*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

358,079 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Rey's vision, you hear the voice of Alec Guinness say "Rey". Right after that, you hear whispering as the vision ends. It's the voice of Ewan McGregor saying "These are your first steps."
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Not worth a new thread, but how about we all go on the record as to Rey's lightsaber color.

Pink. For midichlorian cancer awareness.
Well played from page 18... Haha
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Some out there theories I have... I haven't read anyone else's theories on the Internet, these are just ones I've thought about after seeing it twice:

1. Rey is actually "in the know" somewhat - not completely ignorant she lets on. Maybe it's just Daisy Riders eager face, but when she listens to Finn describe how he's part of the resistance she almost has this face of "oh yeah, right, do go on... Like she already knows he's not but wants to see how far he's going to take his story"... Leia obviously "knows" her for real or through the Force. She says she's waiting for someone on Jakku but does that necessarily mean her family?

2. Darth Vader's dark side force ghost appeared to Kylo at some point in the past. He specifically says "Show me AGAIN, the power of the dark side so that I won't be tempted by the light" or some such... He definitely says "show me again"... I think when he went to retrieve the mask from Endor, he encountered the dark Force ghost of Darth Vader... Possibly.

3. We've met Snoke before, and he's not as powerful as the Emperor and probably not even a Sith, but a pretender who has some force abilities and enough real-world power and persuasion to convince Kylo and his knights to fight for him and his motives. He has discovered some secrets to the Force and the dark side, but isn't very good with it himself.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Also, I don t know if you noticed but when Finn says they always called him FN2187; my first thought was since birth, they mentioned conditioning programs, etc. Also, if you notice, nearly ALL of the young officers and troopers are young early to mid 20s... No old guys on the First Order side, except one 30s- something commander and CPT Phasma...

also, when later discussing FN2187 and how he had been sent to Phasma's division and screened for reconditioning, Gen Hux (also young) has a computer screen up showing baby faces and (probably) a toddler Finn is on the screen... It's off to the left while he's scrolling through baby faces discussing the reconditioning program.
JJxvi
AG
He mustve died while carving it!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
West Texan
AG
In the theater for viewing #2!
dreyOO
Just saw it. Liked it. Didnt love it. Would watch again.

Coming from a non-star wars fanboy:

Han and chewy were great. Rae was good. Fin was good, but some of his dialog seemed bad for the movie. Might be funny now, but it won't age well.

Kylo Ren was a good bad guy. But then he seemed to be an adolescent more than a badass.

The plot had some recycled elements. Not sure why they literally just made a bigger death star.

Biggest gripe by far is that Ren is studying the dark side for years and is supposed to be a badass....And then gets crushed by a girl half his size that didnt even know the force was real, had no training, etc. And after all the bull**** about training annakin as a child so that it could be done right.

But I did enjoy it. This definitely refreshed the franchise.
birdman
Ben Kenobi could had a sibling. Ray could be his great niece.
redline248
AG
quote:
Biggest gripe by far is that Ren is studying the dark side for years and is supposed to be a badass....And then gets crushed by a girl half his size that didnt even know the force was real, had no training, etc. And after all the bull**** about training annakin as a child so that it could be done right.

I really don't have a problem with her beating him, except the fact that he can freeze people with the force. Why would he ever need to fight someone with his lightsaber?
redline248
AG
quote:
Ben Kenobi could had a sibling. Ray could be his great niece.

If so, how would anyone ever know? Obi Wan was taken from his family as a baby.
M.C. Swag
AG
Nobody else wonder why in the entire Star Wars universe the only humans who can communicate/understand Chewbacca are Han Solo.....and Rey. Coincidence?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

I really don't have a problem with her beating him, except the fact that he can freeze people with the force. Why would he ever need to fight someone with his lightsaber?
I would assume that dueling with a lightsaber requires all of your force concentration, and you can't force freeze someone while in the middle of fighting.

/fanboy justification
Knife_Party
I assume it's difficult to use force abilities on other force users. Watch the Anakin/Kenobi duel, Yoda/Sidious duel, and Yoda/Dooku duel for evidence.

Regarding the Ren/Rey duel, remember that Kylo had been shot by a powerful bowcaster and slashed up a bit by Finn before Rey and his duel even started.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Easter egg for the day that I don't think has been mentioned.

I knew Simon Pegg was in the film but thought he was just an extra walking around on Jakku. Turns out he played Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer who wants to buy BB-8.

Also, I am 95-99% sure that voice was very familiar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the voice of the Goblin King from the Hobbit, or one of the Mountain Trolls / Ogres from the Hobbit.

I'll have to research that.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Saw it again today and enjoyed it much more.

That being said, i realized episodes 4, and 7 have a major flaw in them. Why not just fly a ship faster than light through the Death Star/Star Killer? You wouldn't even need to bother with the bombing runs.

They played pretty fast and loose with how Hyperspace works in Ep 7.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't care about scientific accuracy in Star Wars. Just the thought of a Death Star is stupid.
AliasMan02
AG
Second viewing thoughts.

- it was more emotional for me this time. The big moments landed harder.
- Rey was definitely left with Plutt on Jakku. His hand is clearly visible holding her in the vision.
- Rey was definitely getting her ass kicked before she opened herself to the Force.
- Kylo isn't supposed to be a badass. He's still a novice with talent and potential. His crude lightsaber and Snoke's discussion about completing his training after Ren beats Kylo are good exidence of that.
- Luke's face is one of disappointment when he sees Rey. Maybe not unexpected, but saddened by her arrival. Will be interesting to see how he reacts to the idea of training her.
Philip J Fry
AG
Any idea why Luke is using a hand that doesn't look human like he did in ROTJ?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

His hand was damaged but functional in Jedi. I figured it just wore away and never replaced.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

Perhaps as a reminder not to become his father.
Donald Glover
AG
We should expect Rey to lose a hand/arm if she turns out to be Luke's daughter...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I thought the scene was rather thinly veiled as to what was going to happen next.

The moment the camera scene showed Han walking to Kylo with the beam of light, you absolute had to know it was going to vanish while they met, especially with the device near fully charged.

Btw, not that it matters, but is there any context as to the extent of damage that the republic sustained? It looked like 4-5 planets, which i assume were all republic supporters, and billions of people?
The senate is currently on the main planet, so if it was in session, most of the government leaders probably died. Supposedly the existing New Republic fleet, drastically downsized after the destruction of the second Death Star, was also there and also got destroyed. So a bit like if Japan had blown up Washington DC and Pearl Harbor at the same time. It would seem to be a total act of war and turn all New Republic and Resistance resources against the First Order.
On my 2nd watch, i clearly saw several mon calamari cruisers and dreadnaught style ships explode around the main planet that was destroyed.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
So I finally saw it last night. Loved it, but a little bit of my childhood died though.

This may or may not have been discussed, but the only negative I heard coming out of the movie was my19 year old nephew. He basically said, I don't want to see any more girl power movies.
He's wrong, Rey is badass, and she held her own, mostly,because she was believable and they didn't make t a point to call out that she was a girl kicking ass... She was just kick ass and didn't need to say anything about it, she let her actions and abilities do her talking. The Force evens the playing field , essentially.
redline248
AG
quote:
Luke's face is one of disappointment when he sees Rey. Maybe not unexpected, but saddened by her arrival. Will be interesting to see how he reacts to the idea of training her.

I still think it's nothing more than sadness over Han. He's also probably aware that she was there to witness Han.
AggieSouth06
Saw it a second time today. I liked it more the second time for sure. It was more emotional because I wasn't watching it academically anymore. Kinda just let it wash over me.

I also noticed things that connected some of the dots. As someone above said, the destruction of the planets destroyed a large fleet of military ships that I didn't notice the first time. Also, during the aftermath meeting, C-3PO says, "Without our fleet we have no chance." That's when Poe basically says to just throw everything at them.

Anyway... Love it. Really good.
Cyp011
AG
Luke is sad bc he went to great lengths to keep her out
Of the conflict. Seeing her made him realize their is no denying the destiny of a Skywalker. As the force found him it has found Rey. He is sad as he realizes the road in front of her...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Does anyone know what the alien species was on the main planet that was destroyed - looked like the old things from the Dark Crystal or the pedofile puppet from Your Highness ... I believe there was one in the resistance base as well... At first I thought Bothan but then realized not close...

Pedofile puppet from Your Highness that kind of looks like the alien in quetsion:
http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/files/2011/03/vice7-550x412.jpg
BIMS O1
AG
I thought snoke looked like voldemort from the Harry Potter movies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dave94
AG
quote:
Second viewing thoughts.

- it was more emotional for me this time. The big moments landed harder.
- Rey was definitely left with Plutt on Jakku. His hand is clearly visible holding her in the vision.
- Rey was definitely getting her ass kicked before she opened herself to the Force.
- Kylo isn't supposed to be a badass. He's still a novice with talent and potential. His crude lightsaber and Snoke's discussion about completing his training after Ren beats Kylo are good exidence of that.
- Luke's face is one of disappointment when he sees Rey. Maybe not unexpected, but saddened by her arrival. Will be interesting to see how he reacts to the idea of training her.

Saw it for the second time today also. I agree with your thoughts entirely!

The emotional aspect was especially heightened.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Absolutely loved the opening seen with the moon getting eclipsed by the star destroyer.
The opening scene was rad... I felt like I was watching a clip from Fantasia... The music and the 4 assault craft launching right with the musical change and heading down to the planet... It was a great intro.

One more incongruity that I didn't like (and hate in general about movies with military in them) ranks versus size of units responsible for.... CAPTAIN Phasma has a whole DIVISION? This is the ARMY right? Stormtroopers are infantry and I assume have army ranks. A captain would be in charge of a company, maybe a battalion at most. Certainly not a Brigade let alone a DIVISION... She should be GENERAL Phasma if that's the case... Pet peeve.
Saxsoon
AG
Different universe, maybe Captain is the equivalent in the First Order
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:
Absolutely loved the opening seen with the moon getting eclipsed by the star destroyer.
The opening scene was rad... I felt like I was watching a clip from Fantasia... The music and the 4 assault craft launching right with the musical change and heading down to the planet... It was a great intro.

One more incongruity that I didn't like (and hate in general about movies with military in them) ranks versus size of units responsible for.... CAPTAIN Phasma has a whole DIVISION? This is the ARMY right? Stormtroopers are infantry and I assume have army ranks. A captain would be in charge of a company, maybe a battalion at most. Certainly not a Brigade let alone a DIVISION... She should be GENERAL Phasma if that's the case... Pet peeve
You never know how their ranks evolved. I'd put stormtroopers closer to navy or marines. Space is the sea? For example, a captain on a navy vessel is the same thing as a colonel, and is directly below admiral. Could very well be a division-level command in the FO. Don't they say admiral a lot?

Anyway, kind of dumb since this isn't the real military.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah they use marine ranks. This guy was an admiral.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.