*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,591 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of #3. Ending definitely gets more powerful.
PatAg
AG
Are we forgetting when Kylo stopped a bolt in mid air?
Satellite of Love
quote:
Is Starkiller Base a good, clean-energy weapon because it uses solar power, or is it bad because it's energy source becomes non-renewable once it's harnessed.

Inquiring minds want to know.

It tells me that solar power is pure evil.
snowdog90
quote:
And speaking purely on the "badass" factor, outside of the following --

Vader doesn't do a whole hell of a lot in ANH. He kills Obi-Wan after he lets himself be killed, and he is shot out of the trench by Han before Luke blows up the Death Star.

What else does he do besides generally looking/sounding menacing in the background?

As has been mentioned, Vader didn't really become Vader until Empire. It could even be argued that Tarkin is the main bad guy in ANH.

I stand corrected... ANH was VASTLY overrated, and the Darth Vader character was weak and wasted. He can't hold a candle to the amazing Kylo Ren with his temper tantrums and his wannabe mask he wears for apparently no reason.

All hail the great TFA, which btw, would not exist if not for the amazing success of a movie that relied almost solely on word-of-mouth called Star Wars.

I've seen TFA twice, I wanted to like it, I didn't. I will see the next Star Wars movies only because I love the first two and the world created in them. I hope the next installments are as good as ANH and ESB. TFA just wasn't for me.

That doesn't make me a hater or dense, it just means I have an opinion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What are you so insecure about? We all love ANH, dude. Relax.
snowdog90
I'm not the insecure one trying to elevate TFA by dragging down the movie that caused TFA to exist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You keep distorting what I'm saying. We are talking about Kylo vs Vader here, not the movies.

Again, relax.
Ulrich
Please don't cry, snowdog.
MandoArms
Good read for my fellow nerds.

http://bigshinyrobot.com/59422/im-not-star-wars-fan/
Ulrich
I think it's refreshing to watch a Star Wars movie that is part of a trilogy which is neither (1) predetermined, nor (2) obviously making things up as it goes. IV-VI were great movies, but it's kind of hilarious how Lucas kept having to explain away inconsistencies from one movie to the next.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty spot-on.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
What are you so insecure about? We all love ANH, dude. Relax.

An insecure Star Wars fan? No wai!
Ulrich
quote:
Good read for my fellow nerds.

http://bigshinyrobot.com/59422/im-not-star-wars-fan/
I guess I'm confused... I'm a huge Star Wars fan living in the supposedly racist/sexist state of Texas, and I have yet to see anyone outraged about the inclusion of a black stormtrooper or a strong female character. In fact, what I've seen are nearly unanimous compliments for the excellent castings. The only comments regarding the race and gender of the main characters has been to specifically note that Abrams did not seem like he was pandering or filling a quota.

Similarly, the complaints about Rey's quick mastery of the Force are not because she's female. The complaints arose because the Force came so easily to Rey after six movies explaining why it was so difficult for immensely powerful characters like Anakin and Luke. Luke was able to be passively guided in a domain where he was already expert through experience (piloting) and Anakin had a similar skillset because he was the effing Chosen One, but neither had the control and precision Rey displayed after hearing a couple cryptic comments.

In conclusion: The author identifies with Jar-Jar. The author sucks. One more reason to believe Jar-Jar sucks.
Ulrich
...and

quote:
"I couldn't find any message board or online space where people were just consoling each other," she told me. "There were people in rages about how stupid it was Han was killed or how they didn't like how X character reacted, especially Chewie. When Sirius and Dumbledore passed, there were whole message boards where all we did was mourn. Like they were real people. And no one judged us for it."

I wonder why we can't be a more welcoming community.

That is because everyone who posts emotional reactions on message boards about deaths in Harry Potter is a teenage girl. Star Wars has a somewhat different demographic.
MandoArms
All I'm saying is I needed emotional support after Han died....
dreyOO
Vader and Ren will inevitably be compared, but they are intended to be entirely different bad guys. Just saying. Ren annoyed me with his tantrums, but the more I think about it, the more I like a different style of bad guy.

Btw, whats the consensus on Rey? Is she a Skywalker? I'm starting to wonder if she's actually a Kenobi as a little plot twist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chick in the theater lobby playing Across The Stars on the piano.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm a HP fan now? Certainly the first time I've been accused of that.
Ulrich
I must have you confused with someone else.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
...and

quote:
"I couldn't find any message board or online space where people were just consoling each other," she told me. "There were people in rages about how stupid it was Han was killed or how they didn't like how X character reacted, especially Chewie. When Sirius and Dumbledore passed, there were whole message boards where all we did was mourn. Like they were real people. And no one judged us for it."

That is because everyone who posts emotional reactions on message boards about deaths in Harry Potter is a teenage girl. Star Wars has a somewhat different demographic.
you are a lot of fun.
redline248
AG
I'm a fan of both, but Star Wars by a looooong margin.
redline248
AG
I'll also add that there was probably less mourning over Han bc most of us expected it by the time it happened.
wangus12
AG
quote:
...and

quote:

Agreed. I remember reading the HP books and when I read those parts, I was like damn, that really sucks. But that was what JK Rowling wrote and that is how the story goes. I'm not gonna curl up in my bed and eat a point of ice cream while watching the movies where they're alive. Whoever wrote that needs to read GoT if they care about characters so much.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
This is not intended as a criticism of the movie or Harrison Ford's performance (which I thought was great, btw), but...

While it was nostalgic and cool to see "Han Solo" again, I have to admit that the first thing that popped in to my mind when I saw him on screen was "Hey, so this is where Harrison Ford appears", not COOL HAN SOLO.

In this type of film, I think it's generally a very good idea to have actors who are relative unknowns or are famous primarily for that role. In addition to being telegraphed in a fairly obvious fashion, the fact that this was the last Star Wars film Harrison Ford wanted to be in removes a lot of the emotional impact. You kind of knew the character was being killed off, and why--you just hoped it would be well done, which I think it was in this case.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brandamne
I've thought he was a goner for the last 2 years. It was expected just wish we were wrong.
israeliag
AG
quote:
This is not intended as a criticism of the movie or Harrison Ford's performance (which I thought was great, btw), but...

While it was nostalgic and cool to see "Han Solo" again, I have to admit that the first thing that popped in to my mind when I saw him on screen was "Hey, so this is where Harrison Ford appears", not COOL HAN SOLO.

In this type of film, I think it's generally a very good idea to have actors who are relative unknowns or are famous primarily for that role. In addition to being telegraphed in a fairly obvious fashion, the fact that this was the last Star Wars film Harrison Ford wanted to be in removes a lot of the emotional impact. You kind of knew the character was being killed off, and why--you just hoped it would be well done, which I think it was in this case.
Pretty sure you were the only one to react like that. When he and Chewie appeard nearly the entire theater I was in cheered in glee. ****ing Han and Chewie! And it was as if they hadn't missed a step since we last saw them.

As for Han dying, I like the way JJ played it out on film. You knew he was a gonner from the moment he and Leia talked about bringing their son back, and JJ knew you knew that. The catwalk scene was played perfectly - this wasn't a surprise plot twist, this was the band on the Titanic playing as the ship went down. Kylo "handing over" his saber, his asking for help to end his turmoil, and the light literally being snuffed out of the sun (and figuratively being snuffed out of Kylo) all were clear telegraphs of what was come. You weren't being surprised, you were being made sad.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
quote:
You weren't being surprised, you were being made sad.

Yeah, I just wasn't. In this instance, at least, I did appreciate the symmetry with A New Hope, but it would have been a lot more emotional if Han had died in ROTJ, which is probably what should have happened.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AMW2010
AG
I'm sure this was posted, and I just missed it... But this is one interesting theory...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/seriously-dont-click-this-if-you-havent-seen-tfa-yet#.wjzRKkk8A
amercer
AG
Han Solo is the baddest dude in the galaxy. You aren't killing him in a fight, he wins every one. You aren't shooting him down in the mother****ing Millennium Falcon.

The only possible way for him to go is to be betrayed by someone he loves, to see it coming, and to do it anyway. Because he is the baddest dude in the galaxy.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I'm sure this was posted, and I just missed it... But this is one interesting theory...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/seriously-dont-click-this-if-you-havent-seen-tfa-yet#.wjzRKkk8A
yes it was posted...and lambasted....it's pretty dumb imho too. it's looking for any possible way to justify killing Han and making Kylo redeemable....it's a huge cop out if true. i'd expect it of a hackneyed Lucas on the fly rewrite to pacify people......but this ain't Lucas Star Wars no more.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
update from 3-year-old twin land: Now that we have The Force Awakens squeezable yogurts with character pictures on the side, my girls have finally realized that Finn from Star Wars and Sven from Frozen are not the same person (or reindeer).
wangus12
The Collective
AG
Sad over Dumbledore? Nope. Dobie? Real tears, man.
evan_aggie
AG
Ren's tantrums showed an immature side of being dark. It wasnt all about being the perfect bad ass and never making mistakes. It showed more of an emotional and unpredictable inexperienced wannabe. That is his whole subplot with Vader being his idol.

I thought it was well done, but Adam Driver has an odd face for the character imo.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok so a few questions and thoughts

1- Han was probably the one who smuggled Rey to Jakku but isn't directly related to her

2- if the sub hadn't gone out would Kylo still have killed Han?

3 - add more later

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.