*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,125 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
when it comes to rey being involved, I go with the theory that nothing that brings her involvement into play is truly coincidence. The force connects her and there is a destiny for her to fulfill. It's fate being fulfilled vs coincidence.

As far as Han and Chewy go, I thought the Falcon being "activated" and flown is why they were able to locate it quickly. It wasn't like they saved rey and fin at some perfect moment. They just tracked them down.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
when it comes to rey being involved, I go with the theory that nothing that brings her involvement into play is truly coincidence. The force connects her and there is a destiny for her to fulfill. It's fate being fulfilled vs coincidence.

As far as Han and Chewy go, I thought the Falcon being "activated" and flown is why they were able to locate it quickly. It wasn't like they saved rey and fin at some perfect moment. They just tracked them down.

Powering up the Falcon allowed them to track it. Its beacon lit up and Han and Chewie dropped everything to recover it.
MASAXET
AG
That makes a lot of sense with the falcon and seems obvious (even if I hadn't thought of it). Thanks!

But I'm wondering if there's more than just destiny on Rey becoming involved. Also wondering (albeit much more of a reach obviously) if there is a connection with Finn too. Remember he said he was taken from his family. That was also his first mission. I don't dont know, but maybe his light saber skill wasn't completely random.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
took the wife to see concussion tonight at the drafthouse; got up to hit the head, noticed TFA was playing right next to the men's room, took a 5-minute detour to watch rey/finn fly the falcon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There will certainly be some deeper backstory revealed for Rey that may very well remove part of the coincidence. And who knows, maybe Fin too. Both are examples of why I think this new set is off to a great start. The plot was not overly complex, but there is lot of interesting depth and mystery to the characters. Much like IV-VI and the opposite of I-III.
AliasMan02
AG
Was just thinking about the Kylo end game. What if he ends up in Luke's custody, asks forgiveness, which Luke grants. However, he executes Kylo for his crimes, and we see a glimpse of the darkness that the Skywalkers struggle with.
redline248
AG
I have a hard time seeing Luke execute anyone that's surrendered.
Brandamne
I'd like to offer a Big F U to the loser who posted the HAN dies thread! Break a leg!
AMW2010
AG
HAN DIES?!?!? DUDE!
Bismarck
AG
Just saw the film and meh. Honestly, between Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I feel like both franchises should have remained dead after their third films. I'll keep seeing them but its just one disappointment after another.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Imo, this was way better than the fourth Indiana Jones film.
BMX Bandit
Fantastic movie.

Easily a top 2 Star Wars movie when viewed as stand alone movie. Fisher was very bad though. Seems the man complaint on this thread is "it's not the Star Wars I would have made".
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Imo, this was way better than the fourth Indiana Jones film.
no comparison really.

IJ-IV is a 6.2 on IMDB...TFA is currently at #32 all-time and an 8.6

and IJ-IV made 300 million at the box office on name alone....TFA hit that in less than 5 days.
Knife_Party
quote:
Fantastic movie.

Easily a top 2 Star Wars movie when viewed as stand alone movie. Fisher was very bad though. Seems the man complaint on this thread is "it's not the Star Wars I would have made".

Agreed. Everyone I've talked to that didn't like it (one whole person) and the people on the thread that thought it was bad all expected it to be something star wars has ultimately never been. Many also seem to backwards rationalize their dislike with some kind of reason that is objectively not even true like "Harrison Ford was terrible."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Fantastic movie.

Agreed. Everyone I've talked to that didn't like it (one whole person) and the people on the thread that thought it was bad all expected it to be something star wars has ultimately never been. Many also seem to backwards rationalize their dislike with some kind of reason that is objectively not even true like "Harrison Ford was terrible."

Outside of this thread the only (one) person I've encountered that did not like it (she said) out of about 30+ people....was a woman who was only upset about Han Solo to the point of tears......

She went on and on about the film in discussion however, she obviously liked it, but overall she says she didn't like it because of that. I pointed out (which she knew) that Harrison Ford wanted him killed off and has wanted him killed off since 1983 and took a big payday likely only with assurances that he would be killed off. So I told her it was a choice between either no Han Solo (and talk about him being dead offscreen) or getting one last great Han Solo appearance (performance) and a dramatic and important part of the story. Wouldn't you rather see Han Solo again than not I asked? That seemed to console her a little.

But seriously other than that, the only minor issues anyone had was with the retread plot, but overall they loved it anyway.
InnerCityAg
quote:
I say Luke finally figured out how to control Midichlorians and used them to Virgin Mary someone. We come full circle

Force sperm?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
So you don't want to think because it's Star Wars... Bet you complain about mindless humor in other movies. There was a ton of exploration in the originals about motivations, for good and evil characters (Han, Luke, Vader, etc.).

You make it sound as if "bad guy is conflicted about being bad" is a character development fraught with intellectual depth. There isn't anything there to think about. I didn't find it interesting, just annoying.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texags is garbage
Will Kylo eventually become a Sith Lord after getting his ass handed to him? Seems like there will be a ton of rage in him built up in the next film.
jeffk
AG
I hope Kylo actually becomes an unstoppable force during the next episode and gives us a negative cliffhanger. Would lead to a pretty exciting/frantic final chapter where Luke has to go all out to defeat him with help from his light-side crew.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Will Kylo eventually become a Sith Lord after getting his ass handed to him? Seems like there will be a ton of rage in him built up in the next film.

They aren't sith.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Well, someone in the galaxy gets it:

Emo Kylo Ren twitter account
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
They aren't sith.

You don't buy the Darth Plagueis angle?
Ulrich
I don't.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Well, someone in the galaxy gets it:

Emo Kylo Ren twitter account

redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
They aren't sith.

100% hell no
Donald Glover
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
They aren't sith.

100% hell no

Why not?
redline248
AG
For one thing it would be stupid as fck.

For another, all we know about him is from EP II, in which he is described as dead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's also described as learning the secret to cheating death.

It waa Ep III, btw.
Knife_Party
Just got back from seeing it a second time. Better the second time around. I was able to jettison all my expectations and desires and just process the story, the characters, and the action.
redline248
AG
Missed an I.

What I remember is Palps saying he could keep others from dying, but not himself.
Mr. White
quote:
Just got back from seeing it a second time. Better the second time around. I was able to jettison all my expectations and desires and just process the story, the characters, and the action.

This is exactly what I hope happens for me.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I agree that it would be kind of stupid if he is Darth Plagueis, but it is the same melody that was playing during the Darth Plagueis conversation in Episode III, and it isn't like Williams to re-use music for no reason.
Ag Since 83
AG
It was interesting to see my mother, who always just watched in amusement as her daughter descended into Star Wars geekdom, get somewhat upset at Han dying
DannyDuberstein
AG
I wouldn't mind the Plagueis angle.
Rex Racer
AG
Yeah, I'm not even sure Plagueis could really create life. The Emperor could have just been making that story up to manipulate Anakin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.