*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,106 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry...I'm sure this has been covered a few times on a 50 page thread, but exactly why is the franchise using different directors from TFA, to 8 to 9?

If JJ did a great job, and he clearly says the script is amazing...why had it already been a forgone conclusion that Rian (or whoever) was going to be given the reigns?

1 2 3 were NOT great movies imo. JJ at least did what others have said: revive the series and give it a great foundation to build on. I felt this is what happened with Star Trek, which I personally loved watching (the reboot).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, you'll never hear anyone argue that the PT had better characters.

Except this guy of course.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've heard JJ say in interviews that it's because Star Wars is "bigger than all of us", and he's right. It's not something that's ever yours, it's something you contribute to, and pass it on. I can see where he's coming from.

As long as the overarching story is being handled by the same story group (which it is), and you're getting good writers/directors, it's all good.

Look at it like the MCU.
Texaggie7nine
Duh, JJ only does Pilots.
7nine
Knife_Party
Episodes 4,5 and 6 had different directors. They turned out ok. I think Star Wars is in good hands with Disney and Kennedy.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
what am I missing at 2:30? Palpatine's scar?

I recommend watching the whole thing, but ~2:30, when Obi starts describing the force to Luke, is what I was referring to.
Texaggie7nine
Ani is going down on palp.
7nine
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
Episodes 4,5 and 6 had different directors. They turned out ok. I think Star Wars is in good hands with Disney and Kennedy.

Still can't believe we used to say that George Lucas "Disneyfied" the prequels. Turned out to be a real insult to Disney.
AliasMan02
AG
So, in an attempt to grasp at every bit of Star Wars available, I've started reading the junior novels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't know where else to put this.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
If JJ did a great job, and he clearly says the script is amazing...why had it already been a forgone conclusion that Rian (or whoever) was going to be given the reigns?

1 2 3 were NOT great movies imo. JJ at least did what others have said: revive the series and give it a great foundation to build on.
Well let's remember that in 1, 2, 3, and 4 Lucas wrote and directed the films. In 5 and 6 he had help writing, and didn't direct. I have no issue with Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow taking over from here on out. Johnson wrote and directed a hell of a film for Looper and worked with some good talent (Joseph Gordon Levitt and Emily Blunt). Trevorrow directed Jurassic World and I think did a pretty decent job.

quote:
I felt this is what happened with Star Trek, which I personally loved watching (the reboot).
Interesting you say this. I liked the 2009 film as the friendships between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were more important in the film. Into Darkness (which JJ didn't write, but did admit to nudging the writers in a certain direction) just failed in capturing that same spark IMO. Even in ST: II the relationship between the three was important as Kirk would later remark on in ST: V that they are family. In fact, one reason that Spock's death worked so well and made an impact in TWOK was because of their friendship.

Quote from ST: V-
Spock: I've lost a brother.
Kirk: Yes. I lost a brother once. I was lucky to get him back.
McCoy: I thought you said that men like us don't have families.
Kirk: I was wrong.
evan_aggie
AG
What am I looking at here? A young Boyega with Ian McKellon?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Gandalf is part of the First Order?!
evan_aggie
AG
Looper.

Hah, when you said that, I was about to say, what in the hell are you talking about? That film was not great! And then I realized I was thinking of Jumper, and Looper was WAY better.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, that's Finn and Gandalf.

And to make us all feel old: pretty sure that was taken after LOTR came out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Right after that photo was taken, Boyega said to Gandalf, "Don't let them make the Hobbit into three movies, they'll all suck."
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Right after that photo was taken, Boyega said to Gandalf, "Don't let them make the Hobbit into three movies, they'll all suck."
"I have foreseen it."
Texaggie7nine
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/theres-an-emo-kylo-ren-twitter-account-and-its-totally-perfe#.bf32KkZmm
7nine
InternetFan02
AG

jr15aggie
AG
2nd viewing in 15 minutes (with my kids this time... And my wife came back for a 2nd viewing too.. Awesome!)

Theater is getting pretty full. Probably 70 people here and more still coming. Pretty amazimg for a 3:45 Tuesday showing!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
testing

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Random: Went to see it again last night. When Ackbar showed up for the first time, a guy in the audience goes "It's a trap!"

Greatness.
fig96
AG
Emo Kylo Ren is amazing.

He follows two people: Darth Vader and Hot Topic.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Emo Kylo Ren is amazing.

He follows two people: Darth Vader and Hot Topic.

Hot Topic is a person?
JJxvi
AG
Hot Topic has a twitter account...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Hot Topic has a twitter account...

Hot topic is a store...where you can buy retro SW stuff....and it has a twitter account.
jeffk
AG
Quit mansplaining Hot Topix.
Carlo4
AG
Mind blown. Fan theory on Kylo. He's actually a good guy all along.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/seriously-dont-click-this-if-you-havent-seen-tfa-yet#.yv38yqPerj
evan_aggie
AG
Dude is tripping with all of HIS CAPS!!!
JJxvi
AG
This is the Kylo Ren = Snape theory right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
This is the Kylo Ren = Snape theory right?
Pretty much. Except that Kylo actually killed a lot of people, and you know, Han.

I have a hard time buying that theory when you have him cutting down Tekka at the start of the film for no reason at all, and then ordering the slaughtering of the village on Jakku. This is supposed to be the actions of a good guy? Yeah..... OK.....
evan_aggie
AG
Lol. Like i said....dude just ate some shrooms or did a line and then posted a bunch of hooey.
AggieSouth06
quote:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/seriously-dont-click-this-if-you-havent-seen-tfa-yet#.yv38yqPerj

Nah he's definitely an emo little peehole. Listening to Maul-out Boy alone in the dark because dad doesn't understand how totes Sithy he is.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:

I think this is one of the worst fan theories I've read so far.

If anything, Snoke is the one trying to balance the scales. One of the reasons he seduced Kylo to begin with is his blood lines capability to utilize both the dark and light side with tremendous power.

I'd buy that smoke is trying to balance the force by illuminating both the sith and the Jedi, but not so much Kylo
TelcoAg
AG
I did find the part of Kylo asking Rey to join him pretty interesting, given the rule of two and all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.