*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,064 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
-Kylo killed Han. I don't want him to be redeemed, and I don't think he'll be saved. The skywalker line will end with him. That's how you put a cap on this next trilogy.
Nope. The entire saga is about the Skywalker line. There is no way you end an epic with them not having anything left. Either Ren is redeemed (which I don't think happens) or there is another.

Plus, if Rey is Luke's daughter, it gives me hope that we will have Mara Jade
Hulla Baller
AG
So I was thinking...what if Han isn't really dead? I mean, we don't know where that abyss went.

Bacta is a helluva drug.
Flashdiaz
AG
Perhaps it was a big bouncy area for the troopers kids.

Han is dead. Light saber impalement that has killed multiple Jedi. ... Fell down an abyss... Base blows up
Saxsoon
AG
So it is confirmed that it was Obi Wan in Rey's vision.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/20/ewan-mcgregor-has-a-star-wars-the-force-awakens-cameo?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=4&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=5676df04413eeaad79000005

They used Ewan McGregor for most of the line, but in fact, the "Rey" was spoken by Alec Guiness in the OT. They edited "afraid" to get the sound they needed. They also brought Frank Oz in to record but ended up reusing a line from Empire. Some fascinating stuff behind the thought process in including them in Rey's vision.
Batzarro
AG
I guess I have to be OK with the idea that people clouded by the darkside are in some sort of brainwashed trance. That seen was the only one I didn't care for, the rest of the movie was awesome on so many levels. I don't think things are gonna turn out well for Ren. Rey f--ed him up pretty good. I was hoping she'd finish him off.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I think Kylo recognized Rey, when she escaped on the Starkiller he has a brief conversation with a Stormtrooper and says something about the longer she is free and awake the more powerful she will become....I wonder what he knows. It is almost like he is in denial of who she is.

I think that was more of a general statement he was making after seeing how strong her connection to the force was during the interrogation.

I do think he knows who she is though. I think, based on the visions Rey saw, he saved or spared her life when he turned on Luke and his Jedi academy. She was probably a student. If there is a familial relationship between the two, I don't think he knows it.

It definitely did feel like his tantrum was worse after hearing about their escape from Jakku when he was told a girl was involved in the escape, likely because it's his fault that she's alive.
AliasMan02
AG
A few final things from the novelization about Rey:

When doing his mind probe, Kylo came across a barrier in Rey's mind. It was at that point that something changed in Rey and she was able to penetrate Kylo's mind.

It was this but of mind altering power that led Rey to try doing the same thing to the Stormtrooper.

When Rey Force grabs the lightsaber during the fight with Kylo, he says "It is you!" Later Snoke says to Hux that Kylo's suspicions about her may be correct. So, Kylo does figure out who she is, and she is someone he is familiar with.

Rey's attack on Kylo was fueled by her rage, and assisted by his injury. She has a Dark Side fueled moment, and nearly kills Kylo at the Dark Side's prompting. That's something that will need to be dealt with.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
Why was Rey able to so quickly pick up the force and defeat Kylo?

I think that she was able to tap into the force quickly because, in part, she didn't doubt it like Luke did in the beginning. It took Yoda showing Luke the power, and Ben Kenobi in his ear, for Luke to start gaining confidence. He couldn't do it on his own.

No matter what, the movie showed that Rey's connection to he force is extremely strong, and that she herself is extremely strong willed and confident.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I noticed on second viewing:

When Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and it immediately cuts away, it seems like JJ was making it a point to not show the audience what Han said there. And right after that is when Rey starts hearing the lightsaber calling to her. Like maybe Maz was the one that prompted that.

I bet Han does know who she is, as Kylo seems to. When one of his admirals mentions a girl, his reaction was to immediately force choke him and pull him close to him to ask who he was talking about. Why that reaction?

And then there's Leia embracing her at the end. I don't think it was just a matter of feeling the force in her, but a bigger connection.
TelcoAg
AG
To your last point, she was losing to Ren when she was fighting from a place of revenge and anger. The fight turned when Ren tried to use that to get her to join him, which she turned into a brief moment of meditation to calm herself and use the force. Kinda seems like they did deal with that part of it.

He definitely knows her. It almost felt like he recognized prophecy being fulfilled.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
To your last point, she was losing to Ren when she was fighting from a place of revenge and anger. The fight turned when Ren tried to use that to get her to join him, which she turned into a brief moment of meditation to calm herself and use the force. Kinda seems like they did deal with that part of it.

He definitely knows her. It almost felt like he recognized prophecy being fulfilled.

Definitely agree, but the Dark Side was still telling to kill Kylo as she stood over him. She recoiled from it, though.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
And then there's Leia embracing her at the end. I don't think it was just a matter of feeling the force in her, but a bigger connection.

That scene was so odd. Perhaps it is foreshadowing a relationship, but there wasn't a moment of disbelief and awe first, which I'd expect if it was a "can't believe you're alive OMG it's been 20 YEARS!," hug.

Still pretty upset Chewy didn't get a hug.
TelcoAg
AG
Speaking of possible Kenobi relationship, that scene felt a little like Vader vs. Kenobi. It was that moment of closing the eyes and trusting in the force.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Speaking of possible Kenobi relationship, that scene felt a little like Vader vs. Kenobi. It was that moment of closing the eyes and trusting in the force.

Yep. I thought leading up to that it felt a lot like Luke surprising Vader with his ferocity as he gave into his farker emotions.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In the next one, Chewy needs to get a medal and a hug from Leia.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How great would it be if Chewy looks in one of the closets in the Falcon and finds Han's old medal, and he starts wearing it as a way to honor Han?
Knife_Party
Just saw it. Here are my thoughts.

Took a few minutes for things to get rolling, but once they did it REALLY got rolling.

Loved the relationship that is developing between Poe, Rey, and Finn.

I feel let down. Not because the movie was bad, but because I got a way bigger dopamine rush from anticipating it than from actually seeing it.

This is a really good movie.

A few little things bothered me, but it wasn't the overarching story merely certain camera angles or the acting in a scene.

I'm really curious to see some more background about how Luke ended up in the Orkney's. I'm beginning to think that Rey is his daughter and that he didn't willingly give her up. Perhaps her mother took her away so that Luke wouldn't **** her up like he did Kylo (Ben Solo).
InternetFan02
AG
Speculation: There will be a big plot twist in episode VIII messing with Rey as there was in Empire messing with Luke.

Kylo: "I'm the one who dropped you off at Jakku. Luke abandoned you. Snoke sees the darkness in you and wanted to save you" Evidence: in her vision she saw Kylo coming toward her then immediately cut to being held by the creepy pawn shop guy as her "family" flew away.

Luke/Leia: "We thought you were killed by Kylo, not dropped off at Jakku"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was watching a review on youtube and the guy made a great point. What if that moment we all know from the trailer of Luke putting his hand on R2, what if that was him "powering down" R2? Maybe he programmed him in such a way that he would only power back up at the right time, ie. when Rey was awakened with the force.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I feel let down. Not because the movie was bad, but because I got a way bigger dopamine rush from anticipating it than from actually seeing it.
I actualy felt like this too, a little bit. But I realized it was because of my own crazy level of anticipation and not necessarily anything the movie did wrong.

Honestly, the solid year of discussion and anticipation in the Star Wars thread was just as fun, if not more so, than the movie itself.

I love that we'll be able to have that leading up to Ep VIII. So many things left unanswered.
nikator
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe Chewie blames Leia for turning Kylo into a bad guy. Which caused his best friend to get killed. Maybe Leia had an affair which broke them up. Child from that marriage is Rey.

Or Chewie was in shock or going to get medical attention.

Or my theory. Rey hugging Leia just made for a good Hollywood moment. Probably should have had Chewie grabbed by medics immediately which would clear it all up.

You just saw the first the first one-third of an 8 hour movie. You shouldn't have everything answered with a neat bow on top in first 2 hours.

I thought Chewie was carrying Finn.
No, he had handed him over to the medics before that.
fig96
AG
I mentioned to my wife that maybe she was a Kenobi, interesting connection there with the dialogue in her vision.

As far Kylo, my sense was that he's really not advanced in his training yet. He has no control over his emotions, his lightsaber seems roughly constructed, he's not very refined when using his lightsaber. Freezing the laser blast was pretty badass though.

The lightsaber duel with Kylo and Rey has come up several times in discussion, for me that goes back to what Lucas said about the prequels. They were the first time we got to see Jedi and Sith in their prime who really knew how to use the Force, while what we saw in the original trilogy was old men and half trained Jedi.

This is a similar situation, we don't have combatants with the same level of training that we've seen before, if Rey even had any at all.
Saul Goodman
AG
I agree. I initially had an issue with how well Finn and Rey fought Kylo, but it made a lot more sense when Snoke said something to the effect of "to finish his training". That tells me he is still very green in a lot of ways, and not a battle-hardened warrior. Add in the fact that he was severely injured, and I don't have a problem with it. Rey being that awesome was actually really cool, in my opinion.
tx4guns
AG
Rey is Kylo's sister. The old man at the beginning was her watchman. He was a Jedi sympathizer, hence why Kylo killed him so fast. Fin is Lando's son. I predict Luke will train her, but be lured to the dark side and Kylo will kill Luke to save his sister. Snoke is Darth Plagueis. The lightsaber scar on his head is the clue. He went into hiding after the Emperor "killed" him. Hopefully this all comes out in Episode VIII.
AliasMan02
AG
I seriously doubt that Finn is Lando's kid.
mazag08
AG
quote:
Rey is Kylo's sister. The old man at the beginning was her watchman. He was a Jedi sympathizer, hence why Kylo killed him so fast. Fin is Lando's son. I predict Luke will train her, but be lured to the dark side and Kylo will kill Luke to save his sister. Snoke is Darth Plagueis. The lightsaber scar on his head is the clue. He went into hiding after the Emperor "killed" him. Hopefully this all comes out in Episode VIII.

Having the new bad guy kill the original good guy would be a very hard pill to swallow for die hard fans. But it would be a fun twist.
AgMarauder04
AG
I'd be out and never come back if that happened.
YouBet
AG
Man, I must have missed a lot of her Force vision I guess. It happened so fast I didn't catch a lot of what y'all are referring to. Need to go see it again.
tx4guns
AG
I don't. How many other black people are there in the series that were main characters?

quote:
I seriously doubt that Finn is Lando's kid.
AlaskanAg99
AG
R2 wasn't powered down. C3PO said he was in a low power state. So it is possible some sensor was still awaiting a signal.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I assume Luke sent R2 back with the map knowing he could use the force to tell R2 to turn back on if he ever sensed he needed to come out of exile.

He probably felt Rey's awakening and Solo's death at Ren's hands and realized it was time to be found.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Having the new bad guy kill the original good guy would be a very hard pill to swallow for die hard fans. But it would be a fun twist.

Having the new bad guy end up as the hero of the trilogy would piss me off after he killed Han
TelcoAg
AG
Just thinking about this - If you were Disney, would you want Rey to have blood relations with the main old characters? Gotta think that they'd like to expand this universe more going forward, and keeping everything centered around the Skywalker bloodline wouldn't seem like the right way to go with that. This trilogy would be a good way to cleanly end the story of the Skywalkers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
R2 wasn't powered down. C3PO said he was in a low power state. So it is possible some sensor was still awaiting a signal.
That's what I meant. He's powered down most of the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A cool way to start Ep VIII would be to see R2's journey from being in exile with Luke, to finding his way to the Rebellion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.