BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,597 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
aggies4life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
La Riviera Restaurant lasted a good amount of time until I believe their rent greatly increased….
MyNameIsJeff
AG
FlyRod said:

bushytailed said:

Saints and Sinners announced on FB that they're suspending operations effective today.

Ugh. That spot is an infamous Dead Zone for restaurants. I'm impressed Babylon Cafe has made it this far.
I think I've been in that center twice in the 13 years I've lived here to go to the Redwing store. That said, I hear Chubby's is good, and it's in the same center.
trouble
AG
Chubby's is excellent.
Hornbeck
aggies4life said:

La Riviera Restaurant lasted a good amount of time until I believe their rent greatly increased….

One of the better places to eat in town. Wish they were still here.
MS08
AG
Hornbeck said:

aggies4life said:

One of the better places to eat in town. Wish they were still here.

Wife worked there when she was in college rocking the gold tie that was a part of the uniform.
AggieCVQ
Same was a really good & unique restaurant
BryanPooch
Saints and Sinners had chicken and doughnuts as its signature dish. My partner refused to even consider going there. And we try just about everything, including about 100 meals at LA Riviera.
BryanPooch
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. I just couldn't see anything compelling to me to even try it. And I ate at La Rivera regularly…. The concept was flawed more than the location…. But it didn't help.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MS08
AG
Terrible name, to boot, IMO.
rocketscience
AG
Bryan is dreaming big!

https://www.bryantx.gov/new-mixed-use-destination-envisioned-for-the-city-of-bryan/?fbclid=IwAR2YplOPrWzKFCB0tZfPJEYXY59JMOapw3D7UXLBUhrRS6FqLX52IgjH73o_aem_Ae5-RY-xufdphapqd7_DFN9GPcVri0ZlT24IimFDq9fblbeAsr9HuUK4538NafBWbJk&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

techno-ag
AG
Bryan is knocking it out of the park!

From your link:
Quote:

The proposed redevelopment is located on South College Avenue across from Hensel Park, within walking distance of Century Square, and behind the Northgate Entertainment District. It is 2,200 feet from Texas A&M's campus and less than 4 miles from Historic Downtown Bryan and Travis Bryan Midtown Park.

The City of Bryan has partnered with Lero & Associates, Inc. to acquire property, utilities and entitlements, and plan the development in order to secure a master developer to assist in creating a high-density, mixed-use community. To visualize the redevelopment, the city has partnered with OMNIPLAN, a highly qualified architecture firm.
maroon barchetta
Technically they would be knocking it into the park off of their lighted pedestrian overpass, which comes from the new development that will need to buy up many properties that will need to get bulldozed.

Good luck with this project happening in the next 20 years.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was going to ask about property ownership. I know the city has been buying up properties there over the last several years, but not sure how much they or the developer actually own at this point.

Also, A&M recently said they were going to put money into redeveloping Hensel Park. I wonder if that means fixing up the green space or more development.
Captn_Ag05
AG
In looking at Brazos CAD, the city does already own quite a bit of this property. They have acquired more than I thought they had.
australopithecus robustus
Parking.

Supply and demand. Also convenience. Welcome to College Station finally growing up!

Park in the garage if you want free parking. Pay for the convenience of parking closeby. Easy peasy.

It's a free country, based in free market capitalism. No one is making anyone go to Century Square.

*of note

don't go to a metro area and expect anything different for a similar outcome
The Anchor
AG
So tired of the paid parking clogging up the coming and going thread.

[USE THE FLAG FUNCTION AND WE CAN CLEAN UP THREADS MORE EFFICIENTLY . Complaining in a thread this long will not have a quick effect on the thread and if there are too many replies we are are not going to take the time to clean it up. -Staff]
Captn_Ag05
AG
A RV and Boat storage facility is going to be built at 1820 N. Earl Rudder Freeway in Bryan. In total, it will be just over 72,000 square feet and is expected to cost just over $4.2 million to build.
halibut sinclair
The Tipsy Trinket downtown announced that they are closing at the end of the year.
trouble
AG
They are in a weird spot.
rocketscience
AG
Here's the presentation from the Bryan City Council meeting if it hasn't been posted yet.

https://wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/BryCoun091223bcd.pdf
FlyRod
Anyone know what's up with the "dueling farmers markets?"

It looks like a new one is starting at Post Oak Mall on Saturday, 8-12…same time slot as the downtown Bryan one. A lot of the vendors at the downtown one are going to be at POM. Curious what the story is here.
Tailgate88
AG
Link? I believe you just want details.
FlyRod
Check Aggieland Farmers Market Facebook page. Their first market is this Saturday at POM. Page mentions a whole bunch of vendors who are usually at the downtiwn Bryan market.
ChampsAg
I saw that and wondered the same thing.

The Bryan market is supposed to be moving to Legends this fall last that I had heard. This is interesting.
philothea
ChampsAg said:

I saw that and wondered the same thing.

The Bryan market is supposed to be moving to Legends this fall last that I had heard. This is interesting.
The Bryan market isn't moving to Legends, it is moving to Midtown park but what I have been told is it will be closer to the new movie theater/bowling alley development. So you would enter from Villa Maria to Midtown Park and then take a right to the new development and the parking lot to the west of that will be where they are going.

While I don't think this town is big enough for 2 farmers market at the same time, customers will determine which one does better and which one vendors decide to participate. If the vendor has the staff they might be at both.

Maybe people in South College Station not willing to go 'all the way' to downtown Bryan will be willing to go to the POM to get local produce/products. POM was the only location they could find large enough to allow for growth that was available year round. (Might have to move around to a different parking lot at the mall during the Carnival.)

Either way, please support your local farmer! It has been a rough summer and hopefully with this rain planting for fall can get started.
The "cool local factor" clearly is in favor of downtown Bryan. It's fun for us to venture down there from time to time from where we live in CS.

The accessibility to the entire community factor obviously leans greatly to POM as it's right off 6. It will be interesting to see.

In my mind, the brand identity and feel of a farmer's market doesn't really belong in a mall parking lot. Century Square or Northgate would be better. Create an alliance with the food trucks at The Backyard for instance and away you go....

Of course I could see the permitting process with City of CS to do it at Northgate being so draconian that one would throw up their hands and just run to the nearest mall parking lot.......
philothea
Century Square or northgate are not large enough for the farmers market, especially to allow for growth.

When I was in undergrad in California the Saturday morning Farmers market was in the local mall parking lot. It is a place that has lots of room and really doesn't fill up until the afternoon after the market would be over.

I like the downtown Bryan location but they are looking to build out that area which is why the current downtown one will be moving to Midtown park, just no room.

It really depends if you are looking to shop or just hang out. I consider the Local (at the Stella) more of a hang out or social market. I tried to sell there when it first started but no one was buying produce.
maroon barchetta
Use the old Sears service center parking lot. Nothing going on there.
Interesting points. I wonder how big it could actually get.
philothea
australopithecus robustus said:

Interesting points. I wonder how big it could actually get.
Depends. Kind of a chicken/egg situation. Vendors will come if the customers are their to buy. Customers come if there are vendors to buy from. Some vendors, like myself are 'seasonal' you won't see every week. I think there might be up to 70 vendors registered with the Bryan one, they just don't show up every week.

Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Use the old Sears service center parking lot. Nothing going on there.
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/10/food-hall-coming-soon-college-station/

Has this project been scrapped? I don't think I've seen any activity towards renovation, but I think this is still the plan.
Captn_Ag05
AG
it is still happening. There is a mac and cheese place and some taco place that I've seen saying they plan to go there. Not sure when they will start work on the building.
MS08
AG
Papadeaux's and La Madeleine also planned to come here right?
Real estate development financing is difficult right now. I could see a bank becoming very skiddish and even unwilling to loan on a project like this: Off the beaten path location and unique concept. Love the idea, no way as a real estate developer I would choose to do that concept in that location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
TDLR info they submitted says expected completion date of December 2024, so quite a ways off still.
BryanPooch
halibut sinclair said:

The Tipsy Trinket downtown announced that they are closing at the end of the year.
Some successful restaurants were in that space. But Tipsy Trinket was a very stupid name for something that couldn't decide what it was supposed to be. It might have worked in a very high foot traffic setting like Kemah or Galveston. But not where it was.
BryanPooch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.