*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,130 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that complaint seems a little forced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
vwbug

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finally. Been waiting for this one.
OregonAggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I just remembered one of the funniest parts... So Finn's job at base was "sanitation".... LOVED the part when Han was like "got any garbage chutes"... Boyega's grin was priceless... he was all, "oh yeah!".
I don't quite understand how you go from being in sanitation to being in Ren's personal battalion/assualt force on Jakku
Yeah, don't overthink it.... but if you must... it's very common for soldiers to have a job when on base. Think about sailors pealing potatoes. Stuff's gotta get done. And then when the action goes down they load up on the transports and off they go. Simple.

I just took it as Finn simply not wanting to say he was a storm trooper. He was very close to his chest with information from his past throughout the movie and I chalked it up to that.

A sanitation guy probably wouldn't have that much info.
COOL LASER FALCON
I just remembered that one of the early spoiler leaks was a set photo of Adam Driver dressed as an X-Wing pilot. Wonder if that was a total fakeout or if it was scrapped in a rewrite.
Quinn
AG
I would guess a fake out as there isn't a logical way where he would have been in that position.

Edit: wrong emoticon
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
I just remembered that one of the early spoiler leaks was a set photo of Adam Driver dressed as an X-Wing pilot. Wonder if that was a total fakeout or if it was scrapped in a rewrite.
Flashback scene that was cut? He tried to be a pilot but couldn't cut it so Han and Leia sent him off to train with Luke?
vwbug
The collider crew is the best - they are a great show for those who haven't watched them. Great follow on social media too for the world premiere.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
I do have a question. Fin used the lightsaber. I thought only those with the force can wield one. No?
Han used one to disembowel a tauntaun.
Cromagnum
AG
I enjoyed the movie, but felt that Finn is a throwaway character for now. Maybe he has a better role in the next two.

Kylo Ren was pretty cool, but I felt they should not have revealed his face in this movie. He is far more sinister with his mask on, but he looks like a sissified Jon Snow when he takes it off and I could not take him very seriously after that.

I get that Rey is force active, which begs the question of who are her parents? I don't think she should have been able to manhandle Kylo so soon after realizing she has force powers.

I hope we find out how someone found Luke's lightsaber that fell somewhere into Bespin when Vader cut his hand off in ESB. I don't know how it wound up in the chest that was in the bar in this movie.

That being said, there was a ton of energy in the movie theater. Rounds of applause at the opening title and anytime an old character showed up on screen for the first time. Lots of laughter at times. Very enjoyable movie experience.
wangus12
AG
Viewing #2 is in the books. Definitely still think it's an awesome movie. Spent this one looking for the smaller things I might have missed in the ecstasy filled 1st viewing.

One thing. We always talked about Luke giving into the dark side to defeat Vader. Kylo said he could tell that Rey wanted to kill him. He could feel it. So she already has that coupled with just watching Solo get run through by this guy. She doesn't know anything about the force, but after she focused during the fight, she came out with more powerful swings/blows and knocked Kylo back. She may not realize it, but I think she's tapped a little dark side power and that it helped her defeat a foe who, although wounded, still should have bested her.

Also, killing Solo was necessary to complete Kylo's transformation in his mind and Ford wanted the character to go down. This wasn't a bad way to do it, so it wasn't a cop out. It'll be a cop out if Chewie dies in one of the next movies. If the both are gonna die, they should have had them go out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style. Not with a slight wimper.
Ulrich
A few of my thoughts. Overall I give it a 9/10, +/- 1 pending rewatches.

Overview
This movie went back to the well a lot with regards to the plot and the characters, but I think one of the biggest goals here was to re-establish trust with the fanbase. Mission accomplished: that was a damn good Star Wars movie. I expect further ones to have more original plots while still staying true to the look and feel of Star Wars (as this movie did).

The scenes in Maz's watering hole take you right back to Jabba's palace or the cantina. The grime and grit of Star Wars was present as it needed to be.

It was funny like Star Wars, it mixed dark and light and action and idealism and conflict. Good stuff.

Characters
Sydow's character seemed to be too fleshed out not to return. Because of the deadness thing, that tells me flashback. My speculation is that there will be a pretty massive flashback in Ep VIII that takes place on Jakku and covers Rey/Sydow/Luke's background. More on that later.

Rey seemed a little too much like Scarlett Johanssen's character in Lucy to me. I can live with a Force sensitive person picking up reverberations from the mind probes, but the ability to give Force commands and soundly defeat an experienced Force-user who wrecked Luke Skywalker's Jedi academy in combat are too much. Having Force training prior to a brain wipe would mitigate but not resolve this critique.

I think we'll get more of Phasma in Ep VIII or IX, probably a lot more.

Possibly my favorite thing is that we have a bad guy in Kylo Ren who could legitimately go either way. He might go full-on psychotic dark side a la Jorus C'baoth or he might be redeemed, and neither outcome would seem forced at this point. Great job here. This is what Anakin Skywalker should have been.

I did think the superweapon was pretty bad this time around. I know, I know, this is not the least believable thing about a space fantasy with wizards and laser swords, but storing all the energy from a star in a moon-sized object would annihilate it many times over.

Speculation about the next movie:
Ren wasn't strong enough himself to destroy Luke's academy, but he betrayed the location to the First Order. Luke wrecked shop like Thor and Superman put together when the FO showed up, but he was nearly driven insane by the betrayal and destruction of his students and friends... and wife? He brainwiped his half-trained daughter and left her on Jakku with Sydow as a Kenobi-eque guardian. Then he began his self-imposed exile just like the Celtic-Christian Irish monks exiled themselves to remote island monasteries like Skellig Michael (where the final scene was shot). I don't think he's dark, he's just in despair.

Rey's flashback was a little hard to see in 3D from up close, so I may have missed some things that are relevant to that speculation.
AliasMan02
AG
Before I read anything on the thread, just wanted to say it was great and soooo much to take in...
AR_Ag95
AG
On a second viewing, I paid close attention to the hand that grabbed Rey as a child in her force dream...it was the same big chubby hand/fingers as the guy she would barter with.... The present owner of the Falcon..... I wonder who would have dropped her off with him? I can't believe Luke would trust him??
AggieSouth06
Just got out. Can't add much and not going to read 450 posts to catch up, but WOW. What an excellent movie. Can't wait for Ep VIII.

I will say that Han's death wasn't cheap at all. We've clearly seen that family anchors people to the light side, so it was necessary to kill the inner conflict. Plus he went out perfectly. Harrison went all in on this movie, and Han's arc couldn't have been more complete.
PatAg
AG
http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode-thurs-12-17-the-cast-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens

conan cold intro, so good
PatAg
AG
quote:
Before I read anything on the thread, just wanted to say it was great and soooo much to take in...
Yea, I'm gonna need at least two more theatrical viewings.
birdman
Max Von Sydow was definitely intriguing. I'm interested in hearing more of his story. But didn't Kylo kill him?
Cromagnum
AG
When Kylo went off on the control panel and the two storm troopers heard all the commotion and just noped the hell outta the situation...
Flashdiaz
AG
So, is Finn paralyzed? Kylo did slice him in the back
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From wookieepedia:
quote:
Lor San Tekka was an individual who lived on the Western Reaches planet ofJakku approximately 29 years after the Battle of Jakku. San Tekka was a follower of the Church of the Force, an underground faith of loosely affiliated followers ofJedi ideals.
EMY92
AG
quote:
When Kylo went off on the control panel and the two storm troopers heard all the commotion and just noped the hell outta the situation...
That was after Ren escaped and he whacked the restraint chair.
PatAg
AG
Just wanted to say, about the whole Rey picking it up quickly. If you think about it, all these guys heard about rumors of the the jedi could do and the force and whatnot. So her figuring out the force command thing isnt a stretch, and is honestly realistic imo. She also failed twice. And being able to eventually use the lightsaber well, do you not rememeber the scene with Mas (orange alien) saying close your eyes, the force is all around you...that's also a recurring theme in the original trilogy.
Farmer1906
AG
I think the quick pick of powers is more in line with the OT. All the training and being "too old" at 8 is crap from the PT.

Clearly Fin was a badass an likely force sensitive, but he got wrecked. It was only after Kylo got shot and injured by Fin that Rey was able to win. And even then she was losing for the majority of the fight.
Ulrich
quote:
Just wanted to say, about the whole Rey picking it up quickly. If you think about it, all these guys heard about rumors of the the jedi could do and the force and whatnot. So her figuring out the force command thing isnt a stretch, and is honestly realistic imo. She also failed twice. And being able to eventually use the lightsaber well, do you not rememeber the scene with Mas (orange alien) saying close your eyes, the force is all around you...that's also a recurring theme in the original trilogy.
It also took Luke mf'n Skywalker years, including training with Yoda and Obi-Wan, to get to where Rey was with no training at all. She barely even knew the Force existed and she's implanting commands in James Bond? The first time she tries to pick something up with the Force she outmuscles a trained and experienced Force user? Nope.

Madmarttigan
AG
Luke trained with yoda literally for like a couple days at the most and he was able to move things with the force beforehand.

And as I stated before... Ren basically SHOWED her how to do it when she accidentally slipped into his mind by resisting him.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
It also took Luke mf'n Skywalker years, including training with Yoda and Obi-Wan, to get to where Rey was with no training at all. She barely even knew the Force existed and she's implanting commands in James Bond? The first time she tries to pick something up with the Force she outmuscles a trained and experienced Force user? Nope.

Years? He had 1 or 2 training sessions with Obi before he was making impossible shots without a targeting system. Then pre Yoda training he was using the force to grab his light saber.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:

She may have been trained and then mind wiped by Luke. I'm sure more will be revealed next movie.
Ulrich
quote:
quote:
quote:

She may have been trained and then mind wiped by Luke. I'm sure more will be revealed next movie.
There has to be some kind of explanation and it appears that there is, otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
COOL LASER FALCON
As it stands now I think she caught on way too quickly compared to the OT. I am thinking she either trained with Luke as a child or is just extremely powerful.

I think an interesting turn might be to find out that part of the reason Luke shut things down was because he was scared of how powerful she really could be. Or he doesn't want to train her for that reason.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah truthfully until they elaborate more on her background we have absolutely no idea what her power level should be.
Ulrich
Was his first attempt at telekinesis, before he had even seen it done, to rip a lightsaber away from another Force user? Or did he in fact go through an extensive training montage?
Ag Since 83
AG
Would you rather have the new lead win the battle by sheer luck (boy Anakin) or because she was able to pick up Jedi skills really quickly?
Madmarttigan
AG
I was also wondering when Harry Potter and star wars mixed when the whole lightsaber chooses her over Ren....

Does anyone have background on lightsabers being attuned to certain people or choosing people?

Or did she really just over power Ren for it which seems unlikely?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.