BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

658,718 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

Garhett_W said:

Well that ain't gonna be confusing with The Cottages of College Station and Woodlands of College Station.
No worse than Midtown Bryan and Midtown College Station.

College Station's Midtown should have been called Uptown.
AggieCVQ
Waiting for the Point Tower development in CS and the Maria Villa Rd in Bryan to go up.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Tropical Smoothie Cafe on university has their grand opening January 27.
doubledog
bcstx06 said:

techno-ag said:

Garhett_W said:

Well that ain't gonna be confusing with The Cottages of College Station and Woodlands of College Station.

How about North Navasota.
Tailgate88
AG
bcstx06 said:

techno-ag said:

Garhett_W said:

Why? If anything the University Drive - Harvey Rd area should be Uptown.

Quote:

The term uptown is used to refer to the cardinal direction north. Such concepts derive from Manhattan's elongated shape, running roughly northsouth and nowhere more than 2 mi (3.2 km) wide. As such, transportation on the island travels in the uptown/downtown directions.

Looks pretty MId-townish to me.

EBrazosAg
AG
That's Indian Lakes……
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
australopithecus robustus
TAMU, Ngate and Century Square serve as a shared CBD for both cities, at least geographically making it downtown in the absence of a traditional city center, this means…..

Bryan's midtown is aptly named, but also serves as CS uptown.

CS midtown is aptly named.

Bryan's downtown is aptly named.

Bryan's uptown is sandy point prison working over to the BRAC athletic complex. Hardly an uptown feel, but uptown nonetheless.
legalbird
Wonder if Greg could fill us in on the new location of pizza.
Jsimonds58
AG
Gotta say zeitman's might be the best deli I've ever eaten at. Blake has an absolute WINNER with this
Captn_Ag05
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

From TDLR, a development called Woodland Cottages of College Station is going to be located at 1850 Arnold Road.
Quote:

Multifamily development with 10 multifamily buildings and 1 clubhouse building with leasing office, fitness room, and outdoor pool

More info:

Quote:

Carbon Companies is heading into 2023 by expanding its multifamily portfolio in The Texas Triangle with a sprawling senior living development in College Station.

Dubbed Woodland Cottages College Station, the project will include 10 buildings with 60 independent living units across a 99,000-square-foot gated community, Carbon Companies told TRD. It will cost nearly $12 million to construct, or about $200,000 per unit, according to a Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing.

The development will be located at 1850 Arnold Road, next to Bachmann Park, College Station Middle School and a number of single-family neighborhoods. Construction is expected to begin next month and last until mid-2024. A fitness room and a pool are among the project's amenities.
The firm identified a unique need for a specific type of senior housing in the city, Carbon Companies partner Mark Matise said.

bushytailed
AG
I'm not-so-patiently waiting for Piasano's to reopen in its new location.
JaxDad
AG
CWIsom said:

The date is 2022? Anyone know what's going on?
legalbird
Looks like a lease issue.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Wonder if that's a typo by landlord?
MiMi
S
Definitely a typo
Bones2012
AG
The gas station across from shiner park was demolished last week. Any info on the new development there? I'm assuming a hi rise? The small size of that lot makes me think this one will go straight up.
PS3D
Bones2012 said:

The gas station across from shiner park was demolished last week. Any info on the new development there? I'm assuming a hi rise? The small size of that lot makes me think this one will go straight up.

Even accounting for unused space on the lot, it's far smaller than any other high rise plat.

Honestly I would assume just a more larger and more modern gas station.
australopithecus robustus
No way that's not bankable. It's going vertical without a doubt. Developer from Houston known for that
Expert Analysis
AG
Student housing was the plan. Haven't seen the actual development yet.
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/09/22/more-student-housing-could-be-coming-northgate-district/
BiochemAg97
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

No way that's not bankable. It's going vertical without a doubt. Developer from Houston known for that

Curious about why you think not bankable? I assume in reference to bigger gas station.
PS3D
Expert Analysis said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/09/22/more-student-housing-could-be-coming-northgate-district/
Unless you know something I don't, they never selected a developer for the site (Oldham Goodwin is real estate agency, not a developer), and the tight layout makes it exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to fit both any streetside retail in AND have a parking garage.

It could be done if they bought out The Backyard and/or converted the Northgate parking lot into a garage with resident-designated spots but both of those sound like unfeasible options.
BiochemAg97
AG
It is a 1/2 acre lot. You could do 1st floor retail. I think it would be small, (~10000 sqft?) Maybe a convenience store or a bar. Then you need a ramp up to parking on 2nd+ floors, plus stairs and elevators separate from retail. Maybe have parking entrance off Patricia St.

Retail doesn't need parking given the city parking lot and mostly foot traffic in northgate area, so whole lot can basically be building with some minimal setbacks for sidewalks.

And then do residential above the parking. Need to balance parking and residential but that is just a matter of getting the ratio of floors right.
TyHolden
AG
based off the last Northgate District pics I saw, I'd say it's going to be a Tifany's....
PS3D
BiochemAg97 said:

It is a 1/2 acre lot. You could do 1st floor retail. I think it would be small, (~10000 sqft?) Maybe a convenience store or a bar. Then you need a ramp up to parking on 2nd+ floors, plus stairs and elevators separate from retail. Maybe have parking entrance off Patricia St.

Retail doesn't need parking given the city parking lot and mostly foot traffic in northgate area, so whole lot can basically be building with some minimal setbacks for sidewalks.

And then do residential above the parking. Need to balance parking and residential but that is just a matter of getting the ratio of floors right.
I'd like to see a comparable building with what you're describing, because the Rise is on a bigger lot, the Central Parking Garage is on a bigger lot, and as is most Houston mid-rises.

The longer it goes on without a rendering or concrete announcement, the more likely it's not going to go anywhere. Many ultimately cancelled buildings and businesses on Northgate got further along in terms of that.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It did sell quickly. It was off the Oldham Goodwin listings within about a week of going up. So, there was/is clearly interest from some developer. The city manager said in an interview that more mid-rises will be coming in Northgate soon.
AG81
AG
PS3D said:

Expert Analysis said:

Unless you know something I don't, they never selected a developer for the site (Oldham Goodwin is real estate agency, not a developer), and the tight layout makes it exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to fit both any streetside retail in AND have a parking garage.

It could be done if they bought out The Backyard and/or converted the Northgate parking lot into a garage with resident-designated spots but both of those sound like unfeasible options.

Uh, might want to check out Oldham Goodwin's web page. Perhaps you can explain how they're NOT a developer despite having an entire "Development" division with multiple projects.
rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

It did sell quickly. It was off the Oldham Goodwin listings within about a week of going up. So, there was/is clearly interest from some developer. The city manager said in an interview that more mid-rises will be coming in Northgate soon.
From what I can find, it was purchased by Will and Reagan Swinbank, the sons of Joe Swinbank (as in the Shirley and Joe Swinbank '74 AgriLife Center). At some point within the past few years they sold the company they co-owned, Sprint Waste Services.

They could be making a play at multifamily development/commercial real estate or, given their experience in waste, may be doing the gas station remediation to flip and sell the property to a developer. Those are all the details I've found and the most likely guesses I have.
PS3D
AG81 said:

PS3D said:

Expert Analysis said:

Uh, might want to check out Oldham Goodwin's web page. Perhaps you can explain how they're NOT a developer despite having an entire "Development" division with multiple projects.

OK, it looks like they have a development DIVISION...but, then again, so did Exxon until the mid-1990s. And even if they did have a hand in development, they have lots and lots of low-rise developments, so thinking that it will go high-rise solely based on "the developer does high rise stuff" is also wrong.
Expert Analysis
AG
They marketed the land and quickly sold it as high density student housing. Until we have final plans then that is the likely use of the land.
They could build it without parking. The parking garage is near by and tons of foreign students don't even have cars.
FlyRod
Drove past a new food truck in Bryan on Texas called (I think) "Smash Burger." Did not appear to be related to the chain.
CEAg78
AG
Expert Analysis said:

They marketed the land and quickly sold it as high density student housing. Until we have final plans then that is the likely use of the land.
They could build it without parking. The parking garage is near by and tons of foreign students don't even have cars.

Unless they have a long-term contract with the city-owned garage, it's hard to believe COCS would waive parking requirements.
Somebody has to lose. Might as well be t.u.
PS3D
Expert Analysis said:

They're not going to build without parking or some sort of waiver agreement. And foreign students without cars are definitely not the target audience.

Unless they want to assemble more land or reconfigure the entire block, I'm guessing the reason for the delay in news that the land will either be developed as something low-rise after all or flipped entirely.

I can see two possible and realistic scenarios:
1) Developer is waiting to assemble more land, possibly taking out The Backyard (despite the building being close to a century old) though it would push back any development for some time
2) Developer hit a road block in regards to parking and logistics, so will be developed as something low-rise after all or waiting to be flipped.

Captn_Ag05
AG
I am confused as to why you think it has been some long period of time without any announcement. The property went on the market in the fall of 2022. We are in January of 2023. The gas station on the land has already been cleared. It usually takes months if not years to develop plans, announce them, start construction, etc. There is nothing about the timing so far that would make me think there is some significant roadblock preventing development. I don't think it has even been long enough to hit a roadblock.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Stone Center of Texas is opening a location at 1595 Sebesta Road in College Station.

https://stonecenteroftexas.com/
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

I am confused as to why you think it has been some long period of time without any announcement. The property went on the market in the fall of 2022. We are in January of 2023. The gas station on the land has already been cleared. It usually takes months if not years to develop plans, announce them, start construction, etc. There is nothing about the timing so far that would make me think there is some significant roadblock preventing development. I don't think it has even been long enough to hit a roadblock.
The Rise, Aspire, and whatever's replacing the Lutheran Center were announced before their respective previous buildings were demolished and construction began immediately, as well as the Lutheran center on College Main. If there was a real plan, the gas station would've operated until everything was signed off on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.