*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,478 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I felt like this was the movie I've been waiting 20 years to see. It was incredible! I really wish Abrams were coming back for episodes VIII & IX. I still can't believe Han Solo is dead. This movie was just pure joy. I took my dad to watch it and he was whooping like a child. I loved how they made Rey such a strong female lead.
Joan Wilder
AG
Loved it. It felt like STAR WARS again.

Everything was real - real actors, real sets, real explosions, real dirt. It made all the acting better. It had the quips and the feel of the originals.

Did Han call Kylo Ren, "Ben?" when he called out to him? Not sure if this has been answered, but it sure sounded that way to me.

I had concerns about BB8 being too cutesy but he was great.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I'm still not clear on the Rebels vs Resistance and Empire vs First Order thing. What's the pecking order in this universe? Did the Rebel Alliance not actually do anything with their victory over the empire in ROTJ?

The Empire remnant fought among themselves then ultimately retreated to a corner of the galaxy, where it grew into the First Order under Snoke.

The Alliance to Restore the Republic did just that. The fledgling Republic is up and running. Then got blown up.

The Resistance is a new organization fighting the First Order in the territories they control. Many leaders of the original Alliance have been instrumental in its operation.
AggieLitigator
quote:
I felt like this was the movie I've been waiting 20 years to see. It was incredible! I really wish Abrams were coming back for episodes VIII & IX. I still can't believe Han Solo is dead. This movie was just pure joy. I took my dad to watch it and he was whooping like a child. I loved how they made Rey such a strong female lead.

Whoa whoa whoa!!! You saying Abrams isn't doing the next two??????? First I've heard that
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Whoa whoa whoa!!! You saying Abrams isn't doing the next two??????? First I've heard that

Google it... You'll have your answer... Spoiler alert, JJ only did VII!
The Collective
AG
Abrams is not. He might be exec producer on the next. It should be fine, we hope.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That's been known for awhile now. Ever since Rian Johnson was announced to direct VIII I think.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm still not clear on the Rebels vs Resistance and Empire vs First Order thing. What's the pecking order in this universe? Did the Rebel Alliance not actually do anything with their victory over the empire in ROTJ?

The Empire remnant fought among themselves then ultimately retreated to a corner of the galaxy, where it grew into the First Order under Snoke.

The Alliance to Restore the Republic did just that. The fledgling Republic is up and running. Then got blown up.

The Resistance is a new organization fighting the First Order in the territories they control. Many leaders of the original Alliance have been instrumental in its operation.

The problem is that "the resistance" implies that they are weaker than the first order. Does the Republic have their own fleet?
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
quote:
Im looking foward to Rogue One to bridge the gap to episode VIII
you're going to be disappointed then. Rogue One is set between 3 and 4. it's about stealing the death star plans

I didnt word this well. I meant im looking forward to it to bridge the gap in time we will have while waiting on VIII to fome out. At least i wont have 1.5 years to some more Star Wars in other words.
The Collective
AG
Couldn't resistance just be a third party group willing to do fighting that the Republic is unwilling to do.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just saw it 9/10 for me, there were some things mentioned over the course I didn't like:

Carrie Fischer's acting was ****ing horrible.

I'm a bit curious as to why Kylo is so bent on finishing Vader's work. Either I missed something or how he's being manipulated.

I didn't care for how quickly Rey suddenly is mastering the force after the previous 6 movies go to great length to explain how important training is, less absolute power corrupt you to the Dark Side, quickly.

The scale of the X-Wing assault on Starkiller didn't work out, they lost 1/2 their fleet before Chewie blows the charges and there weren't any A-Wings, Y-Wings, B-Wings. Felt like they had a small assault forces attacking on 5 minutes of planning against a planet-sized weapon. Then when they make their final bombing run they have enough X-Wings as when the fight started.

And finally, pace of the story. It just seemed non-stop, where's 4/5/6 had downtime for plot development. It felt too fast for me.

Things that didn't bug me: That Fin is black. Either stormtroopers aren't clones, or the clones could have come from a different factory. No one says there's only 1 factory or they are all using the same alpha male to be clone/storm troopers. Although I really like Jango Fett being played by a Maori/New Zealander. Either way, this didn't bug me at all.

The feel of the movie, badass. Loved seeing the Falcon being in even worse shape than in 6. Not sure I like how quickly Rey had a full mastery of the Falcon's patchwork of upgrades...this is part of the pace problem and it minimized Chewie banging on things and yelling at them.

Will be seeing it again at New Years with my brother and my dad. Maybe a 2nd viewing will clear up things. I do like it, but can't say I'm in love with it.
AggieLitigator
I don't know how I didn't know this but that's awful news. JJ is the man
fig96
AG
I would love to see him do it, but he's producing and Rian Johnson is a hell of a director.

I'm not worried.
The Collective
AG
One former Grantland writer is comparing this to Batman Begins on his twitter account. Arguing that people are essentially overrating it, because of what preceeded it. And that by the end of this trilogy, it will be forgettable. I'm not sure that I agree, but it'd be pretty badass if that were true.

With that all said, I really like Batman Begins... almost as much as TDK.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Not all storm troopers are clones.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:

Things that didn't bug me: That Fin is black. Either stormtroopers aren't clones, or the clones could have come from a different factory. No one says there's only 1 factory or they are all using the same alpha male to be clone/storm troopers. Although I really like Jango Fett being played by a Maori/New Zealander. Either way, this didn't bug me at all.

Finn isn't a clone trooper. The ones Kylo and crew were using were handpicked from random families when they were young. Snoke (or someone else) even mentioned that maybe they should start using clone troopers.
The Collective
AG
OT troopers weren't Clones, right?
AgDev01
AG
quote:

The problem is that "the resistance" implies that they are weaker than the first order. Does the Republic have their own fleet?

From what i understood after the treaty with the empire and them all but collapsed the Republic pretty much disbanded their fleet and left it up to each system to provide their own defenses. The Republic does have a fleet but no where near the levels it was following the battle of Jakku. The Resistance seems to me to be like a small force that gets under the table support from the Republic to keep tabs of the remnants of the Empire, or the First Order.

quote:
OT troopers weren't Clones, right?
I believe Rex covered this in Star Wars Rebels. There might have been a couple of clone troopers still around in the Empire but they were pretty much were disbanded or got old and retired before Star Wars. The Empire had moved to using storm troopers versus clones years before.
AlaskanAg99
AG
That's what I thought, I need to view a 2nd time.

A lot of the space scenes showing Star Destroyers in much greater detail, loved that.

The fact a Tie Fighter was blowing the big guns off with a few hits? Kinda dumb.
Quinn
AG
Which Grantland guy?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Couldn't resistance just be a third party group willing to do fighting that the Republic is unwilling to do.
Resistance = republics guerrilla war against First Order IMO.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
That's what I thought, I need to view a 2nd time.

A lot of the space scenes showing Star Destroyers in much greater detail, loved that.

The fact a Tie Fighter was blowing the big guns off with a few hits? Kinda dumb.
Actually, makes sense to me. It was under the shield so they had no protection.
nikator
AG
quote:

Did Han call Kylo Ren, "Ben?" when he called out to him? Not sure if this has been answered, but it sure sounded that way to me.

Yes, he called him Ben, after Ben Kanobi.

In the expanded universe which is no longer Canon. Luke and Mara Jaide had named their son Ben.
AliasMan02
AG
For those with issues about how the Starkiller works, the novelization gites into much more detail. It collects and fires dark energy, stored in the planet's core until fired. The weapon does travel through a space-time rift even deeper than hyperspace, which is not understood by the Resistance.

Still plenty of hand waving, but they do address it.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Which Grantland guy?

Bryan Curtis. I believe he was a mix of sports & pop culture for GL, not one of their major entertainment writers. I know I've seen him write for Texas Monthly as well... he is a bit of a Jurassic Park fanatic.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Just saw the movie. I'll need some time to process what I just saw, but all I can say is wow. I hope JJ Abrams stays as the director. He did a wonderful job with this movie.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but J.J. is already confirmed to be done. Rian Johnson has the next one.
MandoArms
Just saw this, ObiWan was the one calling Rey, could she be related to him?

http://ikwiz.com/article.asp?id=19870&name=The+Force+Awakens%3A+Major+Obi-Wan+Kenobi+Easter+Egg+%28SPOILERS%21%29
Ag Since 83
AG
Yeah I like the idea of Rey being a Kenobi more than a Skywalker

RE: Threepio, he was used perfectly. Back to the original trilogy, where he annoyed the other characters to amuse us. In the prequels he just annoyed us. It was a nod to ESB when in the middle of Han and Leia having a moment, here comes Threepio to **** it up.

On 2nd viewing, the plot rehash of ANH didn't bother me at all, but if I were them, I would have avoided the super weapon story by having both the resistance and first order put the map together around the time Rey is captured (maybe by having Ren get it from her mind, and not having R2 be dormant). Then, the final act could have been a race to the finish line, sort of a Star Wars version of an Indiana Jones film
Pro Ag
AG
As others, I really enjoyed the movie. I didn't like all the questions left open though (also don't know why they went with first order being third reich). This is a movie, not an episode of Lost or Alias. Fans are having to wait years between movies so I would have liked a little more information on some fronts.

They talk about the escape being Fin's first issue with his conditioning. Does that mean something? As others have said he and Rey in the Falcon had some type of connection.

All of the questions about Rey that have been brought up. If there weren't so many other questions I think we would all be okay with these (maybe except her overpowering Kylo Ren for the Anakin/Luke lightsaber).

As others have asked, how about a little info on why R2 woke up?

Why did C3PO have a red arm?

Poe magically also getting off Jakku without his jacket?

And many other questions that have been asked here.

One point I need some clarification that I think was covered in the movie. Did Leia say she wish she would or would not have had Ben train with Luke? I thought it sounded like them sending Ben away meant he wasn't trained by Luke but could be wrong.
Joan Wilder
AG
Rey being a Kenobi would be a great idea.

Carrie Fisher clearly hasn't acted in a while and suffered from a bit too much...something in the plastic surgery department. Botox or something really affected her mouth. I kept seeing Debbie Reynolds when I looked at her.

I liked that the storm troopers weren't clones but were soldiers. Little moments of them talking to on another (backing away when Kylo was having a temper tantrum) just made it all seem more real.

What I like is that I'm excited about the next movie, but I'm excited to see where Rey and Finn's stories go...not Luke or any of the original guys.
OnlyForNow
AG

Yes Leia said she wishes she had not sent him away to train with Luke, she felt that Kylo/Ben felt betrayed and or abandoned by Han and Leia.

captain Phasama makes a very clear statement regarding Finn, that he needs "reconditioning" meaning to me that they brain wash the STs.

Storm troopers are no longer clones they are taking as babies to serve. No idea if they come from sympathetic first order families or are stolen from normal families.

I like the fanatical-ism the first order have. It definitely seems like the FO is different than the empire. Mostly people young don't thinkable saw anyone as old as Leia or Han... Just interesting I can get behind brainwashing young people.

Poe doesn't wear his jacket while flying. He got thrown outta the TIE and therefore no jacket since Finn was right there.

G Martin 87
AG
It seemed perfectly natural to me for Leia and Rey to console each other when she and Chewie returned without Han. Not because there might be some unrevealed family connection, but because Han was important to both of them. Rey had just watched him die, a fairly horrific thing to witness even if she'd only met him a few days before. Leia recognized in Rey a younger version of herself. That's how I saw it.
Quinn
AG
Ah, well he's a dirty Tsip, so who cares what he thinks?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Just saw this, ObiWan was the one calling Rey, could she be related to him?

http://ikwiz.com/article.asp?id=19870&name=The+Force+Awakens%3A+Major+Obi-Wan+Kenobi+Easter+Egg+%28SPOILERS%21%29

Yep, I called that and made a comment on it as soon as I got back from my opening night view. I personally think it just means she was around Luke when she was younger and was trained. Probably his daughter, but either way she was important and his teary eyes at the end were eyes of recognition.

Lots of cool little details in the movie. For example, speaking of the storm troopers, when Hux was looking up his files and they were talking about no previous problems, there were pics of little kids you could see... They definitely were robbing cradles.
Pro Ag
AG
quote:

Yes Leia said she wishes she had not sent him away to train with Luke, she felt that Kylo/Ben felt betrayed and or abandoned by Han and Leia.

captain Phasama makes a very clear statement regarding Finn, that he needs "reconditioning" meaning to me that they brain wash the STs.

Storm troopers are no longer clones they are taking as babies to serve. No idea if they come from sympathetic first order families or are stolen from normal families.

I like the fanatical-ism the first order have. It definitely seems like the FO is different than the empire. Mostly people young don't thinkable saw anyone as old as Leia or Han... Just interesting I can get behind brainwashing young people.

Poe doesn't wear his jacket while flying. He got thrown outta the TIE and therefore no jacket since Finn was right there.

Thanks for the answer on the Leia comment. I couldn't remember that one correctly.

I agree on the reconditioning, they just made a point that this was his first issue and that seemed to be different from other situations (at least how I read it).

And I don't mind that they seem fanatical, but could they not have come up with a different way to do it? Hell, just change the color scheme or the salute. Doing them both just tied it too close to Nazi stuff for me.

And I didn't realize Poe took his jacket off when they got into the tie fighter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.