*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,075 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS#IzbcZ4u
Pretty cool that Kylo's saber's hilt is vents and not necessarily by design.
Simplebay
AG
quote:
quote:

THE CONTRIVANCES AWAKEN

If I had to point to one, glaring, overarching issue that kept me from truly enjoying the experience, it would be the series of massive, ridiculously convenient coincidences Abrams masquerades as "plot." The first 20 or so minutes had me hooked. The opening village raid (Kylo stopping that laser was one of the coolest moments of the movie), all the way through Rey and Finn meeting at the depot in Jakku, was just pitch-perfect blockbuster filmmaking. That was a nearly flawless first act. For me, though, the first signs of unraveling were when Rey and Finn just so happened upon the Millennium Falcon. Ten minutes earlier (in the film), Finn had just been told by Poe that he needed to get back to his droid on Jakku, a droid who had a map to the whereabouts of the mythical Luke Skywalker. And then soon after, on that same planet, Finn and Rey just so happen upon the very ship that began Luke Skywalker's journey all those years ago.

Did you miss the part where Han specifically said he and Chewie were looking for the Falcon in that area of space b/c it had been stolen ..... no offense, but I think your review is way off base and you're just looking to be contradictory for the sake of attention.

Abrams packed A LOT into the first film, if he'd have tried to explain Luke's saber in the film it would have added 30m, or been a quick explanation that left the audiences even less satisfied.

Ding ding
jabberwalkie09
AG
Back to speculating. I have to wonder as to who Snoke really is. Listening to the track on the score titled "Snoke" it has the male chorus thing going on in much the same way that the Emperor's Throne Room theme had in ROTJ. Perhaps this new evil that Maz spoke of, isn't really that new but instead a resurgence of the old? Not Sith, but a more original dark side presence that hadn't been revealed before? But then the question is how the motivation of Snoke differs from that of Palpatine?

I think Luke plays a bigger part in this trilogy than Yoda did. I think he will eventually have to face Snoke, and Rey will have to face Kylo again by the time Episode IX comes.

I think Finn will recover (bacta is a helluva drug) and realize that he can't run away forever, and must stand and fight. I am hoping that Poe realizes the potential Finn has shown and kind of helps him along forming a bit of a dream team/squadron/wing man type of dynamic. We had blue and red squadrons in TFA, and Poe was Black Leader. I'm looking forward to a resurrection of Rogue Squadron. (Rogue Squadron film anyone?)

Leia will drift further back into the background, going to the remaining worlds that were supportive of the Republic to gather support to fight the First Order cobbling together a fleet that is reminiscent of which we saw in ROTJ.

I think Chewie will be Rey's companion in a similar manner to how R2 was Luke's in the OT. I actually kind of prefer this over her having a droid companion. I think she has effectively inherited the Falcon, so it makes sense for Chewie to go with whoever has the Falcon IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A "buddy film" dynamic between Poe and Finn would be fantastic for the next one.
israeliag
AG
quote:
A "buddy film" dynamic between Poe and Finn would be fantastic for the next one.
<takemymoney.gif>
AgLaw
AG
quote:
If that's the case, then her first line would be "Where do you come from?"
That brings home the same point.

Rey: Where do you come from?
BB-8: Classified
Rey: Classified? Yeah, me too. I'm a big secret.

(And 83, you are correct. Her actual first line is in an alien tongue.)
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS
So, Maz's connection and affinity to the force has turned her into somewhat of a collector of force artifacts. Certainly explains why she had the lightsaber. I still think it could have been cooler for Maz to have given Rey the lightsaber with a "you don't know you are yet.. but I do," line rather than the Rey being drawn to it, but it is what it is.
BeefAg_00~
What is up with BB8's flame boner?
LeonardSkinner
On second viewing.

I'm almost completely on board with Rey not being just a scavenger. Everyone who looks at her seems to see something more, that they know more about her than she does. She understands Wookiee. Not to mention all the Force related stuff.

Watching the returning scene. Leia doesn't even look at Chewbacca and only has eyes for Rey, with whom she has shared no screen time up to that point.

Finn got friend-zoned while in a coma. Does he want some bacta for that burn?

Oh, to the BB8's thumbs-up or middle finger question, he was clearly mimicking Finn. R2-D2, on the other hand, would have flipped him off and sold him out to Rey.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
no we don't know who the mom is. Theories are that it could be Phasma and she was reconditioned when she went after Luke when he was attacked by the Knights of Ren
Right, not saying we do just what are the options (i.e. Phasma).
Here's a random thought, but seeing as how we are having Rogue One coming next year, what if one of the rebels from the theft of the plans makes it through is Felicity Jones' character?

For that matter, what if Felicity Jones' character in Rogue One is a variation of the concept of Mara Jade? I know there have been theories thrown around that Jones' character could be Boba Fett's daughter (really doubtful IMO), but Gareth Edwards has said that the movie is going to be more grey. Perhaps she will be a mole within the rebellion but have a change of heart?

If Phasma turns out to be her mother, I'll be interested in seeing how she went from being with Luke at the academy to being part of the First Order.
Satellite of Love
quote:
What is up with BB8's flame boner?
You mean the thumbs up he gave back at Fin?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I really like the idea of Chewie as Rey's companion. I forget, did he fly off to Luke's planet with her at the end?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've heard the middle finger, and now a boner?

People are trolling, right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I really like the idea of Chewie as Rey's companion. I forget, did he fly off to Luke's planet with her at the end?
Yes, he was waiting by the Falcon with R2 as Rey walked up the steps and found Luke.
BowSowy
AG
quote:
quote:
Anyone wonder why Finn, a sanitation officer for the First Order, was part of Kylo's death squad on Jakku?

Because Finn is a liar. He is ashamed of what he was and doesn't want to fess up. Or do we just assume that is the first time he had to really kill people? I am forgetting way too many details. Must watch again...
Could Finn be a mole sent by the First Order to infiltrate the Rebels?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Oh, to the BB8's thumbs-up or middle finger question, he was clearly mimicking Finn. R2-D2, on the other hand, would have flipped him off and sold him out to Rey.
I think that is a big difference between R2 an BB8. BB8 is a little bit more sarcastic in nature IMO, whereas R2 was more foul mouthed. I mean immediately after he wakes up he says something to C3P0 that made him slap him up side the dome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes, he was waiting by the Falcon with R2 as Rey walked up the steps and found Luke.
I loved R2's excited beeping when Rey is heading up the stairs.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Could Finn be a mole sent by the First Order to infiltrate the Rebels?
Doubtful. The more likely option IMO is that Poe was brainwashed during his time with Kylo being interrogated. But I also find that unlikely. I mean, I would think he would sell out the resistance in this movie if this was the case.

I'm vaguely reminded of a gif I saw prior to TFA (like around the time the second trailer came out) that had Poe slapping Finn's should with "Hail Hydra" on it.
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
no we don't know who the mom is. Theories are that it could be Phasma and she was reconditioned when she went after Luke when he was attacked by the Knights of Ren
Here's a random thought, but seeing as how we are having Rogue One coming next year, what if one of the rebels from the theft of the plans makes it through is Felicity Jones' character?

For that matter, what if Felicity Jones' character in Rogue One is a variation of the concept of Mara Jade? I know there have been theories thrown around that Jones' character could be Boba Fett's daughter (really doubtful IMO), but Gareth Edwards has said that the movie is going to be more grey. Perhaps she will be a mole within the rebellion but have a change of heart?

If Phasma turns out to be her mother, I'll be interested in seeing how she went from being with Luke at the academy to being part of the First Order.
Congratulations, this is now my favorite Star Wars theory. I don't care if she's a Mara Jade esque spy or just a normal Rebel (OK, I do care, because I want Mara Jade in these movies), but Felcity Jones being the mom would be an awesome way to tie Rogue One and the main stories together.

Although another possibility is that she's Poe's mother (and one of the Rogue One commandos is his father)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's interesting. How great would it be if the reveal of Rey's lineage was done in Rogue One? That instantly ups the ante of that movie.
Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

ok so my theory...

They are both with luke and Rey is force sensitive and being trained. Mom takes her to Jakku when they find out that the Knights of Ren are after Luke and gets mind wiped by luke before she leaves for her protection. She leaves her with the guy at the beginning of the movie that dies. Mom runs back to Luke where she is captured and reconditioned by the Knights of Ren. He doesn't know where his daughter is and doesn't go looking for her for her own safety.

This could explain how Rey already knows how to use the force or how she was able to pick up on it so quickly.
Flashdiaz
AG
with all the speculation about Rey's parents, remember, they left her on a sandy planet with a junkyard dealer who doesn't seem very nice. Also remember that sand gets everywhere and most don't like it due to its unsmooth nature.

conclusion: Rey's parents were a-holes
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Congratulations, this is now my favorite Star Wars theory. I don't care if she's a Mara Jade esque spy or just a normal Rebel (OK, I do care, because I want Mara Jade in these movies), but Felcity Jones being the mom would be an awesome way to tie Rogue One and the main stories together.

Although another possibility is that she's Poe's mother (and one of the Rogue One commandos is his father)
Exactly. My line of thinking here is that Rogue One is already going to be hugely important to the franchise in that it will show how the Death Star's plans were stolen and how the Rebellion was able to turn the tide against the Empire.

Episode VIII is going to be released in May of 2017, imagine if the revelation that her character is her mother come episode VIII. Can you imagine the shock of her being the daughter of Luke Skywalker and a spy turned rebel? Boom, mind blown.

Yes, I also have thought that Felicity Jones might play Shara Bey. I think that would actually be pretty cool as well and would give Poe's family history more depth.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Finally have a bit of a break so I thought I'd visit the thread for my review, which is not a review, just the things that I really liked about the Force Awakens. Trying to decide if I should take my super-fan. She'll have to close her eyes for sure when Han gets it.

30 Favorite Things about The Force Awakens

1. "Luke Skywalker has vanished" - was almost like reading fan fic, except I was in a packed theater. As my brother said halfway through the scroll, "at this point in the phantom menace, all we had were embargoes and tariffs."
2. Max von Sydow - like a lot of people I was immediately angry I didn't know who he was or why he knew Leia, but then I realized, who cares? She's allowed to have allies we haven't met before. His line about royalty was awesome.
3. Poe's X-Wing - just reinforcing the use of CGI vs. practical effects. There his X-wing, and it's real.
4. Poe Dameron is a total bad-ass without one microbe of Force ability. When's the last time we met someone like this? Jango Fett, to a degree, but the real answer is Han Solo. There wasn't a single person this capable in the prequels that wasn't a Jedi. Poe can shoot, he can fly, he talks sheet, and he's a bit of a diplomat.
5. Kylo Ren stops Poe's sniper bolt with the Force. 5 minutes into the movie and we've got a legitimate new use of the Force, something that NEVER happened in the prequels, unless you count "Force Speed" which Obi/Quigon used one time in the first 5 minutes of TPM, but never again.

6. Poe talking noise at Kylo about "who talks first". Loved it. No one would talk to Vader that way because his reputation preceded him. Kylo Ren not so much, especially if you knew he was the Solo kid who turned bad.
7. John Boyega's body language in his armor. How many times have we watched stormtroopers run and shoot and fall down? A lot; but he plays it so we know he's scared, he's confused, and he doesn't want to be there.
8. Two guys, one TIE fighter. It's got a back seat!
9. Rey sliding down the sand on a piece of cardboard. Loved what a simple fix that is in a world of technology.
10. The AT-AT. My 67-year-old dad said "Oh, WOW!" when they pulled back on it. Loved his reaction.

11. Kylo's first temper tantrum. Something they should have had Anakin do in the prequels.
12. The Millenium Falcon reveal and the audience reaction to it.
13. Han Solo talking his way out of the 2 pirate group situation, or trying to anyways. Fantastic, and a part of the movie I knew nothing about going in. Exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to see him doing throughout his life, with Chewie sort of shaking his head along the way.
14. Han's reaction to Rey/Finn bringing up Luke. Hell, just hearing Han SAY "Luke". I know nobody from a Star Wars movie is going to win an Oscar for acting, but tell me Harrison Ford doesn't deserve SOMETHING for the work he put into this film.
15. Han's continued use of "Big Deal" to describe Finn throughout the movie.

16. Maz calling Chewie her boyfriend, laugh out loud funny.
17. Rey suddenly in the hallway of Cloud City where Luke fought Vader. I sat up straight in my seat and GASPED at that happening, so taken aback that I missed most of the rest of the flashback, particularly the audio of Obi-Wan and Yoda talking. I can't wait to see it again solely to hear what I missed.
18. Han using Chewie's bowcaster, and asking to use it again. Total Han, very funny.
19. Hux and Ren snipping at each at each other. Hux isn't afraid of Ren. He's written the way Moff Jerjerrod originally was in ROTJ
20. Han telling Leia "I saw our son." So heart-breaking

21. 3PO's re-introduction and acting like Han might not remember him. Fantastic.
22. Ackbar!
23. Han/Leia's exchange before he leaves. Thought it was wonderful, and exactly what you'd expect of them trying to make things work after the events of the original trilogy. She's all about duty, he's all about self-preservation. Even in love, there's no way that one or the other could bend enough to change their entire life and be happy in the other's world.
24. Chewie hugging Princess Leia at the reunion. I know people are griping that they didn't hug after Han's death, but I don't really care. This moment for me was Peter Mayhew hugging Carrie Fisher and felt very, very real.
25. Kylo Ren's inner conflict, calling Vader's helmet grandfather, this dude is effed up.

26. Kylo's early reveal taking his mask off for Rey. Unexpected but awesome.
27. You... you're afraid... that you will never be as strong as Darth Vader!
28. The look on Han's face when he decides to go after Kylo. He knows he shouldn't. It's against his every instinct of survival. He knows he's going to die then and there, but he made Leia a promise. It is perhaps the most heart-breaking moment of all 7 movies for me.
29. Han and Leia named their son Ben. I don't know that doesn't choke you up.
30. I saw Luke Skywalker in a movie on Friday, and the look on his face broke my heart.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
17. Rey suddenly in the hallway of Cloud City where Luke fought Vader. I sat up straight in my seat and GASPED at that happening, so taken aback that I missed most of the rest of the flashback, particularly the audio of Obi-Wan and Yoda talking. I can't wait to see it again solely to hear what I missed.
Oh ****, that WAS Cloud City! Don't know how I missed that. Awesome.

quote:
24. Chewie hugging Princess Leia at the reunion. I know people are griping that they didn't hug after Han's death, but I don't really care. This moment for me was Peter Mayhew hugging Carrie Fisher and felt very, very real.
Agreed, this moment totally got me.
Malachi Constant
AG
Just got back from my second viewing (IMAX 3D this time)

1. IMAX 3D was pretty good. It was less distracting than I remember the last 3D I went to was. Although, as big as that IMAX screen is, it seems a lot smaller once you put on those stupid glasses. Not sure how that happens, but it seems to immerse me LESS than if it was 2D.

2. Han knew who Rey was. Maz asked "so, who's the girl" and it shows Han's face for a split second before cutting away. He had a "knowing" look.

3. Kylo says to Snoke, "She's untrained, but powerful in the force."

4. It's definitely Obi-Wan's voice in Rey's vision. I think more than ever that shes a Kenobi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds like you enjoyed the movie Muck, although you made similar lists for the prequels, so still not sure.
jackie childs
quote:
28. The look on Han's face when he decides to go after Kylo. He knows he shouldn't. It's against his every instinct of survival. He knows he's going to die then and there, but he made Leia a promise. It is perhaps the most heart-breaking moment of all 7 movies for me.
this....

we'd already seen Han observe Kylo/Ben and just leave him alone, knowing what would happen.

when Leia told him to bring back their son, you just knew he was toast.

thanks leia
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
ok so my theory...

They are both with luke and Rey is force sensitive and being trained. Mom takes her to Jakku when they find out that the Knights of Ren are after Luke and gets mind wiped by luke before she leaves for her protection. She leaves her with the guy at the beginning of the movie that dies. Mom runs back to Luke where she is captured and reconditioned by the Knights of Ren. He doesn't know where his daughter is and doesn't go looking for her for her own safety.

This could explain how Rey already knows how to use the force or how she was able to pick up on it so quickly.
Just as an FYI, I thought that Rey was left with Lor San Tekka (who Max Von Sydow played) when I saw the film the first time but seeing it a second time I think it was Unkar Plutt. So I'm not sure how Lor San Tekka plays into it other than possibly being entrusted to watch her from afar. I'm convinced that Tekka is more important to Luke, Leia, Kylo, and Rey's story and possibly show up in a flashback at some point.

As to the rest of that, I think that's plausible. I think Luke mind wiping (or perhaps just suppressing her memories) has been mentioned as a theory here several times. Maybe VIII will have kind of a remember your past moment and the memories are unlocked by Luke.
TCTTS
AG
I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly...

BIRTH.MOVIES.DEATH. / "Captain Phasma Is Not The Boba Fett Of THE FORCE AWAKENS"
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
8. Two guys, one TIE fighter. It's got a back seat!
And are now confirmed to have ejection seats if I understood the implication of the parachute correctly. Still deathtraps though.
TCTTS
AG
Another great article...

BIRTH.MOVIES.DEATH. / "8 Things STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII Must Give Us"

And just FYI, Devin Faraci, the author of that article, is good friends with Rian Johnson, the director of Episode VIII. In fact, this was Johnson's reply to Devin's tweet...

The Collective
AG
quote:

Thank you for capturing this in words more than I could. It was against everything about Han, but something you could see him doing for Leia . This is the type of maturity yet oddly also irrational behavior that comes with being in love and having a child with someone.
TCTTS
AG
I can buy this, but again, a plot point should never require this much outside explanation...

Entertainment Weekly / "J.J. Abrams explains R2-D2's closing scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.