*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,086 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Donald Glover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I just listened to the music that was playing while Palpatine is telling Anikan about Plagueis and when Snoke is revealed, and wow they are extremely similar, not exactly the same, but close enough to where it seems they did that on purpose
Donald Glover
AG
Also, what's the song called on the soundtrack when Luke is standing on Tattoine looking at the two suns
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Putting a strong female hero front and center isn't being overly pc, imo. There is a real gender gap in the Star Wars canon. Nothing wrong with trying to keep about half of the heroes female.

The Star Wars fanbase, in as much as it's part of geekdom at large, is historically very chauvinistic. I hope that this new relaunch continues to be part of the solution to that particular problem. I want my hypothetical daughter to be able to be an enthusiastic fan of the franchise without having to carve out some small part that is "for girls."

Agree. And maybe I'm saying it wrong. The point I meant was that if the social justice Warriors were right...You'd have people upset with the decision to go with a female to continue the story. Either in words or with their money. What we are seeing is exactly the opposite. People don't care and actually embrace it because it works.

Do you think they make Rey go all jungle fever on Finn?
Yes they will

Nah, Finn will be gay.
hunter2012
AG
I only skimmed the last 5 or so pages so this may have been covered but was Rey's vision with the lightsaber a use of Psychometry, or using the force to read the history surrounding objects? If she has the ability it makes sense she couldn't use it untrained until she runs into Anakin's lightsaber, an object that has absorbed a ridiculous amount of the force(see force trees). The ability may explain the Jedi mind trick or the lightsaber skills.

Also the earlier post about battle meditation could also be an ability.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Also, what's the song called on the soundtrack when Luke is standing on Tattoine looking at the two suns
Binary Sunset
evan_aggie
AG
Did I miss an inside joke? I've never seen so many people use the word canon before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SwigAg11
AG
I could easily see Snoke being Plagueis with Palpatine only thinking that he had killed his master.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I only skimmed the last 5 or so pages so this may have been covered but was Rey's vision with the lightsaber a use of Psychometry, or using the force to read the history surrounding objects? If she has the ability it makes sense she couldn't use it untrained until she runs into Anakin's lightsaber, an object that has absorbed a ridiculous amount of the force(see force trees). The ability may explain the Jedi mind trick or the lightsaber skills.

I'd say that there is a good chance that this is something they are adding into canon now. I'm hard pressed to think of special abilities that Force users had (other than that quick movement thing that was used one time) other than the gift of foresight. For instance, I don't remember Kylo's ability to pull information from a person's mind being in canon until now either. I know the Jedi Mind Trick has been used, but that's based on suggestion instead of force.
The Collective
AG
quote:
For instance, I don't remember Kylo's ability to pull information from a person's mind being in canon until now either. I know the Jedi Mind Trick has been used, but that's based on suggestion instead of force.

What would you call it when Vader senses Leia's existence and gains that information from Luke's thoughts and feelings?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
For instance, I don't remember Kylo's ability to pull information from a person's mind being in canon until now either. I know the Jedi Mind Trick has been used, but that's based on suggestion instead of force.

What would you call it when Vader senses Leia's existence and gains that information from Luke's thoughts and feelings?
Good point. I stand corrected.
Rule Number 32
AG
quote:
Agree with other points on revealing that Han is Kylo's father early on. It also helps you understand his internal struggle, but confirms in your mind that Han's murder is premeditated. Han poses absolutely zero risk to Kylo when they are face to face, and Kylo slaughters him anyway. Cold. And to be honest, completely turned and not coming back.
I wasn't talking about WHEN they revealed Han to be the father, but HOW they did it. I agree that it gives time to process and understand things, I just wish they had flipped the scenes with him talking to Vader's helmet, then have Han say I saw our son, instead of just having Snoke say YOUR FATHER HAN SOLO. It just seems lazy.

The two scenes are literally like 3 minutes apart, and it would have just added a couple of minutes of really interesting conflict.
The Collective
AG
Gotcha. I guess that I wasn't that bothered by it personally but can see the other perspective as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think him calling the Vader mask "grandfather" would've made for a great reveal.
The Collective
AG
Poor Han. He thought he was merely wooing a royal flush with lots of cash, but he ended up producing a child (children?) with a chick with a cursed bloodline that would eventually cost him his life. What a suckass deal.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
but he ended up producing a child (children?) with a chick with a cursed bloodline that would eventually cost him his life
This scenario plays out endlessly all day every day in every household across the galaxy.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd say that there is a good chance that this is something they are adding into canon now. I'm hard pressed to think of special abilities that Force users had (other than that quick movement thing that was used one time) other than the gift of foresight. For instance, I don't remember Kylo's ability to pull information from a person's mind being in canon until now either. I know the Jedi Mind Trick has been used, but that's based on suggestion instead of force.
Psychometry is already canon since Vos was in clone wars. Also Vader was able to pull info from Luke about Leia.

The frozen blaster bolt is a new one though.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Good point. I had forgotten that was where he got his tracking skills from.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'm really disappointed that you never played that game.
The cut scenes of KOTOR are better than Attack of the Clones.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Good point. I had forgotten that was where he got his tracking skills from.
you were "hardpressed".
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Psychometry is already canon since Vos was in clone wars. Also Vader was able to pull info from Luke about Leia.

The frozen blaster bolt is a new one though.
the force choke and pull Kylo did on that guy that told him the driod escaped with a girl was excellent!
Philo B 93
JJ Abrams must have been like a mad scientist while writing this movie. He covered everything "Star Wars" while creating a movie could have existed as the original Star Wars: ANH in a parallel dimension. There's a new Han (take your pick of the male leads), a new Princess Leia (Rey), a new Luke (also Rey), a new Darth Vader, a new Emperor, a new Obi Wan (Luke), new Death Star, and even a new freakin' Yoda (Maz), and the same Chewy, R2, and C3PO. A lot of "new" and just the right dash of old. How about the parallel between Obi Wan in ANH with Han Solo in TFA? Get lightsabered by your apprentice / son much?

I like the differences, and I like the similarities to Star Wars: A New Hope. This movie could not have been any better.

Hey, don't laugh but I liked the prequels. I know, it amuses me, too, but now I can't imagine ever watching them again. I've always wanted more than the original trilogy, and I finally got it. I thought I had it before, but I was wrong.

I feel bad for the poster a few pages back whose kid cried after Han bought the farm. I was 7 years old when I first saw Obi Wan get chopped by Darth Vader. That shook me for a while, but I'd only had 2 hours to get attached to him. We've had Han for almost 40 years.

How long until the next one!?

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
17 months....until Episode VIII

but only 12 months until Rogue One - a one off movie set between Episode 3 and 4 with none of the familiar SW roles except vader (that we know of, maybe a cameo?).

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's crazy how close we are already to VIII.

I started the SW thread in January 2014. That was almost 2 full years.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
quote:
quote:
- When Kylo is interrogating Rey, does he put his helmet on top of Vader's ashes?
Oh ****.
This..... Is something I had not considered..... That's dark....

I thought everyone caught that otherwise I would have mentioned it previously.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This might seem like the simplest question ever, but why exactly is the First Order hunting Luke? If he's removed himself from the scene, shouldn't they just make the most of his exile and pile up the power and planets while they've got the major advantage of Force Users in the galaxy? Is there another prophecy involved? Is Snoke determined to not make "Palpatine's mistake" of letting Obi-Wan and Yoda hang around once they went into exile?

Trying to unravel the mystery of Snoke is a tough one, but one thought I had today is that maybe Snoke himself was involved in Luke's Academy; perhaps in his travels across the galaxy Luke & Snoke became aware of each other and Luke recruited Snoke as an instructor - this scenario obviously implying that Snoke was able to keep his true nature hidden.

That type scenario could have led to a fracturing inside the Jedi Academy where Snoke was eventually cast out by Luke, but was able to either take followers with him, or communicate with them somehow, making promises of teaching outside of the Jedi way, thus more power.

The real lynch pin there could be Rey. She's younger than Ben Solo (I'm assuming). Regardless of whom her parents are, if she's found to be a lot more powerful in the Force than he is, you could see Luke starting to focus more on her than him as his primary apprentice, or just have Ben see it that way. Would be a nice call back to TPM, when Qui-Gon obviously wants to train Anakin, to the point of saying, 'Oh yeah, Obi-Wan's totally ready for the trials."

That could spur Ben to reach out to a "master" who favored him/flattered him, and ultimately lead him to betray Luke and the academy. Because betraying your uncle and leading the slaughter of a bunch of other people who were at the very least fellow students if not friends, is a huge deal, just ask Lil Orphan Ani. Maybe Snoke was even part of the slaughter, hoping to take Luke out once and for all, but Luke got himself and Rey away, then wiped her mind (or whatever) and took her to the middle of nowhere to be safe, just as Obi-Wan did for him, knowing that even if he trained her himself, that much Force power in one place would draw attention.

AgMarauder04
AG
In the novelization, Snoke is afraid of Luke, but we really don't know why.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They probably don't want him training any more Jedi. They want assurances that the Jedi are extinct and are never coming back.

And yeah, I could definitely see jealousy of Rey/Luke being the main instigator in Ben's turn to the dark side.
jabberwalkie09
AG
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/harrison-ford-earned-a-lot-of-money-for-being-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

quote:
Sources tell Variety Harrison Ford came away the big winner on Disney and Lucasfilm's sequel with a paycheck in the eight-figure range ($10 million to $20 million) to reprise his role of Han Solo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He also is getting 0.5% of the gross.
quote:
Harrison Ford could make more than $34m for reprising his role as Han Solo in the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Ford's galactic payday is based on a $25m upfront payment placing the 73-year-old star in the very top echelon of Hollywood earners backed up by a 0.5% share of the film's gross earnings, which could be worth another $9m if the film hits $2bn at the global box office.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/21/harrison-ford-star-wars-the-force-awakens-34m-payday

Worth every penny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How much you think Hamill made for his 30 seconds of screen time?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I didn't like how fast Rey was able to master mind control or over power Kylo in the lightsaber battle. It took Luke almost 3 movies and training from Yoda to do what she did.

This. Can't get past this. As soon as I saw that saver fly past Kylo to Rey, I audibly said "oh, please". The whole fight was very eye-rolly.
This is my biggest sticking point. Her ability to mind control a storm trooper immediately, and her ability to outclass Kylo? Nope. I know they showcased her skill wil the staff earlier, but okay.

Ren was so weak. He had a few cool skills like stopping a blaster, a person, etc. and his rages were okay, but it seemed like he could only use part of the force? Maybe that's by design? He's specializes in energy manipulation and mind attacks?

I mean Finn got a couple of strikes on him In a duel? Hrrrmmmmmm.....

Maybe Snoke/Gollum was a red royal guardsman with acolyte force abilities (these sith fanboys were alluded to in the Aftermath book) who the emperor only trained with specific abilities and never honed their light saber skills? Therefor his training and corruption of Ben Solo wouldn't include light saber dueling?

Other things I didn't like:
1. Finn screaming: "that's the best pilot in the galaxy"
2. The storm trooper going one on one with a stun rod versus Finn who is wielding a light saber; and not just shooting Finn down
3. The star killer base shooting up 5 planets and that being visible in daylight from the resistance base which is XXXX light years away?
4. The old China lady alien sensing force adepts? Or knowing much more than she should?
5. General Huxx's lisp
6. Poe saying he'd never flown a TIE before then Immediately giving Finn specific instructions on how to use the weapons systems in the gunners seat - down to the buttons to press for each munition.
7. X-wing starkiller base battle dialogue... Pretty bad
8. Smeagol...errrr... Snoke's character; and Kylo being so ... Weak

I DID LIKE:
1. Hans death - the way it played out
2. Rey meeting Luke
3. Rey and Chewie teaming up
4. Throwbacks to OT: sounds, comlinks, etc. keeping the old technology and...
5. Integrating more modern futuristic tech with the old Star Wars tech - like the map
6. Leaving a lot of mystery to the character and backgrounds of the primary players
7. BB-8, C-3PO, and R2 ... Solid, humorous, not over the top
8. Blood in a Star Wars movie
9. Calling out or making reference to absurdities from the OT or Ep 1-3 ... Like: this thing has to have a a weak point we can blow up... Or "lets just use the Force... That's not how this works"

Some theories I have:
Why Rey can use the force so well so fast: she was trained from Birth by Luke but then dropped off on the planet and "forgot" her powers; also, since she is likely Luke's daughter, that makes Ben her cousin

Snoke is the "leader" but is a force novice .... Which is why Kylo is so weak and can't duel and only seems to have some power but is easily overmatched by Rey

Regardless I need to see this at least 4-5 more times to give a full review!
redline248
AG
quote:
In the novelization, Snoke is afraid of Luke, but we really don't know why.

Well, he defeated the two most powerful Sith Lords since Darth Bane, so...

One thing I don't remember being mentioned yet: Luke's hand. Where did all the prosthetic flesh go?

Ok, two other things: was it made clear how long Luke had been missing? The crawl said in his absence the First Order started gaining power, so that implies at least a few years. I guess considering Rey's age, maybe 10-15 years since Kylo turned on Luke?
jeffk
AG
Just checking in - just got out and really, really liked it. Cast, effects and score were excellent.

Off to read all 44 pages of this thread now.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I feel bad for the poster a few pages back whose kid cried after Han bought the farm. I was 7 years old when I first saw Obi Wan get chopped by Darth Vader. That shook me for a while, but I'd only had 2 hours to get attached to him. We've had Han for almost 40 years.
I'll be honest, I knew it was coming and I teared up a little .... Im 34...

I also teared up a little when Chewie was shot and when Leia and Han saw each other finally... I want to know what drove them apart for real.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.