*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,573 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Question 1: Does anyone even really like Avatar? Made tons of money, but I only saw it once and did not enjoy it at all. Thought it completely forgettable. My best friend and I still joke about UNOBTAINIUM.

Question 2: WTF does a sequel of Avatar need to be made? I don't hear America clamoring for a continuation of that story. Hell, I think most people have forgotten about that movie.

May be in the minority here, but flame away.

1. I loved Avatar
2. The rest of the world thinks much more highly of it than America. It'll make over a billion internationally easy.
Hippies.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Question 2: WTF does a sequel of Avatar need to be made? I don't hear America clamoring for a continuation of that story. Hell, I think most people have forgotten about that movie.
$2.7b of worldwide box office revenue.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Avatar will definitely move to the summer. Originally, way back when, it was supposed to be a Memorial Day release anyway, but got pushed. So now that Star Wars is seemingly claiming Christmas for eternity, I can see Avatar pushing again and claiming Memorial Day weekend of '18, '19 and '20.
A2 hasn't even started filming yet and A1 took 2.5 years of just post-production work. No way in hell it's complete by Dec 2017.
That's why I said Memorial Day Weekend '18. Though, it IS scheduled to start filming relatively soon. In the next three to six months, for sure.
TheDoctor
AG
Money talks and future Avatar sequels were being mentioned right after it was released. I know it'll make a lot of cash, and that's the nature of the business, but I guess I don't see it being the "event" that the first one was.

It'll have its audience and may be a pretty good bit of film making, and that's great. I just won't be seeing it.
AggieSouth06
quote:
quote:
quote:
Question 1: Does anyone even really like Avatar? Made tons of money, but I only saw it once and did not enjoy it at all. Thought it completely forgettable. My best friend and I still joke about UNOBTAINIUM.

May be in the minority here, but flame away.

1. I loved Avatar
2. The rest of the world thinks much more highly of it than America. It'll make over a billion internationally easy.
Hippies.

I lean pretty far left on environmental issues and I thought Avatar was patently awful.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
quote:
Making my way through this thread. Had to post this from page 70 from Telco. When discussing the faults in ANH. Never realized this and it had me rolling. My childhood is a lie!

quote:
A PLANET DESTROYING MACHINE WAS DESTROYED BECAUSE OF A PLANET IN IT'S WAY.

Never referenced in the film that I can recall, but you could make the case that it needed time to recharge, and it was quicker to go around the planet in the way.
Destroying a planet would have catastrophic impact on its moon.
redline248
AG
Why weren't the rebels, or the resistance, busy evacuating most of their personnel and equipment while their bases were under threat of complete destruction?
jackie childs
quote:
Why weren't the rebels, or the resistance, busy evacuating most of their personnel and equipment while their bases were under threat of complete destruction?
because they'd already seen episode IV
redline248
AG
Part of my question deals with episode 4
jackie childs
quote:
Part of my question deals with episode 4
ah, missed that part...and it's not like watching A New Hope: The Movie would help because they'd reach "now"...

The Collective
AG
quote:
Destroying a planet would have catastrophic impact on its moon.

joemeister
AG
Isn't Yavin supposed to be a gas giant? Would a death beam blast designed to destroy a solid planet destroy a gas giant?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Isn't Yavin supposed to be a gas giant? Would a death beam blast designed to destroy a solid planet destroy a gas giant?

If not, it goes straight through.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Gas planets still have a core
jeffk
AG
quote:
Gas planets still have a core

Yeah, a chewy candy core.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
then all they would need is a big lighter

or one of these:
Chipotlemonger
AG
If it can go straight though, why not shoot through it to the rebel base?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
If it can go straight though, why not shoot through it to the rebel base?

Exactly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Found this a fun read. I admit I have no knowledge of anything from the canon or expanded universe, so I'm a complete noob.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-who-is-snoke-theory-tarkin/4/

Just throwing out wild possibilities.
http://www.therebel.media/the_identity_of_supreme_leader_snoke_revealed_he_s_gozer_the_destroyer_from_ghost_busters

Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Found this a fun read. I admit I have no knowledge of anything from the canon or expanded universe, so I'm a complete noob.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-who-is-snoke-theory-tarkin/4/

Just throwing out wild possibilities.
http://www.therebel.media/the_identity_of_supreme_leader_snoke_revealed_he_s_gozer_the_destroyer_from_ghost_busters

Darth Clortho
M.C. Swag
AG
http://www.slashfilm.com/avatar-2-delayed-again-wont-meet-christmas-2017-window/
Texas Yarddog
AG
I have been through a lot of this thread, but not all so I apologize in advance if this is a rehash.

Loved the movie, but had a problem with one thing.

The map given to Poe shows the end point of the travel of Luke Skywalker. Why did they need the entire star map (provided by R2) to find the location if they already had a map of the known galaxy? It seems that they could have run an analysis on that piece and line it up with known stars and systems. In fact, it would have been better if they were running the analysis (since R2 seems out of commission) but he wakes up and saves them the time. It would have felt better overall instead of R2 being a deus ex machina to suddenly have the answer. He just saves them the time it would take to line it up.

I could see that you wouldn't be able to use the larger map with the whole cut out (since it was about 1/10th of a galaxy in size and contained the terminal point), but not the other way around.

Anyway, sorry if this has already been brought up
Ag Since 83
AG
So here's one possible explanation that is going to be heavy on information that isn't necessarily canon:

One of the dangers of traveling the galaxy is of course, as Han says in IV, charting courses through hyperspace, so that you don't fly through a star, bounce too close to a supernova, etc. If we assume the endpoint in the Unknown Regions (which I believe has been said), then that area is particularly not well mapped out when it comes to hyperspace lanes, and they might not have been able to identify the segment BB-8 has anyway. So you need the beginning of the map to just know how to get to the last piece. The map in its entirety is a safe route through the Unknown Regions, theoretically.

Or, the more likely explanation, "it is this way because it is this way. Just sit back and enjoy it" All Star Wars movies have those moments.

Dr. Teeth
AG
Had a thought today. After Kylo Ren kills Han Solo and takes off after Finn and Rey, I don't think he picked up his helmet. He didn't have it during the lightsaber duel.

He certainly made it off the base, because plot armor, but even if the helmet didn't fall into the chasm as the planet was dismantling itself, I don't think he wouldn't have had time to go back and retrieve it. Kylo might have a completely new look for episode 8. I can see him wanting to look more like Vader.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Helmet and saber. Both will be new imo.
512Ag
AG
I assume we will fast-forward in time (months? A year?) to the point where Kylo Ren is fully trained & more in control of himself. New saber, new helmet, even darker villain. Particularly because he got embarrassed by Rey at the end of TFA.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
His saber will have FOUR LIGHTS
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
http://www.slashfilm.com/avatar-2-delayed-again-wont-meet-christmas-2017-window/

"Delayed"
TexasAggies06
AG
quote:
quote:
His saber will have FOUR LIGHTS
MSCAg
AG
quote:
Making my way through this thread. Had to post this from page 70 from Telco. When discussing the faults in ANH. Never realized this and it had me rolling. My childhood is a lie!

quote:
A PLANET DESTROYING MACHINE WAS DESTROYED BECAUSE OF A PLANET IN IT'S WAY.

Technically it was gas giant.

I think nerd understanding is

A) the original Death Star took 24 hours to recharge its bigAss laser. Therefore, the Rebels would have had plenty of time to escape.

B) Its unclear if the laser would have destroyed the gas giant, versus going through it.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Yeah, but blowing up a planet would directly impact its moon. (I would think. I am not an astrophysicist.)
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
So here's one possible explanation that is going to be heavy on information that isn't necessarily canon:

One of the dangers of traveling the galaxy is of course, as Han says in IV, charting courses through hyperspace, so that you don't fly through a star, bounce too close to a supernova, etc. If we assume the endpoint in the Unknown Regions (which I believe has been said), then that area is particularly not well mapped out when it comes to hyperspace lanes, and they might not have been able to identify the segment BB-8 has anyway. So you need the beginning of the map to just know how to get to the last piece. The map in its entirety is a safe route through the Unknown Regions, theoretically.

Or, the more likely explanation, "it is this way because it is this way. Just sit back and enjoy it" All Star Wars movies have those moments.

This is what I simply assumed. If you then take some EU into account, R2 downloaded the Imperial records in the Thrawn duology which had a complete map of the unknown regions.
Texas Yarddog
AG
The Thrawn trilogy is no longer canon.

One of my favorite EU series.
Ag Since 83
AG
In one of JJ's interviews since the movie release, he said R2 got the map off the Imperial archives when he hacked into the Death Star computer in Episode IV. At first, I thought that was hokey and retconning for the sake of convenience, but I was watching Star Wars Uncut the other day, and sure enough Obi-Wan does say "he should be able to access the entire Imperial network"
Belton Ag
AG
I guess Vader and Palpatine were mapping out all of the ancient Jedi temples. I'm kind of curious if it will be revealed why they were doing that, other than simply to be the Star Wars version of ISIS and destroy the temples.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.