BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

659,654 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Sofi said:

Coworker stated IHOP on University is closing down soon.
Has anyone heard of this?

Did you know that this IHOP **was** the oldest continually-operated restaurant in CS?

fixed that for you
AggieCVQ
Wonder what they're gonna do with that space.
JMac03
AG
Gas station at Fitch and 6.

Daniel's Mexican Food
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
JMac03 said:

Gas station at Fitch and 6.

Daniel's Mexican Food

It's been like that for idk how long. But longer than 6 months.
JMac03
AG
LOL. Shows how often I go to that gas station.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The new St. Mary's is having their dedication mass this weekend.

They've created a booklet with information about the new church, which was pretty interesting: https://www.flipsnack.com/9AFCA6CC5A8/st-mary-s-tour-guide.html

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/25/st-marys-host-inaugural-mass-new-church/
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The new St. Mary's is having their dedication mass this weekend.

They've created a booklet with information about the new church, which was pretty interesting: https://www.flipsnack.com/9AFCA6CC5A8/st-mary-s-tour-guide.html

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/25/st-marys-host-inaugural-mass-new-church/
Sweet - I'll catch this before the recruiting pool party
Captn_Ag05
AG
Not a new business, but didn't think this deserved it's own thread. A new light is planned at University and Veterans Parkway. With the traffic for events like the 7 on 7 tournament and additional development coming to that intersection (TXB, Starbucks), this new light should help.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/26/new-traffic-signal-slated-university-drive-college-station/
Captn_Ag05
AG
TDLR info submitted for the Salad and Go that is going in at Texas and Elm in Bryan. Expected completion date of May 2024.
MiMi
S
Wonderland Indoor Playground opened today.
jja79
AG
The Salad and Go people have a new concept in Arizona. Drive through that serves only lobster rolls for $8.50 and $9.99 for lobster roll, fries and drink. Their beverages, including iced tea and flavored iced coffees, are 79 cents.

I am not a fan of Salad and Go.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It will be interesting to see how the lobster roll business plays out for them. Salad and Go has been a huge success and grown like crazy.
AggiePhil
AG
jja79 said:

The Salad and Go people have a new concept in Arizona. Drive through that serves only lobster rolls for $8.50 and $9.99 for lobster roll, fries and drink. Their beverages, including iced tea and flavored iced coffees, are 79 cents.
I'd be all over that.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Quote:

More than 75 small businesses are coming together in one shop.

It's called LoveDowtownLocal, and it's opening Aug. 2 in downtown Bryan.

The shop will have a variety of items from pottery to clothing and skincare.
------

The shop is located at 315 South Main Street in downtown Bryan.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/27/new-downtown-bryan-shop-bringing-together-small-businesses/
soccerboi710
Sofi said:

Coworker stated IHOP on University is closing down soon.
Has anyone heard of this?
Yep, this page says the IHOP space is up for grabs:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/300-315-S-College-Ave-College-Station-TX/16636339/

Looks like they're going to redo that whole area eventually.
trouble
AG
I wish there was a full list of shops available
jja79
AG
Don't know if they plan to expand that concept but apparently they have family in the business in Maine so they get them DHL every day.

It will be interesting to see how Salad and Go does since it's all take away.
trouble
AG
Revolution has a new TABC notice of application posted!
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

------

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/27/new-downtown-bryan-shop-bringing-together-small-businesses/

So, a mall?
Broncos
maroon barchetta said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

------

So, a mall?

Or every other boutique?
trouble
AG
I think it will be closer to like an antique shop that has individual booths
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Ah, ok.

More like the Giant Indoor Shopping Place on the Disney cartoon "Dave The Barbarian".
techno-ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

trouble said:

Ah, ok.

More like the Giant Indoor Shopping Place on the Disney cartoon "Dave The Barbarian".
Or Corner of Time.
phillytex24
Salad & Go will crush it here. We're desperately in need of something like it. Souper Salad was the best, with Jason's far behind it. I'll go every day practically through the week!
australopithecus robustus
phillytex24 said:

Salad & Go will crush it here. We're desperately in need of something like it. Souper Salad was the best, with Jason's far behind it. I'll go every day practically through the week!

This x10. They kill everywhere they're going. It's the business model more than the actual product.

Many on this forum have commented negatively against it but that seemingly has been more emotional than logical.

Emotional compromise and nostalgia aside, the salad and go model will be vastly more successful than kettle ever was. One week sales at salad and go will likely exceed a month at the kettle.
maroon barchetta
australopithecus robustus said:

phillytex24 said:

This x10. They kill everywhere they're going. It's the business model more than the actual product.

Many on this forum have commented negatively against it but that seemingly has been more emotional than logical.

Emotional compromise and nostalgia aside, the salad and go model will be vastly more successful than kettle ever was. One week sales at salad and go will likely exceed a month at the kettle.

I can't wait for all the u-turns from northbound Texas at SW Parkway to get to this new salad shop.
australopithecus robustus
U turns are now a part of our traffic function throughout town, much like many cities before us who are now desensitized by them.

So, with u turns not being exclusive to one property, I think they will be fine.
TyHolden
AG
SIAP...

techno-ag
AG
TyHolden said:

SIAP...

Awesome. Bryan is doing great work.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Midtown is filling up. I'm anxious to see if the hotel with a connected small water park that I heard was destined for Midtown is true or just a rumor.
UhOhNoAgTag
techno-ag said:

TyHolden said:

SIAP...

Paging Bob Yancy.
TyHolden
AG
techno-ag said:

TyHolden said:

SIAP...

Now get basketball or baseball. They both need to be rebuilt.
JMac03
AG
The fields? Or the teams? What's wrong with Olsen?
jja79
AG
Those that have been to them all, I haven't, say it's the worst in the SEC West.
Roxie146
I want to see what the financing is. Who is paying for it - who will benefit - how will the taxpayers in Bryan benefit.

Is this another boondoggle where TAMU gets all the benefit but the community pays for it?

TAMU has a responsibility to the community - Bryan, College Station, and Brazos County. The idea of "if you build it they will come" does not answer the question of who pays for the build and the infrastructure required behind all that building. - Water, Sewer, Streets, Emergency Response…………Policing, Fire …..

TAMU Golf is an example - sort of - lovely course, TAMU Golf - Traditions' homes are beautiful….. but I don't live there - and most of the Bryan citizens don't live there - so who truly benefits from their (TAMU's) presence.

It is great for the school but is it great for the city?

If there is a case for a symbiotic relationship between city and school - then I'm all for it - but if TAMU is the parasite -ie gets all the benefit - then no.

Why should the citizens of Bryan underwrite a sports need for TAMU? (yes I know College Station helped in the Kyle Field build - hows that working out? - Hotel taxes being diverted to serve TAMU)

If it is such a great idea let a commercial builder do it. They will do it cheaper, pay taxes on the property and income taxes and control payroll. I am not in support for additional city employees manning a Tennis complex.

May I remind all that TAMU has $1B in resources - while my property taxes are sky high - once again Bryan is building a non taxable property - ie it is city owned - off the tax roles -

A great idea in principle - but not when you show the money flow - Let's see the money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.