*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,737 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My second showing will fill in some gaps.

R2 thing seems overly complicated and gimmicky. Why not have C3PO say "he hibernates for 3 days, then wakes up at noon for one minute. It's like he's looking for something. I miss my friend".

Boom, that's easy.
Jim01
AG
Is there a reason JJ and Kasden aren't doing the next one? They got something better to do? Come on guys you nailed it. I want you to keep it up. At the least you better give very specific orders to the next guy
fig96
AG
quote:
Is there an answer to how the hell the Falcon ended up on Jakku? Is that in any of the new comics?
Rey mentioned that the guy who stole it from Han had it stolen from him who had it stolen from him, or something to that effect, have only read a few of the comics so don't know what's covered there.

I'm assuming Jakku is another Tatooine like planet, spaceport with lots of scum and villainy in and out.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Is there an answer to how the hell the Falcon ended up on Jakku? Is that in any of the new comics?
Didn't they answer that when standing on the Falcon? Rey said that barter got it, who got it from so and so, who got it from so and so, who stole it from Han?
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:

• What was the Battle of Jakku over?

Some spoilers from other media (Battlefront and the book Lost Stars):

About a year after Endor, the Alliance laid siege to Jakku because it was the home of an Imperial weapons facility (I think that's what Battlefront says). During the space battle, Rebel commandos try to infiltrate and steal a Star Destroyer, and the Imperial captain crashes it into the planet rather than let it be stolen.

End spoiler from other media
Really???
quote:
It's addressed either in one of the comics or one of the books. Just a long chain of owners after Han initially lost it. (Not sure if that initial loss is explained or not)
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Just purchased ticket for viewing #2. Tomorrow at 8 pm, RPX.
This afternoon at 320.

With the girlfriend tomorrow evening
You're testing rule 1 with this many girlfriend comments
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Yes, it was stolen from Han by some guy on Jakku, then stolen another three times IIRC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Didn't they answer that when standing on the Falcon? Rey said that barter got it, who got it from so and so, who got it from so and so, who stole it from Han?
Yeah but it ending up on that planet specifically just seems like an awfully huge coincidence.
vwbug
Episode 8 wishes/questions
- Would love to see General Leia show some jedi skills - that would be awesome
- Is Snoke normal height in real life or as tall as the hologram?
- Still think Rey is a Solo
Quinn
AG
Well, it had to show up in the movie somehow.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I just remembered one of the funniest parts... So Finn's job at base was "sanitation".... LOVED the part when Han was like "got any garbage chutes"... Boyega's grin was priceless... he was all, "oh yeah!".
I don't quite understand how you go from being in sanitation to being in Ren's personal battalion/assualt force on Jakku
Yeah, don't overthink it.... but if you must... it's very common for soldiers to have a job when on base. Think about sailors pealing potatoes. Stuff's gotta get done. And then when the action goes down they load up on the transports and off they go. Simple.
jr15aggie
AG
The silent Lucasfilm logo and "a long time ago" didn't do it for me. I would have preferred some intro music with the Disney logo up front. We all knew it would be different with Fox gone... I just figured they would make their mark with a new intro that would be as classic as the original. Guess not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same. It just wasn't the same without the Fox fanfare.
jr15aggie
AG
But I got over it real quick!
redd38
AG
Did everyone stay after the credits to see the scene of General Leia trying on the gold bikini?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Yeah but it ending up on that planet specifically just seems like an awfully huge coincidence.
LOL dude, that's like this franchise's stock and trade. "It's a small world after all."
MandoArms
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unless Solo took Rey there when Kylo was sent off to the training academy with Luke. I got the messy divorce with two children involved vibe from Han and Leia.
Really???
I'm not understanding what the coincidence is with the Falcon being on Jakku.
DanHo2010
AG
Saw it last night and had a great time. Some thoughts:

• I think the title ended up being very telling re: the themes of the movie. For example, there's a really big theme of awakenings. Rey wakes up to her Force powers, Finn wakes up to the evil of the First Order, R2 literally wakes up, etc.
  • The Force itself was a bigger character than it's been in earlier installments. If Empire Strikes Back is about the Empire, Revenge of the Sith is about the Sith, etc, then The Force Awakens is about the Force. While you could take the title to mean that the Force has awakened within Rey, you could also say it was acting on its own for the first time in a while. Many of the coincidences in the movie are attributable to the Force acting to set pieces in motion.
  • The idea of programming or being programmed is a big one too. They talk about how Finn had been programmed to kill for the FO (which he woke up from), and Snoke is doing the same with Kylo. I'm guessing R2 had been programmed to not wake up until some condition had been met, whether it was proximity to the USB drive BB-8 had or when Rey showed up.
  • What this makes me think is, Rey has been programmed somehow to forget parts of her past, and she's going to 'awaken' and remember it. Examples: the vision of the island Luke was on, the glimpses of her family. It may already be happening if she had some training in how to use her Force powers.

Also, I LOVED that someone pointed out that the first line of the movie basically states the film's purpose, to make things right between the fans and the series. Really meta and definitely something JJ would do on purpose. If you want to get super meta (and I'm going to lose a lot of you with this), you could take the theme of programming and say we're the ones waking up from the bad programming (prequels) and remembering the power the Force really has. </liberal arts>
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just purchased ticket for viewing #2. Tomorrow at 8 pm, RPX.
This afternoon at 320.

With the girlfriend tomorrow evening
You're testing rule 1 with this many girlfriend comments

Don't you people ever say I don't deliver. I'll leave it up for a few minutes.

Silvertaps
AG
Just left the theater. My first thought?
His 30 seconds of screen time explains why no Luke in the trailers.
Reminded me of an Aggie OC...Easy money!
fig96
AG
Mad props. I know that soccer folks can be trusted.
TheDraw
AG
I do have a question. Fin used the lightsaber. I thought only those with the force can wield one. No?
fig96
AG
quote:
I do have a question. Fin used the lightsaber. I thought only those with the force can wield one. No?
My wife asked this same question and I didn't have a good answer.

My understanding has been that you have to be a Force user to build one (as shown in Clone Wars), but any person could use one. A Force user would have more control and other abilities with one, however.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Nope. Its just another weapon. Just stay away from the pointy entire shaft
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Han used it in Empire to open up the TaunTaun
Brahma
We still didn't get an explanation on who the Knights of ren are/were. I'm guessing snoke has something to do with that although if I remember from the movie someone says Kylo was the master of them or something.
Silvertaps
AG
quote:

Han used Luke's to open up tauntaun.
Also, Luke wanted Han to reach for his light saber to free them from the ewok trap in RotJ...before R2 cut the rope.
wangus12
AG
quote:
We still didn't get an explanation on who the Knights of ren are/were. I'm guessing snoke has something to do with that although if I remember from the movie someone says Kylo was the master of them or something.
When they had the flashback with all the bodies, I assumed he may have turned some of his friends at Luke's academy
fig96
AG
quote:
Related, I was also a little disappointed at Phasma's screen time and usage. Seemed a little weak just to have her open the shield, I would've thought as an officer she'd have held out a bit more.
Brahma
Yeah but then where did his buddies go? What happened after they killed all those people?

I feel almost like I have more questions than answers after this movie which is A OK with me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn it. I missed it.
redd38
AG
quote:
It depends how the lightsaber was created. If the lightsaber has an external button to activate it then anyone can press the button and use the saber. However, if the button is internal and requires using the force to push it then only a jedi could use the saber.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
When they had the flashback with all the bodies, I assumed he may have turned some of his friends at Luke's academy
Correct... we don't know much about them, but I was led to believe they were part of Luke's academy and turned against Luke. Afterall, I doubt Kylo could have done much damage by himself. And yes, Snoke definitely said something to the effect that he was the leader of the Ren Knights.

Kind of like how Empire answered lots of Luke's questions about where he came from and how it happened, I bet Ep VIII will detail a lot about what happened to Luke/Rey and why everybody is where they are... motivations will be revealed. But keep in mind there was more revealed in ROTJ too, so we have 2 more movies to paint the entire picture. My popcorn is ready!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.