*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,753 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
RiverDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PatAg
AG
quote:
I also think there was a small percentage of people that went into the film looking for some of the EU to be canonized.
That's an understatement haha. My only wish was for them to just make the Hand of Thrawn series into a movie.
Aggrad08
AG
So I liked it. I have some mixed feelings because I thought they could have made it amazing and instead it was just good.

Good Things:

1.Real Sets, Real sand, real sweat, dialogue way better than prequels

2.actors did will especially harrison and the girl playing rey

3.Dogfights, I love them and they were gone in the prequels and were really good. Poe's skill was readily apparent I loved the instant chemistry with fin as they shot out the star destroyers weapons.

4.I laughed several times. The dogfight above, don't hold my hand, bb8 giving the thumbs up (the best one), Oh' your cold chewy!, That's not how the force works, chewy talking himself up to the doctor, I like this gun, all immediately come to mind.

5.Kylo ren being a *****, Sith are always so overpowered, but it's nice to see a padawan having to earn his stripes also him struggling with the light side, they always struggle with darkness, it's nice to see it go both ways.
6. The fight scene. No flips or stupid twirls. Hacking your saber at the other guy trying to kill them. I liked Ren's unwieldy crackling saber in contrasts to anakins refined elegant blade. I like that he's obvious way jacked up by chewy blasting him.

7. They were on the frontier again. These weren't the marble halls of the capital, they were the rugged and wild outskirts. Star wars is a western again.

8. Han was Han. Plain and simple, I believed he was still that character I saw so long ago. charming, arrogant, focused on self preservation didn't mail it in one bit.

9. Storm troopers were people. They were cruel, could shoot accurately (mostly), fight hand to hand, cared about betryal, and were afraid. I loved the two storm troopers nope the hell out of there when kylo has his hissy fit.

10. Luke reveal was great, the hurt and recognition in his eyes.

The bad

1. The plot. At least the bits ripped straight off the first movie. Some originality was needed.

2. Some standard abrams contrivances that got a bit out of hand.

3. Another death star. Dammit, the second one was pushing it.

4. rey learned force stuff way too fast. She shouldn't have been that competent even as a skywalker that quickly.

5. Gigantic bad guy hologram.

All in all I liked what I got, but it was just a bit conservative. If he would have followed some new tropes he really could have hit an absolute home run. It's almost how close he got that stings the most. I have high hopes for the next one.
Dro07
AG
"learned force stuff way too fast. She shouldn't have been that competent even as a skywalker that quickly."

This bugged me some at first then I think the whole being trained as a young Jedi and having her mind wiped works out well. She never sees or hears the Jedi mind trick from anyone but somehow recalls it.
KidDoc
AG
Finally finished this thread! Good movie and good discussions looking forward to the next one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
"learned force stuff way too fast. She shouldn't have been that competent even as a skywalker that quickly."

This bugged me some at first then I think the whole being trained as a young Jedi and having her mind wiped works out well. She never sees or hears the Jedi mind trick from anyone but somehow recalls it.

How do you know she has never heard of the Jedi mind trick? She was aware of who Han Solo was. How did she know that? We have no idea what she has heard. She might know all about Jedi stories as legends. And then Han Solo tells her it is all true.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:
Regarding Maz having the lightsaber, she obviously has a history with Han and Chewie, lots of power and connections in the world of smugglers, crime, and espionage, and some connection to the Force. I find it very unsurprising that a person like that would end up with Luke's lightsaber.

do you find it surprising at all that she would have it unguarded effectively in an unlocked box in the basement?

Even weirder than that -- the unlocked box was behind a door with an electronic lock that unlocked itself at Rey's approach.

All of this is going to be explored in the next installment. She heard the sound of a screaming child? Probably her, which led her down there. Maz said don't ask or "story for another time" as to how she wound up with it.

Lots of history that will get peeled back about Luke and Rey in episode viii
Ulrich
quote:
quote:
quote:
Regarding Maz having the lightsaber, she obviously has a history with Han and Chewie, lots of power and connections in the world of smugglers, crime, and espionage, and some connection to the Force. I find it very unsurprising that a person like that would end up with Luke's lightsaber.

do you find it surprising at all that she would have it unguarded effectively in an unlocked box in the basement?

Even weirder than that -- the unlocked box was behind a door with an electronic lock that unlocked itself at Rey's approach.
I doubt it was unguarded. The wise old guide character usually pushes those sort of events along. This is Yoda showing Luke the cave. Only what you take in....
Cyp011
AG
Agree. She entered the room with her Skywalker blood and her experiences that were blocked from her conscious.

The Skywalker legacy is that they bring balance to the force. No one ever argued to which side but that they always brought balance. At current the Force is unbalanced to the dark side with Luke in hiding.

You now have a Jedi Master and trainee and a Sith Lord and Trainee. The Skywalker legacy is in this current time period about to be fulfilled (atlas momentarily).

Abrams was never one to answer many questions. Unlike the prequels which felt like a procedural effort to explain the galaxy the new ones will leave parts to ones imagination. At it's heart star wars has always been built upon imagination and wonder.

Sure, I would have loved to have more items explained in a neat manner. However, I wouldnt be nearly as involved if that was the case.
twilly
AG
This was making the rounds earlier today...

Is it a gravestone, or is it just a rock?
YouBet
AG
nm
jabberwalkie09
AG
I read about that before my second viewing, and I couldn't make out if there was any writing or not on it.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

I have already forgiven any of the nit picky things I thought about this movie because I truly did love it but that last scene is still so poor. Totally killed my mood!

I'm with you there. There needed to be more of a payoff, or they shouldn't have shown it at all. Rey leaving and going to find him would have been a perfect ending. Or having Luke speak something. But I wasn't a fan of how they ended it
Donald Glover
AG
One of the friends I saw it with the first time mentioned after the movie that he thought that was a gravestone. I saw it for the second time today and made sure to stare at that rock to see if it was a gravestone, and I saw nothing, just looks like a rock to me
Bunk Moreland
Also, I only read pages 1-5 and the last 2, but has it even been discussed the idea of featuring a female as the next person in line to be a jedi?

I find it funny we hear about JLaw and other actresses *****ing about equal pay, more respect for actresses, etc., and yet after watching that movie the only thing I thought or cared to say was "damn Rey is a ****ing badass!"

Once again in overly pc culture, most people don't give a **** as long as the story works.
Cyp011
AG
Its obvious this is now the story of Rey.
Donald Glover
AG
I might not have liked them going the female route, but I think they casted it perfectly, I loved Daisy Ridley
YouBet
AG
I thought she was awesome. She is going to be a freaking mega star.
Bunk Moreland
Agree. Which I think is awesome. I just find it humorous that the last 2 years you have people like Jlaw and Patricia Arquette railing on treatment of women in cinema and the biggest original franchise in Hollywood history is now centered around a female.

And I dig. And I think the vast majority of people are fine with it and welcome it because normal people don't care about gender as long as the story works
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have already forgiven any of the nit picky things I thought about this movie because I truly did love it but that last scene is still so poor. Totally killed my mood!

I'm with you there. There needed to be more of a payoff, or they shouldn't have shown it at all. Rey leaving and going to find him would have been a perfect ending. Or having Luke speak something. But I wasn't a fan of how they ended it

Agreed that it lacked a little something. I think a small change could have been having Luke quickly force summon the saber and stare at it for a few seconds before turning his gaze back to her. Would have been just a little something more.
AliasMan02
AG
Putting a strong female hero front and center isn't being overly pc, imo. There is a real gender gap in the Star Wars canon. Nothing wrong with trying to keep about half of the heroes female.

The Star Wars fanbase, in as much as it's part of geekdom at large, is historically very chauvinistic. I hope that this new relaunch continues to be part of the solution to that particular problem. I want my hypothetical daughter to be able to be an enthusiastic fan of the franchise without having to carve out some small part that is "for girls."
mjpfeffer98
AG
I can't even describe how excited my 10-year old daughter is that Rey is a badass. She was already a huge Star Wars fan before TFA, but now that the main character is Rey - this is probably her favorite Star Wars movie.

She was wearing her Star Wars tights and T-Shirt to school last Thursday and all the kids at school were giving her a hard time because Star Wars is a "Boys Movie" She didn't care, but it's interesting to see how this stuff plays out with kids.
TelcoAg
AG
Ditto. I originally didn't have a single thought, negative or positive, about the new Jedi being a woman. The significance didn't register.

But then I thought about my 5 year old daughter and how this gives her a hero figure to latch on to, and within a genre and story that I grew up enjoying. It's a little more special because of that.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Putting a strong female hero front and center isn't being overly pc, imo. There is a real gender gap in the Star Wars canon. Nothing wrong with trying to keep about half of the heroes female.

The Star Wars fanbase, in as much as it's part of geekdom at large, is historically very chauvinistic. I hope that this new relaunch continues to be part of the solution to that particular problem. I want my hypothetical daughter to be able to be an enthusiastic fan of the franchise without having to carve out some small part that is "for girls."

Agree. And maybe I'm saying it wrong. The point I meant was that if the social justice Warriors were right...You'd have people upset with the decision to go with a female to continue the story. Either in words or with their money. What we are seeing is exactly the opposite. People don't care and actually embrace it because it works.
Carlo4
AG
Ok. All this "another death star" talk needs to be toned down.

We have this conflicted emo dark side force user who clearly wants to be his grandaddy and is really being used as a pawn.

How do i become Vader's equal or superior in the force? I know. A better bad azz planet killing weapon. He takes the death star idea and makes a hipster PC death star that doesn't hurt the planet of its creation. Obviously the first order wanted to do the death star verbatim, but emo Vader said "ice planets matter" and made sure they used a planet so that they at least saved one.

He only gets really mad when he knows the planet might be lost. Freaking tree hugger.

I full expect another one of these in episode 9, but maybe use solar panels to generate the destructive power of the battle station.

I'm sorry but something different than a planet destroying weapon would have been... well... hipster.

fig96
AG
I followed and totally agree.

It's not that isn't great she's female, because it is. It doesn't bother anyone (reasonable) because she's a great character.
fig96
AG
And speaking of diversity, the lower right image may be one of my favorite things I've seen...the look on that kid's face is amazing.

TCTTS
AG
I've read every single post since my review last night and while I'm definitely sticking to most of my initial thoughts/critiques, I do admit that I've come around on a few others. I love talking this stuff out with you guys. I'm seeing it for a second time tomorrow night, this time with my family, and will report back with my impressions after another go-around.
The Collective
AG
Watching TPM tonight... reinforces how great TFA is.
The Dog Lord
AG
Sorry if this was discussed earlier. I've only read the last 8 pages or so and saw many people talking about Rey's parents. Many mentioned if it would be possible for her to be Leia and Han's child. The possibility of a mind wipe and Leia/Han not discussing her for many reasons were all mentioned, but...Did anyone discuss the glaring issue of Kylo knowing his sister? I didn't pick up on any "you're my sister" vibes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I've read every single post since my review last night and while I'm definitely sticking to most of my initial thoughts/critiques, I do admit that I've come around on a few others. I love talking this stuff out with you guys. I'm seeing it for a second time tomorrow night, this time with my family, and will report back with my impressions after another go-around.
IMO, the Entertainment and Outdoor boards are some of the best boards on TexAgs. Based on everyone I have talked to, on their second viewing the score was more noticeable and they seemed to enjoy it more.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Sorry if this was discussed earlier. I've only read the last 8 pages or so and saw many people talking about Rey's parents. Many mentioned if it would be possible for her to be Leia and Han's child. The possibility of a mind wipe and Leia/Han not discussing her for many reasons were all mentioned, but...Did anyone discuss the glaring issue of Kylo knowing his sister? I didn't pick up on any "you're my sister" vibes.

Most people think she's Luke's kid.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

He long suspected that she was a certain someone, which was confirmed in his mind when she Force grabbed the lightsaber. Who that "certain someone" is remains a mystery.

To me it feels like he knows who she is in the context of being another of Luke's students.
Ulrich
I think Luke has foreseen some terrible consequence for Rey if she follows the path of the Jedi. That explains the despairing look when she shows up at the monastery and the mind wipe and seclusion on Jakku better than any theory I've heard so far. Fortunately, always in motion is the future.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:

Most people think she's Luke's kid.

Yeah saw that too. I think that is more likely and makes more sense based on what everyone has said (basically no mention of her yet all this talk between Leia and Han about Ben). Just wondering why the discussion about that particular theory didn't mention anything about Ben not giving any clues away. Just seems like too many people ignoring a family member to be plausible. Secret Skywalker child makes way more sense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.