*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

381,156 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting side note for X-Wing lovers. We all know the T-65 was the ship of the Rebellion era. The Resistance uses the umproved T-70. The Republic, however, flies the T-85, which is as maneuverable as a Rebellion-era A-Wing.

Neat.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
A quick update from my replay of KOTOR - I just straight up "cleansed the grove" of Juhani on Dantooine. I always hated that whiner when she joined the party.
The Ragonk Strikes Back
The Ragonk Strikes Back
The Ragonk Strikes Back
I loved it!!!!
snowdog90
quote:
quote:
Vader >>>>> Kylo Ren
Luke >>>>> Rey
Young Han >>>>> Old Han/Finn
Young Leia >>>>> Poe
Based solely on Episode IV vs. Episode VII

I'll give you these.

Vader >>>>> Kylo Ren
Young Han >>>>> Old Han/Finn

Rey>>>>>>Luke
A scavenger who never complains, is always helping others and then uses the force in a pretty solid lightsaber duel vs. a complaining farm boy who literally *****es the entire movie up until the point where he listens to a force ghost to blow up the death star.

Poe >>>=== Young Leia
Hot shot pilot is is witty like Han and kicks ass in the air vs. a damsel in distress

C'mon man.

Luke was a whiny ***** at first, but he was believable as a badass later on in ANH because his character had been more fully developed than Rey's. Rey is not believable for me. Sbe fights like the 100-lb girl she is in the light saber duel. I just have trouble buying her transformation/abilities. I realize Rey is adored by most, but I don't see it.

Poe was not in this movie enough to compare to any of the main characters of ANH. He honestly had maybe 10 minutes of screen time. To say he's better than Leia is crazy talk.

Star Wars (ANH) was successful because it was new, original, unique, smart funny in the right places, dramatic in the right places, suspenseful, and the characters were believable.

I just don't think the same is true for TFA.
snowdog90
quote:
Also, Vader was a badass looking, menacing villain, but he was not fleshed out in the first movie. That came later.

You cannot fairly compare Kylo's one movie appearance to Vader's six.

Kylo is a much better, deeper character than Vader was one movie in.

Is this not common sense?

Kylo Ren was easily my favorite character in the movie, but Darth Vader is one of the greatest cinematic villains ever - in just A New Hope. Every scene he's in in ANH is menacing and suspenseful. He keeps killing his own guys for their failures. He chokes people from across the room. His very breath is menacing and foreboding.

Kylo Ren can't beat a 100-lb girl in a light saber battle when she's literally never even held a light saber before.

Is it not common sense who the better villain is?

Also, Darth Vader wasn't in six movies, only three, and I didn't even like the third one. Annie Skywalker is no Darth Vader.
snowdog90
quote:
Can you do the 2000 word version? I'd love to read it.

And what 12 year old is ranking movies out of 10?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about reading 2000 words. TC pretty much has the views I have of the movie.

Paul, my 12-yr-old, is not a movie lover. 2 hours in a chair is like torture to him unless the movie is great, or makes him really think.

3 recent movies he has seen and loved are Looper, Edge of Tomorrow and Sixth Sense.
He hated TFA. I asked him to rate it on a scale of 10, he said 2. His older brothers liked it but didn't love it.

Again, I wanted to love it, but....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Stronger and/or cooler villain is not what I was talking about. I said deeper character.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
quote:
Also, Vader was a badass looking, menacing villain, but he was not fleshed out in the first movie. That came later.

You cannot fairly compare Kylo's one movie appearance to Vader's six.

Kylo is a much better, deeper character than Vader was one movie in.

Is this not common sense?

Kylo Ren was easily my favorite character in the movie, but Darth Vader is one of the greatest cinematic villains ever - in just A New Hope. Every scene he's in in ANH is menacing and suspenseful. He keeps killing his own guys for their failures. He chokes people from across the room. His very breath is menacing and foreboding.

Kylo Ren can't beat a 100-lb girl in a light saber battle when she's literally never even held a light saber before.

Is it not common sense who the better villain is?

Also, Darth Vader wasn't in six movies, only three, and I didn't even like the third one. Annie Skywalker is no Darth Vader.
Kylo Ren's character is a whiny, conflicted brat who uses his light saber to smash thing in temper tantrums. Darth Vader was just a generic bad guy in black who didn't even need to move or ever take off the mask for any kind of expression of character. The idea that they should be similar? Meh. Vader in the initial movie is closer to being Darth Maul than he is to being Kylo Ren. It's surprising Lucas didn't kill him off immediately knowing how it goes in most Lucas films. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that was the case, except they edited it out when they had to go in and save that movie in editing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
Can you do the 2000 word version? I'd love to read it.

And what 12 year old is ranking movies out of 10?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about reading 2000 words. TC pretty much has the views I have of the movie.

Paul, my 12-yr-old, is not a movie lover. 2 hours in a chair is like torture to him unless the movie is great, or makes him really think.

3 recent movies he has seen and loved are Looper, Edge of Tomorrow and Sixth Sense.
He hated TFA. I asked him to rate it on a scale of 10, he said 2. His older brothers liked it but didn't love it.

Again, I wanted to love it, but....
I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I'll give you my email address if you prefer to send it just to me.
jackie childs
quote:
17 months....until Episode VIII

but only 12 months until Rogue One - a one off movie set between Episode 3 and 4 with none of the familiar SW roles except vader (that we know of, maybe a cameo?).

so this may have already been discussed elsewhere, but we don't know for sure who any of the characters are in Rogue one, right?

it'd be cool if the old guy from the beginning of TFA is a key character so we can learn more about him.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

but only 12 months until Rogue One - a one off movie set between Episode 3 and 4 with none of the familiar SW roles except vader (that we know of, maybe a cameo?).

so this may have already been discussed elsewhere, but we don't know for sure who any of the characters are in Rogue one, right?

it'd be cool if the old guy from the beginning of TFA is a key character so we can learn more about him.

except he would be much younger....it's 35 years before the events of TFA. It's possible of course, but would random fans make the connection to a completely different actor.

Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Lol, $4.50.

I've shelled out $55 on this movie and regret nothing.
I'm going on much more than that between myself and family members seeing it multiple times PLUS lining up to buy the t-shirts and special 3D glasses at the theater opening night AND the Stars Wars toys I've bought my 2 kids this Christmas. I bet I'm pushing $500 by now and I've loved spending every penny of it.
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
quote:

except he would be much younger....it's 35 years before the events of TFA. It's possible of course, but would random fans make the connection to a completely different actor.

I don't think you worry too much about the random/casual fans making the connection.

it was clear from his exchanges with both Poe and Kylo that the old guy has been around and seen a lot in his day, so whether anybody connects him back to the old guy from TFA or not, his is a story that would make sense to share. and Rogue One seems like a reasonable vehicle to do that, timing-wise.
Satellite of Love
quote:

Is it not common sense who the better villain

Ren had just been shot in the left side of his torso by a freaking crossbow. You know that powerful weapon Chewie used that knocked stormtroopers of their feet when shot?! Ren was injured during the saber fight. Plus it isn't like Rey had true sabe skills. She spent most of the fight trying to stab at Ren like poking a dead body with a stick.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Interesting side note for X-Wing lovers. We all know the T-65 was the ship of the Rebellion era. The Resistance uses the umproved T-70. The Republic, however, flies the T-85, which is as maneuverable as a Rebellion-era A-Wing.

Neat.

Shoot that is bad arse! I love me some agile A-wing!
joemeister
AG
B-Wing or gtfo.

In all seriousness, if some of you haven't played Star Wars: Empire at War (old RTS game), buy it off Steam for $5 during the sale. The space combat is simplistic, but much like running over Orcs with the Roherrim in Battle for Middle Earth, it's tough to find a more satisfying way to kill 15 minutes than killing a space station with 30 Y-Wings.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Luke was a whiny ***** at first, but he was believable as a badass later on in ANH because his character had been more fully developed than Rey's. Rey is not believable for me. Sbe fights like the 100-lb girl she is in the light saber duel. I just have trouble buying her transformation/abilities. I realize Rey is adored by most, but I don't see it.

Luke developed as a character? He went from whiney teen on Tatooine to holding a lightsaber for a few mins on the Falcon to stormtrooper running around the death star to blowing up the death star....how did he developed? Because he wasn't crushed in the trash compactor? All we know about his back ground is that he lives with his uncle and his father is dead.

At least with Rey we learned HOW she got to Jakku, that she was surviving there, learned skills to survive, was mechanically inclined, had a little more depth than Luke emotionally. She fights small because she is small and had no formal training with Anakin's lightsaber.
JJxvi
AG
How did Rey get to Jakku?
joemeister
AG
quote:
How did Rey get to Jakku?
Did you miss the part where Obi Wan Kenobi's ghost and Luke dropped off their love-child in the desert so that she could experience an authentic post-Order 66 Jedi child hood?
Bruce Almighty
AG
As a stand alone film, ANH does not have well developed characters. If the rest of the movies were never made, the movie today would be viewed as a spectacle of its time but not necessarily a great story.
caleblyn
quote:
quote:

Is it not common sense who the better villain

Ren had just been shot in the left side of his torso by a freaking crossbow. You know that powerful weapon Chewie used that knocked stormtroopers of their feet when shot?! Ren was injured during the saber fight. Plus it isn't like Rey had true sabe skills. She spent most of the fight trying to stab at Ren like poking a dead body with a stick.

Kylo could foresee the Poe shot but not Chewy's. Was he distracted by killing pappy?

Btw, the stopping of Poe's shot in mid-air was stinking awesome. Looked like the Matrix.
maca1028
redline248
AG
I would buy the distraction angle, but it's similar to what I brought up before. When Rey ignites the lightsaber, why wouldn't he just freeze her in place like he did on Maz's planet?

Maybe he thought she could break out of it like she did his mind invasion?
213 Grove
AG
I haven't looked at any of this thread but does everyone think that's the last we see of Han Solo or do we get glimpses of him again like Obi Wan
redline248
AG
Considering Ford appears to be completely done with it...
JJxvi
AG
Force users had grown ridiculously extravagant and powerful, so I'm glad they humanized Kylo Ren a little. I think it was ridiculous before to have force users that seemed invincible unless facing others and who could fight on lava flows while other got wasted like redshirts when we didnt know their names.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I would buy the distraction angle, but it's similar to what I brought up before. When Rey ignites the lightsaber, why wouldn't he just freeze her in place like he did on Maz's planet?

It's tough to use such powers on someone whose ally is the Force. Rey was susceptible before because she was either ignorant of it or denying it. Once she grabs the lightsaber, she is starting to accept it.
benMath08
AG
quote:
quote:

It's tough to use such powers on someone whose ally is the Force. Rey was susceptible before because she was either ignorant of it or denying it. Once she grabs the lightsaber, she is starting to accept it.
Yes, otherwise why would they even bother with lightsabers. Every fight between force users would just be two people standing apart trying to snap each other's neck with the force.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
I haven't looked at any of this thread but does everyone think that's the last we see of Han Solo or do we get glimpses of him again like Obi Wan
The end of Episode III implied that the ability to return as a Force ghost was a particularly novel skill (although Anakin's appearance at the end of ROTJ would appear to contradict that). Han has no evident Force powers at any point, so it would be a substantial departure from canon for him to return.

Plus Harrison Ford wanted to be done with this character thirty years ago and it took a whole ****pot of money to get him to be in this one, so I think all signs point to no.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CrottyKid
AG
Ren's confidence had been shaken. The film takes great pains to communicate this.

Chewie's crossbow is really powerful. The film takes great pains to communicate this.

Rey is good at hand fighting. She beats up several would-be abductors with what appears to be a makeshift bow staff. It is a stretch, but if she is that good with martial arts, some of it might transfer to the use of a light sabre.

Finally, Rey appears to be the most powerful character to date. She has innate abilities that took Luke Skywalker years to master. Perhaps her father taught her some of the basics when she was a tiny child. Remember, Yoda said Luke was too old when he started the training.

That's how I explain it. Then again, I am not one to try to pick apart a movie about things going on in space a long time ago.
wangus12
AG
quote:
She spent most of the fight trying to stab at Ren like poking a dead body with a stick.

213 Grove
AG
quote:
quote:
The end of Episode III implied that the ability to return as a Force ghost was a particularly novel skill (although Anakin's appearance at the end of ROTJ would appear to contradict that). Han has no evident Force powers at any point, so it would be a substantial departure from canon for him to return.

Plus Harrison Ford wanted to be done with this character thirty years ago and it took a whole ****pot of money to get him to be in this one, so I think all signs point to no.

Ah got it. I haven't paid close attention to outside details yet
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
B-Wing or gtfo.

In all seriousness, if some of you haven't played Star Wars: Empire at War (old RTS game), buy it off Steam for $5 during the sale. The space combat is simplistic, but much like running over Orcs with the Roherrim in Battle for Middle Earth, it's tough to find a more satisfying way to kill 15 minutes than killing a space station with 30 Y-Wings.

I just found my old copy and I have been enjoying the time wasting skirmishes. I also just reinstalled KOTOR and working that story again. Ep VII has definitely given me Star Wars nostalgia.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.