*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,676 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it was well done overall. On par with the originals.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I thought the score was excellent although it does lack the lasting March like we got from The Empire Strikes Back. I am somewhat irritated that the CD/download does not contain all of the music. Not talking about anything minor, just the music when Rey got the light saber from Ren. But with the exception of the special edition CD releases, none of the Initial SW score releases have been complete. Perhaps they will release a complete score later as they did with the special editions and The Phantom Menace, which was a 2-disk set that came a while after the initial 1-disk release.
wanewman
The track "The Ways Of The Force" is when Rey gets the saber.
Big_Russ
AG
Saw 3D tonight after seeing 2D the first time. I don't think I'll see another Star Wars in the theater in 2D. It was great!
evan_aggie
AG
I thought the 3d version was far better than avatar.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I figured out the magic formula for the success of Star Wars. The music. Watch any Star Wars film without the John Williams score, and you have a whole different experience without the dopamine rush you get from his perfectly orchestrated music. Also, notice how much of the time in Force Awakens that there is barely audible music being played in the background. The movie is almost a music video with the swells at the perfect time like when Rey pulls the light saber from the snow or R2 comes to life.

John Williams has the magic touch which also worked in Indiana Jones and Superman.

I realized that his music was in some bad movies, i.e. Prequels and Indiana Jones 4, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. The music and familiar faces (R2 and 3-peo) were the biggest saving graces of those CGI cartoons.

The "Chosen One" epic Storyline with the mystical force and cloaked evil villains gets a lot of points in movies like this. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, etc., but only Star Wars had the right music at the right time.

John Williams did the musical foundation for Harry Potter for the first three movies (including Hedwig's Theme) with many being very iconic pieces of music.

I get chills with the music he wrote for Harry Potter the same way I get with Star Wars.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
I figured out the magic formula for the success of Star Wars. The music. Watch any Star Wars film without the John Williams score, and you have a whole different experience without the dopamine rush you get from his perfectly orchestrated music. Also, notice how much of the time in Force Awakens that there is barely audible music being played in the background. The movie is almost a music video with the swells at the perfect time like when Rey pulls the light saber from the snow or R2 comes to life.

John Williams has the magic touch which also worked in Indiana Jones and Superman.

I realized that his music was in some bad movies, i.e. Prequels and Indiana Jones 4, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. The music and familiar faces (R2 and 3-peo) were the biggest saving graces of those CGI cartoons.

The "Chosen One" epic Storyline with the mystical force and cloaked evil villains gets a lot of points in movies like this. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, etc., but only Star Wars had the right music at the right time.

John Williams did the musical foundation for Harry Potter for the first three movies (including Hedwig's Theme) with many being very iconic pieces of music.

I get chills with the music he wrote for Harry Potter the same way I get with Star Wars.
Al Bula
AG
Finally saw it last night.

The move was good but not great. That being said, I absolutely do not feel like I need to pick this movie apart. It was fun and entertaining and treated the Star Wars franchise well.

I have no problem suspending disbelief and enjoying some things I saw.

No fancy reviews or overly wordy posts needed.
Philo B 93
I've used some John Williams music as background music on home videos of the kids, animals, etc. It changes everything. In fact any good background music changes a home video. A video of the family at the beach is good, but the same video with Zac Brown's "Toes in the Sand" playing becomes something special you'll show the family for years to come.

The bummer is that nobody, ie Facebook, youtube, will let you post a video with that music.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I've used some John Williams music as background music on home videos of the kids, animals, etc. It changes everything. In fact any good background music changes a home video. A video of the family at the beach is good, but the same video with Zac Brown's "Toes in the Sand" playing becomes something special you'll show the family for years to come.

The bummer is that nobody, ie Facebook, youtube, will let you post a video with that music.
I hate that about Facebook and YouTube. How am I supposed to tell every single person I know how happy my family and I are when they won't let me infringe on copyrights to shove homemade videos down everyone's throats?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

I hate that about Facebook and YouTube. How am I supposed to tell every single person I know how happy my family and I are when they won't let me infringe on copyrights to shove homemade videos down everyone's throats?

I'm fairly certain you can make the video private on YouTube and still send people a direct link. I've done something similar for a family video with music but it was in 2012 and I forget exactly what the process was.

Edit. Hmmm not sure if that's true now. I looked at my YouTube videos and its not there any more. Maybe you can't.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure what I said was bad. I find both series music to be up there as the best in cinema
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure what I said was bad. I find both series music to be up there as the best in cinema
Compared Star Wars to Harry Potter I assume
Mr. White
Zac Brown's name is now on this thread.

Delete thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Harry Potter doesn't have bad music, but it's not in the same stratosphere as Star Wars as far as being memorable and iconic. Can't touch LOTR either.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Harry Potter doesn't have bad music, but it's not in the same stratosphere as Star Wars as far as being memorable and iconic. Can't touch LOTR either.

Disagree. Potters music is so easily recognizable and iconic.
The Collective
AG
LOTR music is amazing. It is just one of those films where you hear the music and see the scene, and it really does feel perfect. It stands out. HP is more subtle, I think. It's there but not as memorable.
AliasMan02
AG
HP music us more whimsical and suspenseful than Star Wars. It's still awesome, but lacks the grand marches and the epic level of the conflict that go so well together.
The Collective
AG
quote:
HP music us more whimsical and suspenseful than Star Wars. It's still awesome, but lacks the grand marches and the epic level of the conflict that go so well together.

This is put nicely. The HP music does fit the tone of the movie well.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've seen all the HP movies, some more than once, and if I heard the music I wouldn't know it was from HP.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I've seen all the HP movies, some more than once, and if I heard the music I wouldn't know it was from HP.
Yep. Reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend regarding the music of HP and he brought up a couple of tracks that I just couldn't remember at all. The only one that remember is the choral arrangement, and I don't even know the name of it.
Farmer1906
AG
Yall started a convo in my office. Here is what we came up with as most recognizable movie music.
Peanuts
MI
Halloween
Batman
Bond
Star Trek
Along with the ones already mentioned.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Yall started a convo in my office. Here is what we came up with as most recognizable movie music.
Peanuts
MI
Halloween
Batman
Bond
Star Trek
How long have you worked at Walmart?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Jaws
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Indiana Jones
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Jaws
Another good one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Both Jaws and Indiana Jones music were more iconic than HP's IMO.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'd put this on par with 90% of the Star Wars music in terms of effectiveness in making a scene far more than it was. And I love the SW soundtracks more than anything else in the music world.

A Window to the Past from POA - The best piece of music for the HP series for me. This is from the scene where Lupin & Harry are on a long bridge and Lupin gives Harry his first real insight into what his parents were like, particularly his mom.

amercer
AG
http://twitter.com/FINK_BOMB/status/686560166565773312/photo/1
MGS
quote:
Peanuts
MI
Halloween
Batman
Bond
Star Trek
Which Star Trek movie?
wangus12
AG
quote:
http://twitter.com/FINK_BOMB/status/686560166565773312/photo/1
I would knock that window out with a baseball bat.
The Collective
AG
quote:
I would knock that window out with a baseball bat.

Yep. That is just inviting vigilante justice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ET
Jaws
Indiana Jones
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Lord of the Rings
The Godfather
Titanic
Back to the Future
Halloween
Psycho
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Listened to it. That's a good track, but not really what we're discussing. As far as recognition and "iconic" status, I'm guessing it's not very high on either list.

Sort of how I feel about TFA's score right now. Granted it's brand new, but I don't really see it becoming an iconic score down the road. But there are some damn good tracks on there such as Rey's Theme and the Resistance March.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And since we're on the subject, here is my favorite piece of music from LOTR. Certainly on par with anything from Star Wars. Quite possibly my favorite film track of all time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.