BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

658,325 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Frittella will probably reopen on schedule. Chicken Oil Company will probably remain shut forever.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still haven't seen anyone working over there. I wish they would just announce it because my 7 year old reads the dang "reopening 2023" banner every time we drive by.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

I still haven't seen anyone working over there. I wish they would just announce it because my 7 year old reads the dang "reopening 2023" banner every time we drive by.


At this point, I wouldn't reopen chicken oil until Aug/Sept.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At this point, I think they'll need crews working there every day until then to have any chance of that.
Dustoff00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought I read Oct 2023 for Chicken Oil reopening…
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lick ice cream is open in Century Square and should be moved out of coming soon.

P.s. it's pretty good, though a little pricey
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New high-rise at University and Wellborn by Up Campus Properties is currently called Nova Northgate. Construction is expected to begin in 2024 and completed before the Fall 2026 semester.



https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/college-station-skyline-keeps-growing-with-student-focused-high-rise-housing/article_04fa9e3a-ea03-11ed-8fad-33c72c9f4bf3.html
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline then metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.


Because then all the traffic problems will be caused by students living in that part of town trying to get anywhere else and then back home.
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don's forget about the sewage problems.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.


That's not how density works at all.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.


That's not how density works at all.

Concentrating students allows traditional neighborhoods to flourish easier. Sorry if you disagree, but that's a hard row you're choosing to hoe convincing people otherwise. Many of us have stated on here multiple times how we're fans of concentrating students in Northgate.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.


That's not how density works at all.

Concentrating students allows traditional neighborhoods to flourish easier. Sorry if you disagree, but that's a hard row you're choosing to hoe convincing people otherwise. Many of us have stated on here multiple times how we're fans of concentrating students in Northgate.


Would it though? High rise apartments/dorms on Northgate will be occupied by students wanting/willing to live in a dorm/apartment. They don't have to be concentrated in Northgate, you just need plenty of dorms and apartments complexes to accommodate.

There will always be a different segment of students who don't want to live in a dorm or apartment and are looking for a house. Those are going to be the students that are going to impact "traditional neighborhoods". And if your looking for a house, it doesn't matter how many high rises they build on Northgate, that isn't what you are in the market for.

As long as there are enough dorms/apartments to accommodate all the students wanting that type of living, adding more doesn't help your traditional neighborhoods. On the other hand, if there aren't enough dorms/apartments and student who would otherwise live in an apartment/dorm are forced into houses, then more high rises on Northgate would help.


On the other hand, concentrating all the students into one part of town will result in traffic problems as the students all go to and from the high density area. Campus will still have the traditional weekday rush hour traffic as employees still need to get to and from the university. But traffic associated with students going to/from other activities will ultimately trend towards a perpetual traffic jam in and around Northgate.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Will" is the wrong word.

The high rises are here. And we were going to have congestion regardless. We are the largest campus in the country by student pop.

Glad to see more high rises in NG.
Vulcan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw roof work being done at former Johnny Carino's….anything going in there or just maintenance?
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vulcan said:

I saw roof work being done at former Johnny Carino's….anything going in there or just maintenance?


I heard Carinos was reopening.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The building was listed and then up for auction. That doesn't seem probable.
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday I was wondering the same when I saw that the sign was no longer covered.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe they are getting ready to remove and replace the sign.
SalesAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was under the impression that one of the local food management groups was opening a new concept in this location.
aggiemom89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When is Trudy's supposed to open in the old red lobster location?
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rocketscience said:

New high-rise at University and Wellborn by Up Campus Properties is currently called Nova Northgate. Construction is expected to begin in 2024 and completed before the Fall 2026 semester.



https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/college-station-skyline-keeps-growing-with-student-focused-high-rise-housing/article_04fa9e3a-ea03-11ed-8fad-33c72c9f4bf3.html
Any speculation on what the ground level retail will be? I really want one of the new mid-rises to have a grocery store concept or city Target. The lot that has been cleared at Boyett and University would be the best location for one, in my opinion.
RyanFromTexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captn_Ag05 said:

rocketscience said:

New high-rise at University and Wellborn by Up Campus Properties is currently called Nova Northgate. Construction is expected to begin in 2024 and completed before the Fall 2026 semester.



https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/college-station-skyline-keeps-growing-with-student-focused-high-rise-housing/article_04fa9e3a-ea03-11ed-8fad-33c72c9f4bf3.html
Any speculation on what the ground level retail will be? I really want one of the new mid-rises to have a grocery store concept or city Target. The lot that has been cleared at Boyett and University would be the best location for one, in my opinion.
I think based on the location and distance to many dorms, a Target, like what is in Austin, Athens, State College, etc is a very reasonable guess.
RyanFromTexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline then metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
I was going through Beaumont the other day and I would say CS is already nicer. Waco desperately needs a new prominent focus tower to replace the very dated Alico.

In terms of Texas metro skyline tiers:

Tier 1:

Houston
Dallas
Austin

Tier 2:

San Antonio
Fort Worth
-------
Corpus Christi (better than the cities below, but only because of Shoreline and the bay front)

Tier 3:

El Paso (the buildings are mostly old, but the mountains are a nice backdrop)
Midland
Lubbock
Waco
College Station
Amarillo
Tyler
Beaumont

I think CS is a building or two away from clearly being at the top of this Tier 3 group. And out of these cities, it is also probably the most likely to get those types of new, tall buildings.
snaglepuss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiemom89 said:

When is Trudy's supposed to open in the old red lobster location?
I'm starting to think it may never happen...
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
snaglepuss said:

aggiemom89 said:

When is Trudy's supposed to open in the old red lobster location?
I'm starting to think it may never happen...


Right after La Madeleine and Pappasitos open.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

bcstx06 said:

Nice! I hope they keep coming! Starting to get a better skyline than metros that are a little larger than this area (Midland, Odessa, Beaumont, Waco, etc).
You bet. Loving it. Concentrate students in one part of town, as much as possible.


That's not how density works at all.

Concentrating students allows traditional neighborhoods to flourish easier. Sorry if you disagree, but that's a hard row you're choosing to hoe convincing people otherwise. Many of us have stated on here multiple times how we're fans of concentrating students in Northgate.

As tempting as it as to go after the uninformed opinions and bad takes of TexAgs, the infrastructure is a major concern. The sewage is one such concern, inter-city politics aside, the Rosemary sewer project is one consequence of that. There's also University Drive to contend to. Most students still have cars, and that puts enormous pressure on University Drive, which is still a major east-west throughfare in College Station, and it's not economical to build anymore. Trying to blast College View through to Wellborn and upgrade it to a four-lane avenue will be politically impossible, and boring a tunnel underneath campus would be also functionally impossible.

Don't forget--all of these new apartments in Northgate are of course expensive, so unless you want to be footing the bill for subsidized student apartments (the outrage would be legendary), then students are going to be priced out. This is why the South Knoll area has been turning into student housing, and encouraging more high-density development in Northgate will accelerate, not slow, that trend.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry PS. That genie has already been let out the bottle. Most of the NG high rises have already been built.
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Im not sure I follow. Is your point that infrastructure is not capable of meeting the demand for high rises in Northgate ?

I think you traffic argument is somewhat a strawman
AgAcGuy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vulcan said:

I saw roof work being done at former Johnny Carino's….anything going in there or just maintenance?


New owners originally from the area now out of SA. It's going to be a wing and sports bar franchise but I can't recall the name. Whatever restaurant that supposedly invented the Buffalo chicken wing is what I remember. Seem like good folks from my conversations with them.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgAcGuy12 said:

Vulcan said:

I saw roof work being done at former Johnny Carino's….anything going in there or just maintenance?


New owners originally from the area now out of SA. It's going to be a wing and sports bar franchise but I can't recall the name. Whatever restaurant that supposedly invented the Buffalo chicken wing is what I remember. Seem like good folks from my conversations with them.


Anchor Bar, probably.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cyp0111 said:

Im not sure I follow. Is your point that infrastructure is not capable of meeting the demand for high rises in Northgate ?

I think you traffic argument is somewhat a strawman
How is it a strawman argument? Strawman arguments are "fake examples that are easily debunked" not "I don't like your argument for whatever reason".


On a traffic level, the new buildings will very much put pressure on the existing roadway network and University Drive in particular. All of these new towers have parking garages, and multiple studies do show that in general, higher density does lead to higher traffic in most situations (the exceptions being New York). They're not going to just stay in their "quadrant", they're going to go out and around to the city.


If you don't think higher density will lead to more traffic, I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that if they knocked down some houses on your street to build one of those big, Houston-style five-story apartment buildings that you would be a fool to think it wouldn't lead to more traffic on your street.
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, what is your solution. Let kids continue to spread through college station or build in a concentrated level. Traffic may be worse (according to some studies) but fail to see the benefit of keeping college kids closer to college.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe all this deserves a separate thread rather than a hijack…..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.