*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,847 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too slow, you were. Disappointed, you must be
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
We still didn't get an explanation on who the Knights of ren are/were. I'm guessing snoke has something to do with that although if I remember from the movie someone says Kylo was the master of them or something.
Related, I was also a little disappointed at Phasma's screen time and usage. Seemed a little weak just to have her open the shield, I would've thought as an officer she'd have held out a bit more.

I'm thinking that the Knight's of Ren will probably be featured in VIII. Snoke spoke of them, but now that Rey is going to be trained I think Snoke will send him on a mission to find/kill Rey. In theory, there can be two concurrent stories going on in this trilogy like we had in ROTJ with Luke going to confront Vader and Han/Leia going to Endor, and then in ESB with Han/Leia we had them escaping Hoth and ending up at Cloud City and Luke on Dagobah training.

Personally, I'm hoping that most of Rey's training will happen off screen. And that by the time IX rolls around, we end up with Rey fighting Kylo and Luke fighting Snoke.
Bajan
AG
It was very pretty but...

The dark side was disorganized. Why the hell were two *****up kids in charge of this most important project? Snoke should have been there and should have been a badass or the ginger should have been an old guy

I didn't know that Snape and voldemort were going to be in this movie.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think we are going to see some division in the First Order throughout the trilogy. Hux vs. Ren has some natural tension to it. I could definitely see a Ren & the Knights vs Hux & Phasma power struggle.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
We still didn't get an explanation on who the Knights of ren are/were. I'm guessing snoke has something to do with that although if I remember from the movie someone says Kylo was the master of them or something.
Related, I was also a little disappointed at Phasma's screen time and usage. Seemed a little weak just to have her open the shield, I would've thought as an officer she'd have held out a bit more.

I'm thinking that the Knight's of Ren will probably be featured in VIII. Snoke spoke of them, but now that Rey is going to be trained I think Snoke will send him on a mission to find/kill Rey. In theory, there can be two concurrent stories going on in this trilogy like we had in ROTJ with Luke going to confront Vader and Han/Leia going to Endor, and then in ESB with Han/Leia we had them escaping Hoth and ending up at Cloud City and Luke on Dagobah training.

Personally, I'm hoping that most of Rey's training will happen off screen. And that by the time IX rolls around, we end up with Rey fighting Kylo and Luke fighting Snoke.
That's a pretty good take, lot of that makes sense.

Also related, I thought the Supreme Leader was a little stuck in. You got the idea of who he was, and it worked, but it felt like at least a bit of exposition there would've been helpful.

I also had no idea that he was who folks were talking about when referring to "Snoke" till fairly deep into this thread
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Snoke should have been there and should have been a badass or the ginger should have been an old guy
The Emperor was not present in ESB.
bthotugigem05
AG
Anyone else hear both the Imperial March and the Jedi Theme play when Rey was standing there with Luke?
jr15aggie
AG
It's been discussed... glad Kylo didn't die... but I was actually nervous during the duel. I knew Rey & Finn would be OK (Han died, no more heros were going down). But I wasn't sure about Kylo. I knew I wanted him around and we all talked about how it was a dang shame Darth Maul was introduced and killed so quickly. I was literally a bit nervous that Kylo and his blaster wound would be his downfall (remember, Chuy's weapon was POWERFUL as shown earlier).

When Rey took a slice of his face I jumped a little. Glad he's coming back!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think we are going to see some division in the First Order throughout the trilogy. Hux vs. Ren has some natural tension to it. I could definitely see a Ren & the Knights vs Hux & Phasma power struggle.
Hux and Ren reminds me of Piett and Vader, only Piett was intimidated by Vader and Hux clearly wasn't. Phasma gave me the impression that she was supposed to be this trilogy's Yularen... Which may mean she bit it in TFA, which would be sad because Gwendoline Christie is a pretty damn good actress IMO.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Also related, I thought the Supreme Leader was a little stuck in. You got the idea of who he was, and it worked, but it felt like at least a bit of exposition there would've been helpful.
I get that a little bit of exposition would have been nice, and I agree a little bit more on the First Order into how it came about or how expansive both the Republic and First Order territories are in general.

InternetFan02
AG
3 spoilers I'm glad I avoided or was too dumb to figure out from the trailers

-The Force Awakens refers to Rey becoming the new chosen one/super Jedi. "There has been an awakening" I wasn't sure if it would refer to stuff surrounding Kylo, Luke, the Sith leader, etc. Turning point of the movie is when she Force-Mind****s Kylo in the torture chair

-"I will finish what you started...Grandfather"

-Millineum Falcon appears out of nowhere. That got the biggest applause of the movie. Han Solo appearing got huge applause as well but we anticipated that from the trailer. After that it was clear they were getting the band back together and had nice intros for every old character but up to that point it was all new stuff
Jack Thauer
AG
Bajan
AG
quote:
quote:
Snoke should have been there and should have been a badass or the ginger should have been an old guy
The Emperor was not present in ESB.

In a new hope, there is the admiral in charge while vader is still learning, after vader has matured a bit, he takes over in esb. If the ginger had been an old pro, it would have made a lot more sense - and that he isn't an old pro might be significant in who he is related to or something

Because let's be honest. For snoke to leave these two rooks in charge lessened his ruthless nature
WALTON LOADS!
AG
quote:
Anyone else hear both the Imperial March and the Jedi Theme play when Rey was standing there with Luke?
OK...I thought I was hearing things but I guess not. Yes, I heard it too
Farmer1906
AG
Did everyone's hand survive that duel? It looked like both Kylo and Fin could have lose theirs. I assume not because it didn't show it, but it also didn't show them having a hand.

Did anyone else think it was weird how Kylo was hitting his wounds from the blast? Like maybe he isn't 100% human. Maybe he is already part cyborg.
Brahma
Two more things I noticed/wanted to throw in for discussion.

First, Max Von Sydow's character is talking to Poe in the beginning and they are talking about Leia. He said "to me she's royalty" or something like that. That tells me that he's from Alderaan or something like that and has known Leia for a long time. I'm sure we will get back story about this.

Another thing that I'm not sure of is whether the general public in the galaxy know Leia is a skywalker. I think Poe called her general Organa so I'm guessing people still don't know she's related to Vader and Luke.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
In a new hope, there is the admiral in charge while vader is still learning, after vader has matured a bit, he takes over in esb. If the ginger had been an old pro, it would have made a lot more sense - and that he isn't an old pro might be significant in who he is related to or something
In ANH, Tarkin who was a Grand Moff was in charge and apparently reported directly to the Emperor from what we are led to believe. In fact, from what we are also led to believe, all the Moffs reported to Tarkin as well. I have to wonder though, how much more learning did Vader have to do? He was Jedi Knight become Sith Lord, fought in The Clone Wars and led the 501st, and defeated Dooku prior to becoming a Sith Lord.

What else could Vader had to learn? Vader had better things to do than run the Imperial Navy.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok, I had to step out of the theater today during the showing to e-sign some house closing documents...

ya I'm a fool...

what happened towards the end of the Kylo torturing Rey scene? I didn't get to see/watch when she over powered him and saw that he was scared and then what happened with the storm troopers? I saw the end part where she mind tricked the one into leaving his post and dropping his blaster but didn't see before that.

Basically missed 1-2 mins.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Kylo tried to use the Force to extract the information like he did from Poe. It didn't work. She turned it around on him saying that he was the one afraid that he wouldn't ever become as powerful as Lord Vader. Someone can fill in the finer details of what Kylo said.
Simplebay
AG
You missed the Daniel Craig scene.... a great one
InternetFan02
AG
You missed a pivotal scene with Kylo in front of the Supreme Leader hologram

Supreme Leader: "You let the girl ovepower you?!?!? Bring....her....to....me"

OnlyForNow
AG
This is what I was looking for, and definitely missed.

Shiza.... well I'll be seeing it again the day after Christmas with my wife's cousin's husbands and FIL and BIL.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Did anyone else think it was weird how Kylo was hitting his wounds from the blast? Like maybe he isn't 100% human. Maybe he is already part cyborg.
No, I figured he was trying to numb that area to block out the pain of being shot. Have you never poked at a cut or bruise? You get a sharp pain, but then you are numb for a little while before the throbbing pain comes back.
Philip J Fry
AG
Honestly, I think killing Han off ruins the movie for me. I think it's a cheap way to try and make the movie impactful that's been done before. I probably won't bother to watch it again for a long time.

For a movie about the force, there was very little force action overall.

Also didn't care for the new light saber look.

Kylo is just a typical millennial.
fig96
AG
quote:
Kylo tried to use the Force to extract the information like he did from Poe. It didn't work. She turned it around on him saying that he was the one afraid that he wouldn't ever become as powerful as Lord Vader. Someone can fill in the finer details of what Kylo said.
That was a pretty critical scene actually, we saw Rey suddenly discover that she's a lot stronger than she realized. A description doesn't do it justice.
Really???
quote:
quote:
No, I figured he was trying to numb that area to block out the pain of being shot. Have you never poked at a cut or bruise? You get a sharp pain, but then you are numb for a little while before the throbbing pain comes back.

I took away the opposoite- that he was making the pain worse to make himself more powerful
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I also took it as him kinda psyching himself up, almost like an athlete before a game. He's in pain, but he's trying to focus and breathe and convince himself it doesn't hurt.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Interesting take.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I agree, but I can't remember the entire scene off the top of my head.
fig96
AG
quote:
I agree, but I can't remember the entire scene off the top of my head.
Ha, not criticizing your description Just that it definitely needs to be watched.
Brahma
quote:

Not sure if you watched the same movie that I did. I thought there was quite a bit of force action going on throughout.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure if you watched the same movie that I did. I thought there was quite a bit of force action going on throughout.
PJF must like the PT when pretty much entire movie was filled with force action.
Simplebay
AG
first look at Episode 8. Looks intense

Brian Earl Spilner
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:

Agree. There was quite a bit of force stuff going on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.