*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,127 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
AggieSouth06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As excellent as I already think this movie was on its own, I think it becomes an even BETTER movie when viewed in context of the entire trilogy.

Consider things that would improve the continuity of Ep IV. Writing the character of the Emperor in (you would think he would at least come up in conversation at some point), establishing what the hierarchy was between Vader and the Imperial commanders, introducing the Rebellion leaders (Ackbar, etc.), foreshadowing relationships, giving an actual motivation for blowing up an entire damn planet, etc. Some of this information wouldn't have made any sense prior to the completion of the trilogy. But Ep IV was a standalone movie, and George had no idea where he was going from there.

Episode VIII is going to have a ton of "OOOOOH that's why _______ happened" moments.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Did I miss something or was the "The Force is strong in our family....." part not in the movie?

It was in Jedi.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think the quick pick of powers is more in line with the OT. All the training and being "too old" at 8 is crap from the PT.

Oh I didn't know Luke was 8 and not in his late 20s in Empire.
Luke was 19 in ANH and in his early 20s in Empire.

I didn't think their age was ever stated. I was basing it off Hamills age.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just wow. Absolutely terrific.

A couple of things, that may have been answered, but if you would indulge me:

It looks like Rey can get a glimpse of the future; the end fight scene was in her vision?

Did anyone else think it was odd that Leia and Rey hugged each other when they meet for the first time? Could this mean she recognized her aunt?

It seemed to me that the star eater planet turned back into the star it drained? That would explain why it wasn't night time back on the rebel base. On that note, I didn't like that they called it the sun.

General notes:

I was really hoping the old guy was going to be Wedge Antilles.

I think the fighting was hands down the best of any Star Wars movie, both the dog fights and the hand to hand.

Looking forward to learn all the obvious questions that they left unanswered as well as the subtle ones.

The only really cheesy thing that I didn't like was that Luke's light saber just happened to be in the bar they were at and was completely unguarded.

Thought Kylo Ren was the perfect mix of Emo and Hatred, although I would have loved to see him lose it a bit more without his helmet on, just so we could have really seen the rage on his face.

Some of Finn's lines were a little too silly to me, but I still enjoyed them.

I want more Poe Dameron.

I loved the raw power behind how they used he force, it reminded me of the video game Force Unleashed. I can't wait to see some fully trained Jedi going at it now.

I put it as the same level as Star Wars, just behind ESB.

Finally, I went into this relatively blind. I was shocked that Rey ended up being the force user and not Finn. The marketing team did a real bang up job hiding that, although the real fanboys might have known before hand. Such a great twist on my expectations.

Absolutely fantastic.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Consider things that would improve the continuity of Ep IV. Writing the character of the Emperor in (you would think he would at least come up in conversation at some point),
from A New Hope:

Grand Moff Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the Council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Madmarttigan
AG
quote:

That was the only person that popped into mind, but apparently was someone we've never really heard of.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Did I miss something or was the "The Force is strong in our family....." part not in the movie?

It was in Jedi.
The quote from the trailer is a continuation of the scene you mentioned in Jedi. he adds "you have it" after "my sister has it"
txagman1998
AG
quote:

It's my understanding that they asked Denis Lawson to reprise his role as Wedge Antilles in this movie and he declined.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
It looks like Rey can get a glimpse of the future; the end fight scene was in her vision?
I don't think that was the future, but rather was going back to Cloud City from ESB. Actually, I'm fairly positive that everything in that Force vision was completely related to the lightsaber's history and thus Luke himself.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't think that was the future, but rather was going back to Cloud City from ESB. Actually, I'm fairly positive that everything in that Force vision was completely related to the lightsaber's history and thus Luke himself.

I don't know, it seemed to me at the end of the vision she was in a forest, but it all happened pretty quickly. I may have been mistaken.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Holy ****. The movie was incredible. I cannot wait to see it again.

I know it's minor and was already mentioned but Carrie Fisher's upper lip not moving due to plastic surgery/Botox was very distracting.

And Rey is super hot. HELLO!
Batzarro
AG
Excellent movie but one gripe for gripe's sake. Despite the great acting by Harrison Ford, the murder scene of Han Solo didn't work well for me. The son didn't have an ounce of Leia or Han in his personality or looks. Also, if they're trying to set up a redemption moment for Kylo, it would be hard after killing off his own dad. It doesn't do Solo right to die like that.
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
Excellent movie but one gripe for gripe's sake. Despite the great acting by Harrison Ford, the murder scene of Han Solo didn't work well for me. The son didn't have an ounce of Leia or Han in his personality or looks. Also, if they're trying to set up a redemption moment for Kylo, it would be hard after killing off his own dad. It doesn't do Solo right to die like that.

This was my only complaint. Something didn't sit right with me after the Solo death scene and how it was treated. It seemed not worthy of the character. Agree that I can't see a redemption angle now after killing off the most beloved character in the franchise.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

on the Han Solo death several thoughts.....

a. i knew it was coming from soon after the reveal of who Kylo Ren was...suddenly i went "oh ****....yep either he is gonna sacrifice himself or Ren will just betray him.......ugh"
b. somebody HAD to die, someone of significance, otherwise it is just another happy go lucky fun George Lucas ride with all of our lovable characters.
c. its DISNEY ...again someone HAS to die particularly a parent.
d. I'm wondering if Harrison Ford himself wasn't done with it. his press tour interviews for it were odd, he really wasn't so enthralled with the entire experience and really doesn't treat star wars and Han Solo any different than any other movie he has been in. partly that may be that he has been in so many and been around the block so much. maybe he is just done. he really didn't seem to care.
e. at his age maybe Harrison and/or Abrams were worried about him carrying it any further from a physical point of view. he is significantly older than any others from the original cast (73 now). carrie is 59, mark hammill is 64.

well anyway other than that, which i really don't mind from a story narrative (although i was nearly brought to tears).....

i loved everything about it. it hit exactly the right note.

PERFECTLY cast. all of the new characters were nailed - Rey, Poe, Finn, BB-8 were all great, and Kylo was amazing i thought. Vader was so menacingly evil because he was so stoic and robotic and single minded.....Kylo Ren you could see was unstable and conflicted and deeply troubled. Thats a great new villain and a great way not to repeat the same story. He may also be completely unredeemable which is fine.

Also the story was great - the HUMAN element that was missing from the prequels was there...I cared about this new group greatly and they were lovable, yet flawed, dynamic, and their personalities came through on screen.

And Abrams had the sets and technology perfect....thank god little or no green screen crap...it felt real like the originals. BRAVO!!!! And it was rich and varied and gritty like the originals not shiny like the prequels.

Finally, it had plenty of NOSTALGIC moments but not overkill...but I want to see it again and again to catch all the little parts.

Definitely 3rd best in the franchise (maybe 2nd?) which is saying something...the first 2 were among the best ever for me......It's at least better than ROTJ and any of the prequels by far. I'm not sure if it will be 2nd best until subsequent viewings, if it has the lasting power of the first two, time will tell.

My teen kids also loved it which is saying something...my daughter had never really seen the originals all the way through not since she was tiny anyway and does not remember them completely. Now she wants to watch the entire original triilogy this weekend.

Ag Since 83
AG
I thought they did exactly what they should have done with that scene. In the middle of the battle, they slowed the movie down so we could take time to experience the death of one of the most legendary characters in film history.

It was also an intimate moment between father and son, in which in his last moments Han is trying to save not just the galaxy but his family as well. It fits in with his character arc from criminal to scoundrel-who-won't-leave-because-the-princess-is-hot to true-hero-and-family-man.

If I could change one thing about Han in the film, it would be his goodbye with Leia. I'd have him call her Your Worshipfulness, but this time as a term of endearment.
Malachi Constant
AG

Great movie. Poe Dameron agrees...
RoamingGnome
Ok I read through this whole thing. Am I wrong that no one has mentioned the line
"Droid please"
Joe Cole
quote:
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the bearded X-Wing pilot is Temmin "Snap" Wexley, one of the main characters in Aftermath.

I thought I could almost hear a groan in the crowd when people realized the spare cop from Heroes was in the movie
Silvertaps
AG
quote:

a. i knew it was coming from soon after the reveal of who Kylo Ren was...suddenly i went "oh ****....yep either he is gonna sacrifice himself or Ren will just betray him.......ugh"
b. somebody HAD to die, someone of significance, otherwise it is just another happy go lucky fun George Lucas ride with all of our lovable characters.
d. I'm wondering if Harrison Ford himself wasn't done with it. his press tour interviews for it were odd, he really wasn't so enthralled with the entire experience and really doesn't treat star wars and Han Solo any different than any other movie he has been in. partly that may be that he has been in so many and been around the block so much. maybe he is just done. he really didn't seem to care.
e. at his age maybe Harrison and/or Abrams were worried about him carrying it any further from a physical point of view. he is significantly older than any others from the original cast (73 now). carrie is 59, mark hammill is 64.

To clarify...Han dying wasn't an issue with me. I actually like the "no one is safe" concept. My issue was how it happened.
Ambres
AG
I agree that the death of Han seemed off..

I think it would have been better if Leia went with them on the mission.. and she had a small duel with Ren.. and similar to Empire Strike Back.. then when Ren is about to kill his mother.. he stops. .. Han tries to talk reason to him.. he seems to be listening then.. Wham..stabs Han.. before he can strike Leia.. Chewie shots him and .. they flee..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I agree that the death of Hans seemed off..

I think it would have been better if Leia went with them on the mission.. and she had a small duel with Ren.. and similar to Empire Strike Back.. then when Ren is about to kill his mother.. he stops. .. Hans tries to talk reason to him.. he seems to be listening then.. Wham..stabs Hans.. before he can strike Leia.. Chewie shots him and .. they flee..
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

To clarify...Han dying wasn't an issue with me. I actually like the "no one is safe" concept. My issue was how it happened.
ok...and i wasn't arguing it or really replying to you in any way...there were several discussions on Han's death. Thats why I did not reply to you directly. My comments were in general.

The Debt
I got the vibe the chick is a solo. That's why kylo wouldn't kill her or really hurt her when he didn't get info from her. He was conflicted about his feelings toward her. The world separating them when breaking apart. His push to the emperor to convert her. For a dude that doesn't like his own parents, why would he care about his parents neice? Or even Luke's daughter, he doesn't like luke either.

Han wanting to keep her close like a daughter. Her engineering prowess, Luke wasn't like that. He was a dummy when it came to how things work "what's that flashing?!" One could claim anakin knew how things worked, but jj abrahams seemed to try and ignore the prequels with this film.

Which brings me to the how did she take the lightsaber from a trained force user. This goes back to the f up of the prequels and midichlorians. As the jedi are presented in the prequels, mastery of the force is something like a multiple certification programs. It's something to be quantified and understood.
Swordplay: __acceptable__
Mindreading: __failed__
Force push: __acceptable__

In the original SW, the fights weren't about how skilled you are with a lightsaber but rather your oneness with the Force. Two masters Vader and kenobi weren't jumping off the rafters at each other. Luke tapping into the dark side was the only way to defeat his father in rotj.

So the moment the girl was reminded to be one with the force....she channeled the winning ability to defeat kylo. When you are one with the force, it moves you, not the other way around (as kenobi explained, but it can also take your commands)
ElCheAg
AG
Enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Kylo was hurt, I didn't quite believe how Finn was able to sword fight Kylo as long as he did. Figured a Jedi/Sith/etc. could handle a mere storm trooper with ease (i.e. in a few seconds).

(Maybe Finn does have a bit of Force within him?)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
...on the Harrison Ford/Han Solo topic and Ford wanting to be done with it.....

I came across this article ad some video links which showed some old footage clearly showing Fords disdain for the character (at least at the time of ROTJ) and thinking he should have died then...

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/19/10624632/star-wars-force-awakens-spoilers

I think maybe he was finally happy to come back and do it one more time ONLY so he could kill him off. He probably only agreed to it with that stipulation and with Lucas out of the picture (so to speak) he trusted Abrams to do it. Really obvious in interviews for this one that he really didn't care that much although he could not give away the big plot spoiler of Ren's parentage or Han's death. He just made appearances and barely talked about it.

I think this also might be a big reason why Lucas is so "divorced" from it as he has made statements recently to that effect.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Enjoyed it.

Despite the fact that Kylo was hurt, I didn't quite believe how Finn was able to sword fight Kylo as long as he did. Figured a Jedi/Sith/etc. could handle a mere storm trooper with ease (i.e. in a few seconds).

I'm pretty certain he does. Remember in the Falcon, he and Rey seemed to have a connection on when to do certain things.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Enjoyed it.

I'm pretty certain he does. Remember in the Falcon, he and Rey seemed to have a connection on when to do certain things.

also remember Kylo Ren seems to sense him on the first raid of the village when he stops to look at him and later knows his designation letters/numbers.....and he is not surprised that he was the one who stole the ship and helped Poe escape.
Ewok It Out08
AG
My take:

1) Han died because he didn't shoot first.

2) I believe Kylo was hitting his wound to cause more pain, believing it would allow him more power.

3) I really hope and believe Rey will be trained to use a duel bladed light saber like Darth Maul's.
Maveric
AG
Anyone else notice at the end of the movie that Rey's staff seems to have lightsaber hilts on each end?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the bearded X-Wing pilot is Temmin "Snap" Wexley, one of the main characters in Aftermath.

I thought I could almost hear a groan in the crowd when people realized the spare cop from Heroes was in the movie
Trivia for the day, since someone here probably doesn't know.

He and JJ Abrams have been friends since they were kids. He's had some role in almost every one of his projects.

Going from being in your buddy's homemade movies to having him direct you in Star Wars is a pretty crazy ride.
AliasMan02
AG
One element of Han's death that I think is being overlooked and will be important later on is his small victory over Kylo when he plants the seed of doubt about Snoke.

It's clear during the lightsaber duel that Kylo has no intention of turning Rey over to Snoke as ordered. I think that is the direct result of Han's last words.
fig96
AG
Something a friend mentioned related to Han's death that bothered me as well.

When the Falcon got back after he'd been killed, Chewie walked right past Leia. You would think that they would share a moment there.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

When the Falcon got back after he'd been killed, Chewie walked right past Leia. You would think that they would share a moment there.

I mentioned it up in my summary, but I thought even weirder is that Rey and Leia hug each other, despite supposedly meeting each other for the first time. Any hidden meaning y'all think?
ElCheAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Enjoyed it.

also remember Kylo Ren seems to sense him on the first raid of the village when he stops to look at him and later knows his designation letters/numbers.....and he is not surprised that he was the one who stole the ship and helped Poe escape.

I really hope Finn turns out to be Mace Windu's grand kid (or something), and somewhere in Episode VIII (holding a gun at someone) says:

fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

I mentioned it up in my summary, but I thought even weirder is that Rey and Leia hug each other, despite supposedly meeting each other for the first time. Any hidden meaning y'all think?
That worked for me, this young girl shows up after a crazy experience and Leia's maternal instinct kicked in.

Now, is it also a sign that Leia might also have sensed who she was, whoever that may be? Quite possibly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.