*** STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Spoiler Discussion/Reactions ***

369,726 Views | 2952 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philip J Fry
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can finally read this thread!
redline248
AG
See you in 2 days
Donald Glover
AG
Ahh ok interesting
BeefAg_00~
quote:
quote:
Putting a strong female hero front and center isn't being overly pc, imo. There is a real gender gap in the Star Wars canon. Nothing wrong with trying to keep about half of the heroes female.

The Star Wars fanbase, in as much as it's part of geekdom at large, is historically very chauvinistic. I hope that this new relaunch continues to be part of the solution to that particular problem. I want my hypothetical daughter to be able to be an enthusiastic fan of the franchise without having to carve out some small part that is "for girls."

Agree. And maybe I'm saying it wrong. The point I meant was that if the social justice Warriors were right...You'd have people upset with the decision to go with a female to continue the story. Either in words or with their money. What we are seeing is exactly the opposite. People don't care and actually embrace it because it works.

Do you think they make Rey go all jungle fever on Finn?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Their kid would be equally light side and dark side.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
One of my friends just said that he thinks the same music was playing when they revealed Snoke and when Palpatine was talking about Plagueis. I haven't been able to check to see if that's true, but I was just wondering what yall thought about that
It's a new theme written specifically for Snoke, but the use of vocal chanting is a callback to the style of the prequel scores.
jabberwalkie09
AG
You are aware that the Emperor's Throne Room theme had a male chorus to it as well right?
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Putting a strong female hero front and center isn't being overly pc, imo. There is a real gender gap in the Star Wars canon. Nothing wrong with trying to keep about half of the heroes female.

The Star Wars fanbase, in as much as it's part of geekdom at large, is historically very chauvinistic. I hope that this new relaunch continues to be part of the solution to that particular problem. I want my hypothetical daughter to be able to be an enthusiastic fan of the franchise without having to carve out some small part that is "for girls."

Agree. And maybe I'm saying it wrong. The point I meant was that if the social justice Warriors were right...You'd have people upset with the decision to go with a female to continue the story. Either in words or with their money. What we are seeing is exactly the opposite. People don't care and actually embrace it because it works.

Do you think they make Rey go all jungle fever on Finn?
Yes they will
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Who dat?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
you're welcome

The Collective
AG
I liked the reveal of Kylo's relation early on. It got it out of the way, and I had plenty of time watching to process who he was. By the time Han speaks to Leia, and she tells him to bring back our son, I am not distracted by the confirmation of who Kylo is. Instead, my immediate thought was, damn, Leia just signed Han's death certificate.
redline248
AG
Female hero from Knights of the Old Republic video game. Basilla or something.
redline248
AG
quote:
I liked the reveal of Kylo's relation early on. It got it out of the way, and I had plenty of time watching to process who he was. By the time Han speaks to Leia, and she tells him to bring back our son, I am not distracted by the confirmation of who Kylo is. Instead, my immediate thought was, damn, Leia just signed Han's death certificate.

It also was necessary for seeing the internal struggle he had between light and dark. Made that more tangible.
Malachi Constant
AG
Bastila Shan.

Maybe this is Rey Shan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting, thanks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Interesting, thanks.
If you don't find a way to play KOTOR in 2016 I'm going to cast you into the Pit of Carkoon, nesting place of the all-mighty Sarlaac.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
totally.....and i was just enjoying how great he was in this and then that combined with knowing Harrison Fords attitude.....

i literally said "awwwww ****" in my head.....leaned over to my 20 yo star wars fanatic son and said "dead man walking" and he nodded.

but i had the briefest moment of "maybe he won't kill him" with what kylo was saying about helping him do what he couldn't do by himself....and then....ugh.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Bastila Shan was a Human female who served as a Jedi Padawan during the Jedi Civil War. Born on the planet Talravin to Helena Shan and a treasure hunter, her mother gave her up to the Jedi Order, believing that their lifestyle of travel and exertions was not suitable for her daughter. Shan was found to have an exceptional gift with a Force power known as battle meditation; which increased her allies' morale while demoralizing her enemies. Shan sided with the Jedi Council when the Jedi Knights Revan and Malak rebelled against the Council and joined the Galactic Republic in its war against the invading Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders.
Sounds familiar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What sucks is knowing that it's not canon anymore.
Knife_Party
I'm really disappointed that you never played that game.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
Just saw TFA today!

I keep going back and forth on who's daughter Rey is. I know the popular opinion is that she is Luke's daughter, but I really am leaning towards Han and Leia's. I think her being Luke's daughter is too obvious and I think its likely they will throw us a curve ball in the next movie with her story.

She is basically Han Jr, so much that they were finishing each other's sentences. And she has the empathy and caring of Leia (not to mention the force sensitivity from the Skywalker side of the family).

The obvious issue is that Han and Leia obviously didn't recognize her or acknowledge they have a daughter. It could be that Kylo was thought to have killed her a while back as part of turning towards the dark side. This would explain why they dont recognize her or acknowledge the existence of a daughter, as it would have been very tragic.

The event was likely tragic for Reynolds herself, which would explain repressed memories of the Force and how she was able to pick it up so fast. It wasn't that she was learning it, but that it was coming back to her.

Reynolds.... I like it.
wangus12
AG
As am I
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Interesting, thanks.
If you don't find a way to play KOTOR in 2016 I'm going to cast you into the Pit of Carkoon, nesting place of the all-mighty Sarlaac.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apologies all around. I hang my head in shame.

Defense: I've never owned a non-Nintendo console and my computers are usually **** for games.
The Collective
AG
Agree with other points on revealing that Han is Kylo's father early on. It also helps you understand his internal struggle, but confirms in your mind that Han's murder is premeditated. Han poses absolutely zero risk to Kylo when they are face to face, and Kylo slaughters him anyway. Cold. And to be honest, completely turned and not coming back.
Malachi Constant
AG
KOTOR on the iPad.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Let me start off by saying I don't think Rey is a Kenobi.

That being said, Obi Wan wasn't the purest of Jedi and could have possibly "broken the code" when it comes to women.

In the Clone Wars (i.e. CANON), Obi- Wan admitted to Satine of Mandalore that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she would have asked. Maybe they got busy and started an accidental lineage that led to Rey?

They better not expect me to watch F'n cartoons to understand all this stuff. If so I'm out.

This. I don't want to invest in other places for lore. Might as well be the Matrix.
The funny thing as, all you complainers would like it better than the prequel trilogy. Clone Wars was one of the most entertaining cartoons I've ever seen. It's like a PG version of Game of Thrones in that it follows a lot of characters and has a complicated plot, except it's still star wars and has a ton of action. It gives a complete picture to the war and thoroughly connects episodes 2-3. I also must say the cartoon Anakin is far superior to Hayden, so much so that I wish they would overlay the cartoon one over the film.

If you do watch it, lookup the chronological order list. I makes muy muy more sense.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Defense: I've never owned a non-Nintendo console and my computers are usually **** for games.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/

Requirements:

• Processor: Intel Pentium 3 1Ghz or AMD Athlon 1GHz
  • Memory: 256 RAM
  • Graphics: 32 MB with Hardware T&L
  • DirectX: Directx 9.0b or better
  • Hard Drive: 3.5 GB
  • Sound: Directx 9.0b compatible

If you can't play that in this day and age....
hunter2012
AG
quote:
So has the Darth Plagueis is Snoke discussion started up here yet (waited to see the movie with the Wife and didn't get a chance to join in here before now)? It's an interesting theory, and one that I now am getting behind since I didn't realize that the Darth Plagueis book was removed from Cannon with the EU books. That removal doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the book takes place well before Episode 1, and the only reason I can think of to remove this book from the timeline is if they need to rewrite something that happens in that book, possibly the whole the Darth Sidious killing Plagueis?

FYI, it was a great book that explained how Palpatine become Darth Sidious.

And for another reference, here's the cover with Plagueis on the right.

Apparently the author of Tarkin was pissed that Plagueis was removed from canon so he referenced it a ton in Tarkin. So it could be pseudo-canon?
redline248
AG
Sounds like a good reason for the film makers to not have Plagueis anywhere near a piece of this story
BeefAg_00~
quote:
I just have to say this:

My six year old IDOLIZES Han Solo. He has been his favorite character forever. He was sooo stoked when Han came on the scene. He and I high fived in the theatre.

I will never forget the look on his face when Kylo killed Han. He looked up at me and said, "Daddy, is Han Solo dead?"

And I said, "Yeah, buddy, he is."

My kid curled up in a ball on his theatre seat and cried for ten minutes. I totally had to go all dad-comfort mode and couldn't properly mourn myself.

My kid was DESTROYED by that scene. He still loves playing with his BB8/Poe/Rey Legos, but when asked, he says, "That was not a good movie."

Damn
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How is Plagueis not canon? He's mentioned in the movies.
redline248
AG
He was talking about details from the book titled Plagueis
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How is Plagueis not canon? He's mentioned in the movies.
I think they mean that the story in the Darth Plagueis novel isn't canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis_%28novel%29

The novel was moved to Legends after the Disney purchase.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.