*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,759 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
My only real question/concern about continuity:
If the sun was drained of all it's energy and went black, why was it not dark on the planet when they returned from the fight at the end? They were in the same system.

They weren't in the same system I don't think. The fighters had to light speed in and out to battle the weapon. The weapon was going to destroy their system, it wasn't a part of it.
Gomer95
AG
I loved it but man Leia looks rough. A few times Leia looked like an old worn out grandma and when she was hurrying down a few stairs I kept waiting for her to stumble or trip or something. When she talks she always looks like she's fighting to hold her dentures in. But hey it was Princ-General Leia!
The Collective
AG
So, they reference the stormtrooper indoctrination / training program... definitely some brain warping going on there. I expect they will develop that in a movie or at least hope that they do.
The Collective
AG
Like I said in the other thread, some critics will hate the repetition in the saga, but parallelism absolutely belongs in the Star Wars galaxy.
Jim01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I could have done without the spinning shot at the end of Rey and Luke.
Thought the exact same thing, the spinning felt unnecessary. Should've gone for a nice long shot, maybe with the sun setting over the water on the horizon.
It felt like it belonged in a Mission Impossible film. Not that it was poorly done, it just took me out of the moment. They should have just left it at the moment where Luke pulled the hood back, and then Rey held out the lightsaber and cut back to Luke. Just my two cents on that.
One of the few spoiler-ish things I did see going in was Patton Oswalt tweeting that TFA had the best ending shot of any star wars film ever, so I was anticipating it. I agree the spinning wasn't great. I was expecting more of a still frame to end it. Almost like a both hand from each side reaching to hand the lightsabre over, almost a nod to "The Creation"
TajMaballer
AG
I was the only one who laughed when Han said "Outta my way, ball" to BB-8
YellowPot_97
AG
That wasn't Coruscant. Leia or someone else says the name of the system but I don't remember it. JJ would have made it obvious if they were destroying a known major planet.
Jim01
AG
One of the things that added to it all was how fully in the crowd was in my theatre. The applause and laughter and ohhs and ahhs just added to the expierance.

The falcon reveal was great, so was Leia appearing immediately to be trumped by C3PO popping his head in.

Also great when Han died. I mean you could see it coming, even the great little foreshadow of the light of the sun dieing while they talk and then right before he does it the sun completely dies out and BOOM he stabs him. Even when you knew it was about to happen the crowd was just in shock that it actually happened.

Damn work! I want to go see it again now!
YellowPot_97
AG
Didnt they show Maz coming out of the rubble with Han and Chewie?
boy09
AG
quote:
That wasn't Coruscant. Leia or someone else says the name of the system but I don't remember it. JJ would have made it obvious if they were destroying a known major planet.
D'Qar? Something like that.
Rule Number 32
AG
I didn't read this whole thread to see if this had been posted, but it is pretty funny. Daniel Craig had a surprising role in the movie. During this scene, I was seriously sitting there thinking how awesome it would be to be an extra with a line or two in this movie.
EDIT: I see that it was posted on the last page, but I'm leaving it anyway.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/daniel-craig-s-star-wars-the-force-awakens-cameo-role-has-been-revealed-a6777891.html

What a fun, crazy ride. I felt like they went maybe a bit too hard with the one liners and corny jokes, but that is easily forgivable. JJ absolutely NAILED the feeling and character of a star wars movie, and thats what matters. Excited to see it again on Sunday!

jr15aggie
AG
I've searched the internet and I'm not the only one who heard Obi-Wan's voice call out "Rey!" during her force dream. I think that is a clear sign that she has seen and spoken to his force ghost. Not surprised if we never see Kenobi in the new films, but also not shocked if they call in Ewan for some scenes going forward either.

jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm pretty sure he would be willing to do it if asked. One of the anthology film ideas that fans have kicked around is a Kenobi film iirc.
Rule Number 32
AG
For anyone that was as impressed by BB-8 as I was, you should check out this site:

http://www.howbb8works.com/

I still have a hard time believing that thing was real. They did such a wonderful job of making him funny, expressive, and believable in that world.
fig96
AG
After the opening scroll and pan my brother leans over and says, "This is already better than Episodes 1 through 3."

I'm still taking it in from last night, and I can find a nitpick or two with tone here in there, but the simple fact is that from start to end this genuinely felt like a Star Wars film. And that's all we ever really wanted.

I did find it interesting that this really mirrored A New Hope in a lot of ways. The droid lost with critical information, the unlikely hero (two in this case) on an out of the way planet, running into Han who gets them where they need to be, one of our heroes seemingly abandoning the others but coming back to save the day, then a bit of ROTJ with the mission to disable the shields so the weapon could be destroyed. And none of that is a complaint, it was all fresh yet felt familiar.

Rey is a badass, such a great character and I'm really looking forward to learning more, whether it's what we're all assuming or not. Daisy Ridley is going to be a star. Thought Finn was great and as mentioned Kylo Ren was a bit whiny at times (my wife watches Girls and Adam Driver bothered her in this role).

Like others experienced, the fan reaction in my theater was great. Lots of cheers for Han and Chewie's first appearance especially, and the Falcon's introduction was fantastic. Rae's technical prowess was a bit surprising but not totally unbelieveable, and I loved the banter between Poe and Finn.

Overall you can find some nitpicks here and there, but geez it just felt right. Can't wait to see it again.
Ag Since 83
AG
As a fangirl, let me say I'm so glad they introduced an awesome female lead like Rey without being preachy about it or having some line like LOTR: "no man can kill me" "I am no man!"
boy09
AG
I think the most interesting thing about BB-8 is that Bill Hader and Ben Schwartz (Jean-Ralphio) provided the voice.

http://www.avclub.com/article/turns-out-bill-hader-and-ben-schwartz-did-voice-bb-229927
YellowPot_97
AG
One of my favorite shots was the first person view looking out the cockpit of an x-wing!
fig96
AG
quote:
As a fangirl, let me say I'm so glad they introduced an awesome female lead like Rey without being preachy about it or having some line like LOTR: "no man can kill me" "I am no man!"
Agreed, I thought her character development was really well done.

I think we all saw the force pull of the lightsaber in the forest coming (and that got a huge cheer in my theater) but it was absolutely perfect. The scene with her and Kylo Ren in the cell was fantastic too.
birdman
Did BB8 have the map on him when he got to Resistance base? At some point they had to put it back in his USB drive. I thought maybe R2 was asleep until the other part of map was nearby. Once the two pieces were nearby, he woke up. It happened pretty fast, so my facts could be off.

Rey is awesome. I can't imagine that Han and Leia don't recognize their niece. Or Kylo doesn't recognize his cousin.

I see Maz as a grandmother or godmother type. But maybe, Rey never lived with her father Luke. But Kylo and Rey were close enough in age that they would have trained together.

What I want for Episode 8? Turn things around. Luke finishes Rey's training. (this could happen off screen, between films). Or maybe he's secretly been training more Jedi's at his hideout. Either way, the Resistance is hunting down bad guys. The whole film is them chasing Kylo, Snoke, Phasma, etc. Just like a Clint Eastwood Western manhunt.
Jim01
AG
I loved when Han called out Rylo and the mask "You don't need it." Rylo just trying desperately to be like Vader.
fig96
AG
Also, one of my favorite shots was the during the battle outside Maz's compound, when the camera pans up from Finn to following Poe in an X-wing overhead shredding some Tie Fighters, then back down to Finn's line of "That's one hell of a pilot!"

Classic Spielberg oner.
wangus12
AG
Star-Killer Base destroys the Hosnian Star System. The Resistance Base is located on D'Qar
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Well, that line of dialogue is straight from the book...
wangus12
AG
I loved the final shot. I was at the Skelligs last year and they seriously didn't change anything. That is exactly how it looks with the ruins.

I would have loved it id Luke had pulled the lightsaber from Rey's hand, ignited it and asked "Who are you"
Saxsoon
AG
It is pretty unique in my opinion to have a villain struggling with the light (as compared to just trying to have a means to an end to his "righteous"cause). He literally views the light the way we view the dark, as something sinful and to be ashamed of. He is afraid that snoke senses him moving to the light. That is fascinating
Ag Since 83
AG
My comment stands, whether it be Tolkien or Jackson
lunchbox
I'm pretty sure BB-8's map had been in the big console for a day or so before R2 woke up.

I think it was something else...maybe Rey's presence?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
My comment stands, whether it be Tolkien or Jackson
MY guess was Tolkien probably wasn't trying to make a feminist statement.

That being said, I liked Rey's development oo. Just a badass, regardless of gender.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
One of my favorite shots was the first person view looking out the cockpit of an x-wing!
One of my more favorite things about the atmospheric battle was that you could see the compressed air from the X-Wing. It's nice to see that they took care to actually pay attention to the details about them actually being in an atmosphere when flying and that Seeing the view from the pilot's seat was more of a bonus since playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter on the PC though.
redd38
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure BB-8's map had been in the big console for a day or so before R2 woke up.

With R2 in low power mode maybe he only did a scan for the other part of the map once a day or something like that.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

With R2 in low power mode maybe he only did a scan for the other part of the map once a day or something like that.
or maybe Luke woke him up.

Luke probably sensed Han was going to die at the hands of Kylo but cared for what they stood for and let it happen (as yoda once told Luke).

He also could have sensed Rey getting more powerful in the force and decided it was time for her to find him.
nickstro66
AG
I'm glad they didn't kill Kylo off. I liked his character and I feel like they can do a lot with him.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Did BB8 have the map on him when he got to Resistance base? At some point they had to put it back in his USB drive. I thought maybe R2 was asleep until the other part of map was nearby. Once the two pieces were nearby, he woke up. It happened pretty fast, so my facts could be off.
BB8 did have it in his (her? they said BB8 is female right?) little compartment/storage area when they got to the base. Poe had to take it out so it could be put of on the larger display. I wasn't sure why they just left it in there until R2 woke up though. I'm still not clear exactly on why R2 woke up suddenly. I think that will likely be one of the things we are left to wonder about. I wonder if that was TCTTS' convenient things he spoke of.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I'm glad they didn't kill Kylo off. I liked his character and I feel like they can do a lot with him.
Gotta be setting him up for redemption in IX, yeah?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.