*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,563 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd rather not write myself into a situation where I have to choose between making the main character way over powered or letting her die.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rey's mommy?

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I just remembered that one of the early spoiler leaks was a set photo of Adam Driver dressed as an X-Wing pilot. Wonder if that was a total fakeout or if it was scrapped in a rewrite.

It wasn't Driver... It was a blur pic from a drone... Some assumed it was him cause the hair was similar... Turns out it was probably just some extra running around during the fleet mobilization scene.

Definitely not a fake out cause they weren't planning for drones to be taking pics.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I'd rather not write myself into a situation where I have to choose between making the main character way over powered or letting her die.

I think it's as simple as Kylo isn't that powerful... He's skilled for sure, but he's very raw. Combine that with the fact that he took a bad shot from Chewys cross bow and it's not hard to see how he was matched by Rey.

I mean, the chick knows how to fly really well, repair a ship, etc without much training... The Force is obviously strkng with her. I'm a fan!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still no TCTTS review or Muckraker review.
Joe Cole
Just got home. Enjoyed the movie and I have not read thru this thread, but wanted to comment before reading

Really can't believe how much they pulled from New Hope and Empire. Felt like I was watching the same movie, but just one generation ahead. It certainly wasn't hard to tell that the same writer did this as originals.

I mean basically another Deathstar with same threat of Rebel's planet about to be blown up if not for tiny fleet of X-wings hitting a specific spot from intel that was held on a lovable droid? Even had the same scene with rebel pilots and leaders meeting in their war room going over the plans.

Rey seemed to go from not knowing of her force powers to doing tricks pretty quickly

YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
I think the quick pick of powers is more in line with the OT. All the training and being "too old" at 8 is crap from the PT.

Cromagnum
AG
I see Snoke already must feel that Rei is stronger than Kylo since he wants him to bring her to him
512Ag
AG
Muck is probably in the theater right now. I'm looking forward to his thoughts.
wcb
AG
From page 6...

quote:
I had the same questions as everyone else about who in the world the old man is at beginning and how he would know Luke's exact location.

If he's watching after Luke's kid (from a distance, a-la Obi Wan) then he'd need to know how to contact dad.

Sorry if that's been covered between page 6 and here, still catching up...
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
I think the quick pick of powers is more in line with the OT. All the training and being "too old" at 8 is crap from the PT.

Oh I didn't know Luke was 8 and not in his late 20s in Empire.
512Ag
AG
I loved just about every minute of this movie. I'm not ready to jump in with a really in-depth review, but I'm really enjoying everyone's analysis. I am so freaking ecstatic with how Ep. VII turned out!
512Ag
AG
quote:

Yoda's voice in Empire (pre-reveal) is the same as Grover from Sesame Street.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
MonkeyKnifeFighter
PatAg
AG
Some of you guys on this thread are taking the fun out of the movie..pretty sure we know who you all are. Cut it out.

Not monkey, always appreciate dumb jokes.
evan_aggie
AG
I thought the movie was really good, definitely think it is a 8-9 out of 10, but I left somehow feeling just a little let down. I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know if it was the excess/exaggeration in Finn's character, or perhaps all of the so easily predictable scenes. I guess it was extremely formulaic. They could have gone deeper with the characters and it felt shallow.

The scene near the end where Han Solo approaches his son with the beam of light gave away the next 2-3 minutes. You know the device is going to charge and the light will disappear. You know it is way too obvious for him to turn to the light. I mean...I guess they wanted to give everyone a clue before the shocking conclusion of that stand-off?

It was a nice reboot.
Objective Aggie
AG
Long story. But last night was at a private showing. My son got stuck outside and we missed the very beginning. So no words or title sequence. We get in and I guess the pilot just received a map from the old man.

Exactly how much did we miss?
Jim01
AG
Pretty much nothing. That's the first scene. Pilot gets the info from old man, then bad guys attack, he puts the info in the droid and sends it off, then he gets captured by the bad guys.
PatAg
AG
Read an awesome take on a scene that I dont think I fully appreciated in the theater. When Poe is being a smartass to Kylo Ren, think about it in this context. He probably knew Kylo Ren before his turn, since he works for Leia, and probably Han at the time. So he is fully aware of the whole turn to the dark side, and if there is anything a bratty kid hates, is you showing you don't care about them.
Jim01
AG
One of my favorite little scenes was when they land at the watering hole. Rey says "I didn't know there was this much green in the entire galaxy." The look on her face and the look of reaction that Han shoots here was just great. It was a perfect example of the great acting from both of them.
AliasMan02
AG
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the bearded X-Wing pilot is Temmin "Snap" Wexley, one of the main characters in Aftermath.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Temmin_Wexley

The Resistance outpost is on D'Qar, a world scouted by Thane Kyrell in Lost Stars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thane_Kyrell
PatAg
AG
I also laugh at the people complaining about them stealing the name Ben from the books, where Luke named his kid Ben.

It's a pretty standard thing, in fiction or the real world, to name your children after important people in your life. Especially important people that have passed away. Just saying
fig96
AG
quote:
One of my favorite little scenes was when they land at the watering hole. Rey says "I didn't know there was this much green in the entire galaxy." The look on her face and the look of reaction that Han shoots here was just great. It was a perfect example of the great acting from both of them.
Mentioned this scene earlier, really great and a very genuine reaction with the life experience her character had had.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

You do know the same actor (Frank Oz) voiced both of them?
512Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You do know the same actor (Frank Oz) voiced both of them?

Yeah. It just finally hit me that they sound the same. Having three kids and being a pretty good Star Wars nerd, I should've picked it up sooner.
aggiephoenix02
quote:
Is R2 force sensitive?
I started to believe this this past year after re-watching Ep. 1-6.

R2 is somehow a droid with force powers....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh I didn't know Luke was 8 and not in his late 20s in Empire.
Luke was 19 in ANH and in his early 20s in Empire.
Flashdiaz
AG
I wonder how many flashback scenes we're going to see to explain:

- nights of ren
- Jedi academy massacre
- how Maz ended up with Luke's saber

Maybe they're all connected and they'll just make an episode 6.5
In a related note, I recall a still frame from the trailer where Kylo is holding Luke's saber in Rey's force vision. Would explain why he says it's his when Finn ignites it.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I was also wondering when Harry Potter and star wars mixed when the whole lightsaber chooses her over Ren....

Does anyone have background on lightsabers being attuned to certain people or choosing people?

Or did she really just over power Ren for it which seems unlikely?

But does Ren put that much effort into pulling the saber to him. He definitely wasn't expecting her to be doing the same thing. She caught him off guard again
PatAg
AG
quote:
I wonder how many flashback scenes we're going to see to explain:

- nights of ren
- Jedi academy massacre
- how Maz ended up with Luke's saber

Maybe they're all connected and they'll just make an episode 6.5
In a related note, I recall a still frame from the trailer where Kylo is holding Luke's saber in Rey's force vision. Would explain why he says it's his when Finn ignites it.
It's his because it was his grandfather's...
Stupe
S
Did I miss something or was the "The Force is strong in our family....." part not in the movie?
Philip J Fry
AG
It was not.
AliasMan02
AG
Doing a whole review seems a little forced at this point, as my feelings are pretty much the same as everyone's. So, I figure I'll focus on some of the major talking points.

1. After absorbing everything for a few hours, it seems clear enough to me that Rey had received training prior to being left on Jakku. The turning point for her tapping into her Force powers (consciously) was during her interrogation. Kylo digs down into her mind, even so far as to see the island that we later learn is where Luke is. This is a place that Rey clearly has no conscious memory of. Immediately after that, she is able to fight off Kylo's mental invasion, mind trick the stormtrooper, etc. He triggered something that had been dormant.

2. Some people asked about the planets being destroyed, and they are correct that it was not Coruscant. The Senate was destroyed, however. That will have repercussions.

3. Among the senators killed was one from Taris. That makes this at least the third time that Taris has been given a mention in the new canon. I firmly believe that it will play a big role, going forward, probably with the Dark Side cult (a sort of opposite of the Church of the Force, which has also been brought into the new canon) and the Knights of Ren.

4. For those disappointed in the lack of screen time for Captain Phasma, fear not. I'm confident that she will prominently play a role in Episode VIII. I think we'll see the main cast split up as it was for most of Empire, with Rey off training with Luke and with Phasma hunting down Fin to bring him to justice.

5. It will be interesting to see what they do about the passage of time. Traditionally, there would be YEARS between episodes, but that would require skipping over the meeting where we just left off.

6. Do you know how much discipline it takes for the writers to not give Luke a single line in the whole movie? Mad props to the creative team.

Can't wait to see it again. Think I'll let it settle in for another day, then see it again Sunday. Probably will pick up the novelization before then.
txagman1998
AG
quote:
Doing a whole review seems a little forced at this point, as my feelings are pretty much the same as everyone's.
Same here, so I'll summarize my thoughts about the movie this way:

I checked the time on my Fitbit after the last trailer as I was a little annoyed that the previews lasted nearly 20 minutes. The next time I checked my Fitbit was when the end credits started rolling. Two hours and 16 minutes flew by as I was so engrossed in the story. Definitely a winner!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.