*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,001 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm wondering if Snoke isn't someone that was part of Palp's inner circle, with some small force ability. Maybe one of his advisors or guards that wore red in Jedi. Trying to pick up the pieces, but obviously knows Luke is pretty damn powerful.

Maybe he is one of those royal guard *****es who got owned by Yoda.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Think I saw this on Facebook and not here...

27 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' questions answered by the novel
http://mashable.com/2015/12/29/force-awakens-novel/#ZLGnsQAX.Pq3
A lot of good stuff on here.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm wondering if Snoke isn't someone that was part of Palp's inner circle, with some small force ability. Maybe one of his advisors or guards that wore red in Jedi. Trying to pick up the pieces, but obviously knows Luke is pretty damn powerful.

Aftermath establishes that the Dark Side cult is a very real power at play in the remnant of the empire and galaxy at large. It counts members that are not Force sensitive, but obviously must also have some adepts in its ranks.
caleblyn

From this pic...

1. I am ignorant when it comes to movie production, but does this mean that the entire final battle in the snowy woods was ALL a fabricated set? I would have bet a good bit saying that it was filmed in some REAL snowy woods somewhere.

2. What do you think they are using for sabers? Again, I would have said that the sabers were 100% CGI with the actors using maybe a green painted piece of PVC pipe.
TCTTS
AG
They've starting using the "glow stick" versions in order to get the red/blue light glowing on close by faces and objects and what not. Otherwise, using only the PVC pipe, there's a lot more work to do in post production.
OnlyForNow
AG
The makers of Gorilla Glass could make some SERIOUS MONEY by partnering with someone to make light sabers with their almost unbreakable glass.
wangus12
AG
If you've ever watched Band of Brothers, all of the scenes in the snowy wooded area around Bastogne were filmed in a studio in England.
Simplebay
AG
wangus12
AG
quote:
"Look at it, Lieutenant. So much beauty among so much turmoil. In a way, we are but an infinitely smaller reflection of the same conflict. It is the task of the First Order to remove the disorder from our own existence, so that civilization may be returned to the stability that promotes progress. A stability that existed under the Empire, was reduced to anarchy by the Rebellion, was inherited in turn by the so-called Republic, and will be restored by us. Future historians will look upon this as the time when a strong hand brought the rule of law back to civilization."
So basically the FO are the Templars and the Resistance are the Assassin's. I expect Assassin's Creed: Galaxy by next November
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The makers of Gorilla Glass could make some SERIOUS MONEY by partnering with someone to make light sabers with their almost unbreakable glass.
I want one.
NC2001
AG
quote:
I was thinking of the same thing just the other day. With today's technology, someone can create a telescopic LED "beam" that would be stored in the hilt of the light saber. The glow of the LED would mask the telescopic design, and the "beam" would be sturdy enough to duel with.
OnlyForNow
AG
This would also give some real weight to the saber for movie filming purposes... although the light sabers probably aren't supposed to weigh anything besides the hilt/handle itself.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
It was inevitable:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/what-star-wars-gets-wrong-about-blacks-and-women/2015/12/23/5dfca380-a8ce-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Catching up on the thread in spare time.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ what a load of bull**** in this write up.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Crap like this has been happening in Star Wars since Episode IV, which is why we got that cool kat Lando Calrissian in Episode V
Philo B 93
I figured out the magic formula for the success of Star Wars. The music. Watch any Star Wars film without the John Williams score, and you have a whole different experience without the dopamine rush you get from his perfectly orchestrated music. Also, notice how much of the time in Force Awakens that there is barely audible music being played in the background. The movie is almost a music video with the swells at the perfect time like when Rey pulls the light saber from the snow or R2 comes to life.

John Williams has the magic touch which also worked in Indiana Jones and Superman.

I realized that his music was in some bad movies, i.e. Prequels and Indiana Jones 4, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. The music and familiar faces (R2 and 3-peo) were the biggest saving graces of those CGI cartoons.

The "Chosen One" epic Storyline with the mystical force and cloaked evil villains gets a lot of points in movies like this. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, etc., but only Star Wars had the right music at the right time.
Wheatables02
AG
I think rogue one won't compare to others because of the lack of John Williams' music.
TCTTS
AG
I gotta be honest - save for Rey's Theme, I was extremely underwhelmed by Williams' latest effort. He's an icon, obviously, but I think his years are catching up to him. Still, either way, I welcome something new, musically, to these anthology movies. In this case, something that better-fits a Zero Dark Thirty / Saving Private Ryan type vibe.
Ag Since 83
AG
I don't think the TFA score has anything as iconic as what we got in the past, but I downloaded it a couple days ago and there are several songs that I enjoy:

Rey's Theme
Scherzo for X-Wings
March of the Resistance
Jedi Steps and Finale
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This. All of those have stood out to me on subsequent viewings.

But again, nothing as iconic as say a Duel of the Fates or Imperial March.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yeah, I thought that it stood out more on subsequent viewings a well. Though, I think probably the most recognizable track after Rey's Them is March of the Resistance.

It's funny, when I watched the film again it felt like there were hints of William's score of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the score. Which, when you think about it is pretty appropriate because the film was about trying to obtain a map to find Luke.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw the movie Sunday for the 1st time. This movie is exactly what Star Wars needed.

Was able to stay spoiler free. Didn't have time to catch it really post-opening weekend until then.

Just got done catching up all the way through this thread when I have had free time here and there. I've bumped it here and there when I read upon noteworthy things to me.

Great thread, y'all!
512Ag
AG
Regarding the music, just remember we didn't get the Imperial March until Empire Strikes Back. I think the soundtrack for TFA is pretty solid. I think episode VIII will bring out the badass stuff.
Simplebay
AG
Mr. White
How old was the youngest kid you all saw at this movie?

Contemplating taking a three-year-old. Hmmmm.....
AggieSportsGuy
AG
There was a three or four year old in my second showing that cried most of the movie and the parents wouldn't take him out of the theater until someone yelled, "Get the kid out of here!" at the top of their lungs, to which the parents obliged.
Knife_Party
Youngest was maybe 5-7 at most. 3 is too young to me.
Mr. White
That's awesome.

I plan on getting her out of there the second time she acts scared or is loud. I'll just go back at another time.

She likes Rey, 3PO, R2, BB8 and the Millenium Falcon from the commercials. She talks about wanting to see it and it would be cool if it was her first ever movie theater experience. We'll see.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
How old was the youngest kid you all saw at this movie?

Contemplating taking a three-year-old. Hmmmm.....

Took my just turned 3 year old a few weeks back. We did well for 45 min waiting and about another 45 into it but she got scared so we left.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That sucks
512Ag
AG
I was considering taking my 3 and 5 year olds, but I think the theater experience would be a little too intense for them. We'll watch it at home the day it comes out, though.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You'll have a few more chances over the years as more movies come out and they are older!
birdman
I agree that 5 year old is about the cutoff.

Saw it with extended family over Christmas. In addition to five year old, we had their 98 year old great grandmother.
Belton Ag
AG
Wife took our 3 year old last weekend. She's a spitfire and this movie wouldn't phase her in terms of being scared... And she fell asleep for about 30 minutes of it. lol.
Furlock Bones
AG
Finally saw it. God 3D sucks something awful.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I just can't and don't do 3D. For me, I think it subtracts more as a distraction vs what it adds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.