BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

660,298 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Burlington opened today.
bushytailed
AG
Today was Mad Tacos last day per FB:

" Hi Everyone,

It has been a few months since I have personally sent out a message. Sometimes you can take a 15 minute drive somewhere and once you arrive you have no concept of the trip itself. It has been like that for me lately. I show up for work one day and 3 months later I am surprised with how much time has passed and I have little recollection of meaningful actions while getting there.
Next year will mark 40 years in the industry for me with the last 20 as an owner. Tara, for her part, has battled with me for the last 27; not always side by side in the restaurant, but more often as a victim of my addiction to the work.

Truthfully, 2022 and 2023 have been difficult years. We have been fighting to get through each month. Up to this point we had become used to, and numb to, the demands and effects of the restaurant business. Covid woke us up some. We gained perspective about our lives and what is truly important, and since 2020 have been evaluating how to move forward in life and business. For many years I have told myself, and others, that I want the definition of my life to reflect my relationship with God, being a husband, and being a father. Well, saying it does not make it so, and owning and operating restaurants while trying to live up to that definition has not yielded the outcome I have always hoped for. We did a lot of pivoting during the first two covid years; believe me when I tell you that it is still shaping many lives and that is certainly true for us. As a result, everything is more expensive in our industry (true in many industries I'm sure): food, supplies, rent, interest on loans, and workers. And there is a limit to what one can charge for a taco to support these increases. I won't rehash everything we have done, or attempted to do, to keep things alive while also trying to maintain the life we want, but I hope the gist of the situation has been somewhat conveyed.

So. A chapter in our lives comes to a close. Saturday, November 18, 2023 was/is (depending on when you read this) MAD taco's final day of operation, it is closed permanently (at least with us as the owners). We can no longer fight to keep it less than alive, and life is too short, and experiences with loved ones too precious, to let them slip by as faint memories.

My life as a chef has been fulfilling, even while oftentimes chewing me up and spitting me out. Some of you know me from my Cafe Eccell days from the mid '90's to early 2000's, but many of you know me better from my Madden's and MAD taco days, 2004-present. I have had a love/hate and contradictory relationship with this industry. It has given me much, but has, at minimum, taken an equal portion.
My fondest memories are the relationships forged with the countless people I have had the pleasure to work next to in my kitchens and restaurants. None of what I have accomplished would be possible without them and their efforts, and that is true of the current staff at MAD taco who all have remained to the last day/hour to support us in this. Thank you to all of them as they move on.
And of course, the people I have gotten to know through my food and restaurants have been a blessing. There is simply not enough time to reflect on the impact you have had on my life.

God does work in mysterious ways and no doubt His finger has been at play in our lives for many years. I am grateful to need Him, the way a child is grateful for a parent's hug when hurt or in need of affection. This journey, the good, the bad, and the ugly, has played out exactly as it should. We needed the laughs, tears, fears, pain, relationships, and experiences to provide the tools, perspective, and wisdom for the next phase of our life. Sometimes a big event is needed, good or bad, to provoke change. And while it is scary to take that next step, we will take it nonetheless.

Covid. What a strange thing it was/is; like a tornado that ravages dozens of homes but "decides" to leave neighboring structures completely untouched…some storms come to destroy and some come to clear a path. Covid did both and it is difficult to formulate a feeling about it. I hate that it took so much from us… but I welcome the new life we are about to embark upon.

I will keep MAD piez open, I have some loose plans, some that involve pizza and some not, that may come to fruition out of that space. First thing I am going to do is enjoy Thanksgiving week with my family.
Stay connected with me on social media to see what the future holds. We will keep the MAD taco social media pages open for a time.

Do have a great Thanksgiving and Holiday season!

Thank you all for the years of support, laughs, tears, and prayers."
maroon barchetta
Wow. I wonder how far in advance the staff knew.
Dustoff00
AG
Horrible news… Really enjoyed that place…
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
Dumbfounded
Current times are brutal for small businesses.
FlyRod
I wish Peter and co. all the best. Was never sure why he sold Madden's when it was doing well. Was never sure why he turned the Bryan Mad Taco into a grilled cheese place. I honestly thought opening Mad Taco in S Cstat was his best business decision to date, so the closing is indeed a surprise. I hope he finds out what he wants to do and makes it work.
Tailgate88
AG
Quote:

And there is a limit to what one can charge for a taco

This is the key takeaway. This has nothing to do with Peter or Mad Taco, a great concept with delicious food, and everything to do with the economy.

Enough said.
phillytex24
I loved Maddens. That place was magical. I couldn't get into those bougie Tacos though. it would be nice if Maddens returned.
maroon barchetta
We pretty much grabbed food to go from there every Tuesday.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Overpriced commercial rent takes down another one.
maroon barchetta
That might be what happened to Which Which on Northgate.

I know some people that are upset about that one closing.
double b
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

. Totally agree. Coupled with inflation and rising employee costs, sustaining healthy profit margins is really tough in this environment.
Rduck
Being closed Sunday and Monday didn't help either IMO.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

I have a client with a burgeoning niche catering type business. They started in their house doing it as a side hustle. But it's really taking off and are still working out of it.

It's become very clear to them as they've grown that they just need more space/commercial kitchen. They can swing $1500 a month in rent but finding places that fit their requirements is tough. It's hard with pushing the affordable/on budget reconsiderations to try and find something.
happyinBCS
yes commercial lease space is crazy here.

The new strip center they are building on university east of 6 over by park Hudson 1500 sq ft 5,000 a month 2000 sq ft 6600 a month and they are NNN leases, so you are responsible for all HVAC etc

No way a small upstart business can afford that.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Rduck said:

Being closed Sunday and Monday didn't help either IMO.
And the early closing time they had for a while. Also, I think they got my order significantly wrong the last three times I went through the drivethrough.

My wife and I used to go there almost weekly for tacos and margaritas.
FlyRod
Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

This is the key takeaway. This has nothing to do with Peter or Mad Taco, a great concept with delicious food, and everything to do with the economy.

Enough said.

We're they pricier than Torchy's? Torchy's ain't cheap and that place is insane busy all the time.
b0ridi
FlyRod said:

Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

Enough said.

We're they pricier than Torchy's? Torchy's ain't cheap and that place is insane busy all the time.
Much better location than the Jane Street Mad Taco location. And that was before the Texas Ave medians went in. Also, I think Torchy's has more variety and some interesting novelty tacos.
maroon barchetta
Torchy's is awful.
australopithecus robustus
maroon barchetta said:

Torchy's is awful.
Yeah but what a monster concept they've built from humble food truck beginnings.
Collectonian
Was sad to see the announcement this morning - loved Mad Tacos, they had some great food, but I fully admit, I barely went once the Bryan location closed.

Just generally don't get the urge to drive to south CS for food that often - too many other choices nearer to Bryan that don't require a 15-20 minute drive to get there. Which I totally recognize is not "that" far, but that's why I don't live in places like Houston LOL
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
Broncos
World of Beer posted that they are closing the College Station location.
maroon barchetta
Northpoint doesn't have a good track record for the retail spots.
JMac03
AG
Broncos said:

I always felt like this wasn't a great location except for the people who lived in those apartments.
Broncos
JMac03 said:

Broncos said:

I always felt like this wasn't a great location except for the people who lived in those apartments.
Sounds like Northpoint didn't want to renew the lease. Seems like a smart business decision as that's been the only business to produce there.
Geralt of Rivia
S
JMac03 said:

Broncos said:

I always wanted to go there, but I avoid going to the University/Texas intersection if at all possible
maroon barchetta
JMac03 said:

Broncos said:

We have seen this before. That development at Holleman and Dartmouth had the same problem. Nothing survives there.

Multiple businesses have failed on the retail level at Northpoint. Same for the Aspire.

Yet every time a new high rise with retail planned for the bottom floor gets proposed and linked here, we hear ALL about how this is a win-win that is getting knocked out of the park.

Every time.
BiochemAg97
AG
maroon barchetta said:

JMac03 said:

Broncos said:

We have seen this before. That development at Holleman and Dartmouth had the same problem. Nothing survives there.

Multiple businesses have failed on the retail level at Northpoint. Same for the Aspire.

Yet every time a new high rise with retail planned for the bottom floor gets proposed and linked here, we here ALL about how this is a win-win that is getting knocked out of the park.

Every time.

I think it depends a lot on the location of the high rise. Northpoint is too far east. Too many options at Northgate and Century Square for the campus crowd to go all the way to Northpoint.

Other locations close to/in Northgate area should work better. But you are also going to need something that is different from all the other established Northgate options.
halibut sinclair
Dat Dog disagrees with you.
FlyRod
Surprised about World of Beer. Always seemed busy...a real shame.
TyHolden
AG
Broncos said:

Great place but too far from the bypass….

Until uhaul leaves, that corner is cursed.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty posted that it wasn't a business issue - business was apparently good. It was a lease issue with the owner. Not sure.
The Brazos Kid
Apparently per Rusty, yet another one is about to bite the dust.
JMac03
AG
WOB - I cannot imagine the leasing company not wanting to renew with ALLLL that vacant space. Why give up $$$. I'm not saying it wasn't, but why not get some money instead of no money?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
JMac03 said:

WOB - I cannot imagine the leasing company not wanting to renew with ALLLL that vacant space. Why give up $$$. I'm not saying it wasn't, but why not get some money instead of no money?

They could have another business wanting that location, and willing to pay a higher lease price.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.