BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,657 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Ordered a couple of gyros for delivery last Friday. My husband and I really enjoyed them. Lots of meat, just the right amount of sauce, and we loved the fries in them. Many, many years ago we vacationed in Greece and fondly remember the street vendor gyros in Athens that had fries in them. We are happy to have something similar in BCS.

I tried the Gyro from SoFly recently, and Nick's is much better. I have eaten at Shiraz many times, but have never ordered the gyro (can't get past the kebobs and baba ganoush). I'll have to give Zands a try.
TyHolden
AG
where can you get pizza cones???
Captn_Ag05
AG
Three-plus years after announcing that they were building a location, Drury Inn and Suites submitted their site plans to the city of College Station for their location at Chimney Hill. It will be a 7-story, 160 bed hotel.
Goose83
AG
toolshed said:

AggieAces06 said:

Charpie said:

When I was there yesterday, one of the managers said it would be expanding

When I went last week the manager were walking around discussing the new location of certain aisles and produce. I figured they were starting to plan out the new floor layout.

They've completely flipped the layout of the aisles at Tejas/ Villa Maria. It irritates me the last time this happened, now they go and do it again.
It really sucks now, as for the most part, there was nothing really wrong with the way its was before (some minor changes maybe, but turning the whole store upside down, no).

While they're at it, they really need to put in a proper butcher counter, as the way it's setup now is really awkward.

That said, Kroger at Boonville still has to be the most awkwardly laid out store in town, with one of the two main entrances feeding directly into the cash registers (I assume that that door was mean't to be more of an exit, but with the layout of the parking lot, along with the early closing of the other door, ends up funneling everyone into that side by default).
MS08
AG
Oh, Kroger, they're trying, I guess.
Txmoe
AG
MS08 said:

Oh, Kroger, they're trying, I guess.
And that Boonville Kroger is head and shoulders above the meth* Kroger in So-COST.
(*refers to both customers and employees.)
Captn_Ag05
AG
There is a community meeting on Zoom from 12-1:30 today to discuss the redevelopment plans for University and Texas.

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82742674451?pwd=NjBQRktyWHB4eEcrUFUvb0xkTDlRZz09

Meeting ID: 827 4267 4451

Passcode: 412170

Quote:

The City of College Station is beginning a new planning effort for the Texas/University Redevelopment Area. This effort will engage property owners and interested residents in a process to envision a cohesive district that welcomes visitors and residents into the City, incorporates vertical and horizonal mixed-uses, supports existing commercial uses, and provides a greater mix of housing options to support the growing population seeking to live, work, and play near Texas A&M University. The effort will imagine changes to the area that better serve the two major corridors that intersect within the redevelopment area and will complement the nearby hospitality corridor, Eastgate area, and Texas A&M University campus. This planning effort stems from discussions with residents and appointed and elected officials during the recent update to the City's Comprehensive Plan.
maroon barchetta
Are they going to convince the U-Haul place and the high-price gas station across the street to sell and get bulldozed?

Also, leave Fuego alone.
AggiePhil
AG
Korean BBQ coming to the old Fudd's.
hereford
AG
Is this going in the empty space behind Starbucks, Five Guys, etc.?
Captn_Ag05
AG
hereford said:

Is this going in the empty space behind Starbucks, Five Guys, etc.?

Yes
Captn_Ag05
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Are they going to convince the U-Haul place and the high-price gas station across the street to sell and get bulldozed?

Also, leave Fuego alone.
I think that is their hope. They want density and better looking buildings. If A&M and the city want a better "entrance" to the university there, that seems like a great location to put the $100 million museum of natural history the A&M board of regents recently approved to build.
dilliam
Captn_Ag05 said:

There is a community meeting on Zoom from 12-1:30 today to discuss the redevelopment plans for University and Texas.

Quote:

The City of College Station is beginning a new planning effort for the Texas/University Redevelopment Area. This effort will engage property owners and interested residents in a process to envision a cohesive district that welcomes visitors and residents into the City, incorporates vertical and horizonal mixed-uses, supports existing commercial uses, and provides a greater mix of housing options to support the growing population seeking to live, work, and play near Texas A&M University. The effort will imagine changes to the area that better serve the two major corridors that intersect within the redevelopment area and will complement the nearby hospitality corridor, Eastgate area, and Texas A&M University campus. This planning effort stems from discussions with residents and appointed and elected officials during the recent update to the City's Comprehensive Plan.

Community meeting during the middle of the work day... Thats a great way to get the opinion of young, working adults...
maroon barchetta
The county and Union Pacific had middle of the day forums the first couple of times they were talking about closing the Wade and Straub crossings. With very little notification. At the courthouse, on the other end of the county from the people that would be affected.

This is business as usual for local government.
UmustBKidding
You act like they want your input, how quaint. They want to be able to check the box that said they had a public hearing. Former COCS planning director told me explicitly during a hearing that sorry we have already made the decision to recommend to the council to annex you we are only holding these because the state mandated them.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Captn_Ag05
AG
dilliam said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

Community meeting during the middle of the work day... Thats a great way to get the opinion of young, working adults...
I certainly wasn't able to make it, but if there is anyone that did, I'd be interested in a summary. It was supposed to be recorded, so hopefully posted somewhere.
phillytex24
Captn_Ag05 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Also, leave Fuego alone.
I think that is their hope. They want density and better looking buildings. If A&M and the city want a better "entrance" to the university there, that seems like a great location to put the $100 million museum of natural history the A&M board of regents recently approved to build.

I hope it works, otherwise it would be worth eminent domain to take that property. I would love to see Fuego move to a more accessible location, hate the parking lot there.

I remember being so glad that the Adult Video store closed down, then only to be replaced next door by another eyesore: UHaul. Ugh. That location is one of the gateways to A&M- it should look nice.
australopithecus robustus
I honestly don't think the city or a developer could afford to move fuego from there. Between what the landlord and fuego ownership make I just don't think it could happen.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Legends Event Center in Midtown Park is going to build a boathouse and boat ramps on the lake. They are also going to put in four beach volleyball courts in between the event center and the lake. It looks like the beach volleyball courts will have spectator seating as well.
techno-ag
AG
That is awesome. Kudos to whoever thought up the Legends Event Center at Midtown. It's a destination attraction for Bryan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
techno-ag said:

That is awesome. Kudos to whoever thought up the Legends Event Center at Midtown. It's a destination attraction for Bryan.
It really is looking great. I do feel a little bad for the residents in between Midtown Park and Travis Fields, though.

Once Shulman's is built, it will be quite the destination. I wonder if the hotel that was discussed early on is still in the plans?
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Legends Event Center in Midtown Park is going to build a boathouse and boat ramps on the lake. They are also going to put in four beach volleyball courts in between the event center and the lake. It looks like the beach volleyball courts will have spectator seating as well.

Boat ramp seems a little excessive. Doesn't seem like you would need much bigger than some kayaks/canoes on the "lake".

Although, I guess a ramp for water rescue wouldn't be a bad idea.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe there is a plan for paddleboat rentals at the lake once they have completed work on it. I am guessing that is what the boat ramps will be for.
bushytailed
AG
So-Fly announced on Facebook that they are closing March 12 but will return as a ghost kitchen/secret menu at Burger Mojo.
maroon barchetta
Dang. That was fast.
b0ridi
Too close to the bypass
MiMi
S
bushytailed said:

So-Fly announced on Facebook that they are closing March 12 but will return as a ghost kitchen/secret menu at Burger Mojo.
FB post says they had an offer on the building they just couldn't refuse.
AggieCVQ
Wonder what it was. So fly is legit though.
KidDoc
AG
bushytailed said:

What a bummer. It is one of the only fast food places I feel like is worth the calorie bomb.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I listened to part of the City of College Station economic development podcast and it was mentioned that there is exciting development coming to the old Albertsons. They said they couldn't announce the name of the tenants (plural) yet. I am interested to see how that redevelops.
maroon barchetta
New lift station!
australopithecus robustus
b0ridi said:

Too close to the bypass

Burger King and wings n more say hello!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I listened to part of the City of College Station economic development podcast and it was mentioned that there is exciting development coming to the old Albertsons. They said they couldn't announce the name of the tenants (plural) yet. I am interested to see how that redevelops.
Finally! We can eat chicken fingers while getting our nails done all in one location: Chicken Express Nails is coming to College Station!
A Net Full of Jello
AG
bushytailed said:

Secret menus are annoying. Just open up a place selling the dang strawberry tarts. That's what the people want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.