*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,692 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twenty-five pages in... I kinda hope Rey isn't related to any previous characters. Maybe Han and Leia (and Kylo) know her from Luke's school. Maybe she was some sort of prodigy and the source of some of Kylo's anger. When the school was blown up, she was put into Jedi witness protection on a desert planet (SOP for these films after all).
jeffk
AG
Also, more adorable robot - BB-8 or WALL-E?
Raggy09
AG
Finally got to see it last night.
If there is one movie series that makes me feel like a kid again, it's Star Wars. Did not disappoint with this movie.
Question: If I've only seen the movies, what other canonical works should I read/watch to delve deeper? Back in the day I read a couple of books from the expanded universe, but nothing since.

Luke's buildup was amazing.
I honestly think Rey is Han and Leia's daughter.
Can't wait for Episode VIII.
Ulrich
Kind of ironic that a career voice actor never said a word in episode VII.
Ulrich
I think some of the gripes about the buildup to Han's death have to do with the director's goal. He wanted dread, not suspense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But that face acting was the best acting he's done all series.
suburban cowboy
AG
Rey is Luke's daughter.

The final scene was Rey handing over the light saber to her father (Luke). -- perfectly sets up a "Rey, I am your father" scene for VIII. The biggest question is who Rey's mother will be.

Han's final scene was his son (Kylo) handing over his light saber before killing him.

Very symbolic and well executed by JJ.

Donald Glover
AG
Dang I didnt realize that was Domnhall Gleason, that was such a great acting job by Isaac and probably the second best movie in 2015 IMO
Madmarttigan
AG
I fell behind for a day or 2 and this has added 1000 posts. I give up.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
- When Kylo is interrogating Rey, does he put his helmet on top of Vader's ashes?
Oh ****.

This was my thought too.

(page 41 - almost done)
M.C. Swag
AG
Oscar Isaac is already a Hollywood star. He's the most naturally talented actor of ANY Star Wars film. (Liam Neeson and Alec Guinness are close seconds)

Daisy Ridley just caught her ticket to stardom. She's gonna be Jennifer Lawrence type famous and her limit is only restricted to her film choices.

Boyega - I LOVED this dude in Attack The Block. He had a Denzel Washington vibe and the fact he can carry a near flawless American accent will only open more doors for him.

Adam Driver - as lame as it sounds, this guy carries Girls. (Super super lame HBO show that my gf makes me watch). His ears are annoyingly large but the dude has some chops for drama.

Seriously though, this entire cast is ridiculously talented. And that's before you take into account people you don't get to see like Lupita N'yong and Andy Serkis who are comets in their own rights. I mean, guys we really couldn't ask for more.

This trilogy is in great hands.
Ulrich
quote:
Rey is Luke's daughter.

The final scene was Rey handing over the light saber to her father (Luke). -- perfectly sets up a "Rey, I am your father" scene for VIII. The biggest question is who Rey's mother will be.

Han's final scene was his son (Kylo) handing over his light saber before killing him.

Very symbolic and well executed by JJ.

Rey's response: "I know"
redline248
AG
I was really thinking/expecting Luke to say to Rey "you look just like your mother," and have it end there.
jeffk
AG
And... DONE.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sitting in the theater for viewing #3. Filling up quick.
Scantron882
AG
I saw it Monday with my 14 year old son. Agree with much of what has been posted praising the film, we thought it was great.

I was not expecting the added enjoyment I got from watching it with my son. I was caught a bit off guard by how much I enjoyed seeing him respond to the appearances of the original characters and the Falcon, lots of smiles and nods as those unfolded throughout the film.

We talked at length after the movie and can't wait to go see the next one.

My son was too young to see the prequels in the theater however I had purchased the boxed set of all 6 dvds for him when he was 7 or 8 and he has watched them all many times. He knows much more about the story lines and characters than I do.

I thought back later how much fun it was to see the originals as a kid myself and how I remember which theater and who was with me when I saw the first 3 as a kid. I hope my son gets to reflect back on this one and the next couple in the same way and share with his kids one day well.

CAR96
AG
In theater again to see it the 2nd time. Expecting it to be just as great. This time not in IMAX 3D, just the Dolby Atmos. Really want to see in IMAX, not 3D.
letters at random
Saw it today. Best Star Wars yet.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Just saw it.

My initial thoughts:

Happy for Luke that he can now marry Leia w out that meddling Han around.

Also Im guessing the Empire still hasn't fired its crappy engineers yet? I mean ANOTHER death star destroyed seemingly so easily?

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ok seriously...

I think its a solid movie head and shoulders above prequels but then again so was the fan fiction i wrote myself when i was 11.

I'd say its way better than prequels but a notch below the originals. I think when the dust settles and excitement dies down a bit itll historically be seen that way too.

I know they were going for affect but i think they shoulda developed Ren a bit more before unmasking him. Woulda made it more dramatic down the road. Id bet Abrams toyed w the idea of not unmasking him during the process.

Rey is hot.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
Also Im guessing the Empire still hasn't fired its crappy engineers yet? I mean ANOTHER death star destroyed seemingly so easily?
Let's be fair here. The Death Star only took out one planet, and that was after being built 1 1/2 times. The Starkiller took out 5 planets in one shot, damn near crippling the New Republic in one blow. So the engineers were at least 500% better this time around.
Philo B 93
Would have been cool to see Chewy with a little gray in the beard.
TelcoAg
AG

quote:
I know they were going for affect but i think they shoulda developed Ren a bit more before unmasking him. Woulda made it more dramatic down the road. Id bet Abrams toyed w the idea of not unmasking him during the process.
I dunno. If you think people complained about how whiny and effeminate he looked before, just imagine what it's like if they put a lot of build-up into it.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
He is approximately 236 years old...
TelcoAg
AG
So he's about 47 in Human years. We can expect him to start barking about 'getting too old for this ****' by Star Wars XI.
Donald Glover
AG
Wouldnt be surprised to see Chewy die in VIII, can there really be a Chewy with no Han?
TelcoAg
AG
He's very brave.
Duncan Idaho
I am only on page 8 but was I the oy one that thought bb8 was flipping Finn off and not giving him a thumbs up?

The cgi squids were bad, but my one major wtf? was Han acting like he had never fired chewys bow caster
TelcoAg
AG
A few people have. It's funny that it could go either way.

Chewy crafts his own bowcasters and tinkers with them constantly. I think Han hadn't fired this bowcaster yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Han you imagine a Chewie death scene though? Holy ****.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow. That typo.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
More I think about it, the more I'm convinced Rey is not Luke's daughter, but I do think she has a previous connection (not necessarily familial) to Kylo.

Every time throughout the movie she is brought up as "a girl" or "the girl", he seems to have very strong reactions and premonitions to it. I think it's likely they were together when Luke was training.

I really do think VIII and IX will take on a life of their own.
Ulrich
About the Snoke/Plagueis rumor... wasn't the initial title of VII "An Ancient Evil"? The Sith are ancient, but they are also current, so to me that title implies a completely different "line" of Force users that has been dormant/hidden for a very long time. Kylo Ren's different set of Force skills and non-Force using auxiliaries in The Knights of Ren would be departures from Sith tradition as well.

I don't think they'll do very many callbacks to the prequels anyway, and this one particular one seems unnecessary.
InternetFan02
AG
Question: were there *any* references to the prequels? Were they really able to ignore that they existed?

I remember a mention of clone troopers vs storm troopers but the Clone wars were mentioned in episode IV.

They showed the planet being destroyed that *looked like* something from the prequels but was it listed by name as matching?

Did anyone use the term Sith?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.