*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,706 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Yoda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He meant Vader's red saber lostwhen Luke lopped off his hand.
Dro07
AG
I'm a moron for talking newb crap and not reading everything correctly
PatAg
AG
I also think some people went into this movie looking ti find things they didn't like. Confirmation bias is a *****!
jabberwalkie09
AG
I also think there was a small percentage of people that went into the film looking for some of the EU to be canonized.
Satellite of Love
quote:
I also think there was a small percentage of people that went into the film looking for some of the EU to be canonized.

One can dream right, RIGHT?!????
evan_aggie
AG
A lot of people are questioning the circumstance and the disbelief that everyone crosses paths.

What's wrong with just believing the force is almost like an omniscient presence on it's own. To balance the sides, given time, will guide those on the side of light to eventually rebuild and come together.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
A lot of people are questioning the circumstance and the disbelief that everyone crosses paths.

What's wrong with just believing the force is almost like an omniscient presence on it's own. To balance the sides, given time, will guide those on the side of light to eventually rebuild and come together.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Star Wars is not a science fiction movie, it's a fantasy movie.
bangobango
AG
No way Rey is Kenobi's daughter. She'd have to be over thirty years old.

Would feel more forced/dumb to make her related to Kenobi than Luke, IMO. And I'm already on record as saying I thought it was a bad idea to make all the new characters related to the old characters.
TelcoAg
AG
Oh, I wasn't saying Rey keeps the saber. That scene where they both tried to force pull the saber has to happen.

I was just saying that she wouldn't get the saber from Maz, get the visions after touching it, and then run away the same way she did in the version we saw.

This really is an inconsequential conversation. I just can't help but think that the scene originally wasn't supposed to be Rey being drawn into the basement, especially with the images from the trailer.
G Martin 87
AG
OK, here's a fun theory. Remember in ESB, when Luke leaves Dagobah, Ghost Ben says "that boy was our last hope." Yoda replies "no, there is another." Well, for years everyone assumed that Yoda was talking about Leia. What if Yoda was talking about the future? Moreover, what if Luke's lightsaber (like The One Ring) decided that Luke wasn't the best bet and "escaped" on Cloud City in order to be "lost" and "found" by the next Skywalker descendant?
TelcoAg
AG
I remember that and I remember in RotJ, Luke asking if their was another, and Ben telling him 'yes, there is another. It's your twin sister.'
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
This really is an inconsequential conversation. I just can't help but think that the scene originally wasn't supposed to be Rey being drawn into the basement, especially with the images from the trailer.
There were rumors for a long time that Rey (Kira) went down to Maz's (Rose) vault and discovered the saber and she then went out and ran away from the castle and was captured. Honestly, I remember TCTTS and I discussing the hand in the trailer and both of us came to the conclusion that it was Leia and not Rey taking the saber from Maz. The clothing seems to match what Leia wore most of the movie in that particular sequence IIRC.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I remember that and I remember in RotJ, Luke asking if their was another, and Ben telling him 'yes, there is another. It's your twin sister.'
"From a certain point of view."
TelcoAg
AG
Here's a question: would you be angry if you never find out who Rey's mother is?

It's not like we know who Anakin's father is (assuming that we've officially killed the Baby Jesus stuff from Lucas).
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:

Would feel more forced/dumb to make her related to Kenobi than Luke, IMO. And I'm already on record as saying I thought it was a bad idea to make all the new characters related to the old characters.

Star Wars is about the Skywalker family. It would be a bad idea not to have new characters related to old ones.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Star Wars is about the Skywalker family. It would be a bad idea not to have new characters related to old ones.
And to make a point, Poe isn't related to any of the OT characters, and I really doubt that Finn is. Having Rey a Skywalker and Kylo a Solo is not a bad thing.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Here's a question: would you be angry if you never find out who Luke's mother is?

Eh?
wanewman
Maybe it's been mentioned, but did anyone else notice BB-8 purrs?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Here's a question: would you be angry if you never find out who Luke's mother is?

It's not like we know who Anakin's father is (assuming that we've officially killed the Baby Jesus stuff from Lucas).

We know who Luke's mother is. Do you mean Rey?
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

We know who Luke's mother is. Do you mean Rey?

Yeah, sorry. Was thinking about something else while typing. Would you be upset if Rea's mother is never revealed?
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

I honestly think I'd be more upset if we found out Rey wasn't related to anyone from the OT. The idea of "this girl was born from people you never heard of but is more powerful than all of them because \_()_/," is complete ****.
Donald Glover
AG
Luke's mother is Padme, I assume you mean Rey?
AliasMan02
AG
One thing about Rey potentially being a Solo or Skywalker, the novelization makes a point that Snoke had been waiting for Han and Leia to have a kid so that he could corrupt him. Han and Leia knew that is what happened

So, it would make sense that if Luke had a family, he would have kept it secret after seeing what happened to Ben/Kylo.
mazag08
AG
Bb8 is pretty much a pet in this movie. I found myself smiling ear to ear every scene it was in. Absolutely fantastic planning for that character. And Han had the best interactions, once again, with the non human characters.

I really want them to develop Poe into that character that isn't quite the main one.. but the one that brings it all together. Isaac has the talent to be the next Han Solo type that makes the movie go round.
TelcoAg
AG
Man, I really hope that this doesn't end with Snoke, if he is Darth Plagieus, being revealed as the father of Anakin by technicality.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
I think we'll see Poe and Finn develop as being bros, on an adventure together, probably on the run from Phasma.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Regarding Maz having the lightsaber, she obviously has a history with Han and Chewie, lots of power and connections in the world of smugglers, crime, and espionage, and some connection to the Force. I find it very unsurprising that a person like that would end up with Luke's lightsaber.

do you find it surprising at all that she would have it unguarded effectively in an unlocked box in the basement?

jabberwalkie09
AG
Poe: "Who is that amazon woman?"
Finn: "Phasma."
Poe: "What's a 'Phasma'?"
Finn: "She will dominate your destiny."
Poe: "So pretty much a normal woman?"
Red Five
AG
quote:
Man, I really hope that this doesn't end with Snoke, if he is Darth Plagieus, being revealed as the father of Anakin by technicality.
I had always inferred from Palpatine's telling of Plagieus's story that Palpatine created Anakin.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
I had always inferred from Palpatine's telling of Plagieus's story to be an indication that Palpatine created Anakin.
Could you elaborate on that? I didn't get that impression at all.
Red Five
AG
This is the discussion Palpatine and Anakin have:
quote:
Supreme Chancellor: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
Anakin Skywalker: He could do that? He could actually save people from death?
Supreme Chancellor: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
Anakin Skywalker: What happened to him?
Supreme Chancellor: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic that he could save others from death, but not himself.
Anakin Skywalker: Is it possible to learn this power?
Supreme Chancellor: Not from a Jedi.

Plagueis was Darth Sidious's (Palpatine) master, and he states that he learned from him the ability to create life from the force. My inference from that exchange is that he is stating that he created Anakin from the force, I assume to bring about the prophecy.

It's just my own speculation, because I can't see any other reason they would have gone with the whole Darth Jesus angle otherwise.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Sounds like you enjoyed the movie Muck, although you made similar lists for the prequels, so still not sure.
It took me 12 years to come up with 50 things I liked about AOTC. It took me about an hour to think of 30things about TFA.
Knife_Party
Darth Jesus was another one of Lucas' ******ed ass ideas along with midichlorians, the intricasies of senate proceedings, and jar jar. I think they are trying to move away from that stuff as much as possible.
Bunk Moreland
I very much enjoyed it. I'm not a star wars fanboy at all. In fact, I. Had to watch 4, 5, and 6 this weekend to sort or refresh my memory as I probably haven't seen those in 10+ years.

I never saw 1-3 and at the suggestion of my star wars fanboy friend, I did not go back and watch those. He actually says that he wishes he wasn't privy to that bull**** at all

That was a really fun ride. Happy that Han carried so much of the film. Oscar Isaac is like a trusty old motor. Put him in any situation and he fires up great every time. The new characters were good. Rey did a great job.

I stopped reading this thread after page 5 but I'll post a few thoughts:

I think R2 woke up when Rey got back and he sensed the force that she had channeled.

I also agree that Rey is able to channel a massive amount of the force unlike anything we've seen.

Having not seen the original 3 in so long, I did notice the line by Yoda the other day about "there's another." obviously Yoda can see in the future, at least some things, so I think he meant Rey.

I enjoyed Kylo trying to extract the map info out of her mind, and he glosses right over what he thought was some fantasy of hers.. Ocean, an island, etc. Little did he know(and her for that matter) that was her future, which was where Luke was, not a fantasy or dream.

A lot of good stuff in this. Need to go back and RE watch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.