*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

365,796 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think she's a Kenobi, force is too strong and this is the tragic epic of the Skywalker family. Or maybe not.

It's a trilogy so I laugh at anyone whining about unanswered questions.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
I give this movie a 6/10. It was ok, but most of the hype it's getting is because it's being compared to the prequels, which were three of the worst movies in the history of cinema.

This is 100% wrong
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
The Resistance is pretty small, both in numbers and in how widespread the fight is, so it makes sense to just use a limited number of ship types. Y-Wings were Clone Wars era ships, so old already. I do think you'll see new and different ship types going forward. That's just part of the formula.

They don't look much different, but the TIE/fo is much more advanced than the original. It has shields, better weapons, and a hyperdrive (at least the Special Forces TIE does). Again, I'm sure we'll see more variety going forward.

The x-wings in TFA were more or less updated from those of the OT, just based on appearance. I'm hoping we see some b-wings again, or an updated version.
mazag08
AG
Are the same writers writing the sequels?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
And the same writers writing the sequels?

Rian Johnson is writing 8 and 9.
mazag08
AG
Who is he? Did he write this one?

I ask, because what if all of this speculation of the future was left to the new writer and director to interpret and develop on his own?
ham98
rey is ezra bridger's daughter
jabberwalkie09
AG
He wrote and directed Looper.

In theory, the basic background of characters should s have been done when writing TFA.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had the same worry, but I'm fairly sure JJ/Kasdan probably laid out most of the overarching stories for Rey/Finn/Kylo, together with the Lucas Story Group.

Also Kathleen Kennedy has said that JJ and Rian have had a lot of story meetings, though JJ has also said that Rian is "making it his own".

Not sure how much freedom Rian will have as far as story/plot, but I would imagine/hope that the character arcs are somewhat locked in by now.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Did he write this one?

And to answer the second part, no. JJ and Kasdan wrote this after Arndt penned the original draft.
AliasMan02
AG
With as well as things have gone since Kennedy took over Lucasfilm, I don't think we need to worry about the story staying cohesive. They have a plan. The days of Lucas making stuff up as he goes along are long over
Malachi Constant
AG
According to an article posted a while back, there was a weeks-long meeting back in 2012 where they mapped out the entire trilogy.

I don't think changing directors will change that, particularly if JJ stays on as producer which sounds likely.
LPHA
AG
Amazing movie. Daniel Fleetwood's wife was in the audience apparently. They made some announcement before the previews
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to say the score, which I thought was ok but not all that memorable the first time, is really growing on me after the second viewing.

wanewman
quote:
Have to say the score, which I thought was ok but not all that memorable the first time, is really growing on me after the second viewing.
Jedi Steps and Rey's Theme are my favs. Basically anything that Rey is involved with.
Ulrich
After second watching:
When Rey told Han her name right when he gave her the blaster, he definitely knew who she was. That scene was Harrison Ford's best acting of the movie, imo. Leia would know her, too. I don't know if Rey is a Skywalker, but she definitely has a connection to the Skywalkers. I'm also betting that was Luke's ship she saw flying away from Jakku during the flashback.

Chewie and Leia hugged at her first appearance on screen, so no huge rift there. He walked past to set up the big hug with the lost relative or whatever. No statement being made.

The story of how Maz got the lightsaber will be told.

Prediction: Ep VIII opens with a big battle, but then goes to Luke narrating a lot of the backstory for Rey at the monastery. But he leaves something important out a la Kenobi.
STUPENDOUS SPECTACULAR AG
quote:
quote:
I give this movie a 6/10. It was ok, but most of the hype it's getting is because it's being compared to the prequels, which were three of the worst movies in the history of cinema.

This is 100% wrong

You're entitled to your opinion, even if I believe it is unequivocally wrong.
Ulrich
It's not especially creative, but it was very well done.
wanewman
After a second viewing, I may change my prediction to Rey's lightsaber color to be purple for no other reason than when Kylo's red and Finn's (Luke's) blue met and gave off the purple tint as Rey looked on. Random, yes.
Ag Since 83
AG
Sorry if this was posted, but here's the explanation about R2 waking up, and how he got the map to begin with. Also, some background on how the plot evolved:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
After second watching:
When Rey told Han her name right when he gave her the blaster, he definitely knew who she was. That scene was Harrison Ford's best acting of the movie, imo. Leia would know her, too. I don't know if Rey is a Skywalker, but she definitely has a connection to the Skywalkers. I'm also betting that was Luke's ship she saw flying away from Jakku during the flashback.

Chewie and Leia hugged at her first appearance on screen, so no huge rift there. He walked past to set up the big hug with the lost relative or whatever. No statement being made.

The story of how Maz got the lightsaber will be told.

Prediction: Ep VIII opens with a big battle, but then goes to Luke narrating a lot of the backstory for Rey at the monastery. But he leaves something important out a la Kenobi.
Agree Han knew who she was, but no way that was Luke's ship (at least not him piloting it)... She was crying for her mom. The connection is there, I'm just hoping it's not like as a father.

Too early for me to predict too much about 8.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is 100% wrong

Universal critical acclaim, an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the movie on this thread,a franchise that is loved by millions of people and has made more money than any media franchise in the history of the world but the hype is all because of the prequels. Oh, The Phantom Menace had just as much, if not more hype than this movie but I guess it was just being compared the Star Wars Christmas Special.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is 100% wrong

Universal critical acclaim, an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the movie on this thread,a franchise that is loved by millions of people and has made more money than any media franchise in the history of the world but the hype is all because of the prequels. Oh, The Phantom Menace had just as much, if not more hype than this movie but I guess it was just being compared the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Playing the popularity card isn't going to get you anywhere. I believe 95% of people, including moviegoers and critics, are basically ******ed and easily deceived. There are certainly instances where something is popular because it is legitimately a work of art, but more often than not, that isn't the case and I don't believe it's the case here. The best adjective to describe this movie would be "acceptable." It's that, and no more. I never said it's a bad movie, but it is FAR from great.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is 100% wrong

Playing the popularity card isn't going to get you anywhere. I believe 95% of people, including moviegoers and critics, are basically ******ed and easily deceived. There are certainly instances where something is popular because it is legitimately a work of art, but more often than not, that isn't the case and I don't believe it's the case here. The best adjective to describe this movie would be "acceptable." It's that, and no more. I never said it's a bad movie, but it is FAR from great.

Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

I would give it an 8, but I agree otherwise. I thought the pacing was tremendously slow to start off with. It took a good half hour before we even learned any of the characters names.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lmao. What a pompous, arrogant person you are.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is 100% wrong

Oh I see. Because you don't agree with everyone else, we're all wrong on our opinions of the movie and as you say, just a bunch of ******s.
quote:

And what a sheep you are.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:

And what a sheep you are.

Y'all. Come on.

Don't feed the troll.

He probably misses Fran too.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
If the poster is who I think he is, he's on about his 5th username.
Madmarttigan
AG
No you just called the original trilogy the worst movies in the history of the world. No big deal.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Just thinking about this - If you were Disney, would you want Rey to have blood relations with the main old characters? Gotta think that they'd like to expand this universe more going forward, and keeping everything centered around the Skywalker bloodline wouldn't seem like the right way to go with that. This trilogy would be a good way to cleanly end the story of the Skywalkers.

Star Wars is not about galactic war. It's a story about the Skywalker Family.

If Rey isn't a Skywalker and they kill Kylo, I think the line may be empty when they start writing the script for 10.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is 100% wrong

Oh I see. Because you don't agree with everyone else, we're all wrong on our opinions of the movie and as you say, just a bunch of ******s.

No, I just made a general statement. I certainly did not specifically call you and the others on this thread a bunch of ******s. Surely you understand the difference.
Madmarttigan
AG
Is this Redstone or bill???
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
"But the idea was that in that scene where R2 plugged in, he downloaded the archives of the Empire, which was referenced by Kylo Ren," Abrams said. Thirty-eight years later, in both our own and galactic time, that data becomes useful in The Force Awakens when a new droid approaches the dormant R2.
"BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, 'I've got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?'" Abrams said. "The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up."

The director acknowledges that R2's sudden "awakening" at the end was designed to be an emotional storytelling utility: "While it may seem, you know, completely lucky and an easy way out, at that point in the movie, when you've lost a person, desperately, and somebody you hopefully care about is unconscious, you want someone to return."

So for those let wondering: BB-8's earlier question rattles around inside R2's dome for a while. Those old astromechs must just take a while to boot up again.
Well that's kind of a disappointing answer, honestly.

So BB-8 triggered him waking up, and they just held it until the end of the movie for storytelling purposes. I understand why you do that, but if that's the only reason you did it, at least keep it a mystery for us to speculate about.

It was much more fun when we thought it could've been Luke and/or Rey, or even something else. Like Lindelof used to say about Lost, explaining mysteries kind of ruins them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.