*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,740 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have we discussed the "Droid, please!" line in the movie?
TelcoAg
AG
Anyone wonder why Finn, a sanitation officer for the First Order, was part of Kylo's death squad on Jakku?
The Collective
AG
quote:
Anyone wonder why Finn, a sanitation officer for the First Order, was part of Kylo's death squad on Jakku?

Because Finn is a liar. He is ashamed of what he was and doesn't want to fess up. Or do we just assume that is the first time he had to really kill people? I am forgetting way too many details. Must watch again...
The Collective
AG
Or maybe Finn was telling the truth, from a certain point of view... cleaning up "rebel" scum.
redd38
AG
quote:
No, I would imagine all the other storm troopers had other non-fighting jobs as well.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I commented on a similar question a few pages back, I have always likened Stormtroopers to the Marines. Every trooper is a rifleman. And actually, that works if you thinking about it.
zgood10
AG
quote:
quote:
No, I would imagine all the other storm troopers had other non-fighting jobs as well.
No kidding. There's probably troopers who patrol the same hallway for years.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I kind of did too. I figured this was a promotion / maybe everyone has to fight at some point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Seen it twice and still haven't caught that. Who says it and when?

Han saying "move ball" was pretty great though.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Seen it twice and still haven't caught that. Who says it and when?

Han saying "move ball" was pretty great though.
Finn when Rey is trying to fix the ship, and Finn is trying to convince BB-8 to tell her the location of the base.
My Dad Earl
AG
quote:
He mentioned later on that it was his first combat mission, so maybe he moved from sanitation over to combat.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
We already know from the comics that Poe lived near that force tree, right?

Definitely has to have some force-ability.
I also wouldn't be surprised to eventually find out that him being a force sensitive x-wing pilot is based conceptually on Corran Horn, but now set in a post-ROTJ story line.
I wouldn't have liked that idea initially, since Corran is my favorite EU character, but I think I could grow to like it. Poe's initial scene with Kylo was vintage Corran/Ysanne Isard banter.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Because Finn is a liar. He is ashamed of what he was and doesn't want to fess up. Or do we just assume that is the first time he had to really kill people? I am forgetting way too many details. Must watch again...
He acted like someone that was seeing combat for the first time. He's frozen by his buddy dying in front of him, and clearly isn't on board with the slaughtering of innocents.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it definitely felt like that was his first time in the field.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As soon as we saw the exchange between Poe and Kylo ("Who talks first, you talk first or I talk first?") I instantly knew the tone was back to where it needed to be. Star Wars was always supposed to be funny.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I wasn't too educated on who Rian Johnson is, so I looked him up just now. Homeboy directed three of the best episodes of a little show called Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad (TV Series) (3 episodes)
- Ozymandias (2013)
- Fifty-One (2012)
- Fly (2010)

I now have total faith in him

Is fly the episode where they chase a fly around all day? If so, that was the worst BB episode hands down.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
He mentioned later on that it was his first combat mission, so maybe he moved from sanitation over to combat.
I didn't recall him saying that, so that's good to know for sure.

Yeah, I mean clearly he was a soldier called up to go into combat. What felt a little off was how they made a big deal about how they vette their soldiers, check their weapons, etc., yet allowed an untested trooper to be part of the crew going with their field commander here.

I just chuckled at this after the movie because it's an example of how unorganized and limited the resources of the First Order were supposed to be at this point, given the backstory. The starkiller certainly made them look they had their **** together, though.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
As soon as we saw the exchange between Poe and Kylo ("Who talks first, you talk first or I talk first?") I instantly knew the tone was back to where it needed to be. Star Wars was always supposed to be funny.
Finn :"I know.. we'll use the force!"
Han: ... "That's not how this works!"

Best damn exchange in the movie.
The Collective
AG
quote:
He acted like someone that was seeing combat for the first time. He's frozen by his buddy dying in front of him, and clearly isn't on board with the slaughtering of innocents.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it definitely felt like that was his first time in the field.

No, I think you are right here. I need to watch again.
80s Guy
quote:

My son poked me in the ribs and quoted the commercial, "That's not how any of this works!"
Ulrich
I don't really disagree with most of TCTTS's criticisms, but I think they are part of seeing the first third of a giant sprawling epic space fantasy that has a number of things it has to accomplish that get in the way of being a flawless movie from a storytelling point of view. I see it as a series of tradeoffs rather than a straight failure.

It has to be in the future to transition to a new generation of characters, but it still needs to pay homage to the old ones. Hence lots of abrupt introductions. It needs to explain what happened in the intervening 30 years without being STAR WARS: The Force Exposits, so you get some clunky dialogue that the characters wouldn't have needed (although I think TCTTS might be giving the average person a little too much credit; people rehash things they already know everyone knows in conversation all the time). It needs to reassure everyone that this is really STAR WARS, so it rehashes the plots. It's a huge epic, so you can't explain everything all at once or again you end up with VII being too much explanation. It's character driven as Star Wars always should be, so we don't get a ton of detail about the politics.

I think the fact that Abrams chose to focus on the fans and audience rather than the more technical plot construction and dialogue details are why so many people, including TCTTS, really liked it even with its faults. Future movies will undoubtedly be more organic, cohesive stories, and that will be in part because Ep VII made the choices it did.
israeliag
AG
My two main quibs I had watching it:

• Why wasn't Poe made to be Wedge Antilles son?!
  • Why didn't they bring Y-Wings to the assault on the Starkiller?!

Other than that - can't wait to rewatch it!

Having played star wars video games, it was incredible to finally see Chewie's crossbow get the treatment it properly deserved!
AgDev01
AG
quote:
quote:

Which also ties into why Rey had the thought to mind control the Storm Trooper. They grew up hearing stories and legends about the jedi and the force, once they realized it was more than legend they started to attempt the things they heard.
Urban Ag
AG
I would just like to take a moment to point something out.

Most of us on this thread saw the OT as children. I was 3.5 years old when I saw Star Wars in 1977. I was 9.5 years old six years later when I saw ROTJ. Our views, remembrances, recollections of what Star Wars was/is are based on our experiences as children.

We do not view the world as children any longer. You can not see a movie, experience a movie, as you did as a child.

I can't hide my emotions from wife and kids. They know me too well. They know I was disappointed. And I admit, I was. But with a good night of sleep and a little time to ponder, I realize there was probably was no way this movie could have met the expectations I had for it and a lot of those expectations were emotional. I wanted to emotionally re-connect to my childhood and have come to the conclusion that notion was whimsical fantasy on my part.

Kill the boy John Snow.

As you are out and about this holiday season take note of something. Star Wars is everywhere and it is everywhere primarily for kids. Not us. Not for 42 year old grown ass men. It's mostly for my kids, not me. Again, kill the boy John.

This movie had a lot of flaws. I feel no need to rehash them. But it was also very, very, good. It was an absolute blast. My kids loved it. I had a great time. Daisey Ridley stole it for me. She was perfect. Ford was awesome. It sets up so well for VIII to be dark and sinister like ESB as Kylo and Knights of Ren pursue Rey and Luke, at least, that is what I figure happens next.

My two cents/TLDR, I get it.

israeliag
AG
Sorry if this was posed already, as it is crazy how long this thread already is, but:

Is R2-D2 The Force that awakens (I mean he literally wakes up)? Is he a force-sensitive droid? Or perhaps a manifestation of the force?

I'm trying to think back, and he has been insanely lucky (which could be thought of being guided by the force).
israeliag
AG
quote:
I wanted to emotionally re-connect to my childhood and have come to the conclusion that notion was whimsical fantasy on my part.
I got that out of my experience. I nearly cried when R2 was shown to be in low-power mode, when Han bit it and Leia felt it, and when Luke showed up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, I got a little emotional when Chewie hugged Leia. No idea why.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
So, why did they go to Maz's in the first place? wasn't it to get a 'clean' ship? Maybe i'm missing something but they didn't exactly avoid using the Falcon after that... they used it to sneak onto the first order planet and they used it to go find Luke (both times they could have used a different ship). Two major blunders if the Falcon was being tracked.

Maybe, Han just needed an excuse to see Maz. Maybe he knew the lightsaber was there and was taking Rey to it because he knows more about her than we know at this point. </crazytheory>

I didn't take it as the Falcon was actually being tracked as much as it is a unique ship and if someone sees it they will automatically know it is Solo and the Wookie.

EDIT: I completely forgot Solo mentioned he was able to track it after Rey and Finn acquired it.

Corellian freighters like the MF are supposed to be fairly common. It's the Firefly class of the Star Wars 'verse.
Satellite of Love
quote:
quote:
quote:
No kidding. There's probably troopers who patrol the same hallway for years.
Man if that's the case, I would have jumped off the ledge in the StarKiller where Rey was free climbing a long time ago...
jeffdjohnson
Things I liked:

I don't remember much (any?) blood in Episodes 1-6 of the series. Even Luke getting his arm chopped off was bloodless. I thought it was a really interesting choice to show blood on FN's stormtropper helmet right away. Seemed to raise the stakes a little.

I loved Kylo Ren's voice when he was wearing the mask. It had a sinister sound that really worked for me. I'm also glad that they didn't make him overly emo. Good job by Adam Driver not to go full on crybaby like Hayden Christensen. Although Lucas deserves 95% of the blame for that choice.

I really appreciated the lived in feel to the visuals. The downed ships and AT-AT's in the desert gave things a sense of history. The Millennium Falcon looked dusty and downright grimy as one would expect. All of the weird alien's at Lupita's castle were interesting and added to the ambiance. Great job of world building through set design and animation.

Things I didn't like:

Mainly the same general comments that others have made about plot convenience. It didn't ruin the movie for me but I can't help but notice these things now that I'm in my 30's. I never would have noticed these things at the age of 10.

1) FN crash lands on a planet then briefly montages his way to BB-8 and Rey.
Attempted Apology - Maybe they were trying to land in that very town before they crashed. That would explain why FN didn't have to montage very long.

2) Han Solo is the first to encounter the Millennium Falcon after they escape.
Attempted Apology - Han installed a tracking device to alert him where the ship was when activated.

3) Han Solo takes Rey to the exact spot where Luke's lightsaber is being kept.
Attempted Apology - Han figured out Rey's significance and knew he had to take her there to retrieve it.

4) Kylo Ren was holding Rey hostage at the same facility that Han and FN were trying to blow up. Also Han and FN were able to spot Rey before the Stormtroopers.
Attempted Apology - FN knew where Kylo keeps people hostage. Which also happened to be the same base that they needed to blow up. Also the force and stuff.

Overall:

Definitely enjoyable and will watch again before the next one comes out. As I've gotten older I tend to enjoy smarter and darker science fiction. Things like Ex Machina, Interstellar and Black Mirror. But there are literally billions ($) of reasons why this franchise won't "grow" with its audience. This franchise gave me a love of science fiction at age 10 and it undoubtedly will do the same for young kids today. I can't quite say that loved it but I did like it a lot. Either way I'm glad this franchise is back.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
yes! And as someone pointed out 30 pages ago Poe probably knew Kylo as Han and Leia's whiny emo kid from the old days so the line was coated in disrespect.

With Harrison Ford gone will a lot of pressure will be on Oscar Isaac to carry the movie or will there be a new character to fill the role? Or will they not go there. It will be a big discussion point
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I would just like to take a moment to point something out.

Most of us on this thread saw the OT as children. I was 3.5 years old when I saw Star Wars in 1977. I was 9.5 years old six years later when I saw ROTJ. Our views, remembrances, recollections of what Star Wars was/is are based on our experiences as children.

We do not view the world as children any longer. You can not see a movie, experience a movie, as you did as a child.

I can't hide my emotions from wife and kids. They know me too well. They know I was disappointed. And I admit, I was. But with a good night of sleep and a little time to ponder, I realize there was probably was no way this movie could have met the expectations I had for it and a lot of those expectations were emotional. I wanted to emotionally re-connect to my childhood and have come to the conclusion that notion was whimsical fantasy on my part.

Kill the boy John Snow.

As you are out and about this holiday season take note of something. Star Wars is everywhere and it is everywhere primarily for kids. Not us. Not for 42 year old grown ass men. It's mostly for my kids, not me. Again, kill the boy John.

This movie had a lot of flaws. I feel no need to rehash them. But it was also very, very, good. It was an absolute blast. My kids loved it. I had a great time. Daisey Ridley stole it for me. She was perfect. Ford was awesome. It sets up so well for VIII to be dark and sinister like ESB as Kylo and Knights of Ren pursue Rey and Luke, at least, that is what I figure happens next.

My two cents/TLDR, I get it.

I agree somewhat. There's just no way to make me feel like I did when I was 6 years old and thought that Jedi's were the coolest thing ever and was filled with so much wonder when Luke found out he was meant to be a jedi.

I will say however, the scene that got to me the most and made me just about tear up with happiness was when Rey was handing Luke his lightsaber. I know it was more like a Japanese anime the way that scene was filmed but it really got to me. The notion that Luke had tried to run away and hide from the force. From his friends who he turned down a chance to rule the galaxy with his Father for. He was being called back into being the hero I grew up loving my whole childhood.
7nine
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Corellian freighters like the MF are supposed to be fairly common. It's the Firefly class of the Star Wars 'verse.
The YT-1300 has been in service as freighters since at least the final days of the Galactic Republic (remember there was a YT-1300 in ROTS). That means that the Falcon can be anywhere between 34ish to 50ish years old at this point if my math is right. That's pretty old. I'd hazard a guess that there aren't too many still flying around in the galaxy that are as serviceable as the Falcon is. Just my thoughts on that.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I don't remember much (any?) blood in Episodes 1-6 of the series. Even Luke getting his arm chopped off was bloodless. I thought it was a really interesting choice to show blood on FN's stormtropper helmet right away. Seemed to raise the stakes a little.

I remember thinking, "that's a really cool way to differentiate this guy from every other stormtrooper in the scene." It was well done.

Also, I'm not even mad about Death Star 3. Yeah it was blown up, again, but it took out 5 planets. It had 5x the success of the original, so that has to count for something.
AgLaw
AG
Does Rey have any lines before she rescues BB-8? I'm pretty sure she's completely silent until that scene. If so, she has a pretty interesting first line (after BB-8 says his name and mission are classified): "Classified? Yeah, me too. I'm a big secret."
The Marine Biologist
AG
quote:
quote:

I remember thinking, "that's a really cool way to differentiate this guy from every other stormtrooper in the scene." It was well done.

Also, I'm not even mad about Death Star 3. Yeah it was blown up, again, but it took out 5 planets. It had 5x the success of the original, so that has to count for something.

And upon second viewing, I noticed it didn't explode as much as it became a star. It definitely stabilizes as a star as the scene ends. Pretty cool IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.