels like it has been discussed, but they are doing a $2.5 million renovation according to TDLR.

Yes, I posted it a while back. Other half of the old Sears.
rocketscience
AG
Rusty said on his Facebook page that he can confirm Pluckers is coming to College Station in 2024.
trouble
AG
rocketscience said:

Rusty said on his Facebook page that he can confirm Pluckers is coming to College Station in 2024.

I'm still skeptical. Last time they were just jacking with us
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

rocketscience said:

It will be next to the Waffle House, in the Whole Foods plaza
techno-ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

trouble said:

rocketscience said:

It will be next to the Waffle House, in the Whole Foods plaza
Near Pappadeaux.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.