*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,811 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am wondering if it ever exited the facility. If not, some maintenance worker would have found it and probably sold it. If it did exit the facility, who is to say that a cloud city wouldn't have some kind of safety net. Also, we don't know what the gas is like below the cloud city. Isn't it some kind of heavy gas that they are mining? The saber could have been suspended in the heavy gas until it was discovered by some kind of mining apparatus. Who knows? I would bet that it didn't fall out and routine maintenance found it...or someone who went down there to see if Luke's body was down there.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Btw, what is the creature that pokes it's head out of the sand as BB-8 rolls away from Poe? Haven't we seen that before?

Top of my head, it's a Watcher Worm or something like that.
unmade bed
Just got done watching it.

Probably going to get killed for these takes but it was kinda meh.

Exact same plot as New Hope.

Why was Bane from Batman in it?

Also, really cheapens Luke Skywalker that it took him months of training with Obi and Yoda to become proficient with a light sabre, but some scrub storm trooper washout picks one up once and is a killing machine with it?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
some scrub storm trooper washout picks one up once and is a killing machine with it?

Which movie were you watching?
SapperAg
AG
quote:

quote:
some scrub storm trooper washout picks one up once and is a killing machine with it?

Seriously. He got owned by a Stormtrooper with a riot stick and nearly killed by an injured semi-trained Sith.
unmade bed
quote:
quote:

quote:

Seriously. He got owned by a Stormtrooper with a riot stick and nearly killed by an injured semi-trained Sith.

He killed at least one stormtrooper. Also the "semi" trained sith seemed pretty powerful. He froze a freaking blaster shot.

I don't know, they just always made such a big deal about lightsabers and jedis, I had no idea that random dudes could just pick them up and kill folks and parry (however ineffectively) with trained siths.

Im still looking forward to 8 and 9. Maybe it turns out that Fin has jedi bloodlines.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:

Questions for you based on this statement.

When did Darth Vader kill his own father in ANH?
When did Luke/Han/Chewie stop by a smugglers' headquarters in ANH?
When did Rey's family get murdered in TFA?
When did Luke take up a lightsaber and duel Darth Vader in ANH?
When did Luke pick up a lightsaber and have flashbacks of someone else's life?
Who did Kylo Ren torture for information on the location of the secret Resistance base?

Am i nit picking you? Of course, but if you're going to give me this "exact same plot" mumbo jumbo, you should expect to be asked to justify it.

quote:

I guess I"m dense, but what does this mean?
redline248
AG
Luke trained with obi wan for like 10 mins, and Yoda for like 1.5 days. And he was way better than Finn, who probably had combat training as a storm trooper.
redline248
AG
It means he's whining that bane and Kylo had similar voice effects.
Mr. White
I could understand every word Kylo said.

The Bane voice sound gaffe is still one of the most bewildering things in recent movie history.
Ulrich
quote:
I could understand every word Kylo said.

The Bane voice sound gaffe is still one of the most bewildering things in recent movie history.
Agree on both points.

But the plot for TFA was pretty similar to ANH. Han Solo transports a Skywalker(?) and a droid containing critical information from a desert world a step ahead of the imperials; the rebellion mounts a desperate assault to rescue the lady Skywalker(?) and destroy the Empire's super weapon moments before it can strike again.
redline248
AG
For the first 5 mins, all I could think was "this is just like A New Hope." Then I stopped caring.
unmade bed
quote:

quote:

Questions for you based on this statement.

When did Darth Vader kill his own father in ANH?
When did Luke/Han/Chewie stop by a smugglers' headquarters in ANH?
When did Rey's family get murdered in TFA?
When did Luke take up a lightsaber and duel Darth Vader in ANH?
When did Luke pick up a lightsaber and have flashbacks of someone else's life?
Who did Kylo Ren torture for information on the location of the secret Resistance base?

Am i nit picking you? Of course, but if you're going to give me this "exact same plot" mumbo jumbo, you should expect to be asked to justify it.

You got me. Also there was nothing called First Order in the NH, the sith's master was not a giant, and the death star didn't draw it's power from the Sun, so yeah you are right the stories were completely different.

Kylo Ren did torture his captives for information though.
quote:

quote:

I guess I"m dense, but what does this mean?

Bane from Batman was doing Kylo Rens voice over, right? I just figured they might have done some thing original, but going with Bane was alright.
unmade bed
quote:
Luke trained with obi wan for like 10 mins, and Yoda for like 1.5 days. And he was way better than Finn, who probably had combat training as a storm trooper.

Okay, my bad. Im not super into all the Star Wars stuff though I did enjoy the 1st 3 as a kid. I always thought Luke spent a great deal of time training, and all jedis learned their arts by being someone's apprentice for years and years. Didn't realize it wasn't such a big deal.

It's cool though, I would have just chalked it up to Kylo Ren being injured and possibly not so good with the saber since he didn't finish his training, but didn't he supposedly single handedly wipe out all of Luke's trainees and cause Luke to flee into hiding. Maybe he used blasters. Also regarding his injury he sure fought a pretty mean duel with Rey right after. Maybe he healed himself.

I just would have thought a jedi/sith would easily dispatch a non jedi/sith in hand to hand combat in like 1 or 2 swipes of his saber like literally every other jedi/sith has done to non jedi/sith in the series.

Ulrich
quote:
Okay, my bad. Im not super into all the Star Wars stuff though I did enjoy the 1st 3 as a kid. I always thought Luke spent a great deal of time training, and all jedis learned their arts by being someone's apprentice for years and years. Didn't realize it wasn't such a big deal.
Luke only trained for a few days with masters, but years passed between his first training and his fights with Vader. I doubt he stuck the Force in a closet just because Kenobi wasn't physically present.

The first time Rey picks up a lightsaber she defeats a main antagonist. I'm a Star Wars nut and I think it is a major issue unless they explain it in the next episode.
unmade bed
quote:
quote:
Luke only trained for a few days with masters, but years passed between his first training and his fights with Vader. I doubt he stuck the Force in a closet just because Kenobi wasn't physically present.

The first time Rey picks up a lightsaber she defeats a main antagonist. I'm a Star Wars nut and I think it is a major issue unless they explain it in the next episode.

I seem to recall Luke training on the Millennium Falcon, with a floating ball that shocks him. Also after Obi "dies" he is "with" Luke a lot. I just always assumed it took a ton of training to become proficient in using a light saber, but apparently they teach it in combat training for storm trooper janitors

I actually don't have a problem with Rey being a badass with the lightsaber. She looks to be one of the most powerful jedi of all time so I could buy the "force" guiding her during the fight.

I just didn't like the non jedi using a light saber. It would be like if they had Han using a saber vs Vader and managing to stay alive and not be sliced to pieces within 5 seconds.

Anyway, I'm going to see it again. I had avoided spoilers up until now and have enjoyed reading the super long threads about it here and elsewhere tonight after watching it. I do see that several other people (not just here) had some of the exact same "criticisms" that I posted so it's not like I was way out in left field. Fwiw, I posted my reactions as I walking to my car leaving the theatre without reading anything else in this thread.

Overall, I was entertained. I had just heard a lot of great reviews of the movie so I probably expected too much and was trying to be let down. It definitely did not totally suck like 1 and 2. I'm liking it about as much as 3 right now.
SanAntonioAg09
I think the Ren/Rey battle has a simple explanation. The obvious has been hashed out in this thread regarding her natural affinity for the force and his prior injuries.

I may be biased from games such as KOTOR, but the Force has multiple disciplines. Ren could be incredibly powerful with his force abilities but be weak in technique with the lightsaber. For me, the design of his lightsaber, the subtlely different hum it had, and the brashness he used when wielding it explained everything. He was number one badass in his mind, but everything about the film showed him to be a novice. In my mind, building your own lightsaber is a right of passage. Ren's lightsaber was very obviously flawed and unstable. That wasn't an accident.

He's basically a bully living in a world where he believes he has no equal. He meets one and he can't mentally/emotionally handle it. It makes perfect sense for a young dark side user to be upset and unstable when they can't just use their hatred and immense power to dominate an opponent. He will use the murder of Han and the ass whooping Rey gave him to get the reality check he needs to become more powerful.

People think they've reached their ceiling until they meet someone better than them. We've just scratched the surface of Kylo Ren's powers.
aarjon
She took out multiple guys with her staff in the beginning, so she knows how to defend herself.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
She took out multiple guys with her staff in the beginning, so she knows how to defend herself.

yes and.....

a. he was hit with a pretty serious laser blast to the hip by Chewie's bowcaster bolt - that pretty much killed anyone else and destroyed stormtrooper armor on contact.
b. fighting Finn he took a light saber wound to the shoulder that also weakened him

Kylo could have simply disabled Finn, he chose to duel him. he is obviously not very skilled with the light saber and when threatened he simple discarded him using the force.

He also earlier used the force to immobilize Rey and also threw her violently against a tree about 30 feet away....I think he could have dispatched her quite easily. He could have cut hr head off when he had her immobilized and swung his saber near her neck - but he was also after information and maybe also there is another reason he does not want to kill her (we don't know).

but for whatever reason he decided to battle her also hand to hand....when they do he actually has the upper hand for quite a while. he is pursuing her relentlessly and she is mostly dodging and blocking his attacks while retreating. He has her on the brink of defeat when she summons the force - this surprises him I think and also in his weakened state THAT, not her physical prowess or fighting skills is what allows her to knock him back and injure him in the face with a flailing saber slash.

I really don't know how anyone watched that and thought she was superior - she has some hand to hand staff fighting combat skills and used that in defense. But the force allowed her to make one move that only temporarily incapacitated an already physically depleted Kylo and then they were (conveniently) separated by a (inexplicable) separation of the ground right between their feet that created a 50 foot chasm while the ground beneath them remained solid(????).

she has surprising force strength and he knows that (even moreso now). and he is not the most skilled hand to hand saber/duel fighter. but he has demonstrated great power with the force as well.

should be a very interesting showdown going forward....i'm sure he will improve his combat skills and she will improve her mastery of the force skills.
OnlyForNow
AG
Thank you. What I've wanted to say about the "Rey kicked Kylo's ass," crowd.
GasAg90
just saw it and wasn't impressed. Thought this is just a non-imaginative remake of a New Hope. Leia sucked. When she showed up I started rooting for the dark side,

One thing that struck me is that the good guys are really good at beating the bad guys, but how can they let everything turn to **** in 30 years? I mean they make our govt look like fn geniuses.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
just saw it and wasn't impressed. Thought this is just a non-imaginative remake of a New Hope. Leia sucked. When she showed up I started rooting for the dark side,

One thing that struck me is that the good guys are really good at beating the bad guys, but how can they let everything turn to **** in 30 years? I mean they make our govt look like fn geniuses.

1. The above quoted poster sucks. Like really really bad. How dare he/she have an opinion! Let me just assure you, your opinion is wrong and you need another one.

2. I thought we were transitioning to the other Star Wars thread now that spoiler free isn't an issue anymore.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Took the girlfriend to see it this afternoon. She was pretty upset, mad, that Han died.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Took the girlfriend to see it this afternoon. She was pretty upset, mad, that Han died.

Remind her that Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo dead 32 years ago and has been pissed at Lucas since. He only agreed to do this film if Han Solo was killed.

So basically you had the choice of one last hurrah from Han Solo and he dies. Or no Han Solo at all and they just talk about him being dead offscreen.

Personally I was happy to see him one last time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Even though its what Ford may have wanted in Jedi, it would have been moronic when the first half of the movie's sole purpose was to rescue him. His death would have needed to be accompanied by The Price is Right loser music. I thought this was a good send-off.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Even though its what Ford may have wanted in Jedi, it would have been moronic when the first half of the movie's sole purpose was to rescue him. His death would have needed to be accompanied by The Price is Right loser music. I thought this was a good send-off.
Oh I agree...just saying though at this point it actually makes sense and nobody should really be surprised, plus we got to enjoy an appropriate swan song for him.
TexAgs91
AG
quote:
quote:
About a year after Endor, the Alliance laid siege to Jakku because it was the home of an Imperial weapons facility (I think that's what Battlefront says). During the space battle, Rebel commandos try to infiltrate and steal a Star Destroyer, and the Imperial captain crashes it into the planet rather than let it be stolen.

Something I noticed from my 3rd viewing...
In the beginning of the lightsaber dream sequence, Rey is in a hallway of a ship that has A-frame halls. It is shaking around as if it's being attacked and then it tilts like it's starting to go into a dive. In the beginning of the movie Rey is in the crashed Star Destroyer and it has A-frame halls.

Either she was in there, or the vision was from Luke who was in there before it went down.
TexAgBolter
AG
The hallway is from Bespin, just before Luke loses his hand and light saber.
TexAgs91
AG
It didn't look like Bespin. It looked exactly like the Death Star hallways in the beginning of the movie
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Buddy just pointed out there may be a tombstone next to Luke on the Island when he turns to meet Rey?

I didn't notice this, but will look for it next viewing (tomorrow).

If true, wonder whose grave it is....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Buddy just pointed out there may be a tombstone next to Luke on the Island when he turns to meet Rey?

I didn't notice this, but will look for it next viewing (tomorrow).

If true, wonder whose grave it is....

It's just a rock. Looks nothing like a gravestone.
TexAgBolter
AG
OnlyForNow
AG
Disagree. Did you see what the steps and building were made out of? Rocks!

I think it's a headstone. It is clearly upright, we'll all other rocks are horizontal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It didn't look like Bespin. It looked exactly like the Death Star hallways in the beginning of the movie
Yeah after seeing it a few times, I don't think that was Cloud City.
Ag Since 83
AG
I thought it looked like something from the Endor shield generator they blow up in RotJ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.