*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

370,739 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Initial reaction:

Pro: I think overall the best acted of any Star Wars film. Really liked the chemistry between Finn and Rey.

Con: Apparently not satisfied with retconning one of the greatest screen villains of all time into a wooden emo loser in the prequels, they start the sequels with a villain who is a wooden emo loser from the word go. Why?

The only thing that made the whole insufferable chapter of the prequels at least a coherent story was recasting the whole Epic as the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker...except now it seems he turned back to evil after he died and possessed his grandkid. I'm sure there will be some convoluted, dualistic interpretation of this, but really, I would think Han and Leia's kid could turn out evil without the direct personal involvement of Darth Vader.

Initially enjoyed the lighter tone after the heavy handed, taking itself way too seriously feel of the prequels (and ROTJ, honestly), but think Abrams took it too far. Putting in lines for the explicit purpose of drawing laughs is not Star Wars.

Overall: Meh. I'm neither for or against the retelling of New Hope as a new movie, but this one won't hold up well in comparison when the whiz-bang NEW feel wears off.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
Absolutely loved the opening seen with the moon getting eclipsed by the star destroyer.
The opening scene was rad... I felt like I was watching a clip from Fantasia... The music and the 4 assault craft launching right with the musical change and heading down to the planet... It was a great intro.

One more incongruity that I didn't like (and hate in general about movies with military in them) ranks versus size of units responsible for.... CAPTAIN Phasma has a whole DIVISION? This is the ARMY right? Stormtroopers are infantry and I assume have army ranks. A captain would be in charge of a company, maybe a battalion at most. Certainly not a Brigade let alone a DIVISION... She should be GENERAL Phasma if that's the case... Pet peeve.
This bothers you????? This is a Star Wars universe, not the American military. Why should United States ranking rules be followed in a fictional universe where the United States, or even Earth for that matter, doesn't exist.
amercer
AG
Read all 59 pages. Took me three days.

Not much to add really. I'd give it 10/10. A perfect Star Wars movie.

The first thing I thought about leaving the movie was how much of the trailers wasn't in the film. Most have been explained or not that important, but there was one line from a recent spot that I haven't seen anyone mention on this thread. Someone, sounds like Maz, says "hope was not lost today, it was found" . It's hard to image that line not being pretty consequential for the plot.

90% Rey is Lukes kid, but my favorite idea is that she's the emperors granddaughter. Palps most feared his apprentices son, why wouldn't Plaegus most fear the decendant of his?

No problem with Rey's use of the force. She's already a kickass fighter so that's taken care of, and she's a mechanical genus and a great pilot. We've seen that before, but maybe it's just a general feature of strong force users and not just a Skywalker thing.
amercer
AG
Oh, one other thing I really want to watch for on the second viewing is when Kylo kills the old guy at the beginning. My initial thought was that it was just an empty robe on the ground
redline248
AG
I kind of doubt it, but if so we need to know a LOT more about that guy.
Scotch
AG
Just finished third viewing. It gets better every time because
a) I'm not hyper-critical of everything due to not wanting to be let down
b) I notice little (and not so little) things I missed before. This thread is to thank for much of that.
c) because the movie kicks ass

For those who were disappointed the first time around, please see it again on the big screen. It's well worth it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm sure everyone has noticed the similarity by now.

Gimme Daisy over Keira any day. And I've loved Keira for years.

There were a couple of scenes where Ridley would smile and she would almost look like Knightley's twin. But... I'm pretty much replying just to have the picture posted again.
I like Daisy....

Knightly is a decent actress... But I can't stand her expressions and faces... She always looks malnourished and like she can't ever close her mouth, and I always expect her to have saliva collecting at the corners of her mouth and to always be making a sucking sounds like she's wearing a retainer or something... She's awful.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
What if Rey is Leia's daughter, but Han isn't the father?

That would explain why Han didn't recognize her and why she and Leia seemed to have a connection.
What if Rey is Lor San Tekka and Leia's daughter.... Would explain why he thinks of her as royalty and is fond of her and is on Jakku....
JAggie2007
AG
Posting just to say I've finally read all 59 pages of this thread and am finally caught up. Saw it on a regular screen my first viweing, can't wait to watch it on IMAX when it comes time for my second viewing.

I think I'd give it a 9/10, nothing to really say that hasn't been said already.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Ben Kenobi could had a sibling. Ray could be his great niece.
Schmi Skywalker coulda had siblings as well
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Nobody else wonder why in the entire Star Wars universe the only humans who can communicate/understand Chewbacca are Han Solo.....and Rey. Coincidence?
and Leia, Luke, and Lando....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And Yoda.

Nevermind, said humans.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
Nobody else wonder why in the entire Star Wars universe the only humans who can communicate/understand Chewbacca are Han Solo.....and Rey. Coincidence?
and Leia, Luke, and Lando....

And Obi-Wan, who could actually SPEAK Shyriiwook.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Absolutely loved the opening seen with the moon getting eclipsed by the star destroyer.
The opening scene was rad... I felt like I was watching a clip from Fantasia... The music and the 4 assault craft launching right with the musical change and heading down to the planet... It was a great intro.

One more incongruity that I didn't like (and hate in general about movies with military in them) ranks versus size of units responsible for.... CAPTAIN Phasma has a whole DIVISION? This is the ARMY right? Stormtroopers are infantry and I assume have army ranks. A captain would be in charge of a company, maybe a battalion at most. Certainly not a Brigade let alone a DIVISION... She should be GENERAL Phasma if that's the case... Pet peeve.
This bothers you????? This is a Star Wars universe, not the American military. Why should United States ranking rules be followed in a fictional universe where the United States, or even Earth for that matter, doesn't exist.
The graphic on the previous page explained it; just did t know captain in First Order was essentially an O6-O7 type... Makes sense now...

It bothers me especially in other movies where it is dealing with US military ranks, and they have a E5 leading a company, or a LT in charge of a fire team. Rarely get it right.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Also proud to say I am finally caught up on all 59 pages and looking forward to more debate on theories and argument over meanings I the movies... Hoping to see this in IMAX 3D at Edwards 70mm on my next viewing.... Maybe a Hoiston TexAgs StarWars get together?
Texaggie7nine
Ya well good luck on the 70mm part cuz that ain't happenin
7nine
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm sure everyone has noticed the similarity by now.

Gimme Daisy over Keira any day. And I've loved Keira for years.

There were a couple of scenes where Ridley would smile and she would almost look like Knightley's twin. But... I'm pretty much replying just to have the picture posted again.
I like Daisy....

Knightly is a decent actress... But I can't stand her expressions and faces... She always looks malnourished and like she can't ever close her mouth, and I always expect her to have saliva collecting at the corners of her mouth and to always be making a sucking sounds like she's wearing a retainer or something... She's awful.
ummm... whatever dude.....

top 5 for me....and i'm like....

amercer
AG
quote:
Ya well good luck on the 70mm part cuz that ain't happenin

I did.

It was real, and spectacular.
Donald Glover
AG
I know Rick isnt telling Lori she's perfect...
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Haven't read the entire thing yet so this has probably been discussed. But couldn't they have used CGI on Leia? Drugs and (presumably) plastic surgery have her looking AWFUL.
amercer
AG
quote:
Haven't read the entire thing yet so this has probably been discussed. But couldn't they have used CGI on Leia? Drugs and (presumably) plastic surgery have her looking AWFUL.

She's an old lady. Does she look any worse than Hillary?
JetAg
AG
quote:
I didn't think she looks all that bad - old age will do that to you. Add in the fact that she's been leading a galactic fight for 30 years or so and I think she looks just about right - almost perfect. For context, look at any president 4 or 8 years after taking office - stress and lack of sleep really affect people's appearance.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, anyone over the age of 65 should be replaced by a CGI version of their younger selves.
Scotch
AG
Leia looks better on later viewing after the initial shock wears off, but the director of VIII should make her sign a no Botox pledge.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Her looks are fine. It's her acting that was bad. She was easily the weakest part of the movie.
Philip J Fry
AG
When was the last time she was in anything?
The Collective
AG
Watching her talk reminded me of watching Beru in the special editions... something off with that speech and facial movement.
benMath08
AG
quote:
Watching her talk reminded me of watching Beru in the special editions... something off with that speech and facial movement.
Beru is dubbed over by another actress, isn't she?
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
Beru is dubbed over by another actress, isn't she?
She is, Lucas wasn't happy with her accent
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol, the idiots over on 4chan are convinced Poe and Finn are gay.
The Collective
AG
I did not know that. It just looks silly when she says, "he has too much of his father in him". I didn't recall that as a kid, so I figured it was a special edition problem but maybe it has always been an issue.
The Collective
AG
quote:

More SJW bull****. They will riot when they find out both fictional characters like poon exclusively.
Flashdiaz
AG
There's already a gay character in starwars... C3po
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

I'm not necessarily against a gay relationship, but I think they have more chemistry as a bromance. For that matter, I would kinda love it of none of the new protagonists ended up with each other.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree on all points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.