*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,630 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgot to mention, on my fourth viewing last night, I actually enjoyed it even more. Somehow I am getting more out of it each time.

I'm probably done, although I might get an urge to watch it again in a month or so.

And as several have mentioned, you appreciate the music more and more each time. I now completely love Rey's Theme, Kylo's theme, and the March of the Resistance.

Rex Racer
AG
quote:
I agree that it would be kind of stupid if he is Darth Plagueis, but it is the same melody that was playing during the Darth Plagueis conversation in Episode III, and it isn't like Williams to re-use music for no reason.
I totally missed that.
bilbobag
Saw the movie twice.

Really enjoyed more the second time especially realizing things I missed the first time around.

The music was outstanding
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Please, oh please do this for Ep VIII, Johnny.

redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree that it would be kind of stupid if he is Darth Plagueis, but it is the same melody that was playing during the Darth Plagueis conversation in Episode III, and it isn't like Williams to re-use music for no reason.
I totally missed that.

A number of people have already said the music isn't exactly the same.
Knife_Party
I noticed this go around that the music that plays a lot when Rey is using the force is the same music as when Luke is using the force. Not sure if that has anything to do with their relationship. Is that just the force theme?
Knife_Party
Also, in my showing there was a little kid that yelled out "oh my gosh!" right after Rey and Finn escaped the Ties on Jakku in the Falcon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I won't list them out right now, but PLENTY of lines in the OT were purely for humor. Star Wars is supposed to have humor.
This.

Droid please.

What an incredible smell you've discovered!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, that is the force theme. Possibly the greatest piece of music in the saga.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Maybe in all of film.
redline248
AG
So, from Rey's vision sequence is the clip of Luke putting his hand on R2, that was in the 2nd teaser. Y'all think that is Jakku or the planet he's now on? If it's the one he's on now, how'd R2 get back to the resistance? Or do y'all think it's some completely random, unimportant planet?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think it was the planet his academy was on.
Knife_Party
I agree with this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Too good, have to post it here too.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
A number of people have already said the music isn't exactly the same.

I don't think any of them can argue that the two themes aren't very similar.

Could it be coincidence, sure, many composers re-use themes...but if Snoke and Ren aren't Sith, they are some novel type of Force user, and so far the re-boot of the franchise is trending anywhere but novelty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TelcoAg
AG
The only reason I hate the Plagieus angle is because of the Midichlorian angle, and the fact that Lucas wrote a story where Plagieus would be Luke's grandfather.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Never seen any of them up until 2 weeks ago when my cousin let me borrow the 2 trilogies. Instantly loved them. The gf and I watched them the way I was told to watch them (4,5,6,1,2,3) followed by the Force Awakens. Like how did I go 27 years without watching this ****.

It's crazy to watch them for the first time at 27. How much did you know going in?
redline248
AG
If they are Sith, fine, but I hope the writers come up with a different way than having Snoke be Plagueis. Starwars.com doesn't have much of anything about him, but wookiepedia (take it for what you will) lists him as "died"
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
The only reason I hate the Plagieus angle is because of the Midichlorian angle, and the fact that Lucas wrote a story where Plagieus would be Luke's grandfather.
Yeah, I figured he would be the one who manipulated midichlorians to create life in Shmi Skywalker.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
If they are Sith, fine, but I hope the writers come up with a different way than having Snoke be Plagueis. Starwars.com doesn't have much of anything about him, but wookiepedia (take it for what you will) lists him as "died"
Palpatine clearly stated that Plagueis was dead, and it is strongly implied that he was the one who killed him.

But there is clear precedent from the originals that a character stating that someone was killed is not definitive evidence of death. Also Palpatine was not infallible, even if he thought that he was.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redline248
AG
Which raises the possibility that Palpatine was lying his ass off to Anakin about Plagueis's ability to keep others from dying.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought Kylo Ren spent too much time with the mask off in the latter part of the movie. More mask would have made him a little less emo. At a minimum, it should have been back on when he met with Snoke. I probably would have only had him remove it for the encounter with Han, and then putting it back on after he killed just puts the additional exclamation of his choice and gives that extra tick or two with Han's death that some thought was lacking.
Knife_Party
I wanted to point out something Ren said right after Rey escaped.

"She's only testing her powers. The longer we go without capturing her, the more dangerous she becomes." Or somethibg like that.
redline248
AG
quote:
I wanted to point out something Ren said right after Rey escaped.

"She's only testing her powers. The longer we go without capturing her, the more dangerous she becomes." Or somethibg like that.
It was mentioned once or twice somewhere on this thread, but probably not been given enough credence to how things played out with her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I actually thought the same thing. In fact, putting on the mask after killing Han would've been a great beat in and of itself, plus the last fight should've been mask on and maybe Rey cuts it off with the saber.

Also, one small thing that has bothered me each time I've seen it: When Han shoots that one stormtrooper behind him without even looking. Got a little too ridiculous/cartoony with that one.
redline248
AG
He's a space cowboy
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

We are making a HUGE assumption that it was his Academy that was killed.

It seems unlikely that he could have tracked down the dozens of bodies we saw and begin training. Could be something like only Kylo or Kylo and one other as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can't understand your post.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

We are making a HUGE assumption that it was his Academy that was killed.

It seems unlikely that he could have tracked down the dozens of bodies we saw and begin training. Could be something like only Kylo or Kylo and one other as well.
Obviously it's an assumption. It's been 30 years since Yoda told Luke to pass on what he learned. You don't think Luke could have found a dozen people to train in 30 years?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, got it now.

I think he could've easily tracked down that many future Jedi in 15 years or so.

What was it, like 30 bodies? 2 kids per year isn't that crazy.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

I don't think it's likely Luke gas established a whole Academy. I think he only had one or two apprentices.
COOL LASER FALCON
I liked him without the mask. He dropped it after he killed Han and didn't pick it up. It solidified that as a no turning back moment. Sort of the opposite of Anakin/ Vader. The mask was his conflicted self. His true self is pure evil.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I thought Kylo Ren spent too much time with the mask off in the latter part of the movie. More mask would have made him a little less emo. At a minimum, it should have been back on when he met with Snoke. I probably would have only had him remove it for the encounter with Han, and then putting it back on after he killed just puts the additional exclamation of his choice and gives that extra tick or two with Han's death that some thought was lacking.

I disagree in part because the mask off as long as it was created a clear separation between what Vader was and what Kylo is. Kylo is Kylo, mask on or off. Vader and Anakin, for all intents and purposes, were two completely different people. Even in ESB, when Palpatine hologram into Vader's quarters, he makes it clear that Luke is the son of Anakin - but that he is not Vader's son.
AliasMan02
AG
Just wanted to chime in that if Plagueis is, in fact, Snoke, then he could still not be a Sith at this point. It's not like the Sith is a race or super-specific belief system. It's the remnant of a long dead empire, trying to regain its dominance while seeking revenge on the Jedi. Plagueis could easily decide to abandon the Sith lineage, which just had its centuries long plans flame out within a generation, and create something new. The Knights of Ren, presumably created by Snoke as a sort of Dark Side nobility, is already a departure from prior Sith philosophy.

Most of what we've seen from the new canon is really all about moving forward with Star Wars as it was originally created, distancing itself from the "new" massively retconned Star Wars that Lucas created with the prequels. One of the chief inexplicable changes was the establishment of Darth being a title, and the Sith being just two people. Those things are now heavily embedded canon, but are still things that can be left in the history of Star Wars and not shape its future.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think it's likely Luke gas established a whole Academy. I think he only had one or two apprentices.
Not sure where you'd get that. He certainly didn't have only one apprentice. Ben Solo was "an" apprentice, which means there were more than one. Beyond that, Solo says Luke was training a new generation of Jedi. That hardly sounds like one or two people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.